Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is there a mod that makes the ai choose the "way of life" for you? Either the focus or the focus and the choices. I liked the old randomness of ending up with a fuckup or having a gay son actually be a threat to my line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Wow, the plague is brutal. I expected the deaths, sure. But having the taxes for every castle in my entire realm reduced to zero, all levies cut in half, and 25% attrition on armies? If I'd known it was gonna be that bad, I probably would've saved my money instead of blowing it all on last-minute hospital upgrades that ended up accomplishing precisely nothing.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Sure, they accomplished nothing. But they could have accomplished something.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So whats up with the Rebels and Warmongers mod? People have been talking it up in this thread but from what I can see it's been discontinued by a diva modder.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I went carousing with my new heir and some of the court with a lower opinion of him. Almost got in a fistfight with one but (for the first time) got the option to diplomatically talk her down.

It was at this point I realized you probably shouldn't invite your pregnant wife to go drinking.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Demiurge4 posted:

So whats up with the Rebels and Warmongers mod? People have been talking it up in this thread but from what I can see it's been discontinued by a diva modder.

Where are you seeing this? It's still in the Steam Workshop, and the author is still commenting there as of two days ago: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760034792&searchtext=

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Where are you seeing this? It's still in the Steam Workshop, and the author is still commenting there as of two days ago: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760034792&searchtext=

I googled it and read through the Pdox forums thread. I guess that's hella outdated then, thanks.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, I'm starting my first Ironman run after a few trial and error games I played to learn the ropes. I'm gonna play as the petty kingdom of Wessex in the Charlie start. I just had two questions.

1: What's the best direction to expand in? No one has claims, claimants, or female relatives initially, so I'm largely stuck forging claims. Mercia is too powerful to challenge, so I've tried focusing on taking Surrey and Sussex first, then Kent before going for Essex.

2: Demesne limits and unruly vassals usually start crippling me here. My counts hate me because they all desire my duchys, but I can't hold anything else myself. How can I best manage this so I can slap Mercia around to claim enough land to become king of England?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Canemacar posted:

So, I'm starting my first Ironman run after a few trial and error games I played to learn the ropes. I'm gonna play as the petty kingdom of Wessex in the Charlie start. I just had two questions.

1: What's the best direction to expand in? No one has claims, claimants, or female relatives initially, so I'm largely stuck forging claims. Mercia is too powerful to challenge, so I've tried focusing on taking Surrey and Sussex first, then Kent before going for Essex.

2: Demesne limits and unruly vassals usually start crippling me here. My counts hate me because they all desire my duchys, but I can't hold anything else myself. How can I best manage this so I can slap Mercia around to claim enough land to become king of England?

Do you have conclave? If you've got conclave having empowered council and council war declaration will prevent your councillors from forming factions, allowing you to keep at least five of them from rebelling against you. That can give you a decent edge in potential civil wars, and after winning to replace any rebels with dynasty members and poo poo. But otherwise, you just gotta do all you can to keep your vassals happy. It's also wise to make sure you control all the counties in your duchy so that you don't deal with the malus on counts from wanting your duchy. It's also smart to use people with the content trait when it comes to granting titles to new vassals.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been getting back into this pretty heavily and I have a question about how characters work.

Where is my character physically located? Say that I am a king and I hold a kingdom, some counties, and a couple Dutchies. The Plague comes in and starts going after some of those counties, but not all of them. Do I "count" as being in all of those counties, and therefore vulnerable to the plague, or am I only in one location?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Beat up all the 1/2 province guys in Wales and Ireland and grab them as tributaries. They'll give you some extra help in your wars, lots of prestige, and a bit of extra cash. And best of all, they don't give you any infamy so you won't have a giant coalition form against you. That'll make you strong enough to take on Mercia, who starts with a bunch of tributaries himself. Just be careful when attacking the tribes, and make sure they don't have enough prestige to call up tribal warriors.

You start with 4 provinces, and once you get married you have a demesne limit of 4 or 5. If you bump up centralization a notch, you'll get an extra holding. If you take the rulership focus, you'll get an extra holding again. Don't worry about being over the limit by 1 holding, the penalty isn't enough to matter. Whatever you do, don't give away any of your 6-7 core holdings to anyone. If you decide to conquer Cornwall and want to hand off those two provinces, I would personally just hand them off to my primary heir so I re-inherit them when I die. Or give them to a 60-70 year old courtier with no children, so again you inherit them upon his death.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I've been getting back into this pretty heavily and I have a question about how characters work.

Where is my character physically located? Say that I am a king and I hold a kingdom, some counties, and a couple Dutchies. The Plague comes in and starts going after some of those counties, but not all of them. Do I "count" as being in all of those counties, and therefore vulnerable to the plague, or am I only in one location?
You're in just the one location, and I think if you mouseover your character it'll say "At court in Fartsville" or "Leading troops in Bork-Bork Land".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you're attached to an army, you'll be wherever that army is. If you're a councillor and on a council mission, you'll be wherever you've been sent. Otherwise, you'll be in your capital.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you mouse over your character portrait, a tooltip appears with a lot of information, including your current location. You are subject to the modifiers of any province in which you reside (or transit with an army.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My Lord is not one for touring the countryside got it. Thank God, now I don't have to slam the gates every time someone in Wales gets the flu.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My Lord is not one for touring the countryside got it. Thank God, now I don't have to slam the gates every time someone in Wales gets the flu.

But you should anyway so you can become a cannibal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Technowolf posted:

But you should anyway so you can become a cannibal.

Who says I haven't? It even gives you skill bonuses for....Reasons.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

Do you have conclave? If you've got conclave having empowered council and council war declaration will prevent your councillors from forming factions, allowing you to keep at least five of them from rebelling against you. That can give you a decent edge in potential civil wars, and after winning to replace any rebels with dynasty members and poo poo. But otherwise, you just gotta do all you can to keep your vassals happy. It's also wise to make sure you control all the counties in your duchy so that you don't deal with the malus on counts from wanting your duchy. It's also smart to use people with the content trait when it comes to granting titles to new vassals.

I do have Conclave, though I've been trying my best to keep absolute power. I suppose I should give a little​ and empower the council enough to keep them from factioning.

But if I capture all the counties in a duchy, should I deliberately not usurp the Duke title if i can't keep it in my demesne to keep from getting the malus? At least until I can form a kingdom level title?

binge crotching posted:

Beat up all the 1/2 province guys in Wales and Ireland and grab them as tributaries. They'll give you some extra help in your wars, lots of prestige, and a bit of extra cash. And best of all, they don't give you any infamy so you won't have a giant coalition form against you. That'll make you strong enough to take on Mercia, who starts with a bunch of tributaries himself. Just be careful when attacking the tribes, and make sure they don't have enough prestige to call up tribal warriors.

You start with 4 provinces, and once you get married you have a demesne limit of 4 or 5. If you bump up centralization a notch, you'll get an extra holding. If you take the rulership focus, you'll get an extra holding again. Don't worry about being over the limit by 1 holding, the penalty isn't enough to matter. Whatever you do, don't give away any of your 6-7 core holdings to anyone. If you decide to conquer Cornwall and want to hand off those two provinces, I would personally just hand them off to my primary heir so I re-inherit them when I die. Or give them to a 60-70 year old courtier with no children, so again you inherit them upon his death.

How do you declare a tributary war? I can't seem to find that CB.

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013
You need Horse Lords to make tributaries.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Oh. Well, I'm not that interested in playing horse nomads, so I'll probably just do without tributaries.

Follow up question. Do you want to build and own baronies in each county of you capital duchy, or just the capital itself? Only the capital county gains bonuses?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Oh. Well, I'm not that interested in playing horse nomads, so I'll probably just do without tributaries.

Follow up question. Do you want to build and own baronies in each county of you capital duchy, or just the capital itself? Only the capital county gains bonuses?

You generally want to build as many baronies in one county as possible rather than spreading them out, because councillor missions like Collect Taxes and Train Troops have a big effect on all holdings in a single county, so you want to pack your holdings into a single county so that you can maximize the effect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's 784 and some 14 year old Greek kid just arrived at the head of the Sunset Invasion.

:allears:

e; holy loving christ he just came of age and has 42 intrigue

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

You generally want to build as many baronies in one county as possible rather than spreading them out, because councillor missions like Collect Taxes and Train Troops have a big effect on all holdings in a single county, so you want to pack your holdings into a single county so that you can maximize the effect.

Follow up question. Is it generally better to have a single duchy with multiple holdings or two duchys with no extras? My strategy is to start as Wessex, but beeline for Middlesex to make it my capital since it has more holding spots and starts with two baronies. After that I'm not sure if I should try to hold both Wessex and Essex, or just keep Essex and build it up while handing Wessex off to a distant branch of the family.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Follow up question. Is it generally better to have a single duchy with multiple holdings or two duchys with no extras? My strategy is to start as Wessex, but beeline for Middlesex to make it my capital since it has more holding spots and starts with two baronies. After that I'm not sure if I should try to hold both Wessex and Essex, or just keep Essex and build it up while handing Wessex off to a distant branch of the family.

Generally, it depends on your situation. Building up new holdings is expensive, so as a duke you're probably better off holding as many counties as you can rather than blowing all your money on new castles. As you progress, generally your demense limit will grow, so you should be able to hold more counties.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Canemacar posted:

It depends on what kind of duchies you have available for you. You usually want to have total ownership of controlled duchies if you have more than one (to avoid the "desires control of the duchy" opinion penalty from counts in your non-capital duchy - counts in your capital duchy won't get the opinion penalty but you get the best taxes and levies from counties in your capital duchy so you still want to control them personally), so if you don't have quite enough demense space to completely control two duchies, it's better to just build up one. If you are aiming to control multiple holdings per county then it's also best to try to get as many as possible into a single county rather than spreading them around, since if you use your steward or marshal there to collect taxes/train troops the bonus will apply to every holding in the county. Usually the ideal is to get a capital county with 5 or 6 holding slots, fill the empty ones with castles after the required city/temple holdings, and then build cities to fill in the holdings in the rest of your demense.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Edit: Never mind, I'm dumb.

Contingency Plan fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 14, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Canemacar posted:

If you're an independent duke or petty king you probably want both duchies, controlling another title of the same rank as your primary title gives you +1 personal demesne so you should be able to reliably control both.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Buschmaki posted:

If you're an independent duke or petty king you probably want both duchies, controlling another title of the same rank as your primary title gives you +1 personal demesne so you should be able to reliably control both.

Whaaaat. I'm hundreds of hours in and didn't notice this.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Thanks for the advice. I've been following this thread for a couple weeks now and it did more than anything else to sell me on the game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm a bit over 250 years old and a while ago I got lunatic. It's fun, but I don't want it forever, one can only howl at the moon so many times and I've already got my obligatory screenshot of granting glitterhoof immortality. I'm not in any rush, but is there a surefire way to remove lunatic? I think I recall a way that will turn it into possessed, but I don't want that. Are there any pitfalls when lunatic, like if I focus intrigue will I become very paranoid or something like that?

I've also had the great pox for ~50 years and it's annoying. I had TB and cancer for roughly 100 years contiguously so I was looking forward to some sunny days, anything I can do about that other than a health focus or experimental treatments? I think I had a dog from hunting when I spent 75 years chasing the white stag, so that's out.

Finally, I married a princess of Germany and before she passed away we had a daughter. The German Kingdom is agnatic primogeniture, but if all the men die, it'll allow the women to inherit right? Can I stab my way to my daughter inheriting the throne? If I do, and she dies childless with no others of her family still alive, will I inherit? It's been so long since I've played I can't recall all the succession rules.

e: oh, the Fraticelli pope keeps declaring a crusade for Italy because I took Italy from them 150 years ago, but he doesn't have any holdings (or troops) and there are no other Fraticelli, how can I get him to stop?

Chakan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 14, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like Lunatic because it's easy to pair it with cannibal via closing the gates during an epidemic. I've had rulers get some good traits from eating tons of people. Also if I remember right there's no opinion penalty or piety loss from it so you can revoke a dude's title after a rebellion then fuckin' eat him. Of course being a lunatic cannibal makes people hate you on its own so I generally don't go that route unless I wanna clean house when it comes to vassals.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 14, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

Finally, I married a princess of Germany and before she passed away we had a daughter. The German Kingdom is agnatic primogeniture, but if all the men die, it'll allow the women to inherit right? Can I stab my way to my daughter inheriting the throne? If I do, and she dies childless with no others of her family still alive, will I inherit? It's been so long since I've played I can't recall all the succession rules.

I don't think women can ever inherit normally in Agnatic, but I believe you can press their claims and put them on the throne by force. Once she's Queen, it probably won't go to you if she dies heirless (probably to her mother's brothers or their kids) but it might if you're her liege. Not 100% on this one though.

quote:

e: oh, the Fraticelli pope keeps declaring a crusade for Italy because I took Italy from them 150 years ago, but he doesn't have any holdings (or troops) and there are no other Fraticelli, how can I get him to stop?

I thought the Fraticelli pope could only call crusades if he was installed in Rome?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Whaaaat. I'm hundreds of hours in and didn't notice this.

It's only for Dukes with more than one duchy, you become a Great Duke and you get a x2 multiplier to your base demesne size.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I recently became king of England and switched over to Primogeniture. Since then every single male heir I have had has died under mysterious circumstances before they hit age ten. Maybe it was a mistake to put so many people with an intrigue education focus...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I recently became king of England and switched over to Primogeniture. Since then every single male heir I have had has died under mysterious circumstances before they hit age ten. Maybe it was a mistake to put so many people with an intrigue education focus...

No way. Thunderdome is the best style of succession. Only the strong survive!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't think women can ever inherit normally in Agnatic, but I believe you can press their claims and put them on the throne by force. Once she's Queen, it probably won't go to you if she dies heirless (probably to her mother's brothers or their kids) but it might if you're her liege. Not 100% on this one though.

Ah! I am not quite being clear, this entire family crest is dying under suspicious circumstances. It will switch to Female-inherit once all the men are dead, right?

quote:

I thought the Fraticelli pope could only call crusades if he was installed in Rome?

He was, but I took Italy, then Rome and the title is sticking around, but he has no land and the only Fraticelli I can find is a man on an island by Italy who converted to Catholicism when I warred to depose him, then shortly thereafter was Fraticelli after a brief stint as Waldensian.

e: I was branded "the cruel" for having the trait, two hundred years ago. I spent centuries trying to be a good person, and now that I have lunatic, I'm indulging a little.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 14, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

Ah! I am not quite being clear, this entire family crest is dying under suspicious circumstances. It will switch to Female-inherit once all the men are dead, right?
I don't know, actually. It might start looking at women, but it also might start giving titles to unrelated vassals. I'm just spitballing, though, I still think your best shot is to raise the banners and seize her crown the old-fashioned way. Serves them right for being sexist dickheads.

EDIT: Huh, apparently you can only press a woman's claim on an Agnatic title if you personally are the woman in question. TIL. :shrug:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you have family only inheritance it will default to the only remaining heir, regardless of gender, in my experiences.

E. I'm liking Conclave so far, despite the poor reviews it got on steam. Education was always kind of obtuse so having a clearer path to things is nice, and it's great being able to just straight up buy off people for law changes if you are rich enough. The only thing that seems bad is that your direct wards tend to get less random events, compared to your heir emerging from childhood with a stack of positive traits.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 14, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chakan posted:

I'm pretty sure it won't - if your inheritance laws only let men inherit and your dynasty runs out of men, I'm pretty sure you just get a Game Over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a way to set the irish province names back to the dirty anglo versions? I basically can't read the gaelic ones and it's harder to keep straight what is going on where.

• Locked thread