Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We should have this conversation again.

E: oh, new page. Well, jagr said he wasn't sure about returning to the panthers next season. Though he wasn't explicit, he seems to take it as a given that he'll be back somewhere next season. Flo foreva.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Only 4 more hours until the playoffs start.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Hitchcock. God why, no please stop.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/benkuzma/status/852285735805878273

god kill me.

barkov trocheck bjugstad mackenzie barkov trocheck bjugstad mackenzie barkovtrocheck bjugstadmackenzie barkovtrocheckbjugstadmackenzie oh my god i'm in hell already it's so hot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hitchcock is such a mistake.

gently caress off, Nill.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

is it controversial of me to ask you if you're just a lovely poster or a born good poster who is transitioning

recognizing this high quality burn

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gallant is Golden Knights Head Coach

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He probably should have waited a little longer

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

Hitchcock is such a mistake.

gently caress off, Nill.

the rumors is that Nill was basically told by Gaglardi and Lites to hire Hitchcock.. I could see him coming to that hire on his own though.

Nill has to know that the noose is around his neck right now after that season, he isn't going to place his trust for his job with some rookie head coach. It was always going to be a veteran "re-tread" coach, and for the record I don't think Hitchcock is going to be any worse than the likes of Gerald Gallant or Darryl Sutter.

I mean people on twitter seem to be upset that it wasn't Gallant, wasn't he the guy who got fired because he wanted to play Shawn Thornton on the first line in Florida / wanted more Shawn Thornton types to fill out his lineup? Hitchcock for the most part seems to have been considered a very good coach for the vast majority of his time in St. Louis.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vegas starting the 2018 tank early. Hands off Dahlin, he's ours!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Starsfan posted:

the rumors is that Nill was basically told by Gaglardi and Lites to hire Hitchcock.. I could see him coming to that hire on his own though.

Nill has to know that the noose is around his neck right now after that season, he isn't going to place his trust for his job with some rookie head coach. It was always going to be a veteran "re-tread" coach, and for the record I don't think Hitchcock is going to be any worse than the likes of Gerald Gallant or Darryl Sutter.

I mean people on twitter seem to be upset that it wasn't Gallant, wasn't he the guy who got fired because he wanted to play Shawn Thornton on the first line in Florida / wanted more Shawn Thornton types to fill out his lineup? Hitchcock for the most part seems to have been considered a very good coach for the vast majority of his time in St. Louis.

i love shawn thornton

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Called it. Also I'm finding it increasingly hard to cheer on the Cats.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/hfialkov/status/852315338440146944

a 1 in 5 chance to get a potentially decent choice! hooray!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/hfialkov/status/852315338440146944

a 1 in 5 chance to get a potentially decent choice! hooray!

which one do you think is the 1? Out of curiosity. College coaches are probably not gonna be looked on favorably after how Hakstol has done, but Montgomery is a good coach. Could be a good fit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

which one do you think is the 1? Out of curiosity. College coaches are probably not gonna be looked on favorably after how Hakstol has done, but Montgomery is a good coach. Could be a good fit.

Montgomery, I don't know a lot about him but I know a lot about the other 4 at this point. some of the buzzwords about Montgomery at least sound promising for translating to NHL play

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Hands off Montgomery, he needs to bring Denver two more championships to pass Michigan for most all time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jim Montgomery is legit, Denver was suffocating this year. Dude paid his dues at every level

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Got some bad news for Flyers fans to watch (at least it's after your season so it might not be that bad.) Stolarz hyper extended his knee going post to post on a routine save during the 1st period of the WBS/LV game today. Left the locker room on crutches.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

Got some bad news for Flyers fans to watch (at least it's after your season so it might not be that bad.) Stolarz hyper extended his knee going post to post on a routine save during the 1st period of the WBS/LV game today. Left the locker room on crutches.

Appropriate ending for the Flyers season.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
They played well with Lyon when Stolarz was up with the Flyers, so they might be alright. On the bright side, they finally scored on the baby pens! They ended a drought that lasted roughly 35 years.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

sedative posted:

They played well with Lyon when Stolarz was up with the Flyers, so they might be alright. On the bright side, they finally scored on the baby pens! They ended a drought that lasted roughly 35 years.

It's funny though, because LV was the only team playing for anything (and it was obvious) and WBS still managed to outplay them until they scored their first goal, then sat back and played not to lose. Can't really be mad about the loss though, I expected the Pens to take it easy, since they already clinched the conference and they basically needed to win out while San Jose loses out to win the league.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Lindy's not a great coach, but he's pretty good. The Cats would be fun for a few years with him behind the bench.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Stretch Marx posted:

Here's their president being snarky at Willie Mitchell on twitter.

https://twitter.com/caldwell16/status/851518023039057920

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about Joel Oettinger, since there isn't a lot of info on the #1 euro goalie?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me about Joel Oettinger, since there isn't a lot of info on the #1 euro goalie?

It's Jake Oettinger but yeah basically the same height, weight and statline as Thatcher Demko at the same age. Freshemen don't usually start for their college team, so he's a good prospect. Like Demko he'll likely play out his career at college and then spend a few years in the AHL. Time will tell if he's cut out to be an NHL starter, but odds are he's at least a pro goaltender and he's trending towards being a good one. Any team in need of a future start would be well served spending a late 1st or early 2nd on him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

It's Jake Oettinger but yeah basically the same height, weight and statline as Thatcher Demko at the same age. Freshemen don't usually start for their college team, so he's a good prospect. Like Demko he'll likely play out his career at college and then spend a few years in the AHL. Time will tell if he's cut out to be an NHL starter, but odds are he's at least a pro goaltender and he's trending towards being a good one. Any team in need of a future start would be well served spending a late 1st or early 2nd on him.

Intriguing since I didn't see him in the 1st in any mocks. What do you make of this?

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/01/28/canucks-news-midterm-player-grades-scouting-whl/

Blogger thinks the Canucks should trade down if their pick reflects their record rather than getting #1 or 2

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Intriguing since I didn't see him in the 1st in any mocks. What do you make of this?

Future considerations have him at 28. There are a few goaltenders clustered around the late first/early second at the moment. Luukonen, Mike DiPietro and Oettinger are the prominent ones. It's a toss up as to who's best (probably Oettinger but then again it's very hard to project goalies and I don't follow European prospects). I could see the Rangers taking one of them in the late first round. They don't have any goalies of note coming up, but can be patient for a few more years while Hank closes out his career.

quote:

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/01/28/canucks-news-midterm-player-grades-scouting-whl/

Blogger thinks the Canucks should trade down if their pick reflects their record rather than getting #1 or 2

That was from January when the Canucks were nominally in the playoffs. The Canucks have no reason to trade down now that their pick is in the top 5. They are in desperate need of top line potential forwards, and there are a few good centres at the top of the draft this year (although none of the all world variety). They can't afford to play smartest guys in the room this year. They'll take BPA wherever they select.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jamie out here lookin' like a Branson magician

https://twitter.com/DalSportsGal/status/852560174132977670

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/04/12/canucks-trading-2017-nhl-draft/ i think he means this article

you always read about restocking the farm system but i think the canucks need top end talent and not a bunch of grinders or even nice-to-have top six guys. swapping firsts for a second or a third round pick doesn't really help them there

edit: also, their example of the coyotes trading for chychrun doesn't help their case because in this situation they are the red wings, who currently resent not getting chychrun

hifi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hifi posted:

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/04/12/canucks-trading-2017-nhl-draft/ i think he means this article

you always read about restocking the farm system but i think the canucks need top end talent and not a bunch of grinders or even nice-to-have top six guys. swapping firsts for a second or a third round pick doesn't really help them there

It's also worth noting for the billionth time that trades of top picks almost never happen. It gets discussed every year like it's a real possibility, but the last time a top 5 pick was moved (that was known to be a top 5 pick at the time unlike the Seguin/Kessel trade) was 2008 and that is the only once since the lockout season. Even then it was just the Leafs jumping from 7th to 5th to take Luke Schenn (haha). No top 3 pick has been moved since 2003. Young cost controlled players with actual talent are just too valuable in a cap world.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Future considerations have him at 28. There are a few goaltenders clustered around the late first/early second at the moment. Luukonen, Mike DiPietro and Oettinger are the prominent ones. It's a toss up as to who's best (probably Oettinger but then again it's very hard to project goalies and I don't follow European prospects). I could see the Rangers taking one of them in the late first round. They don't have any goalies of note coming up, but can be patient for a few more years while Hank closes out his career.

Is he related to Rick?

Oettinger was pretty good in the two games of his I watched

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he related to Rick?

Don't believe so

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyers have fired assistant coach Joe Mullen, who handled the power play

E; also:

https://twitter.com/BSH_Charlie/sta...mebody-else-yes

oh boy :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

More stuff from Hexy. He's going all-in on the youth movement

quote:

The trade of Mark Streit and the decisions to not re-sign Michael Del Zotto and Nick Schultz leaves open spots on defense that will not, Hextall says, be filled with veteran signings. There is no room for that, either cap wise or in three defensive pairs.

"We don't plan on going out and signing veterans on the back end," said Hextall. "Our kids, it's time to give them a shot, and we're going to do that."

Both Sam Morin, the 2013 No. 1, and Robert Hagg, the 2013 No. 2, have had two years at Lehigh Valley, which will be the norm. Travis Sanheim, the 2014 No. 1, has more offensive ability than either one of the above, and there is no question that the Flyers need another D who can make good transition plays, but Hextall will not eat his young. Sanheim won't be on the team unless he is ready and, in the organization's belief, Morin and Hagg likely are.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I feel like that's win-win. Because it gives Ghost time to play, as well as making it show and prove time for the kids. If it doesn't work, you have more cap space ($24M in 18-19), plus the draft is supposed to be super deep next year.

Now he just needs to fire Hakstol and hire a decent coach (I am unsure who that'd be, I don't think Sutter'd be a good fit them).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I feel like that's win-win. Because it gives Ghost time to play, as well as making it show and prove time for the kids. If it doesn't work, you have more cap space ($24M in 18-19), plus the draft is supposed to be super deep next year.

Now he just needs to fire Hakstol and hire a decent coach (I am unsure who that'd be, I don't think Sutter'd be a good fit them).

I get the feeling Hak's on a short leash this coming season. Firing one of his assistants (and I'd be surprised if Ian Lapierriere was still running the PK this coming year) was probably indicating as much. Philadelphia is a lot of things but they haven't really been a team to stick close to any one coach.

That said, Hakstol did seem to find a decent groove in the last 4-5 weeks of the season, even when we were clearly dead in terms of the playoffs. He finally started relying less on the 4th line and on the whole did seem to get away from the idea of trying to play like the Kings, which we in no way are built to do.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

What I'm getting out of this is that the Flyers won't have enough D-men unless MacDonald is a full-time player for another year.

Like, this is what I'm thinking the defense would look like:

Provorov-MacDonald
Hagg-Gudas
Ghost-Morin
Manning

So close, and yet so, so far... :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the problem is now I think they're 100% stuck with AMac until his contract dies. I don't think they can even stash him in Lehigh Valley at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Canucks looking at Lowry, not sure how to feel about it

• Locked thread