Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Argh, I promised to wait until my daughter was back from work so we could listen together!!@!@!@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Argh, I promised to wait until my daughter was back from work so we could listen together!!@!@!@

That's really nice to read. :) Sorry she's ruining your life with the waiting but I love that this is a family thing for y'all!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I can't wait for lovely nerds to be shits about Lup's gender

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm really trying to like this episode but it's entirely exposition with barely any character interaction whatsoever and it's a really, really tough listen.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm really trying to like this episode but it's entirely exposition with barely any character interaction whatsoever and it's a really, really tough listen.

I do feel like the goofs per minute have slowed as the storyline peaks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

poor life choice posted:

I do feel like the goofs per minute have slowed as the storyline peaks.

It's not even goofs, there's almost no direct interaction, it's literally just Tres Horny Boys describing their actions as Griffin unloads exposition on them.

Like the press conference is BY FAR the most direct actual character work this episode has. It's really really boring otherwise.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
This episode is good and I'm fine with the focus shifting away from combat and dnd-rear end dnd stuff

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

An arc designed around a persona style social link/calendar system has a slow start where the characters have little control??? what kind of madness is this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah just finished this episode and I'm getting bad CK callbacks of Griffin just flatly telling the group what's happening as the trio just wait around for the story to happen around them. Worse, there's virtually no dialog or direct interactions either.

Zaggitz posted:

An arc designed around a persona style social link/calendar system has a slow start where the characters have little control??? what kind of madness is this.

One this is an insanely disingenuous to outright false comparison, and two persona has been (rightly) derided for its insanely slow starts. And
in either case you get direct character interactions and character building at a far more regular pace in Personas 3, 4, or 5 than here.

I don't think Taako literally said one word this entire episode. At all.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 13, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Look, Atlus took away all my Personer 5 LPs, ok? If I can't turn to Griffin to make TAZ into the only legal P5 LP then what are we even doing here?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

hey toxx happy birthday to your big fuckoff homestuck post

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Griffin: i'm doing something different for this arc using a system i came up with mostly on my own because it better supports what i want to do for this story

Nerds: wtf is this poo poo gimme my dice rolls

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I never mentioned dice rolls. In fact, I'm glad that this arc is eliminating the probable-worst part of TAZ (dice rolling and combat). Super not excited this is, yet again, an arc where the main characters get sidelined in favor of watching the story happen around them, considering how badly Crystal Kingdom turned out as a direct result of sidelining the main characters so Griffin could exposit at them.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
crystal kingdom was good tho, just long

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Legs Benedict posted:

in fact, all of taz is very good

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mikeycp posted:

in fact, all of taz is very good

Controversial

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I never mentioned dice rolls. In fact, I'm glad that this arc is eliminating the probable-worst part of TAZ (dice rolling and combat). Super not excited this is, yet again, an arc where the main characters get sidelined in favor of watching the story happen around them, considering how badly Crystal Kingdom turned out as a direct result of sidelining the main characters so Griffin could exposit at them.

I don't recall the MCs being sidelined at all in CK. When did that happen? Are you talking about the "The other characters do cool poo poo, what do you do?" stuff?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Legs Benedict posted:

I don't agree and outside of the Hodgedpodge eps, which are admittedly probably the best episodes of the series outside of the lunar interlude where Taako cons Garfield (both of which, I must note, rely entirely on character work and interaction over exposition/ Griffin telling everyone else things), I skip the entirety of the CK arc in relistens.

SpacePig posted:

I don't recall the MCs being sidelined at all in CK. When did that happen? Are you talking about the "The other characters do cool poo poo, what do you do?" stuff?

There's literally two entire episodes wherein Lucas or the Lich basically stops the story and exposits at them. It's the most blatantly authored thing in TAZ and completely disrupts the flow of the show. There's also very little direct influence or specific player agency the three main characters have, since they're sheparded from room to room with very little direct control beyond whether or not they fight something.

Again, Hodgepodge is the direct counterpoint to how railroaded the mains are in CK because it finally gives them the chance to approach a situation without either 1) fighting or 2) watching it play out with little direct input and it throws into stark relief how poor CK is when it's just Griffin explaining what they do/what's going on.

Another good counterpoint is how the best arc of the series (Rockport) is Griffin just giving a playroom for the three mains to gently caress around in with really weird and memorable characters to interact with, with an overall goal (solve the murder mystery) being this loose goal. Rockport's the best because it gives the most character flexibility and agency and focuses almost entirely on character interaction over story. The second best arc (Eleventh Hour) follows much the same route of giving Tres Horny Boys a vague endgoal and a bunch of different tools to achieve it, but loses slightly because nobody they directly interact with is as memorable or interesting as Jess/Jenkins/Angus or even Graham and Hudson.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 13, 2017

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The second best arc (Eleventh Hour) follows much the same route of giving Tres Horny Boys a vague endgoal and a bunch of different tools to achieve it, but loses slightly because nobody they directly interact with is as memorable or interesting as Jess/Jenkins/Angus or even Graham and Hudson.

What?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i can see that. captain word salad seems to have a lot of thoughts on the matter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
occupation doesn't like roswell, lame

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

so I donated to MaxFun this year and am making my way through bonus content

and man was I ever not prepared for Big Gulp on my drive to work this morning. I don't gonk often but :gonk:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For about 3/4ths of Big Gulp I was just like "wow, this is weird but it's actually a really cool comedic concept, they're pretending this is episode #68 or something of a fictional podcast devoted to serious discussion of vore media, and Griffin and Travis are like, arguing about it like it's the most important thing on Earth, and Justin's thing as a straight-man 'guest' is a really nice touch"

and then for the last quarter of it I was p much paralyzed by horror and it's a miracle I did not crash my car

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

so I donated to MaxFun this year and am making my way through bonus content

and man was I ever not prepared for Big Gulp on my drive to work this morning. I don't gonk often but :gonk:

to be fair no one ever could be prepared for Big Gulp even Griffin blindsided himself with it somehow

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That was pretty good. The GPM (Goofs per minute) was certainly lower than usual, but it was less of an exposition dump and more just straight-laced roleplaying, which is okay considering how much story they have to get through here.

Yeah, why doens't Griffin introduce more interesting and memorable characters like Fomtor and Bimmy Tim?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Make sure to check out the Big Gulp vids!

Maybe :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDGsI0z2oY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_EhzYOCUfw&t=175s

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DURMBUM

FRENCHALOR!

PINSKIDAN

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I'll forgive a bit of expositionish stuff this episode because we're starting for what all intents and purposes is an entirely new story.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd really rather not watch those, the audio alone left me with lifelong scars

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Can't wait for some fresh fanart for everyone's favorite new character, Naim Nayme from Pub Liccacion

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

Can't wait for some fresh fanart for everyone's favorite new character, Naim Nayme from Pub Liccacion

that joke made me laugh but also get mad because I couldn't believe how NOT game Griffin was for the bit.

Clint was killing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite "griffin is not in the mood for this bit" bit is still "the train crashes and you all die"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

this episode rapidly advanced my theory that the director is garfield the deals warlock in disguise

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2017

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

IMO I'm optimistic but cautious about this story and mini-game. It seems like a cross between Persona (Social Links name-dropped) and the Yawhg? I'd like a little more in-character interaction, but that's tough when four of the seven major players all going to be Griffin. He might have bitten off more than he can chew.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Lup is more Taako than Taako. I would've expected Justin to do the mikedrop cause it seems the Taako thing to do

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

El Padrino posted:

Lup is more Taako than Taako. I would've expected Justin to do the mikedrop cause it seems the Taako thing to do

I think a full 66% of the reason for Lup's existence is so that Griffin gets to "borrow" the Taako character.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

El Padrino posted:

I was kind of worried that Griffin wouldn't be able to do it like Justin does it considering that Justin has had years to hone his skill, but Griffin wiped out that fear in about 45 seconds.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't agree and outside of the Hodgedpodge eps, which are admittedly probably the best episodes of the series outside of the lunar interlude where Taako cons Garfield (both of which, I must note, rely entirely on character work and interaction over exposition/ Griffin telling everyone else things), I skip the entirety of the CK arc in relistens.

There's literally two entire episodes wherein Lucas or the Lich basically stops the story and exposits at them. It's the most blatantly authored thing in TAZ and completely disrupts the flow of the show. There's also very little direct influence or specific player agency the three main characters have, since they're sheparded from room to room with very little direct control beyond whether or not they fight something.

Again, Hodgepodge is the direct counterpoint to how railroaded the mains are in CK because it finally gives them the chance to approach a situation without either 1) fighting or 2) watching it play out with little direct input and it throws into stark relief how poor CK is when it's just Griffin explaining what they do/what's going on.

Another good counterpoint is how the best arc of the series (Rockport) is Griffin just giving a playroom for the three mains to gently caress around in with really weird and memorable characters to interact with, with an overall goal (solve the murder mystery) being this loose goal. Rockport's the best because it gives the most character flexibility and agency and focuses almost entirely on character interaction over story. The second best arc (Eleventh Hour) follows much the same route of giving Tres Horny Boys a vague endgoal and a bunch of different tools to achieve it, but loses slightly because nobody they directly interact with is as memorable or interesting as Jess/Jenkins/Angus or even Graham and Hudson.

You do know that the arcs that you personally prefer aren't therefore the "best" ones, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress ALL THIS

CARBOYS IS TERRIFYING TODAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKB2TXLegQ

Talk about The Hunger of All Living Things

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

thexerox123 posted:

You do know that the arcs that you personally prefer aren't therefore the "best" ones, right?

Oh that's just toxxupation, he's fine. just let him do his toxxupation thing every now and again :beerpal: