Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Some of us grew up out in the country where there were trout hatcheries. I take my kids to one probably once a year.

I think visiting a trout farm is more of a regional thing (particularly south?) than rural per say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Committing crimes to golf courses is American as gently caress.

Caddyshack is a vital life lesson learning tool.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'm probably getting it mixed up with something else, I remember reading about some big US catfish industry campaign back in the 80s. Or maybe it was tilapia and they were just trying to make it seem like the fish was dangerous to eat and that's what mixed me up?

Yeah I dunno!

There is some shady fish-renaming though. Like "chilean sea bass" isn't any kind of bass at all, it's patagonian toothfish.

Here in CA when I was a kid we'd fish for rainbow trout in natural streams, which were often stocked with trout annually.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's crazy how different he and his brother are.

Every night after I get the kids down, Rick Bayless teaches me how to make a couple excellent Mexican dishes.

Look up his roasted tomatillo salsa. loving delicious

Nov 6, 2002

A private golf course is the one small business that can afford to weather petty vandalism.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Snapper Is really good.

This is good fish chat.

I'm more into crab, mussels, oysters.

Also Tuna steak. Light cook.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone remember that story about the guy who went to federal prison for a year for stealing rocks for his landscaping company from a federal park/golf course?

When they raided his house in the middle of the night he thought they were there to kill him and apparently did some form of hand to hand combat training and was able to take one of them down, so he got assaulting a federal officer on top of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Grittybeard posted:

I'm probably getting it mixed up with something else, I remember reading about some big US catfish industry campaign back in the 80s. Or maybe it was tilapia and they were just trying to make it seem like the fish was dangerous to eat and that's what mixed me up?

Maybe it had to do with pollutants? If it was the 80s and companies were still loving up rivers whole sale which affects fish? I have fuzzy memories of that as well

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Guys just be aware... from wiki:

Ciguatera. Ciguatera is a foodborne illness caused by eating certain reef fish whose flesh is contaminated with a toxin made by dinoflagellates such as Gambierdiscus toxicus which live in tropical and subtropical waters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doing a little reading. Tilapia are a kind of african cichlid. They're restricted to warm tropical waters, but are definitely an invasive species in a lot of those places.

Snapper is problematic, in part because a lot of fish sold as "Snapper" isn't. Seafoodwatch has some snapper as best choices, but a lot as Avoids, including US caught south Atlantic red snapper (because it is depleted, still overfished, and involves overfished bycatch).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wait don't eat salmon more than once a month? I eat it weekly am I gonna die?!?!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

A Man and his dog posted:

Guys just be aware... from wiki:

Ciguatera. Ciguatera is a foodborne illness caused by eating certain reef fish whose flesh is contaminated with a toxin made by dinoflagellates such as Gambierdiscus toxicus which live in tropical and subtropical waters.

I tend not to eat reef fish

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Spoeank posted:

Wait don't eat salmon more than once a month? I eat it weekly am I gonna die?!?!

...he said before he died

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

The Niners will kill you long before.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Caddyshack is a vital life lesson learning tool.
Caddyshack is bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Caddyshack is bad.

Watch out for this guy

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think visiting a trout farm is more of a regional thing (particularly south?) than rural per say.

This one is in the part of Missouri that proudly associates with the confederate flag so...

Biggest trout I ever caught was in Idaho on a Nez Perce reservation.

a neat cape posted:

Look up his roasted tomatillo salsa. loving delicious

I watched him make it the other night and realized this is where my brother stole his roasted tomatillo salsa recipe from, so I'm gonna make it next time I'm near my family and just give him the side eye the whole time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

http://seafood.edf.org/salmon

You are fine, 4x a month is OK for most kinds of salmon. If you are concerned about mercury, the thing to not be eating as much of is tuna (which a lot of americans eat a lot of because it's cheap and good in cans), as well as swordfish and shark (which very few people eat very much of because it's really expensive).

You are getting a dose of mercury from your salmon, but it's relatively low. Eat alaskan wild caught salmon to avoid other bioaccumulated stuff like PCBs and pesticides, and to ensure that the salmon survive for generations because it's the best managed fishery anywhere. Also salmon is really a healthy and good food in particular compared to red meat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Guy at work is wearing a Warriors shirt.

He wore a rockets shirt yesterday.

Please advise.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Leperflesh thank you for making me feel better.

And I only eat Alaskan non farmed already because I like the taste better

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Leperflesh thank you for making me feel better.

And I only eat Alaskan non farmed already because I like the taste better

gently caress yeah man!

Sometimes it's not even more expensive. I often get alaskan sockeye which is much paler in color but tastes the same and costs around $9.99 a pound. I've gotten whole fresh sockeye at costco for as little $6/lb which is amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wahoo

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok....

Don't tell me not to eat fresh Tuna bro...

I don't care where it came from!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

a neat cape posted:

Guy at work is wearing a Warriors shirt.

He wore a rockets shirt yesterday.

Please advise.

I feel like the NBA is the one team sport where its most accepted to be flexible in team allegiances simply because a single player often is the teams identity, and people like to root for players over teams sometimes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Ok....

Don't tell me not to eat fresh Tuna bro...

I don't care where it came from!

quote:

Albacore and skipjack (aka light) tuna caught in the Pacific Ocean with trolls or polls are "Best Choices." Then look for other "Best Choice" or "Good Alternative" sources. Say, "No, thanks" to bluefin tuna. If you're not sure which species of tuna you're buying and its source, err on the side of caution because many populations are severely overfished.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tuna?q=tuna&t=tuna

You can responsibly eat fresh tuna, but be aware that if the world keeps fishing it the way we are now, it is going to go extinct. And, you're eating a lot of mercury, which bio-accumulates e.g. it never leaves your system.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Leperflesh posted:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/tuna?q=tuna&t=tuna

You can responsibly eat fresh tuna, but be aware that if the world keeps fishing it the way we are now, it is going to go extinct. And, you're eating a lot of mercury, which bio-accumulates e.g. it never leaves your system.

That and pcbs are why the orca populations are declining which is really sad as they hang out in the NW both as local populations of salmon eaters and migratory mammalian predators.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, and you can be hit by a car tomorrow and die.

I'm going to enjoy this fine tuna steak now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

swickles posted:

I feel like the NBA is the one team sport where its most accepted to be flexible in team allegiances simply because a single player often is the teams identity, and people like to root for players over teams sometimes.

Other guy has worn both an Eagles and Raiders hat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/wahoo?q=wahoo&t=wahoo

US Atlantic handline/troll/poll and pelagic longline caught wahoo is good. Hawaiian wahoo is OK, although the same fishers are overfishing tuna. Avoid foreign sources of wahoo due to serious problems with bycatch.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Other guy has worn both an Eagles and Raiders hat

If you're going to wear hats of teams that you aren't directly a fan of minor league baseball is the way to go. Tell him to get a Lugnuts or Lookouts hat.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^ loving LOL

swickles posted:

Agreed. Some of my most prized possessions growing up were my Kemp, Penny Hardaway, and Iverson jerseys.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

hot drat

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Anyone remember that story about the guy who went to federal prison for a year for stealing rocks for his landscaping company from a federal park/golf course?

When they raided his house in the middle of the night he thought they were there to kill him and apparently did some form of hand to hand combat training and was able to take one of them down, so he got assaulting a federal officer on top of it.

At my grandfathers brothers funeral a couple years ago one of his friends is making a speech about what a great guys he is and just drops the fact that he used to steal gravel lmao.

But that story is bullshit. Hopefully he's out of jail by now. Free that brave man.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/wahoo?q=wahoo&t=wahoo

US Atlantic handline/troll/poll and pelagic longline caught wahoo is good. Hawaiian wahoo is OK, although the same fishers are overfishing tuna. Avoid foreign sources of wahoo due to serious problems with bycatch.

I only tend to even see wahoo being sold when we're in Cape Hatteras and i can see the guys bringing the fish off the boats myself so you don't need to worry about that :v:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

:wow:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Alaois posted:

I only tend to even see wahoo being sold when we're in Cape Hatteras and i can see the guys bringing the fish off the boats myself so you don't need to worry about that :v:

Wahoo is Ono, right? I had it for the first time recently and was not a fan. It could be the way it was prepared, but I didn't find it very flavorful and it had almost like a chicken like consistency which was...weird...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

And, you're eating a lot of mercury, which bio-accumulates e.g. it never leaves your system.

That's not exactly true. It has a long half life, but you definitely clear it out of your body. If you managed to not ingest or inhale any mercury whatsoever, you would eliminate all the mercury in your body in about a year.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
eat whatever the gently caress you want we're all dying anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
So I just realized that I missed bookmarking the next TFF chat thread like 3 years ago and somehow just never noticed it. What did I miss?

• Locked thread