Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoubleDonut posted:

My parents haven't played games since the NES and I was hoping to give them a way to play the games they enjoyed that would work on modern TVs and boot up more than once every 20 tries

Buy a raspberry Pi and put emulators on it?

I have an actual NES and SNES, but your gramps ain't gonna know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

To play further devil's advocate Id say last gen was the worst since like the Atari age. Excepting the Wii U but idk where that falls

But ps3 had tons of cool poo poo???!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

another win for we, the Real NES owners

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's been nearly a month since I ordered that drat flashcart.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

oddium posted:

another win for we, the Real NES owners

I gave mines to my cousin in Mexico. loving getting consoles over there are expensive poo poo.

Warms my heart it's still there when I visit from time to time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a word for that inability some people have to watch old black-and-white movies? I have that but for pre-SNES games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a word for that inability some people have to watch old black-and-white movies? I have that but for pre-SNES games

Youth

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

philistines

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

It's called "dweeb syndrome" and I'm so sorry you had to find out this way

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spoderman posted:

It's called "dweeb syndrome" and I'm so sorry you had to find out this way

That's backwards then, but I guess language does change over time, "literally" can now be used to mean "figuratively" for example!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am now convinced that Nintendo is not a corporation run for profit, but rather an incarnation of Loki or possibly one of the more capricious lesser pantheon

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Loki has tricked us all, into playing excellent games!!!

That scamp.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just finished the end of Disc 1 of PE2. It's cool thinking about how people would have huge climatic battles because they were disc transitions.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried playing the original Legend of Zelda and couldn't get into it at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's only like five good nes games. punchout, castlevania. uh. mario. excitebike

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

precision posted:

I am now convinced that Nintendo is not a corporation run for profit, but rather an incarnation of Loki or possibly one of the more capricious lesser pantheon

We're gonna call the new Nintendo 3DS... The New Nintendo 3DS! :twisted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

there's only like five good nes games. punchout, castlevania. uh. mario. excitebike

Castlevania III

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a lot of good nes games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega Man 1-6

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
DuckTales, Shatterhand, Batman, Dr Mario, Metal Storm, Kirby

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Since we're posting hot takes, Super Metroid is the citizen kane of games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like Blood Omen: Citizen of Kain.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright here's some more hot takes

Mega Man X8 is kinda cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's one of mine I keep in my back pocket: video games are good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some video games are good, miniature american flags for others

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are no "bad" video games. There are two categories of games: games that are Symphony of the Night and games that are not Symphony of the Night

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I like Blood Omen: Citizen of Kain.

:yeah:

Roseblood

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure they're in a situation where they could keep making a cheap, fad console or make more switches. The latter is definitely the one that'll make more money in the long run.

It was clear from the start that the whole point of the thing was to help pay the bills for those low earning months before the switch came out. It fulfilled its capitalist purpose.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

It was the least exciting of the console generations during which I was actually playing games, I guess. I suppose I can't really compare it to pre-NES stuff because I wasn't playing games yet so I don't really have any experience there.

It's probably just down to the kinds of games that I like. For me, NES, SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64, and PS2/Xbox/GameCube were crazy treasure troves of rad games everywhere. Maybe I also feel like the PS3/360/Wii generation was kinda crappy just because of how long it was around and, even though there were a lot of good games, they were pretty far between.

This is ridculous, the PS3/360 generation is when online multiplayer and digital downloads became mainstream on consoles, and when indie / smaller developers were able to break into the console space. (I don't know that the Wii can rightly be counted in this though, because Nintendo was/is so hilariously far behind in online implementation.)
If you can't think of like a dozen games just offhand that you enjoyed and you owned at least one of those consoles then there's something wrong with you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ive beaten 320 games in the last year :stare: i need to get out more, luckily minneapolis trip is next week

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
ehh NES games are really limited by the hardware

even the good ones haven't aged so well, it's prob the one emulator I don't ever go back to. It doesn't help that the first party titles have mostly gotten updated or revised releases on other consoles.

Mega Man is good but Mega Man X is where it's at

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Quest For Glory II posted:

ive beaten 320 games in the last year :stare: i need to get out more, luckily minneapolis trip is next week

I've beaten....5-9 games in the last two years bruh wtf

then again I go for lengthy titles that I never actually finish

E: wait a second mister how in the hell do you beat an average of almost a game a day??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

That is helluva impressive considering I literally play games as an obligation and have finished maybe 1/3rd that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In Training posted:

Alright here's some more hot takes

Mega Man X8 is kinda cool

in new game plus you can buy character swaps so you can play as alia and the other two girls instead of ever touching axl again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

well, scalpers are really gonna cash in now, aren't they.

Help Im Alive posted:

With how successful the NES Mini was, why hasn't Sega made a Little Genesis with a bunch of Sonic games/Gunstar Heroes etc

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis...genesis+classic
No Gunstar Heroes, but you can get it on other consoles so there is that I guess?

an actual dog posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure they're in a situation where they could keep making a cheap, fad console or make more switches.

¿Por que no los dos?

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis...genesis+classic
No Gunstar Heroes, but you can get it on other consoles so there is that I guess?

Phantasium posted:

They've been making them for years and you can even play Genesis carts in them.

They're trash, though.

Kaboobi posted:

they have, but they're terrible and nobody cares about old genesis games anymore

Well yeah but what if Sega actually made one that works good instead of whoever Atgames is

they could market it with that sonic meme twitter account

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KingSlime posted:

I've beaten....5-9 games in the last two years bruh wtf

then again I go for lengthy titles that I never actually finish

E: wait a second mister how in the hell do you beat an average of almost a game a day??
cause there are days where i beat multiple really short games in the same day. also some games were hidden object games which are usually about 2hrs long each

e: for example I've beaten 7 games in the past week, icarus.1 was 1.7hr, ninja pizza girl was 1.2hr, rituals was 0.7hr, event[0] was 2.3, ultraworld exodus was 1.1, and then the two long games were diaries of a spaceport janitor (8) and finishing off the second half of shadow warrior 2013 (6). to go further back, dead end road was 1.5, abzu 1.4, neon shadow 1.4, superhot 2.4

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 13, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

an actual dog posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure they're in a situation where they could keep making a cheap, fad console or make more switches.

why not both?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
oh my loving god
https://clips.twitch.tv/ZanyAbrasiveGoshawkRedCoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So Big Boss invented the moonwalk as well as Doritos....

• Locked thread