Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

A quality USB 3.0 chip costs about 25 USD and should have all the ports you could ever want.

I got my touch and third sensor today, and man, is roomscale great. I've not been able to occlude my controllers or headset at all with the third sensor in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

From the looks of things, the ASMedia 3.0 ports on my X79 seem to work now after the latest driver update that was posted on the Oculus Forum, so USB 3.0 stuff has gotten a little better, but getting one of those addon cards they recommend still seems like a worthwile investment. (However the updated drivers for it do not seem to be better than the Windows 10 ones it has out of the box. Just my experience).

Also got the Oculus VR Cover pack delivered today. Going to give it a shot tonight while testing the latest builds of V we are about to launch in the latest expansion for Elite.. Fun fun Fun.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

D1E posted:

I just bought an Oculus Rift and set it up yesterday.

This morning I ordered the Touch controllers from Amazon it impressed me so much.

My decision to get the Rift was based on the modular option, lower price, perceived higher quality, and accumulated impression that it is the more comfortable headset.

I have zero regrets, other than that probably next month they'll come out with a newer model with higher resolution display.

But that's the same opportunity cost for any gadget nowadays.

You should order a third sensor as well. Once you order that it brings the room scale to parity with the Vive as long as you don't have a giant 15x15 playspace.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

With the price drop, the Rift is arguably a better deal than the Vive, being 200 dollars cheaper. Not to mention that you have to spend another 100 dollars on the Vive to get a comparable headstrap with integrated audio that isn't even out yet. The only downside for the Rift is the questionable parent company and a worse tracking solution.

The Vive also fits glasses better. Which is a decent advantage when your target demographic is mostly geeks.

Overall, though, I agree; since the price drop and the tracking fixes the Rift is probably a generally better buy right now, especially so if you're focused on sitting games.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

Don't skip VR controllers, real roomscale games are the killer app for VR. Incidentally, the Vive is substantially better at those.

This is simply not true. Room scale tracking of Vive vs Rift w/3-4 sensors is essentially at parity at play spaces up to ~4mx4m. I've got a Rift with 4 cameras ceiling mounted and I get 100% flawless 360' tracking wall to wall and ceiling to floor in my ~8.5ftx12.5ft of playable space. My room is ~12.5x15 so I could go maybe a little bigger, but I still want my computer desk and couch in the room.
The Vive does have one advantage in that the way tracking works allows for larger room scales than 4m x 4m, though going beyond 5m-6m can require additional lighthouses.
The Oculus Touch controllers are, imo, waaaaaay better than the Vive wands.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I have pretty much flawless with three sensors and 9ftx9ft

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Sorry if I'm late to the party here, but holy poo poo Rock Band VR is fun. The decision to ditch the 'note highway' in favor of something feels like actually playing guitar was bold and dangerous, but playing a song "well" feels like I actually did a thing with a guitar now.

On the downside, I think the people that live below me must think I've gone loving crazy, especially when they likely can't hear any music but randomly hear me scream out the chorus of "Livin on a Prayer" without any warning.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah my Rift play space is like 12x8 and with four sensors it's perfect but it's practically just as good with three, I just lose a tiny bit of range in one corner.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the rift comes with a single tracking camera allowing me to move and tilt my head as well as rotation, correct ?

I wish the drat vive wasn't $1200 in Canada.

If I knew I liked the VIVE I'd likely get it, but I have no way of testing either system without a purchase. I'd be the only one in my city. Wasting $500 on a very possible puke simulator is much easier to swallow (haha) than $1200.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 13, 2017

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

jonathan posted:

So the rift comes with a single tracking camera allowing me to move and tilt my head as well as rotation, correct ?

I wish the drat vive wasn't $1200 in Canada.

If I knew I liked the VIVE I'd likely get it, but I have no way of testing either system without a purchase. I'd be the only one in my city. Wasting $500 on a very possible puke simulator is much easier to swallow (haha) than $1200.

If you're just using the headset one camera can cover movement across an entire room because the headset has LEDs on the strap too. I was very impressed by the single camera performance when the rift first came out (now I have 3 for touch).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jonathan posted:

Tip posted:

If you're just using the headset one camera can cover movement across an entire room because the headset has LEDs on the strap too. I was very impressed by the single camera performance when the rift first came out (now I have 3 for touch).

This. The Rift headset has tracking LEDs all over it, including the back of your head, which means a single sensor can track the headset no matter which way you are facing.

The thing I want to point out is that this is a full 6DOF. You will be able to walk and move around and it will track just fine. The purpose of multiple sensors / lighthouses is to solve occlusion problems; if one camera cannot see your headset or controllers, chances are the other one will.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I can't really see a situation where someone would get a VR headset *just* to use sit-down experiences. Sure, for sims and Elite and other things like that VR is cool but the real experiences are for things that are made for VR which is always the ones that require motion controllers. To echo Nalin the 6DOF is the killer ap for VR and if you get a headset you will get the motion controllers. There is no reason not to once you get a taste of VR.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's awesome. I seem to get literally 0 savings bundling touch with rift so I might as well get the headset, try it out with assetto Corsa and see if I want to puke. If I can't get over it I could always sell it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A headset alone lets you experience an existing class of game better. A full kit lets you experience a better class of game that has just begun to exist.

jonathan posted:

That's awesome. I seem to get literally 0 savings bundling touch with rift so I might as well get the headset, try it out with assetto Corsa and see if I want to puke. If I can't get over it I could always sell it.
Can't you return it if it turns out not to be for you? Not that it's even fair to pass judgement without roomscale. Pretty rare for people to have any trouble with seated cockpit games anyway.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 13, 2017

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

jonathan posted:

Racing sims are probably the easiest thing to handle. I don't get any sickness feeling in AC, I do get some eye strain/fatigue after a while but I get that with anything in VR.

You're gonna love it!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Both the Rift and the Vive have really conquered the latency/blur/chugging causes of nausea, so there's that. About the only thing left (assuming your system can project an even 90 fps) is nausea caused by your eye disagreeing with your inner ear as far as motion, which tends to hit people very differently. Having a cockpit around you like in sim games does help keep a lot of people from getting sick.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Latest version of V is out. If you have it already it should auto update on startup (if it is running, close it and relaunch it to kick off the update). If you don't have it, grab it from the HelloV.io page and give it a whirl.

Improved Performance, new UI layout and more configurable shortcuts, full Oculus Touch support, Improved Browser Resolution, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video support, more Oculus supported games, and should be more reliable across Windows 7-10.

Still Oculus Only, but Vive support is pretty much Next on the ToDo list.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So on the recommendation of Quell 4D I tried it and while that game looks and feels cool I had HORRIBLE motion issues with it. Maybe I just need to build up a tolerance for it but the blink movement in serious sam seemed to fit me a lot better in VR than sliding around did in Quell.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Glagha posted:

So on the recommendation of Quell 4D I tried it and while that game looks and feels cool I had HORRIBLE motion issues with it. Maybe I just need to build up a tolerance for it but the blink movement in serious sam seemed to fit me a lot better in VR than sliding around did in Quell.

Sliding around is exactly what fucks up most people which is why the 'blink' modes are a thing. You can get to the point where you can slide around and when you do games get better for it.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I have moderate vertigo, and cockpit/roomscale games (at least the ones I've tried) don't trigger it at all. The only one I've had problems with so far (outside of technical issues) is Subnautica.

So I wouldn't worry about it to much, but as always, ymmv.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Glagha posted:

What control method did you use with Quell 4D? Was it the carrot on a stick method or the trackpad movement? Have you tried other touchpad games and had no problems? Have you tried ginger candies or anti nausea pills?

I have an iron stomach so I can't help much, but I want to see what your tolerance level is like.

How far are you in Quell4D? Man that game is so amazing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I used the default carrot and stick method and I quit in the first level because sliding around was making me feel sick. I'm sure I can work up to it but basically when I started feeling bad I decided to just play a different game for a while.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Glagha posted:

I used the default carrot and stick method and I quit in the first level because sliding around was making me feel sick. I'm sure I can work up to it but basically when I started feeling bad I decided to just play a different game for a while.

Are you used to playing games with artificial locomotion?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

So I bought audioshield because it was recommended a lot, but sadly my fears have been confirmed, as a lot of reviews were right about it being pretty offbeat. It's really annoying to try and stay with the beat and then gently caress up the targets because you are moving to the beat :/
I actually requested a refund for audioshield because I played it for 7 minutes before deciding that soundboxing was the vastly superior alternative. Definitely give that one a try.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I feel like this post is heavily biased, even though I'd generally agree in some sense.
FIrst of all, it doesn't come with a controller more than the Vive, unless you really wanna count the remote thing. The Vive also has audio built in. Dunno what you are on about support either.

But yeah, since you don't need to get another camera or touch for stationary games the price difference is a huge plus.

He specifically asked for sitting down only games. Personally I prefer the Vive over the Rift mostly due to the better tracking and longer cord.

I don't think it's close when speaking about sitting only games (although I don't think anyone should focus on that).

As for the support, go browse https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ and see the support horror stories they go on and on.
Here are a short list of the issues:
1. If the battery dies in the Vive remotes there is no possible way fix them. They have a custom battery that HTC refuses to sell. There are no third party options or ability to fix.
2. If you have an issue after 1 year or buy from second party HTC will not support you in anyway and will only suggest you buy another Vive.
3. If you send it back and don't get tracking the RMA company might say they just didn't receive it and keep it. HTC uses a companies that advertise their rate of RMA loss.
4. The Vive has no seal in the headset for liquid so if you sweat too much the Vive will break and HTC offers no service to fix them and just suggests you buy the $800 set again.
5. People who has issues within weeks have had to go back and forth with support/RMAs for weeks or months to get things like controllers fixed.

I've seen no one discussing any of these issues with Oculus so I'm guessing Oculus actually takes care of it's customers.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

iceaim posted:

Are you used to playing games with artificial locomotion?

Not really. When playing Serious Sam I use the short teleport based movement rather than full touchpad movement.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Argh, Onward is a better made game but Pavlov is more fun. Shooters really are all about the map design and especially in VR, engagement ranges and colour schemes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

I actually requested a refund for audioshield because I played it for 7 minutes before deciding that soundboxing was the vastly superior alternative. Definitely give that one a try.

I can't decide if off-beat beatmatching is worse than weeaboo music...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

i just skip past that garbage, there are plenty of other good songs on there, #1 right now is basement jaxx where's your head at

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

i just skip past that garbage, there are plenty of other good songs on there, #1 right now is basement jaxx where's your head at

That is also like... a really obnoxious song.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That is also like... a really obnoxious song.

You shut your whore mouth.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zero VGS posted:

Then make your own beatmaps for the music you like. It's shockingly easy to do. The first few songs I mapped suck a bit because I didn't think about what they would play like but I'm fixing that going forward.
Hell, make some song suggestions. If I like them I'd be willing to make some beatmaps for you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stick100 posted:

3. If you send it back and don't get tracking the RMA company might say they just didn't receive it and keep it. HTC uses a companies that advertise their rate of RMA loss.

Not defending any of the rest, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for anyone who decided to skimp so hard on shipping their $800 device that they didn't have tracking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

Not defending any of the rest, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for anyone who decided to skimp so hard on shipping their $800 device that they didn't have tracking.

A decent company would have provided a pre-paid label for shipping an RMA. gently caress any company that wants you to ship a defective item back on your own dime.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Then make your own beatmaps for the music you like. It's shockingly easy to do. The first few songs I mapped suck a bit because I didn't think about what they would play like but I'm fixing that going forward.
Hell, make some song suggestions. If I like them I'd be willing to make some beatmaps for you.

please do my favourite audiosurf/audioshield song 'atlantis to interzone' by the klaxxons

edit: there's one song that's just amazing amazing, rockabye ft sean paul, whoever made that is a genius. you need to dance like you're actually rocking out to some hard beats, shake your booty, etc. I've never finished it and not been literally DRENCHED in sweat and panting like I just ran a sprint. theres all these parts that are pretty low and I guess you could just crouch or get on your knees but its way better and more fun to kind of half bend your legs and lean back for the entire bit. its tough but fun.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 13, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Enos Cabell posted:

A decent company would have provided a pre-paid label for shipping an RMA. gently caress any company that wants you to ship a defective item back on your own dime.

For real. Amazon often pays for my shipping to return things. Nintendo paid for two day shipping to get it to them, and then paid for overnight to get my Switch back to me. If HTC has to skimp on shipping RMAs, they might be in big trouble.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

8one6 posted:

BFG Division, please.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

For real. Amazon often pays for my shipping to return things. Nintendo paid for two day shipping to get it to them, and then paid for overnight to get my Switch back to me. If HTC has to skimp on shipping RMAs, they might be in big trouble.

I love the vive and their approach to software etc but I would probably buy oculus going forward because the build quality and support seem to be so much better. I've had to send in two controllers (shipping paid for by me), had to pay import fees on the return also, and they are looking like they'll need to get sent in again. And I just know I'm going to ruin the headset with sweat one of these days .

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm seeing many reports from many countries that they do exactly this and send you a label, I can only assume that the person who reported this issue may have been from a country where the device was not officially sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Glagha posted:

Not really. When playing Serious Sam I use the short teleport based movement rather than full touchpad movement.

Have you tried the comfort options that does some limited fov when using trackpad movement? Interested to know if that is awful as well. I'd never seen that option before Serious Sam and wanted opinions from people that get sick, to know if it's an improvement.