Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

Uhh more Americans actually voted for Clinton than Trump.

But I thought non-votes were votes for Trump?

More Americans voted for neither of them than either of them so I guess Americans really wanted no President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

NewForumSoftware posted:

But I thought non-votes were votes for Trump?

Put it however you want. We know she won the popular vote and we also know that a lot of idiots didn't vote or voted for a joke candidate.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It's just amazing how in TYOOL 2017 we can have a discussion of the Obama presidency without talking about how incredibly racialized the response to his Presidency was.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Democrazy posted:

It's just amazing how in TYOOL 2017 we can have a discussion of the Obama presidency without talking about how incredibly racialized the response to his Presidency was.

most of the burnouts were not mentally developed (i'm being generous here) during bush so it's all they know.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Democrazy posted:

Probably because there is nothing we can do about it. It was inevitable.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

mcmagic posted:

Probably because there is nothing we can do about it. It was inevitable.

You're right, but it's relevant for discussing Obama's legacy as President. Obama, for all his faults, exemplified the scandal-free, conciliatory, bipartisan Presidency that everyone said they wanted. He was one of the more personally virtuous Presidents we have ever had. The reaction to him was no doubt partially because he was a Democrat, but when you look at the response to him (including Trump), it's hard to separate his legacy from the fact that a segment of the population hated him for the color of his skin, and that this was reflected the electoral prospects of the Democratic Party through 2016.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Democrazy posted:

You're right, but it's relevant for discussing Obama's legacy as President. Obama, for all his faults, exemplified the scandal-free, conciliatory, bipartisan Presidency that everyone said they wanted. He was one of the more personally virtuous Presidents we have ever had. The reaction to him was no doubt partially because he was a Democrat, but when you look at the response to him (including Trump), it's hard to separate his legacy from the fact that a segment of the population hated him for the color of his skin, and that this was reflected the electoral prospects of the Democratic Party through 2016.

I'm sure in 40 years Obama is going to be universally beloved even by republicans who will forget their racist temper tantrum very quickly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Democrazy posted:

I'm not sure we can blame the Democrats' losses on Obama's skin color, considering that Dems did much worse when he wasn't on the ballot. It may have played a role in Congressional Republicans' particular obsession with opposing everything he did simply because he was the one who did it, but Obama's tendency to respond to opposition by backing down certainly encouraged them by rewarding those tactics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not sure we can blame the Democrats' losses on Obama's skin color, considering that Dems did much worse when he wasn't on the ballot. It may have played a role in Congressional Republicans' particular obsession with opposing everything he did simply because he was the one who did it, but Obama's tendency to respond to opposition by backing down certainly encouraged them by rewarding those tactics.

I think it played the role in riling up the racist republican base, which in turn lead to the effect you are referring too. :

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The language used against Obama was racially charged but looking at both Clintons, Gore and Kerry it is more that republicans view democrats as fundamentally illegitimate.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Democrazy posted:

Obama was the president everyone says they want, not the one they actually want in the slow downward ratcheting decline of post-2008 America. We really want a president who will gently caress over those fuckers for whatever value of fuckers our ideology and material condition inclines us to. The bland bipartisan ideal is an outward facing social lie for the majority of Americans. It's only truly believed by the chattering classes who have exempted themselves from the decline and for whom politics is a game instead of a struggle

Obama would have been far more unpopular if not for his race. America as a whole liked his image and symbolism. But they really didn't like his politics as evidenced by every election since his.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

The language used against Obama was racially charged but looking at both Clintons, Gore and Kerry it is more that republicans view democrats as fundamentally illegitimate.

He really was coddled as far as presidents go

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SickZip posted:

He really was coddled as far as presidents go

As opposed to the other Presidents who had to produce their papers?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

As opposed to the other Presidents who had to produce their papers?

That's seriously minor bullshit. His administration was incompetent, morally bankrupt, and sold the country out to Wallstreet and that's all he had to deal with. Cry me a river that people's dislike was channeled through a racially tinged channel. He deserved worse and every other recent president has.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SickZip posted:

That's seriously minor bullshit. His administration was incompetent, morally bankrupt, and sold the country out to Wallstreet and that's all he had to deal with. Cry me a river that people's dislike was channeled through a racially tinged channel. He deserved worse and every other recent president has.

It really takes quite a leap to look at 90 days of the Trump presidency and call Obama and his administration incompetent....

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SickZip posted:

Obama was the president everyone says they want, not the one they actually want in the slow downward ratcheting decline of post-2008 America. We really want a president who will gently caress over those fuckers for whatever value of fuckers our ideology and material condition inclines us to. The bland bipartisan ideal is an outward facing social lie for the majority of Americans. It's only truly believed by the chattering classes who have exempted themselves from the decline and for whom politics is a game instead of a struggle

Obama would have been far more unpopular if not for his race. America as a whole liked his image and symbolism. But they really didn't like his politics as evidenced by every election since his.

Had Obama been president during a period with 90s style economics he'd be popular as all get out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SickZip posted:

If by "America" you mean a minority of voters who are controlling the country by exploiting flaws in our system of government than sure.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SickZip posted:

This is why it's hard to have a legit conversation about the Obama presidency because you have lunatics like this raging against some illusion created by the right.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

mcmagic posted:

It really takes quite a leap to look at 90 days of the Trump presidency and call Obama and his administration incompetent....

But Obama was mostly incompetent? Watching Trump's administration be a dumpster fire of unprecedented proportions does not mean that Obama was a competent president.

It's comparing a rabid rapist orange monkey throwing poo poo and hand grenades around the fine china shop to a slick salesman who gave most of the finery to free to their rich friends then overcharged the average joe resulting in a net loss for the shop but enrichment for his wealthy friends.

His "grand bargain" was a massive failure of an idea that hosed up most of his presidency. He refused to go after any of the criminally guilty fat cats that causes the largest financial crisis in nearly 100 years. He didn't really try to pull out of the Middle East. He continued and ramped up secret bombing campaigns/wars. He didn't even push to move weed down in scheduling.

Yeah he didn't instill existential dread of massive loss of liberties, economic stability, or nuclear hellfire, but calling him a competent president might be a bit of a stretch. Mediocre at best, but still not good.

Of course I still voted Obama twice and would vote for him again because his opposition is Republicans that are literal cartoon villains. Voted for Hillary too despite likely being a step down from Obama's already middling performance, because look at how poo poo Trump is before even 100 days. We can call Obama a not great president and it doesn't absolve Trump of anything.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

RasperFat posted:

But Obama was mostly incompetent? Watching Trump's administration be a dumpster fire of unprecedented proportions does not mean that Obama was a competent president.

It's comparing a rabid rapist orange monkey throwing poo poo and hand grenades around the fine china shop to a slick salesman who gave most of the finery to free to their rich friends then overcharged the average joe resulting in a net loss for the shop but enrichment for his wealthy friends.

His "grand bargain" was a massive failure of an idea that hosed up most of his presidency. He refused to go after any of the criminally guilty fat cats that causes the largest financial crisis in nearly 100 years. He didn't really try to pull out of the Middle East. He continued and ramped up secret bombing campaigns/wars. He didn't even push to move weed down in scheduling.

Yeah he didn't instill existential dread of massive loss of liberties, economic stability, or nuclear hellfire, but calling him a competent president might be a bit of a stretch. Mediocre at best, but still not good.

Of course I still voted Obama twice and would vote for him again because his opposition is Republicans that are literal cartoon villains. Voted for Hillary too despite likely being a step down from Obama's already middling performance, because look at how poo poo Trump is before even 100 days. We can call Obama a not great president and it doesn't absolve Trump of anything.

I think this highlights another key aspect of the Obama presidency, which is that the country turned to the left during his presidency. Jailing Wall Street CEOs was not a mainstream idea in 2009 and largely came to the fore retrospectively during Occupy Wall Street. You can see the same thing with healthcare, minimum wage, etc.

It's not that different than what happened to W, where he was largely condemned by conservatives at the end of his presidency for policies they praised in the beginning.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

I think this highlights another key aspect of the Obama presidency, which is that the country turned to the left during his presidency. Jailing Wall Street CEOs was not a mainstream idea in 2009 and largely came to the fore retrospectively during Occupy Wall Street. You can see the same thing with healthcare, minimum wage, etc.

It's not that different than what happened to W, where he was largely condemned by conservatives at the end of his presidency for policies they praised in the beginning.

I was there. It absolutely was.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiey5KmidRo&t

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Democrazy posted:

.....What?

He was only in office for eight years, and if anything the country moved to the right a bit overall as a response to a black man being president.

People absolutely wanted massive reform and jail for the bankers that ratfucked the economy.

Bush's problem is he went to war too early in his presidency. People got to see how loving stupid it was to be involved in TWO wars halfway around the world, accomplishing nothing and costing us trillions. The same thing will happen to Trump when his base sees he is not really a strongman and Americans are dying and killing for no reason.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

RasperFat posted:

.....What?

He was only in office for eight years, and if anything the country moved to the right a bit overall as a response to a black man being president.

People absolutely wanted massive reform and jail for the bankers that ratfucked the economy.

Bush's problem is he went to war too early in his presidency. People got to see how loving stupid it was to be involved in TWO wars halfway around the world, accomplishing nothing and costing us trillions. The same thing will happen to Trump when his base sees he is not really a strongman and Americans are dying and killing for no reason.

While I agree that some people wanted to jail Wall Street bankers, can you think of anyone in a position of authority (party leaders, politicians, constituency groups) who actually seriously proposed this as public policy? Not even Bernie Sanders, who is far to the left of the Democratic Party as it existed in 2008, advocates that.

I understand that Obama did not please many people who exist on the lefternmost edge of the Democratic Party. And amidst this environment of recrimination on the left ("Bernie would've won" etc.), it can be tempting to build a history of a party or a voting populace that was much more left-leaning, but it just wasn't so. Obama was firmly a product of the times in 2008, and once more represented the left-leaning instincts of the electorate more than any other candidate. Sanders couldn't even get to Iowa in 2008.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Democrazy posted:

While I agree that some people wanted to jail Wall Street bankers, can you think of anyone in a position of authority (party leaders, politicians, constituency groups) who actually seriously proposed this as public policy?
Obama could have done that himself, you know, leading rather than following. Like, I'm pretty sure more people were in favor of jailing bankers than were ever in favor of expanding the surveillance state.

Democrazy posted:

Not even Bernie Sanders, who is far to the left of the Democratic Party as it existed in 2008, advocates that.
I assume you made a typo here and meant advocated, since it's pretty easy to find him advocating that now. Though it'd surprise me if he didn't advocate it back then too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Clinton, Bush, and Obama left us all an economy of retail jobs, and now retail is dying away because boomers wanna spend money on restaurants and 'enjoy life'. Pathetic.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obama could have done that himself, you know, leading rather than following. Like, I'm pretty sure more people were in favor of jailing bankers than were ever in favor of expanding the surveillance state.

I assume you made a typo here and meant advocated, since it's pretty easy to find him advocating that now. Though it'd surprise me if he didn't advocate it back then too.

Bernie Sanders rails against Bankers, he calls them bald people, say they do terrible acts, but I don't believe he ever actually called for anyone to press any charges against anyone in the banking industry. It seems that, despite this apparent groundswell of support for trying bankers, no one actually is willing to take up the idea. Must be confounded by big money corporations, like the overwhelmingly supported Peta Lindsay candidacy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Democrazy posted:

Bernie Sanders rails against Bankers, he calls them bald people, say they do terrible acts, but I don't believe he ever actually called for anyone to press any charges against anyone in the banking industry. It seems that, despite this apparent groundswell of support for trying bankers, no one actually is willing to take up the idea. Must be confounded by big money corporations, like the overwhelmingly supported Peta Lindsay candidacy.
https://berniesanders.com/press-release/wall-street-ceos-not-too-big-to-jail/

Or do you mean naming specific people?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, fair. But that's still talking retrospectively. The Democratic Party in 2008 was significantly to the right of Sanders in 2016 on economic issues, and the primaries reflected that.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 16, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah i agree that obama was and is a right winger

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
You guys probably should give up the idea that jailing bankers and hedge fundies was ever really going to happen. Despite their actions being immoral, ruinous, and systemically dangerous, almost none of the things done to cause the Great Recession were in themselves illegal. And for the handful of issues that were against the laws, very little of it had any chance to be successful to prosecute whether or not there was any political will to oppose their fundraisers.

This was of course due to decades of regulatory capture by the financial industry, poor oversight capability by the government/judiciary, and a lot of the poo poo just being issues of subjective judgment and/or normal capitalism in action.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThaGhettoJew posted:

You guys probably should give up the idea that jailing bankers and hedge fundies was ever really going to happen. Despite their actions being immoral, ruinous, and systemically dangerous, almost none of the things done to cause the Great Recession were in themselves illegal. And for the handful of issues that were against the laws, very little of it had any chance to be successful to prosecute whether or not there was any political will to oppose their fundraisers.

This was of course due to decades of regulatory capture by the financial industry, poor oversight capability by the government/judiciary, and a lot of the poo poo just being issues of subjective judgment and/or normal capitalism in action.

Probably not but we had massive structural change to the financial system in the 30s. That could happen again and I'm more interested in that than a few guys going to jail.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThaGhettoJew posted:

You guys probably should give up the idea that jailing bankers and hedge fundies was ever really going to happen. Despite their actions being immoral, ruinous, and systemically dangerous, almost none of the things done to cause the Great Recession were in themselves illegal.

It's not like that's stopped the US from locking undesirables up in the past.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's not like that's stopped the US from locking undesirables up in the past.

LOL if you think rich assholes who'll screw over anyone for a dollar are undesired by lawmakers. Now if you want some of their middle-class underlings and minimum-wage functionaries to go to scapegoat jail, that we can handle. With a particularly zealous anti-corporate public and some very brave politicos running a full scale attack in say 2010 we might have squeezed out a few fines totalling a percent of a percent of a day's profits out of them.

I mean look at the amazing punishment of Wells Fargo's widespread out and out fraudulent business practices last year. Over two million fake accounts and credit cards were set up and they paid a piddly $185 million (a record fee!) and they fired like five thousand no-names and wage slaves. The CEO eventually stepped down with his millions and golden parachute poo poo and I suppose they temporarily lost some stock value and ratings under a few weeks or so of bad press. And this is for easily provable nation-spanning illegal activity that we actually were able to get some charges on. No jails, no federal takeovers, no destruction by the invisible hand of the market.

Obama's direct failure here is probably just failing to publicly chastise the financial system more as de facto party head (at least after he got us to pay to stop it from completely collapsing). The half-hearted and immediately undermined stuff like Dodd-Frank that actually did happen was just Congress doing the absolute minimum they could get away with like always. And they have less and less need to accomplish even weaksauce populist goals as mega-money contributions and gerrymandered districts become a greater part of their political life cycles.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThaGhettoJew posted:

LOL if you think rich assholes who'll screw over anyone for a dollar are undesired by lawmakers. Now if you want some of their middle-class underlings and minimum-wage functionaries to go to scapegoat jail, that we can handle. With a particularly zealous anti-corporate public and some very brave politicos running a full scale attack in say 2010 we might have squeezed out a few fines totalling a percent of a percent of a day's profits out of them.

I mean look at the amazing punishment of Wells Fargo's widespread out and out fraudulent business practices last year. Over two million fake accounts and credit cards were set up and they paid a piddly $185 million (a record fee!) and they fired like five thousand no-names and wage slaves. The CEO eventually stepped down with his millions and golden parachute poo poo and I suppose they temporarily lost some stock value and ratings under a few weeks or so of bad press. And this is for easily provable nation-spanning illegal activity that we actually were able to get some charges on. No jails, no federal takeovers, no destruction by the invisible hand of the market.

Obama's direct failure here is probably just failing to publicly chastise the financial system more as de facto party head (at least after he got us to pay to stop it from completely collapsing). The half-hearted and immediately undermined stuff like Dodd-Frank that actually did happen was just Congress doing the absolute minimum they could get away with like always. And they have less and less need to accomplish even weaksauce populist goals as mega-money contributions and gerrymandered districts become a greater part of their political life cycles.

Yeah, obviously it was not going to happen, but all I'm saying is that in an ideal world Obama would have declared that Wall Street is gulty of economic terrorism and shipped the fuckers off to Guantanamo.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, obviously it was not going to happen, but all I'm saying is that in an ideal world Obama would have declared that Wall Street is gulty of economic terrorism and shipped the fuckers off to Guantanamo.

Stipulated. If they only didn't run our 401k's...

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Stipulated. If they only didn't run our 401k's...

Nah if he's going that far he can just nationalize all the banks and then your retirement is fine.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Democrazy posted:

You're right, but it's relevant for discussing Obama's legacy as President. Obama, for all his faults, exemplified the scandal-free, conciliatory, bipartisan Presidency that everyone said they wanted.

The presidency people wanted was one where their lives would improve and the wrongs of the last decade would be righted.

'Scandal-free, conciliatory, bipartisanship' express very little in the way of actual politics.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ThaGhettoJew posted:

You guys probably should give up the idea that jailing bankers and hedge fundies was ever really going to happen. Despite their actions being immoral, ruinous, and systemically dangerous, almost none of the things done to cause the Great Recession were in themselves illegal.

A massive amount of foreclosure/mortgage fraud, which plenty of banks engaged it, was illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't the guy that prosecuted the people involved in Savings and Loans crisis recently say that there were totally people that could have been nailed? It seems like it's more that there was zero political interest into punishing anyone involved rather than everything being absolutely, for reals on the up and up.

Regardless of prosecutions I think people would have been fine if Obama had put more effort into helping the people that got screwed over by the banks. He left everyone at the mercy of the people that had just gotten done plundering the economy through shady tactics. Unsurprisingly you then heard stories of veterans and old widows being kicked out on the street or people having houses they owned being foreclosed on by banks that had no claim whatsoever, just hosed up paperwork. That's loving terrible optics for the supposedly leftist party. The Obama administration could have totally allowed their banker friends to skate without taking too much political damage, but they forgot the part where they had to mollify the absolutely justified anger somehow instead of saying anyone complaining was full of poo poo and "didn't know what they were angry about."

• Locked thread