Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do not shame my tacos.

And get the gently caress out of here with some Chillis taco pics that have been photoshopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The only fish taco I eat is your mom's, and SA would ban me for posting a picture.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Salmon still no good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Thaddius the Large posted:

The only fish taco I eat is your mom's, and SA would ban me for posting a picture.

Since when do you get banned for posting the Sarlacc pit?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's what my dad said.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It's Taco, and Jesus your food is just constantly so sad

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Also true confessions I cannot fold a burrito. It never stays it's shape.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Amy Pole Her posted:

It's Taco, and Jesus your food is just constantly so sad

Much like you're law career.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't really do seafood, not my thing, but my wife is catholic, so it comes up during lent. Tilapia had a weird taste, but I've been enjoying the rockfish we get from Costco, only $1/lb more than the tilapia, and way better flavor. Is this just me having a garbage palate for fish (admittedly the case), or what cheap seafood does meet TFF approval.

I know it's not really manly but I care about the environment so I like to pick fish based on how sustainable they are.

This tool is pretty useful:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations

Rockfish seems to be all over the map depending on the actual species and source:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/rockfish?q=rockfish&t=rockfish

Tilapia is less ambiguous, unless you're getting colombian tilapia you're in good shape:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tilapia

As a general rule, farmed freshwater/vegetarian fish that are farmed in the US are an excellent choice. Wild-caught Alaskan fish are another excellent choice, because it has the best-managed wild fisheries in the world. Farmed salmon and other carniverous fish are pretty bad choices, because they're fed fishmeal and are also a serious health risk to the wild populations.

So for white fish, alaskan cod is a really good pick. It holds together really well for stuff like deep frying or a fish stew, but can flake nicely for fish tacos. For a delicate white fish I like sanddabs (a Best Choice fish) lightly breaded and very quickly fried.

My go-to for an inexpensive, whole fresh fish to just fillet and then cook in butter, lemon, and maybe some dill or shallots is farmed rainbow trout.

When it comes to sushi, I have a weakness for yellowfin tuna, aka Maguro. Unfortunately it's often impossible to tell exactly where it's from or how it was caught, and uh...
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tuna?type=yellowfin&q=Tuna,%20Yellowfin&t=tuna
Yeah. It's a severely overfished fish. :(

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am on a seafood diet

When I see food, I carefully considered its nutritional content in relation to my intended fitness goals and deduce whether its consumption would be beneficial towards those goals.

You have an irony deficiency....

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

Much like you're law career.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Oberst posted:

You have an irony deficiency....

Its why I have started using asterisks as a supplement*

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Goddamn lol self own Thursday continues

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bad Moon posted:

Also true confessions I cannot fold a burrito. It never stays it's shape.

You gotta do it while the tortilla is still moist from being steamed.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A Man and his dog posted:

Do not shame my tacos.

And get the gently caress out of here with some Chillis taco pics that have been photoshopped.

Why are you going to Chili's for the culinary perfection of the 🌮

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9VoArnS44

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I know it's not really manly but I care about the environment so I like to pick fish based on how sustainable they are.

This tool is pretty useful:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations

Rockfish seems to be all over the map depending on the actual species and source:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/rockfish?q=rockfish&t=rockfish

Tilapia is less ambiguous, unless you're getting colombian tilapia you're in good shape:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tilapia

As a general rule, farmed freshwater/vegetarian fish that are farmed in the US are an excellent choice. Wild-caught Alaskan fish are another excellent choice, because it has the best-managed wild fisheries in the world. Farmed salmon and other carniverous fish are pretty bad choices, because they're fed fishmeal and are also a serious health risk to the wild populations.

So for white fish, alaskan cod is a really good pick. It holds together really well for stuff like deep frying or a fish stew, but can flake nicely for fish tacos. For a delicate white fish I like sanddabs (a Best Choice fish) lightly breaded and very quickly fried.

My go-to for an inexpensive, whole fresh fish to just fillet and then cook in butter, lemon, and maybe some dill or shallots is farmed rainbow trout.

When it comes to sushi, I have a weakness for yellowfin tuna, aka Maguro. Unfortunately it's often impossible to tell exactly where it's from or how it was caught, and uh...
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tuna?type=yellowfin&q=Tuna,%20Yellowfin&t=tuna
Yeah. It's a severely overfished fish. :(

I would stay away from farmed fish in general because they are generally much higher in mercury. Especially salmon.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

This is cool and useful, thanks! I've no idea what specific species I'm getting, but being on the west coast I'd think it was somewhere close by. Good to keep an eye on.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
When I was in Costa Rica last February I had a deep fried Catch of the Day for lunch at a beachfront restaurant. I have no idea what kind of fish it was but it was amazing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's crazy how different he and his brother are.

Every night after I get the kids down, Rick Bayless teaches me how to make a couple excellent Mexican dishes.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would stay away from farmed fish in general because they are generally much higher in mercury. Especially salmon.

Yeah, wild caught is your best choice or fish. Costco has a p good variety of froze, wild caught fillets.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Bad Moon posted:

Salmon still no good.

Then you're not doing it right, salmon loving owns.

Nov 6, 2002

Salmon is soooo good. But don't eat more than once a month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is incorrect.

Peak predator fish concentrate mercury and there is lots and lots of it in e.g. wild tuna. Eat fish lower on the food chain (e.g., vegetarian fish like tilapia) and they'll be naturally lower in heavy metals like mercury. The most common farmed fish are tilapia, trout, catfish, and salmon, and these are all lower in mercury.

https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/walletcard.pdf

The fish at the bottom of the card are the peak predators. Many of the fish at the top are freshwater farmed fish like tilapia and catfish, as well as the small oily fishes ("baitfish") that you can usually buy in a can and definitely should, because sardines are glorious.

e. Farmed fish do tend to be higher in PCBs and other pesticides, because they're often fed stuff like soy, which comes from farms where we use that stuff. But the mercury levels are generally no different than the same species in the wild.

e2. and as I mentioned earlier, you should avoid farmed salmon. Not because of the mercury risk but because they seem to be really bad for the wild salmon populations, which is exactly the opposite of the real goal for farming fish: to reduce the pressure on wild populations.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you never went to a trout farm as a kid and got excited as poo poo when the lure you cast got a bite within seconds and you reeled in the im biggest fish you'd ever seen than I have no idea what to tell you.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah just don't buy Chinese Tilapia.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Leperflesh posted:

This is incorrect.

Peak predator fish concentrate mercury and there is lots and lots of it in e.g. wild tuna. Eat fish lower on the food chain (e.g., vegetarian fish like tilapia) and they'll be naturally lower in heavy metals like mercury. The most common farmed fish are tilapia, trout, catfish, and salmon, and these are all lower in mercury.

The fish at the bottom of the card are the peak predators. Many of the fish at the top are freshwater farmed fish like tilapia and catfish, as well as the small oily fishes ("baitfish") that you can usually buy in a can and definitely should, because sardines are glorious.

e. Farmed fish do tend to be higher in PCBs and other pesticides, because they're often fed stuff like soy, which comes from farms where we use that stuff. But the mercury levels are generally no different than the same species in the wild.

I like pop tarts as well

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Leperflesh posted:

I thought one reason farmed fish may have higher mercury is that they are fed fishmeal? Which I am guessing has higher mercury than their regular prey in the wild, or maybe it doesn't

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

If you never went to a trout farm as a kid and got excited as poo poo when the lure you cast got a bite within seconds and you reeled in the im biggest fish you'd ever seen than I have no idea what to tell you.

Oh yeah, I remember that rite of passage, the old trip to the trout farm.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Eli Wiggum posted:

When I was in Costa Rica last February I had a deep fried Catch of the Day for lunch at a beachfront restaurant. I have no idea what kind of fish it was but it was amazing.

I get poo poo like this all the time in Panama. Usually its some type of snapper.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Isn't Tilapia just catfish that can't be called catfish because of some old law? I could swear I read that somewhere.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Leperflesh posted:

This is incorrect.

This is an extremely good post. For many species, farmed fish are way healthier than the wild counterparts. The fishing industry or something has done a great lobbying job because consumers are suspicious of farmed fish.

But also stop eating any animals you dorks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I thought one reason farmed fish may have higher mercury is that they are fed fishmeal? Which I am guessing has higher mercury than their regular prey in the wild, or maybe it doesn't

Carniverous farmed fish are fed fishmeal, and that means salmon. Vegetarian farmed fish are not, and that means trout, catfish, tilapia, and several others. "Farmed fish are bad" is unfortunately not a useful rule of thumb: we need to be eating freshwater non-carniverous farmed fish, because that reduces the pressure on severely impacted wild populations.

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't Tilapia just catfish that can't be called catfish because of some old law? I could swear I read that somewhere.

No. They're a kind of nile riverfish, if I remember right. They don't look anything like catfish, either.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That's definitely a snapper.

I love it. One of the best to spear and grill

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh yeah, I remember that rite of passage, the old trip to the trout farm.

Some of us grew up out in the country where there were trout hatcheries. I take my kids to one probably once a year.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Love a good snapper

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

No. They're a kind of nile riverfish, if I remember right. They don't look anything like catfish, either.

I'm probably getting it mixed up with something else, I remember reading about some big US catfish industry campaign back in the 80s. Or maybe it was tilapia and they were just trying to make it seem like the fish was dangerous to eat and that's what mixed me up?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Used to go "illegal" fishing for rainbow trout with my grandfather when I was a kid. Also we'd sneak around golf courses and country clubs and steal golf balls in the woods. Great man.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Proper salty lox on a fresh bagel with a little smear of cream cheese is fantastic. None of that nova lox bullshit, though.

My digestive tract is basically bomb-proof, but the one time I ate tilapia it gave me terror farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Committing crimes to golf courses is American as gently caress.

• Locked thread