Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

kimcicle posted:

You need to have only one light controlled by the vacancy sensor in a bathroom. So the vacancy sensor connected lights do the lights above the vanity, then have a separate on/off switch for a light in the shower. If you're in the shower too long, the bathroom lights will turn off but your shower light will still be on.

Ah ok that sounds more reasonable

xwing posted:

Well... who's building new stuff that this code is being enforced with? Not the poors.

This is the purpose of most california zoning law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

kimcicle posted:

You need to have only one light controlled by the vacancy sensor in a bathroom. So the vacancy sensor connected lights do the lights above the vanity, then have a separate on/off switch for a light in the shower. If you're in the shower too long, the bathroom lights will turn off but your shower light will still be on.

ugh you're ruining my ability to rage against the oppressive regime of environmentally-mindful building codes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't that make the requirement even dumber then? What's the point of mandating that one light gets turned off with a vacancy sensor if the end result is that people who want to work around it will just install more lights?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Snak posted:

Doesn't that make the requirement even dumber then? What's the point of mandating that one light gets turned off with a vacancy sensor if the end result is that people who want to work around it will just install more lights?

I suppose the majority of bathrooms seldom have more than one light maybe?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The codes include stuff like that so that even the cut-every-corner, all-the-workers-are-on-meth McMansion tract construction companies are installing LEDs and vacancy sensors. It means that entities that have absolutely no self-interest-incentive to install power-saving devices will do so.

Taxing power consumption wouldn't do poo poo in those cases. People living in apartment blocks and cheap housing (as in, millions of Californians) would just be eating the higher cost of electricity because they either wouldn't be able to afford to swap out all the electrical in their new house, or they flat-out wouldn't be allowed to because they're renting. The state is more aggressive than just taxing power because taxing power wouldn't accomplish jack poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The codes include stuff like that so that even the cut-every-corner, all-the-workers-are-on-meth McMansion tract construction companies are installing LEDs and vacancy sensors. It means that entities that have absolutely no self-interest-incentive to install power-saving devices will do so.

Taxing power consumption wouldn't do poo poo in those cases. People living in apartment blocks and cheap housing (as in, millions of Californians) would just be eating the higher cost of electricity. The state is more aggressive than just taxing power because taxing power wouldn't accomplish jack poo poo.

Okay, that does make sense.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I suppose the majority of bathrooms seldom have more than one light maybe?

Most main bathrooms also have more than zero bathtubs, but everyone's different, y'know?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Taxing power consumption wouldn't do poo poo in those cases. People living in apartment blocks and cheap housing (as in, millions of Californians) would just be eating the higher cost of electricity because they either wouldn't be able to afford to swap out all the electrical in their new house, or they flat-out wouldn't be allowed to because they're renting. The state is more aggressive than just taxing power because taxing power wouldn't accomplish jack poo poo.

man, this was way more aggressive and goony than it needed to be. time to log off the web site

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Snak posted:

You won't be turning on the bath light or other secondary lights and accidentally leave them on every time you step in to take a piss, grab something out of the medicine cabinet, etc. I think the intention is that the primary light is the one on the vacancy sensor.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bad Munki posted:

Actually, making GBS threads for more than five minutes is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

oh gently caress you for reminding me of this crazy lady who returned a shredder because an insert in the box said "The materials used are known in the state of California to cause cancer." I couldn't convince her that ALL of them had that, and that it didn't mean anything because it was so broadly applied.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

brugroffil posted:

You won't be turning on the bath light or other secondary lights and accidentally leave them on every time you step in to take a piss, grab something out of the medicine cabinet, etc. I think the intention is that the primary light is the one on the vacancy sensor.

Jeez is this that hard to understand? I mean my wife/daughter use a vanity that has 10 lights on the bar. They leave it on all the time. All day. I put in a sensor. Solved. Training them was not working and took more effort. No code req at all, just makes sense

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My predatory former roommate/landlady let her dad be the general contractor on her house, which is a Crappy Construction Tale in its own right, but his brilliant plan was to put motion sensor -- not vacancy sensor -- switches in every bathroom, the laundry room, and the kitchen. Nothing like getting your retinas seared when you get up to take a 3am piss. Or having the kitchen look like a slo-mo rave when the pets are active at night.

The worst part was that he moved the ensuite bathrooms in both rental bedrooms from one side of the house to the other (tl;not relevant), but didn't want to bother running new ventilation, so he left the tops of the walls open between the top of the door frame and the vaulted ceilings. It looked fairly cool, I'll admit, and gave the bathrooms some much needed natural light.

It also meant if a dust mote bigger than a flea's turd floated past the sensor in the middle of the night, the loving lights would come on and illuminate the whole loving bedroom.

The rent was cheap by normal standards, never mind Portland standards, so I stayed there way longer than I should have. Mistakes were made, but my savings account is okay with it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Jeez is this that hard to understand? I mean my wife/daughter use a vanity that has 10 lights on the bar. They leave it on all the time. All day. I put in a sensor. Solved. Training them was not working and took more effort. No code req at all, just makes sense

Leaving the lights on is one step away from screwing with your thermostat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FogHelmut posted:

That's why you put the thermostat in your man cave, and install a decoy thermostat in the regular location.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

both capital crimes in my copdom. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Snak posted:

Just the tip......

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:hfive: Same thing I thought

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

My predatory former roommate/landlady let her dad be the general contractor on her house, which is a Crappy Construction Tale in its own right, but his brilliant plan was to put motion sensor -- not vacancy sensor -- switches in every bathroom, the laundry room, and the kitchen. Nothing like getting your retinas seared when you get up to take a 3am piss. Or having the kitchen look like a slo-mo rave when the pets are active at night.

The worst part was that he moved the ensuite bathrooms in both rental bedrooms from one side of the house to the other (tl;not relevant), but didn't want to bother running new ventilation, so he left the tops of the walls open between the top of the door frame and the vaulted ceilings. It looked fairly cool, I'll admit, and gave the bathrooms some much needed natural light.

It also meant if a dust mote bigger than a flea's turd floated past the sensor in the middle of the night, the loving lights would come on and illuminate the whole loving bedroom.

The rent was cheap by normal standards, never mind Portland standards, so I stayed there way longer than I should have. Mistakes were made, but my savings account is okay with it.

Oh gently caress my old job had those motion sensor lights in the break room, on about a 1 second timer. So as people walked in and out to clock in/out or grab their snacks the lights would be flipping on/off every few seconds. It was so stupid and I'm sure it burned the lights out quickly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Oh gently caress my old job had those motion sensor lights in the break room, on about a 1 second timer. So as people walked in and out to clock in/out or grab their snacks the lights would be flipping on/off every few seconds. It was so stupid and I'm sure it burned the lights out quickly.

Most of those are configurable with a flat head screwdriver. Pop the cover off and there is a set of dip switches. (For future awful motion sensors.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Munki posted:

That's why you put the thermostat in your man cave, and install a decoy thermostat in the regular location.

There is a sign on the thermostat at work that says "dont touch this if you want to live"

The boss has guns

Nobody touches it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
THE CHEAT! We had that light switch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off. Not so you could change California's housing codes to make them a requirement!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I have all my lights hooked up via the Clapper and they can take that from my cold dead hands you California commies

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Also my dishwasher runs when I cough (bit of a pain during flu season, I'll admit) and when I fart a post is made on these forums

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

Most of today's SA didn't get this reference

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burt Sexual posted:

Most of today's SA didn't get this reference

Is this a dumb Family Guy reference or is it something deeper?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I would also like to know what I am referencing besides some stereotype of what dads yell about in their house.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that the technology to use heat or air conditioning to keep your house within a certain range is too complex to be standard by now.

Get up in the middle of the night because it's 50 degrees in my house, set it to 68. Get up and go to school. Come home to find it's 75.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

this post made me incredibly sad by reminding me Family Guy exists.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

One of my best friends, my partner, and I watched the Grand Designs episode with the hammock tub last night. Thank you for tip, Bred.

Here are some of our comments.

Well, those were definitely some accents that those people have.
Partner: i think that spending 1/10 of your entire building-a-house budget on the bathtub is a LITTLE misguided, but the guy was so earnestly excited, i couldn't fault him.
BFF: It's ridiculous to wear tweed suit jackets at a construction site, esp UNDER YOUR VEST.

Also theres a door that leads outside and does not have a balcony, just a ten foot drop.

It was certainly a house that an architect designed!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Goddamn guys, beatmaster is playing 4th dimensional chess, and we're all about to feel real silly about giving him grief over the tub.

The constant flow of water in his infinity edge tub is intended to keep the motion activated lights from turning off while he's soaking!!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Slugworth posted:

Goddamn guys, beatmaster is playing 4th dimensional chess, and we're all about to feel real silly about giving him grief over the tub.

The constant flow of water in his infinity edge tub is intended to keep the motion activated lights from turning off while he's soaking!!
:aaaaa:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

FogHelmut posted:

I would also like to know what I am referencing besides some stereotype of what dads yell about in their house.

The post about the guy whose wife keeps loving up the thermostat with her halogen lamp, and he keeps fixing it because he loves her.

dest
May 28, 2003

9/9/99
Never Forget
Grimey Drawer
Man OP, you have GOT to stop cutting corners (and floor joists) to save a few pennies:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816693

That Friends & Family PayPal will get you every time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dest posted:

Man OP, you have GOT to stop cutting corners (and floor joists) to save a few pennies:

:allears:

Hmm seems UNSAFE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The wrens on our patio have started some additions to their nest, but they haven't been sleeping there for some reason. I think maybe Mr. Wren (Gus, his wife is Gwen) accidentally cut off the tops of some structural twigs, so now they have to find an engineer who will sign off on it :/

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 13, 2017

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

The wrens on our patio have started some additions to their nest, but they haven't been sleeping there for some reason. I think maybe Mr. Wren (Gus, his wife is Gwen) accidentally cut off the tops of some structural twigs, so now they have to find an engineer who will sign off on it :/

Gwen, more like Gwren

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I learned that this bathroom also needs a

quote:

gift closet

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

dest posted:

OP has a never ending trail of great decision making.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

JB50 posted:

OP has a never ending trail of great decision making.

Lesson learned. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt though. I'm definitely more trusting than not because I believe people will generally do the right thing, especially when they have a history of sales to back them up.

In other news, today I learned another fun California code law that doesn't allow you to have showers that have more than one feature that can be used at the same time.

IE, I intend to have 2 separate shower sides, and each side will have a regular head and a rain head. One of the sides will also have a hand wash head. So according to code, no side can have flow coming out of two heads at the same time. You can switch between them but can't have them mix and pass inspection.

Apparently this is something that some inspectors get lax on, but it's another thing to worry about.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That seems weird and arbitrary. What saving measure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TTerrible posted:

That seems weird and arbitrary. What saving measure?

Water, probably.

FogHelmut posted:

I learned that this bathroom also needs a

I just learned that a "gift closet" is a thing. I thought it was a joke, like where your parents used to hide your Christmas presents. Turns out I was pretty much exactly right, you just hoard stuff in there that you find cheap to give to people later.

• Locked thread