Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not gonna stop me from posting cute slug cats

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that looks like the slime dragon from pokemon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

by the way there are a lot lot lot of people drawing thicc versions of the evo wow

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Curves are sexy

also idk why the devs named it slug cat when it's just a white ferret/weasel/mink

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 13, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I stumbled upon this vid once for a smash bros thicc mod and the first 20 seconds are amazing.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

Scorpio is going to to funny because for all the power it wants to bring, Microsoft doesn't loving get it. PS2 was weaker than the Gamecube or the Xbox but it had a godlike library of games. Xbone alone already cancelled poo poo like Scalebound and Phantom Dust and has to look down the barrel of the ridiculous 2017 gluttony of PS4 exclusives.

I really don't know what Microsoft is hoping to accomplish with Scorpio. I don't give a poo poo about 4K if there aren't good games to play in 4K, and the only Xbox exclusives I care about (Forza Horizon) are on PC now so if I did care about 4K I could just get a new video card instead of a Scorpio. 2017 is making me regret my decision to get an XB1 instead of a PS4 a few years ago.

Also: Toy Commander was the poo poo and my Dreamcast was a better console than my Xbox One.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast was the second-best console of all time besides of course PC (the forever console).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To play devil's advocate, a lot of people said they didn't care about HD either at a similar point in that technology's lifecycle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The only think Scorpio could possibly do that would be amazing would be to allow remote play from any windows device.

Have a lovely old laptop with onboard graphics? No problem, stream Gears 5 from your Scorpio.

And also, make it so that buying a windows platform game just means you own it on windows platforms, so you aren't splitting between Scorpio and PC purchases. That will never happen though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nate RFB posted:

To play devil's advocate, a lot of people said they didn't care about HD either at a similar point in that technology's lifecycle.

HD took off when HD content took off, but it's hard to see how this will be a part of MS's Scorpio strategy with PC cross-play in the picture.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

The only think Scorpio could possibly do that would be amazing would be to allow remote play from any windows device.

Have a lovely old laptop with onboard graphics? No problem, stream Gears 5 from your Scorpio.

You can already do that with the PS4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

You can already do that with the PS4

To your pc?

Huh. I did not know that. I mean, I guess I kinda did. Can you do that with XBoxOne?

Edit: You can.

Okay, there is nothing that Scorpio can do to be good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

To play further devil's advocate Id say last gen was the worst since like the Atari age. Excepting the Wii U but idk where that falls

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Excepting the Wii U but idk where that falls

Into my lap, as I play Nintendo's best output since the SNES.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

Cute but I think only me and you played Rain World on SA

I played it too! I'm liking it a lot despite how frustrating it is, often because of silly design decisions. Like, the best way to kill lizards is to throw a rock to stun them and then throw a spear into their belly, but the Slugcat prioritizes picking up spears first, meaning spears get thrown before rocks. If I didn't look up how double tapping X swaps items in your hands I don't know if I'd still be playing. Same with how you should never press A underwater even though that's what you do in every other game; while it speeds you up, it also takes your breath away and will kill you dead.

But then you make a cool jump by holding onto a flying squid while baiting a smoke vulture to eat a lizard instead of you and all that annoying stuff doesn't feel that bad anymore.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pigbuster posted:

But then you make a cool jump by holding onto a flying squid while baiting a smoke vulture to eat a lizard instead of you and all that annoying stuff doesn't feel that bad anymore.

I was stuck in two screens for four hours because a creature that you need to use to cross either didn't appear, got stuck on terrain, or the physics worked against me

(I beat the game and got the ending)

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 13, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's like a 3 hour speedrun now :cheeky: and that's all the way up and then all the way over

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm definitely going to replay it when they add multiplayer and/or new content like the devs keep saying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

To play further devil's advocate Id say last gen was the worst since like the Atari age. Excepting the Wii U but idk where that falls

I skipped most of that console generation and don't really feel like I missed much. I played some of the gems that came out and a good amount of PC games, but that whole era seemed like peak samey first/third-person shooter territory with precious few unique games.

This gen wasn't shaping up so hot, either (a few gems but otherwise a bunch of HD rereleases or disappointments), and then the first few months of 2017 happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want to be clear, we're now arguing that the entire PS3/360/Wii U generation was one of the worst generations ever?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

I was stuck in two screens for four hours because a creature that you need to use to cross either didn't appear, got stuck on terrain, or the physics worked against me

(I beat the game and got the ending)

I got stuck in the sky islands yesterday after a vulture ate my squid, but I was able to escape by getting high on mushrooms so my jumps were superpowered. Then I found out I could've just gone down a pit.

I also blew the only fast travel token I got on teleporting to the exact shelter I was already sleeping in so clearly I am just super at this game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Until Mario Maker came out I didn't really bother with this generation, instead focusing on PS3 and PC titles in my backlog. I'm now paying the price for that slightly in that I now have like four PS4 titles I want to get through ASAP, but c'est la vie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There have only been what, eight generations? "One of the worst" unavoidably covers a huge swath of gaming history.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pigbuster posted:

I got stuck in the sky islands yesterday after a vulture ate my squid, but I was able to escape by getting high on mushrooms so my jumps were superpowered. Then I found out I could've just gone down a pit.

I also blew the only fast travel token I got on teleporting to the exact shelter I was already sleeping in so clearly I am just super at this game.

Everyone wastes their first lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I just want to be clear, we're now arguing that the entire PS3/360/Wii U generation was one of the worst generations ever?

PS3/360/Wii is how I view it. I mean it's largely a pointless qualifier but I said to stir poo poo up and I'm a vile troll

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

PS3/360/Wii is how I view it. I mean it's largely a pointless qualifier but I said to stir poo poo up and I'm a vile troll

Yeah, I meant to type Wii and instinctively added a U without thinking about it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I have like 100 PS3/Wii games combined

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I think of the HD transition it's all brown shooters, DLC and waggle

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

When I think of the HD transition it's all brown shooters, DLC and waggle

the kinect generation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was the least exciting of the console generations during which I was actually playing games, I guess. I suppose I can't really compare it to pre-NES stuff because I wasn't playing games yet so I don't really have any experience there.

It's probably just down to the kinds of games that I like. For me, NES, SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64, and PS2/Xbox/GameCube were crazy treasure troves of rad games everywhere. Maybe I also feel like the PS3/360/Wii generation was kinda crappy just because of how long it was around and, even though there were a lot of good games, they were pretty far between.

I'm also probably taking a rosier look at the current generation because we're at the tail end of the "early 2017 good games everywhere" parade.

EDIT: I should clarify I'm excluding handheld from all of this. I feel like DS/3DS/PSP/Vita are kind of in their own generations.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pigbuster posted:

Think of the fast travel token as a last resort or trophy, because they're tied to achievements/trophies which are hard to get in an already frustrating game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just me but it seems like there were a lot more weird/interesting games around before the 360/PS3/Wii era- games industry becoming more risk-averse during this time period? Indie games have kinda filled in that niche now though.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What is everyone playing today? I started a new game of P3 Portable last night to get my Persona fix while my wife was using the PS4. Then I woke up today and she was watching an anime about a cute ninja girl helping Nobunaga take over Japan

I'm drowning in anime

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

x360/ps3 gen boils down to "a fair amount of great games that ran like loving poo poo on consoles and are better off being played on a PC"

it got even worse when both consoles tried to ape an already-tired gimmick with motion controls, leading to possibly the worst 1 or 2 E3 conferences ever created. That Kinect E3 with all those games....holy poo poo

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Snak posted:

To your pc?

Huh. I did not know that. I mean, I guess I kinda did. Can you do that with XBoxOne?

Edit: You can.

Okay, there is nothing that Scorpio can do to be good.

It'll do some bonkers things with the 360 emulation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there were a lot more weird/interesting games around before the 360/PS3/Wii era- games industry becoming more risk-averse during this time period? Indie games have kinda filled in that niche now though.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or something

Eh, that's definitely the vibe of a lot of the "what's up with the industry" articles people wrote during the 7th gen so I don't think you're wrong. The 7th generation is the one where development costs really started to balloon so publishers were less and less willing to take a chance on something kinda out-there. If you were paying attention to indie games there was plenty of cool stuff going on.

And it's not like the 7th gen didn't have any unique, weird stuff. There were some good Platinum games (Mad World, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear RIsing), for example. Demon's Souls was pretty out-there when it came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
PS3/Wii/360 will probably be remembered by me as a lot of JRPGs (which probably aged the best all told of my PS3 library), a variety of Nintendo exclusives with some degree of motion control gimmicks, and duping myself into buying a 360 for Mass Effect because I thought that'd be the only place I should play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It was the least exciting of the console generations during which I was actually playing games, I guess. I suppose I can't really compare it to pre-NES stuff because I wasn't playing games yet so I don't really have any experience there.

It's probably just down to the kinds of games that I like. For me, NES, SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64, and PS2/Xbox/GameCube were crazy treasure troves of rad games everywhere. Maybe I also feel like the PS3/360/Wii generation was kinda crappy just because of how long it was around and, even though there were a lot of good games, they were pretty far between.

I'm also probably taking a rosier look at the current generation because we're at the tail end of the "early 2017 good games everywhere" parade.

I'm just saying that in that generation alone we had: The Assassin's Creed franchise, most of the Arkham franchise, Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, the entire Bioshock franchise, Demon's Souls and the first two Dark Souls, both Mario Galaxy games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of the 'big' Elder Scrolls games, the entire Fallout revival, the entire Gears of War franchise, two Grand Theft Auto titles and Red Dead Redemption, the Uncharted franchise, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet, Borderlands, the entire Mass Effect franchise, the entire Left 4 dead franchise, Dishonored, the entire Dead Space franchise, Portal and Portal 2, X-COM, the entire Dead Rising franchise, Metal Gear Solid IV, it was the start of the major Indie revolution so stuff like Briad and Fez and Journey, and a little game called Minecraft which a lot of people seemed kind of okay with

And that's discounting the tons of niche/mildly successful but still interesting titles like no fewer than 7 Atelier titles, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Graces/Vesperia/etc, Trails of Cold Steel, Mirror's Edge, the Witcher 2 (which is probably bigger these days thanks to W3), Hotline Miami, Telltale Games basically got their real start there... I mean you get the idea.

I totally can understand it not being as exciting as the PS2 era, especially if you're a big JRPG dork like I am, but it was kind of an insane generation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

And it's not like the 7th gen didn't have any unique, weird stuff. There were some good Platinum games (Mad World, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear RIsing), for example. Demon's Souls was pretty out-there when it came out.

Lollipop Chainsaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying that in that generation alone we had: The Assassin's Creed franchise, most of the Arkham franchise, Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, the entire Bioshock franchise, Demon's Souls and the first two Dark Souls, both Mario Galaxy games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of the 'big' Elder Scrolls games, the entire Fallout revival, the entire Gears of War franchise, two Grand Theft Auto titles and Red Dead Redemption, the Uncharted franchise, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet, Borderlands, the entire Mass Effect franchise, the entire Left 4 dead franchise, Dishonored, the entire Dead Space franchise, Portal and Portal 2, X-COM, the entire Dead Rising franchise, Metal Gear Solid IV, it was the start of the major Indie revolution so stuff like Briad and Fez and Journey, and a little game called Minecraft which a lot of people seemed kind of okay with

And that's discounting the tons of niche/mildly successful but still interesting titles like no fewer than 7 Atelier titles, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Graces/Vesperia/etc, Trails of Cold Steel, Mirror's Edge, the Witcher 2 (which is probably bigger these days thanks to W3), Hotline Miami, Telltale Games basically got their real start there... I mean you get the idea.

I totally can understand it not being as exciting as the PS2 era, especially if you're a big JRPG dork like I am, but it was kind of an insane generation.

Yeah, maybe that's a good point. Although, I guess it's also probably worth noting that I'm comparing it to some pretty crazy good generations of games so being the worst one of the ones I can remember is a pretty weak criticism all told. Less "it was bad" and more "it was the least super rad," I think. And games like Gears of War might suffer in my hindsight because of how ubiquitous that kind of game became.

• Locked thread