Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
MVP: Westbrook. I understand the arguments for Harden, Westbrook, LeBron, and Leonard. They are all valid. I'd give it to Westbrook because he did something many people assumed wouldn't happen while they were alive.

DPOY: Gobert. Almost all the numbers are in his favor. When he is playing well, he is the best defensive big in the league and he plays well often. It was between Gobert and Leonard for me. In a way that almost made it an argument of what you value more on defense.

MIP: Giannis. He is turning into a superstar. Other players have had nice improvements but the Greek Freak's improvements are going to impact the league long term.

ROY: Dario. Dario only because Embiid lack of games played.

6th Man: Lou Williams. I didn't follow this category as much and know Williams has been in a slump. The award is about the season and not how you close out. Gordon and Iggy also have decent arguments for this award.

Coach: Spoelstra. Considering all the injuries and roster, he was amazing. Since January 15th, the only team with a better record than them is Golden State. Think about how insane that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Papercut posted:

Poor Lamarcus Aldridge went from All-Star to spare part in just 2 seasons, haha

it was pretty funny that the #1 team deserves 4 all-star selections but the #2 team only one

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Papercut posted:

Yes :colbert:

What kind of format are they announcing the awards in? I know it's all at once this year, but is it going to be award show style? Seems dumb if so

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dexo posted:

Meh. If you can't make the playoffs in the east you don't deserve to be the COY imo.

I'm mostly being flip, as Spo did an insanely good job. But man you guys are talking about giving a .500 coach in the east a COY award

Like even those years we were talking up giving Thibs CoY for coaching those garbage rear end Roseless teams he was making the playoffs at a decent seeding.

It's all subjective based on whatever you think a coach should do. Under traditional definitions yeah he's not a COTY candidate but to get a team of castoffs and journeymen to buy into a system and go from 11-30 to 30-11 is kind of ridiculous. That includes Whiteside, the supposed lazy headcase, who had his best year ever in the first year of a big new contract while the team was on track for a top 2 pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Maybe I'm the crazy one. But no one but Mike D'Antoni, Brad Stevens, or Pop should Win Coach of the Year this year.

This isn't Coach of the Second half of the year. Or best turn around. The Heat were terrible for half of the year. Good on him for figuring it out and righting the ship. And raising team Camaraderie But man, What D'antoni did in Houston is spectacular.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Spo absolutely deserves at least a look at COTY for the turn around his team did. Heat deserve a playoff spot. This sucks.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Voting for brogdan is drat shameful.

It's also demonstrative of knowing poo poo about basketball.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, Spo took a team destined for the lottery (they were 9-30!!) to almost the playoffs. that was a scenario where Miami pretty much had to win almost every game to make the playoffs, and the only reason they're not is because the Bulls refused to die quietly

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spacebump posted:

To be fair to Pop, this is his first time to have two 60 win seasons in a row. This year is just stacked with good candidates for many of the awards. (because the NBA is deeper now than in previous eras despite what random old people will tell you.) Basically Pop's job this year showed us Duncan is a system player and once that old center retired, the Spurs kept rolling like they lost nothing. that last part was a joke
What if when Pop retires the Spurs keep rolling along and it turns out Pop is a system coach

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Spo absolutely deserves at least a look at COTY for the turn around his team did. Heat deserve a playoff spot. This sucks.

Maybe I'm being too hyperbolic. And I actually agree with the latter point.

I guess he deserves a look, and I'll grant him a top 5 coaching job this year. But man. D'antoni seems like he should be the runaway favorite for this award.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 13, 2017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Lebron COTY

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

MVP: Kawhi
Rookie: Brogdon
DPOY: Gobert
6th man: Lou Williams
MIP: Greek Freak
CoY: Pop

It's almost like this MVP race is incredibly close and people have to make difficult decisions.

The fact that Westbrooks teammates were worse shooters matters. Results matter. Yes Westbrook can't help this but it effects his results and play so it has to be taken into consideration. At least Lowe is being upfront about it.
Lowe said he was punishing Westbrook because he had a historically high usage rate, that's not even judging his play, that's judging him negatively for carrying his team to an unprecedented degree

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
My votes would be-

MVP: Westbrook
Harden would be my runner up (alternatively whoever wins the first round playoff series gets it)

Green would be my runner up.

MIP: Jokic
Giannis might have had a more statistically improved season, but Jokic kind of blew up out of nowhere and really took over in my opinion.

ROTY: Brogdon
Weakest winner maybe of all-time but whatever, should be Embiid but his sample is so small.

COTY: D'Antoni
Greatest exceeding of expectations in the league this year I think. Most people had Rockets pegged as a fringe playoff team not a conference power. Spoelstra gets my runner up on this one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

seriously, Spo took a team destined for the lottery (they were 9-30!!) to almost the playoffs. that was a scenario where Miami pretty much had to win almost every game to make the playoffs, and the only reason they're not is because the Bulls refused to die quietly

Bulls went 7-3 down the stretch. Miami went 6-4. Bulls were in a worse position than Miami was in 10 games out albeit with the advantage of the Tiebreaker. That's the race. Win games control your own destiny and you don't have to worry about what other teams do.

And I loving hate the goddamn fact the Bulls managed to get in the playoffs and I'm going to have to hear Gar Foreman's loving bullshit about how this is a playoff team blah blah 9 playoff appearances in the past 10 years(or whatever the gently caress it is now) that is going to allow him to keep his job. I was rooting for the heat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate Jokic being MIP on a fundamental level because it goes back to the stereotype winners that just won because they got more minutes I.E. Kevin Love, Paul George, Ryan Anderson, etc.

Giannis went from length transition guy to a legitimate 1-5 defender and improved on all facets of his game outside of a 3-pointer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbh I'd like to submit consideration for Fred Hoiberg to be coach of the year.

What other coach had to deal with a roster that, other than the 3 alpha's and Robin Lopez, was a team full of D-Leaguers. A Front office that was literally giving him all of the players who would never ever fit his style of play. And then in January had a blow up where the Alpha's Civil war split with Butler and Wade and the Vets going up against the Rondo led Faction with the young players.

Hoiberg had to deal with so much BS this year.

he still sucks tho

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dexo posted:

Bulls went 7-3 down the stretch. Miami went 6-4. Bulls were in a worse position than Miami was in 10 games out albeit with the advantage of the Tiebreaker. That's the race. Win games control your own destiny and you don't have to worry about what other teams do.

And I loving hate the goddamn fact the Bulls managed to get in the playoffs and I'm going to have to hear Gar Foreman's loving bullshit about how this is a playoff team blah blah 9 playoff appearances in the past 10 years(or whatever the gently caress it is now) that is going to allow him to keep his job. I was rooting for the heat.

Waiters got hurt. Heat were injured all year and their best player medically retired due to blood clots.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm sad that I wasn't quick enough to be the first one here to point to mike d antoni as the coy

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
MVP: Harden
MIP: Giannis
ROY: Obama
6th Man: Iggy
Coach: Pop

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dion Waiters is probably not even top 5 most improved players but I think he deserves a shout because the Heat noticeably got worse once he went down and that's a big step up for him. He and Dragic had a real nice thing going in the backcourt this year when both were healthy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Maybe I'm being too hyperbolic. And I actually agree with the latter point.

I guess he deserves a look, and I'll grant him a top 5 coaching job this year. But man. D'antoni seems like he should be the runaway favorite for this award.

Your not crazy, I think people are looking for reasons to not give it to D'Antoni for some reason. Spo did a real nice job, but let's also not forget that the first half of the year counts as much as the last half. I don't think a team with the 17th best record deserves to be in the playoffs regardless of how good they ended.

Note: I think Spo did a really good job (before someone argues a strawman point)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Carlosologist posted:

Spo had an almost-playoff team and still went 9-30

Don't know why he should get credit for the second half but a pass on the first half.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jeff Van Gundy's greatest fear: the lack of outrage over tanking

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

dokmo posted:

Don't know why he should get credit for the second half but a pass on the first half.

I don't know if it's a pass, per se, 9-30 wasn't really underachieving considering their roster.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"If you're going to skip one game to decrease the frequency of injury, you might as well skip the whole season!"- future Orlando Magic coach Jeff Van Gundy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

What if when Pop retires the Spurs keep rolling along and it turns out Pop is a system coach
I'm hoping Bud will wash out of the hawks by then and take his place as rightful heir

What's the consensus on him as a coach after these last couple seasons incidentally? Has he gotten any blame for any Atlanta woes as a coach or has it been more about personnel moves he may have directed being problematic? He's in an SVG/Doc situation where he's wearing both hats, right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm hoping Bud will wash out of the hawks by then and take his place as rightful heir

What's the consensus on him as a coach after these last couple seasons incidentally? Has he gotten any blame for any Atlanta woes as a coach or has it been more about personnel moves he may have directed being problematic? He's in an SVG/Doc situation where he's wearing both hats, right?

Becky Hammon is going to take over and dominate when Pop retires.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sir Armstrong is a veteran not a rookie

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
MVP - Harden, with Kawhi as a close runner-up. Westbrook is so fun to watch, but triple doubles is a completely artificial metric and I can't get past Westbrook's awful shooting efficiency and his deliberate abandonment of his defensive responsibilities to set up for more uncontested rebounds. I'm a curmudgeon that way.

COY - D'Antoni. I genuinely thought Houston was going to be a train wreck this year, far worse than the Thunder. What D'Antoni has done with that team is a drat miracle. My runner up is Scott Brooks in Washington. It's really hard to teach a perennial loser team how to be a winner. Spoelstra had a great second half of the season, but he also is responsible for the lousy first half and they didn't even make the playoffs in the East.

DPOY - Draymond, with Gobert as a close runner up. Draymond is a defensive savant who does everything possible anywhere on the court on every play to disrupt an offense. His help defense and rotations are always a step ahead of everyone else.

ROY - not a strong year. Brogden I guess.

6th Man - Eric Gordon. Iggy might have deserved it if you only count the second half of the season.

MIP - Greek Freak by a mile.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

where's the thread title from?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

So you believe the Heat should have been a 50+ win team?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Do you think they "should have" been a 20 win team? The fact is, they were a 41 win team. Hmmm

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MVP - Kawhi

COY - Kawhi

DPOY - Kawhi

ROY - Kawhi

6th Man - Kawhi

MIP - Kawhi

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Papercut posted:

People talking about him like he's a washed up 37 year old has been hilarious this season.

Edit:

I'd vote for Kawhi, I guess.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 13, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The straight ticket (how most people vote):

MVP - Curry
COY - Kerr
DPOY - Green
ROY - McCaw
6th Man - Iguodala
MIP - Durant

Theoretical potential:

MVP - Jordan
COY - Jackson
DPOY - Bynum
ROY - Embiid
6th Man - Duncan
MIP - Rose

Dexo posted:

Edit: But seriously if the Bulls win 3+ of these games I will never say a bad thing about Gar and/or Pax again

The East is to unremarkable that I wouldn't be surprised if three lower seeds won in the first round. Pacers beating the Cavaliers would be a little surprising.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

NBA season tends to tell you exactly what your team should be.

Miami outperformed where I thought they would be. But not so much that it would make a .500 coach CoY.

If they had won 50 games then I would be right behind you in voting for Spo as he would be the 4 seed(as high as 2 if they beat Toronto and Cleveland for some of those wins).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Triple doubles are a completely artificial metric but let me tell about this advanced metric that takes these specific stats hand chosen by statistic artisans from the isles of deviation...

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

So justise Winslow is a giant bust, yeah?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

So justise Winslow is a giant bust, yeah?

He seems catastrophically bad so yeah I think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Exactly. And that draft we took Jordan Hill even though DeRozan was sitting right there. There were also a bunch of lame trade ups that the Knicks could have easily done to net Rubio or Curry. There was also such a log jam up front that the Hill pick made zero sense at all.

This team.

I just want to go a step further back into the year 1999 when we used the 15th pick to take Frédéric Weis aka THE GUY VINCE CARTER DUNKED ON WHO NEVER PLAYED A SINGLE MINUTE IN THE NBA and the following pick was used by the Chicago Bulls to draft a dude from NYC itself, Ron Artest, who was actually pretty good at basketball

• Locked thread