Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bulleit Rye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Four Roses Single Barrel (optional private selection)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Josh Lyman posted:

Bulleit Rye

I'm going to counter this with suggesting a more interesting rye like something from High West or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Josh Lyman posted:

Bulleit Rye is terrible and you should buy rittenhouse instead

:same:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Bulleit Rye is easy and cheap to get in 'Yurp (UK especially).

I'm not being much help here

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 11, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Rittenhouse is an incredible Rye. I mean, it's not the best, but it's a mile better than anything else that costs the same. I love it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I haven't been able to find Rittenhouse in a couple years. Sad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

I haven't been able to find Rittenhouse in a couple years. Sad.
Really? It's everywhere here in Atlanta.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

It's regularly available in MA/RI too

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
There are definitely better ryes than Rittenhouse, but at that price range and being 100 proof... Super tough finding better value for money

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Bulleit is decent. Their rye, as many others, is sourced from MGP. But it's cheap and last time I checked they weren't trying to pass it off as something they made themselves. It finds its way into my liquor cabinet with regularity.

Eagle Rare is one of my favourite bourbons. I'd get that if I were looking to spend.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

For a European who hasn't had much bourbon, something with the iconic bourbon flavor seems like a good buy instead of a niche rye.

I'd look for Blanton's, it's really balanced and tasty for a bourbon novice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't have much a palate for ryes since I almost exclusively use them for cocktails, but I never hear anyone recommend Buffalo Trace in here, so there's my recommendation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Could upgrade to Pikesville Rye if you're looking to grab something higher end. Same barrels as Rittenhouse I believe, just more aging (6 years) and stronger proof.

Another good one to look for if you like higher proof stuff is Old Grand-dad 114. Or Booker's.

Can't go wrong with Four Roses Single Barrel and Eagle Rare, though, as several folks have mentioned.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

saltyslug posted:

Visiting Boston from Europe next week and want to get a bottle of something American. Some experience with Irish/Scotch but almost none with American stuff. No preferences flavourwise; a budget of, let's say, $60.

Any suggestions?

kidsafe posted:

Four Roses Single Barrel (optional private selection)

Deceptive Thinker posted:

... Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

Both excellent suggestions. Jimmy Russell and Jim Rutledge are the top master distillers in America and both personally select every barrel that goes into the bottles suggested above.

I would also suggest Bakers. In general I am not a fan of Beam products but I absolutely love Bakers for some reason.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Rutledge actually 'retired' 1.5 years ago, but he did great things helping bring Four Roses back from the dead. And apparently now he's trying to do his own thing...

https://www.jwrutledgedistilleryllc.com/

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 13, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

kidsafe posted:

Rutledge actually 'retired' 1.5 years ago, but he did great things helping bring Four Roses back from the dead. And apparently now he's trying to do his own thing...

https://www.jwrutledgedistilleryllc.com/

Well gently caress, I didn't know. I met him once, some years back and he was very passionate about the brand and sincerely interested in my thoughts on 4R Single Barrel. I told him honestly that it was the best bourbon I've ever tasted and you could see his whole body relax. I'm a nobody, but even my opinion was important to him. It might have been a practiced response but I don't think so, I believe he was sincere about putting out the best bottle possible.

Jimmy Russell and son, Eddie, are jovial and welcoming. I was very impressed with both. But what impressed me most was the entire Wild Turkey distillery and it's lack of technology. Contrast against Buffalo Trace which is very high tech. Woodford which is somewhere in the middle.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Jim Rutledge spent like 5 minutes rinsing the remnants of peat out my Glencairn glass with bottled water at WhiskyFest SF so I could properly taste his whiskies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

4R single barrel was the gateway bourbon for me, and I still remember the flavor of it when I combined it with some smoked duck breast. Amazing.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Thanks for the suggestions. I can get some of them here (e.g. Bulleit, Four Roses, Eagle Rare 10) so I'm making a spreadsheet i can consult when I'm over. Feel free to keep them coming.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vox Nihili posted:

Could upgrade to Pikesville Rye if you're looking to grab something higher end. Same barrels as Rittenhouse I believe, just more aging (6 years) and stronger proof.

Another good one to look for if you like higher proof stuff is Old Grand-dad 114. Or Booker's.

Can't go wrong with Four Roses Single Barrel and Eagle Rare, though, as several folks have mentioned.

I went to get an article about OGD 114 being discontinued and instead I found one saying that they let their supply run out but have decided to continue producing later this year. :dance:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

saltyslug posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I can get some of them here (e.g. Bulleit, Four Roses, Eagle Rare 10) so I'm making a spreadsheet i can consult when I'm over. Feel free to keep them coming.

Where in Boston are you staying? There are a couple of good whiskey shops right downtown, and a bunch outside of the city.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I'll be in East Cambridge.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hm, so I'm hearing that I need to try 4 Roses and the single barrel offerings. Sigh, how terrible, more bourbon to drink. :D

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Vox Nihili posted:

Finally found Four Roses Single Barrel a few months ago, and it was pretty drat good. I like the richness compared to most other bourbons.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hm, so I'm hearing that I need to try 4 Roses and the single barrel offerings. Sigh, how terrible, more bourbon to drink. :D

At least even the worst bourbon and rye whiskies mix decently with pop. That's the excuse I give myself to buy new bottles.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

saltyslug posted:

Random thought: if you have any familiarity with more affordable bourbons and know which ones of those you like better, that might give you an idea of which more "upscale" bourbon you'd like best.

Eagle Rare > Buffalo Trace
Russell's Reserve > Wild Turkey 101
Four Roses Single Barrel > Four Roses Small Batch >> Four Roses yellow label

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Finally found Four Roses Single Barrel a few months ago, and it was pretty drat good. I like the richness compared to most other bourbons.

Years ago I had a Single Barrel that was not good (At a bottle share I do with a few friends occasionally). Maybe it was just a bad batch or something, but it turned me off Four Roses.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

MalleusDei posted:

Years ago I had a Single Barrel that was not good (At a bottle share I do with a few friends occasionally). Maybe it was just a bad batch or something, but it turned me off Four Roses.

I think someone here mentioned that there's probably more variance in bottling because of the single barrel.

Like I said, worse comes to worst you just paid a bit more than usual for mixing whisky.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mojo1701a posted:

At least even the worst bourbon and rye whiskies mix decently with pop...

:barf:

No I used to mix them when I was young, but I gave up sweetened drinks years ago and now can't stand them except that maybe once a year I get a craving for ginger ale or root beer.

sean10mm posted:

Eagle Rare > Buffalo Trace

Hmmm, well that makes sense. I've never really been a fan of either one but never associated those two. Just like Bookers > Beam, I guess. Never cared for either of those either. Though oddly I love Bakers which is also a Beam product.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

wormil posted:

No I used to mix them when I was young, but I gave up sweetened drinks years ago and now can't stand them except that maybe once a year I get a craving for ginger ale or root beer.

Really? Rye and coke-- hell, actual rye whisky and ginger ale is really nice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

wormil posted:

Hmmm, well that makes sense. I've never really been a fan of either one but never associated those two. Just like Bookers > Beam, I guess. Never cared for either of those either. Though oddly I love Bakers which is also a Beam product.

My understanding is that they're exactly the same thing made in the same place, except Eagle Rare is just older.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mojo1701a posted:

Really? Rye and coke-- hell, actual rye whisky and ginger ale is really nice.

Yeah, 20 years ago I would have liked a mixer, not now. Occasionally I will drink a screwdriver, the only way I can stand vodka is mixed with something. It's odd, after years off sugary drinks they feel slimy or clingy, for lack of a better term, in my mouth and the texture puts me off as much as the taste. Just to clarify, when I mentioned ginger ale or root beer, I drink them plain, no alcohol.

sean10mm posted:

My understanding is that they're exactly the same thing made in the same place, except Eagle Rare is just older.

I toured Buffalo Trace, seems like I should have known that; maybe I did once.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Same mashbill, same barrel stock. Main difference is that Eagle Rare is aged at least ten years, which is pretty substantial for a bourbon. In theory, they also pick superior barrels that fit within the ER flavor profile.

If you run into ER store picks I highly recommend giving one a try. The one I tried was $30 w/ immensely oily feel and strong apple flavor on top of the usual caramel backbone, finished it off in two weeks.

Edit: anything in the top left corner likely comes from the same set of barrels:

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 14, 2017

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Same mashbill, same barrel stock. Main difference is that Eagle Rare is aged at least ten years, which is pretty substantial for a bourbon. In theory, they also pick superior barrels that fit within the ER flavor profile.

If you run into ER store picks I highly recommend giving one a try. The one I tried was $30 w/ immensely oily feel and strong apple flavor on top of the usual caramel backbone, finished it off in two weeks.

I have an Eagle Rare store pick that tastes almost exactly like a proofed down GTS

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Where in Boston are you staying? There are a couple of good whiskey shops right downtown, and a bunch outside of the city.

Would you mind posting your favorites? I'm in Boston and outside of total wine I don't really have a shop I like.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Horn posted:

Would you mind posting your favorites? I'm in Boston and outside of total wine I don't really have a shop I like.

Total Wine's prices are going to be hard to beat but for selection there are a few niche shops

In the city: Gordon's or Federal
South: Norfolk (biggest whisky selection in New England) or Yankee (good prices)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

At least even the worst bourbon and rye whiskies mix decently with pop. That's the excuse I give myself to buy new bottles.

God no. Drown them in ice and add a splash of water, even the worst whiskeys i've ever tried taste better with enough dilution.

Pop just adds in that extra special burp in the middle of the night as your heartburn kicks in.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I was just in Trader Joe's, and saw Paul John whisky, from Goa, India. Has anyone tasted their Brilliance and Edited bottlings?

Here's the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_John_(whisky)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:stare: local store has Aberlour 12 at $99.99 for some inexplicable reason. For reference, that's about $30 over what their price for Balvenie 12 Doublewood and Macallan 12

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Jim Beam Double Oaked was on sale so I picked up a bottle. I'm not a big fan of Beam products but it smells terrific. It's definitely Beam, heavy on the vanilla, very sweet. Will post more after spending some time with it.