Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Why does my club only provide pledge and paper towels for cleaning off my plane's windshield?

Where I come from I clean windows with windex and newspaper. Is aviation different for some reason?

Yes, actually. Plane's windows aren't made of glass, and windex and a newspaper would scratch and haze the plastic windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

2-butoxyethanol and kimwipes all day

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Why does my club only provide pledge and paper towels for cleaning off my plane's windshield?

Where I come from I clean windows with windex and newspaper. Is aviation different for some reason?

Light airplane windshields are often made from acrylic plastic, which is lighter than glass (and can be molded into curved shapes), but is also softer and more prone to scratches. In addition to being easier to scratch, acrylic also reacts badly with ammonia (which is commonly used in glass cleaners), since the ammonia causes hazing in the acrylic that can require replacing a very expensive windshield.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

Light airplane windshields are often made from acrylic plastic, which is lighter than glass (and can be molded into curved shapes), but is also softer and more prone to scratches. In addition to being easier to scratch, acrylic also reacts badly with ammonia (which is commonly used in glass cleaners), since the ammonia causes hazing in the acrylic that can require replacing a very expensive windshield.

This. As a CFI, I say don't do it.

As an ex-mechanic that wants to see the industry thrive: loving go for it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Speaking of JetBlue have any of you tried the Mint route between JFK and SFO? Is it similar to UA and AA's transcon lie flats?

It's fine. I tend to prefer it more than AA biz but not AA first on the route.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
On the subject of UA -

1) When did Ryanair management takeover their customer services?
2) What's the US equivalent of a P45 - because I think a few will be getting printed...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hjp766 posted:

What's the US equivalent of a P45

What's the anything equivalent of that?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

What's the anything equivalent of that?

That s what you get on termination of employment

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We call it a pink-slip.

:patriot:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My question is-- why didn't the captain put a stop to that? Its his plane right? The moment I saw something physical going down back there, I'd call it off. Yeah, got it-- the dude needs to get off so the United employees can get on. But drat, take it back to the drawing board before beating the poo poo out of him.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Cops escalating things to violence? In my America? Well I never.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I don't think anybody involved anticipated the cop being as rough as he was.

In hindsight, I'd tell the cops as soon as they decided they needed to get physical, to let me know. Then i would make all the pax get off the plane. Then I'd reboard them minus whoever needed to get bumped.

"Everyone going to Louisville, step forward.

Whoa, not so fast, Doctor Feelgood"

Also don't believe the hype about JB. Go to page 33.

https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/2016AugustATCR_0.pdf

Yeeeeeaah, they deny tons of people, mostly involuntarily.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Airline politics are fun!

About two years ago, our management insisted that the pilot group had to sign an 8 year contract (with no substantial pay raises) in return for Shiny Jets and not parking 30% of our fleet.

Almost immediately after that agreement was signed, every other regional started raising first year pay and offering bonuses, which meant that our first year pay was $20-30k less than any other regional, and no one wanted to work here.

Since we couldn't get new pilots, management did an end-run around the CBA and union, and began offering a $10k "pre employment bonus" late last year. Since there's no conditions attached to the money, several people have waited for the check to clear and then bailed for other regionals, and we still have almost no new pilots.

Now, management is threatening to defer the 33 Shiny Jet orders our contract guaranteed (or give them to a non-union airline) if the union doesn't allow management to unilaterally change first year pay and bonuses whenever they feel like it, which just further antagonized an already pissed off pilot group.

Hilariously, the before management officially announced the threats, our CEO gave a speech at a university about business ethics and "Doing the right thing".

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rekinom posted:

I don't think anybody involved anticipated the cop being as rough as he was.

In hindsight, I'd tell the cops as soon as they decided they needed to get physical, to let me know. Then i would make all the pax get off the plane. Then I'd reboard them minus whoever needed to get bumped.

"Everyone going to Louisville, step forward.

Whoa, not so fast, Doctor Feelgood"

With the delay that involves you'd probably still end up in the semi-ironic position Republic reportedly found itself in: the delay getting the man off the flight and cleaning the blood and such meant that the deadheading crew couldn't meet the rest requirements to make the morning flight they were scheduled for, so the whole thing was for no purpose.

And the cop who dragged him off was put on leave Monday pending an investigation, with the Chicago Aviation Department essentially announcing that he hosed up and didn't follow approved procedures.

The gate agent(s) serving this flight would be Republic employees, not United, right? I'm taking a lot of delight watching United take so much heat for the actions of their business partner in a "you built this drat system" kind of way.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Dumb question for those of you in the industry: are United employees affected by this at all? Like does the crew think "jesus christ I want no part of this poo poo" and quit ever after an incident like this, or is it all just "keep punching the clock no matter what?"

A few years ago a tech company I was consulting at got linked to and implicated in a bunch of government surveillance programs, and about half the team quit over two years because they just didn't want to participate in that. Uber is another good example, they have lost hundreds of employees over the past few months due to their bad behavior. Does the same thing happen in airlines to any extent? Does anyone at United actually give a poo poo and want to quit or is that just not a thing that happens?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 12, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

Dumb question for those of you in the industry: are United employees affected by this at all? Like does the crew think "jesus christ I want no part of this poo poo" and quit ever after an incident like this, or is it all just "keep punching the clock no matter what?"

A few years ago a tech company I was consulting at got linked to and implicated in a bunch of government surveillance programs, and about half the team quit over two years because they just didn't want to participate in that. Uber is another good example, they have lost hundreds of employees over the past few months due to their bad behavior. Does the same thing happen in airlines to any extent? Does anyone at United actually give a poo poo and want to quit or is that just not a thing that happens?

If the press/public opinion/load factor drops far enough then if you ain't high on the seniority list start looking.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Well I'm glad I asked! Thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

The better question is will Republic see any fallout?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

azflyboy posted:

Airline politics are fun!

About two years ago, our management insisted that the pilot group had to sign an 8 year contract (with no substantial pay raises) in return for Shiny Jets and not parking 30% of our fleet.

Almost immediately after that agreement was signed, every other regional started raising first year pay and offering bonuses, which meant that our first year pay was $20-30k less than any other regional, and no one wanted to work here.

Since we couldn't get new pilots, management did an end-run around the CBA and union, and began offering a $10k "pre employment bonus" late last year. Since there's no conditions attached to the money, several people have waited for the check to clear and then bailed for other regionals, and we still have almost no new pilots.

Now, management is threatening to defer the 33 Shiny Jet orders our contract guaranteed (or give them to a non-union airline) if the union doesn't allow management to unilaterally change first year pay and bonuses whenever they feel like it, which just further antagonized an already pissed off pilot group.

Hilariously, the before management officially announced the threats, our CEO gave a speech at a university about business ethics and "Doing the right thing".

In every company I've ever worked for, the company can change pay and things as needed and on an individual basis without having to negotiate with the whole body of employees. This isn't an issue with management; it's an issue with the fact that every employee is covered under the same contract. One key reason I'd never become a pilot: the silliness inherent in working for a unionized company. The fact that they can't give a normal $10k employment bonus to new pilots because there's a collective bargaining agreement in the way is hilariously weird.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You're why a right seater on a regional earns $35K a year.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

overdesigned posted:

You're why a right seater on a regional earns $35K a year.

If they were cutting pay then, like, yeah I'd get the outrage but the fact that the CBA prevents them from handing out more money is kind of amazing!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

If they were cutting pay then, like, yeah I'd get the outrage but the fact that the CBA prevents them from handing out more money is kind of amazing!

Maybe they should be paying current pilots 10k more.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Mortabis doesn't like unions? I'm shocked!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, this situation is more the company shoved a poo poo contract down the union's throat and now it's biting them in the rear end.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's exactly what it is.

When the contract was being proposed, the union told management that this exact situation was likely to happen, and within a month of the contract being signed (and over a year before it actually kicked in), the industry standard was somewhere around $10/hr higher than we start at, plus signing and retention bonuses.

The previous "final offer" management made to try and fix their mess was to give the existing pilots a $150/yr pay raise beginning in 2018, which went down in flames when the union had us vote on it as a demonstration of how stupid the idea was.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My instructors are driving me mad. They were getting me ready for my flight test despite the fact I told them I need a whole pile more hours (especially instrument hours, and PIC hours) before I can apply for a CPL anyway, and then just when I finally felt ready, they talked to the examiner who said (very reasonably, in my opinion) that there was no good reason to take the flight test before you have all those hours, because you'll fly better on the flight test if you have more practice overall.

Why they were so eager to get me to do the flight test earlier I'm not quite sure -- my main instructor was talking about it as early as January, and I still need 12 instrument hours and 39 PIC even now. I'd certainly rather go into it with more practice/experience, not less.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

PT6A posted:

My instructors are driving me mad. They were getting me ready for my flight test despite the fact I told them I need a whole pile more hours (especially instrument hours, and PIC hours) before I can apply for a CPL anyway, and then just when I finally felt ready, they talked to the examiner who said (very reasonably, in my opinion) that there was no good reason to take the flight test before you have all those hours, because you'll fly better on the flight test if you have more practice overall.

Why they were so eager to get me to do the flight test earlier I'm not quite sure -- my main instructor was talking about it as early as January, and I still need 12 instrument hours and 39 PIC even now. I'd certainly rather go into it with more practice/experience, not less.

I'm not sure I follow. How can you take a flight test if you don't meet the minimums?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Pryor on Fire posted:

Doubt it. Pilots at multiple carriers seem 100% convinced it will blow over within a week because social media outrage lynch mobs had proven time and time again to be retarded and fickle. Even if they wanted to, there aren't enough jets that exist in America to take over UAL's market share. Might shave a percentage point or 2 off of the 2Q earnings though.

Also, Uber is mostly staffed by 20-30 year olds who will overreact because they hop jobs every 2 years anyway, while an airline is mostly 40-50 year olds that have been working there for years who have families and lives they don't want to uproot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'm not sure I follow. How can you take a flight test if you don't meet the minimums?

The minimums for the flight test are: 75% of the total hours required for the license (150 hours total), and written exam complete.

For actually applying for the license, I still need another 12-ish hours of instrument time (5 of which can be in a simulator), 39 hours PIC, and I need to complete my 300nm radius cross-country. I could theoretically do all that after passing the flight test, but there's not much point in doing the flight test before I get the hours.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So you can sit for the exam, but you can't get the certificate until you've filed the paperwork?

*canada*

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Captain Apollo posted:

So you can sit for the exam, but you can't get the certificate until you've filed the paperwork?

*canada*

Yep, general rule of thumb in Canada is that written tests require 50% of the flying TT completed prior to an attempt and flight tests require 75% of the flying TT completed. Now, when it comes to PPLs I only ever saw people attempt it with some outstanding sub-requirement (like being short one hour of the 5 required instrument) and never TT. CPL I personally signed off 3 that were about ~20 hours short on TT and/or PIC time. They were performing well within the flight test standards so why not just knock the test out of the way and have a bit of un=pressured fun with the remaining time. In almost all cases the application for the license/rating is done separately from the flight test anyways, usually by a Transport Canada 'Authorized Person', although many examiners are also APs and can technically sign you off on the spot if you're ready.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

Yep, general rule of thumb in Canada is that written tests require 50% of the flying TT completed prior to an attempt and flight tests require 75% of the flying TT completed. Now, when it comes to PPLs I only ever saw people attempt it with some outstanding sub-requirement (like being short one hour of the 5 required instrument) and never TT. CPL I personally signed off 3 that were about ~20 hours short on TT and/or PIC time. They were performing well within the flight test standards so why not just knock the test out of the way and have a bit of un=pressured fun with the remaining time. In almost all cases the application for the license/rating is done separately from the flight test anyways, usually by a Transport Canada 'Authorized Person', although many examiners are also APs and can technically sign you off on the spot if you're ready.

I'm probably going to be around 30 hours short on PIC by the time I actually do my flight test, partly because I took 10 years off so I had a lot of dual time to do before I could go solo again at all (and same thing with my earlier training -- I did my RPP first and then did a whole bunch of dual time to get up to PPL standard for the flight test once I turned 17).

I talked with my instructor about it today and she basically said, "you're flying up to standard now, you just got there quicker than average" so she didn't check my hours beyond making sure I was over 150 TT. That's sort of odd because I feel like something of a slow learner, all things considered, but whatever. There's definitely room for me to improve on pretty much all my air exercises, so I don't mind taking some extra time. I wanna nail that bastard to the wall with all 4s, not just scrape a pass :v:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:stare:

Yikes man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Just an FYI: If you hit a goose with the cockpit at 200 knots check your switches. Apparently the impact can be hard enough to pop switchlights out of the overhead panel. On a related note does anyone know where to buy some clean underwear in OMA?

:stonk:

gently caress geese.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Mortabis posted:

In every company I've ever worked for, the company can change pay and things as needed and on an individual basis without having to negotiate with the whole body of employees. This isn't an issue with management; it's an issue with the fact that every employee is covered under the same contract. One key reason I'd never become a pilot: the silliness inherent in working for a unionized company. The fact that they can't give a normal $10k employment bonus to new pilots because there's a collective bargaining agreement in the way is hilariously weird.

The seniority system at airlines that ties pay and benefits to longevity at one particular airline requires that employees make a long term investment in working at one company. This should benefit both parties as the employee accrues higher pay and benefits over time and the company saves on training costs and gets an experienced and knowledgeable pilot they develop over time. This is the way airlines have been working for a long time and while it's far from perfect it's been the only way that's really worked out well.

When a company decides to just throw that agreement out the window with shady "pre-employment bonuses" outside of a CBA or threatens to basically kill an airline by withholding airplanes if the union doesn't shred up their collective bargaining agreement that is acting in bad faith. It's especially egregious when you do it to your own subsidiary. That shows how little you think of your brand and your employees. And your pilots are unlikely to forget.

Though then again maybe they are. Everyone at Envoy seems to go on and on about how great things are now when a year or two ago they were in the same boat as Horizon in a lot of ways.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

KodiakRS posted:

Holy poo poo dude

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

Was this on climb out, or descent? And instead of underwear maybe buy a steak instead for surviving that pants-making GBS threads incident.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
If you need a steakhouse in Omaha, highly recommend the Drover. Very 70s style, but their Whiskey Filet is ah-mazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Ugh starting tomorrow it's that time of year again where this will be the soundtrack to my life for the next 3 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwwBYzU2gE

• Locked thread