Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Well that beach scene was cringe as gently caress, thank god for Yusuke coming in and saving the day with his lobsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mad Wack posted:

(I have to choose my words carefully)

(I'm already in a special relationship with someone else...)

->Begin Trial by Burger

:perfect:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Something that just dawned on me. At the start of the game sojiro says the only reason he's taking a goddamned criminal shitbag like you in is because he got paid. But there's a quiz later on that explains probation officer is 100% volunteer based and they don't get paid, and it's a bit before sojiro is revealed to actually be a cool guy.

That's p cool writing, unless the implication is supposed to be that he got paid under the table.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I think maxing out the Priestess S-Link on the Romance Path should trigger an additional scene.

"And then I slept with your baby sister. Choke on that, Ms. Prosecutor!"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nopantsjack posted:

Well that beach scene was cringe as gently caress, thank god for Yusuke coming in and saving the day with his lobsters.

LuiCypher posted:

we're all gay for yusuke

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Palace 7 may be the first one I leave prematurely because I have player fatigue

I still have 2 IDs left and I'm so sick of rat halls

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lakbay posted:

There's a special scene if you date more than one waifu yes

beaten

It should be a bad end condition if you romance all of them, because when they all gang up on they literally murder the poo poo out of you because there's so many of them. Sojiro is forced to stay quiet, or else they TRIAL OF THE DRAGON his rear end too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

darealkooky posted:

Something that just dawned on me. At the start of the game sojiro says the only reason he's taking a goddamned criminal shitbag like you in is because he got paid. But there's a quiz later on that explains probation officer is 100% volunteer based and they don't get paid, and it's a bit before sojiro is revealed to actually be a cool guy.

That's p cool writing, unless the implication is supposed to be that he got paid under the table.

It ties in with his whole character which is how he gives a poo poo even though he pretends not to. like how you start off thinking he's this sleezy womanizer who keeps ditching you to go hook up with randos. And then you find out about Futaba and literally all those conversations make sense as him hiding how he's taking care of his near catatonic shutin stepdaughter and it explains why he took you in

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
loving lmao that atlus thinks my nine girlfriends coming over to beat me up is a downside

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

loving lmao that atlus thinks my nine girlfriends coming over to beat me up is a downside

That's my dream.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

There's a lot of stuff like that to show that Sojiro is actually a very cool and good dude. Like, how his advice to Joker is to always lay low, keep quiet, and not interfere with anything that doesn't involve you, but Sojiro himself sticks his neck out for a kid he has absolutely no relationship with even though he's got his own problems to deal with. The game doesn't really try to hide that Sojiro is the best.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's going to be real hard to top best persona dad next time around so I hope they won't try to.

Maybe it's time for a persona mom? :getin:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Moltrey posted:

What do you think he tells Sae whenever you get a new girlfriend?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"So is there any law about people on probation leaving the country?"
"No"

Okay well it made sense until you jerks brought it up.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

With a mc persona mom maybe they'll be able to write a good empress story for once

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

With a mc persona mom maybe they'll be able to write a good empress story for once

Haru is good :colbert:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Zore posted:

Haru is good :colbert:

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haru should've been introduced a month or two earlier.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah. She's even in that random summer cutscene, just... introduce her then.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zore posted:

She starts showing up in the loading screen people before then too

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Zore posted:

I'm still not sure what the point of her showing up in that cutscene was other than to... acknowledge that she exists??? Maybe I'm forgetting something, but it seems rather odd in hindsight.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I like the Haru, but her social link is pretty generic and I think they should have given her a better unique ability than the gardening. Those are my views, thanks

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think my least favorite thing about the game so far is the change they made to ambushes where it doesn't give you a free round and just makes you go first. I got wiped once because ambushed a Nue, he used the MT dark damage spell at the end of the round doing 110 damage to my team with around 200 hp. Then the next round started and he went first and used it again, wiping everyone.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like the Haru, but her social link is pretty generic and I think they should have given her a better unique ability than the gardening. Those are my views, thanks

She's a coffee girl.

She makes coffee. Just like you.

She is your soul mate.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dude789 posted:

I think my least favorite thing about the game so far is the change they made to ambushes where it doesn't give you a free round and just makes you go first. I got wiped once because ambushed a Nue, he used the MT dark damage spell at the end of the round doing 110 damage to my team with around 200 hp. Then the next round started and he went first and used it again, wiping everyone.

I swear to god there's either some kind of bugs with the turn order or enemies with bizarre speed/turn-related properties, I once had an enemy who normally goes once take THREE TURNS IN A ROW at the end of an ambush round without critting anybody :iiam:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Supremezero posted:

She's a coffee girl.

She makes coffee. Just like you.

She is your soul mate.

My soul mate is the girl I had come to my house and make coffee and curry for me every night for three months straight for no pay, actually

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hilariously this game manages to be even more nonsensical than the previous two regarding getting away with dating multiple people until Valentine's. Mainly due to the little issue that Futaba tapped into your cell phone and is reading everything, and she never stops even after joining the team.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Do you only get the mega stat bonus for beating the last Big Bang Burger the one time, or does it just become the best thing to do?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Do you only get the mega stat bonus for beating the last Big Bang Burger the one time, or does it just become the best thing to do?

You only get the mega bonus once, but you get a bunch of Guts each time you re-do it and also 10 mini-burgs or something that heal a decent amount.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just finished Ann's social link, and I'm not actually sure what the point of any of that was but then I was distracted by how much of a prick rival modal lady was and how we never really address that.

Also is there a single awakened persona that's design is a step up from the original?

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

just got her today, gonna keep her until endgame.

Joker, Morgana, Haru and Makoto I think is probably the strongest party. Maybe if you replaced Haru with Ryuji in boss fights you can increase damage per turn, but Ryuji is a bit broken in that sense.

The best party members in these games always get introduced last.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Just summoned Satanael and shot the Demiurge in the face with the seven sins. A good final boss fight. (And not hours long like Nyx, which is always appreciated.)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Caidin posted:

I just finished Ann's social link, and I'm not actually sure what the point of any of that was but then I was distracted by how much of a prick rival modal lady was and how we never really address that.

Also is there a single awakened persona that's design is a step up from the original?

*puts on flame retardant suit*

I like Futaba's evolved persona better

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Caidin posted:

Uh, Morgana's is I guess? Totally different aesthetics but the upgrade is good. Maaaaaybe Futaba?

Makoto's is the worst though. Her persona just goes into robot mode like its a motorcycle transformer and she doesn't ride it any more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tradechop posted:

just got her today, gonna keep her until endgame.

Joker, Morgana, Haru and Makoto I think is probably the strongest party. Maybe if you replaced Haru with Ryuji in boss fights you can increase damage per turn, but Ryuji is a bit broken in that sense.

The best party members in these games always get introduced last.

I think Joker Haru Ryuji and Makoto are the strongest party. There are not many enemies that survive a triple down and a swift strike and Makoto is the most versatile party member in the game, who can do whatever you need her to.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Gonna repeat my post about Ann in endgame

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Sun and Temperance are the two bonds that are time limited. Sun shouldn't have disappeared yet at that point but he will soon.

Also people earlier in the thread were dissing Ann saying they've kept her in the bench for most the game which is surreal to me. She would've earned a permanent spot in the team just by having the all powerful attack down but she's also the only party member with concentrate. It's easy to get amp on personas but not as easy to fuse boost along with amp on end game personas unless you've been planning on it from the start and Ann with the boost, amp and concentrate just makes things melt. My Ann is built with
Agi
Heavy fire aoe
Severe fire
Concentrate
Attack down aoe
Fire boost
Fire amp
Evade ice

My endgame team is basically Ann, Ryuji and Makoto. I wish I could run Haru but she is really lacking at the end. She doesn't get the severe psi skill so her psi falls off. Her best build is a gun build with both gun passives but unlike Ryuji and Yusuke she has much lower hp and unlike male armors the best female armor gives +5 mag instead of str. Reflect skills like most healing skills are completely useless because you can buy a cheap item to replicate the same effect and money shouldn't be a problem by the end.

With free sp refills in the last dungeon and the fact that Ann got the severe aoe version instead of single target means she beats the crap out of trash fights and boss fights

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just think melee damage is better for most bosses and enemies so Ann falls behind for me. I had her in for a chunk of the palace 7 boss though and she was basically putting out about as much damage as Ryuji, just with less survivability. So she's not bad by any means.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like Ryuji's awakened Persona, Captain Kidd was cool but so is punk rock Monkey King

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zore posted:

Uh, Morgana's is I guess? Totally different aesthetics but the upgrade is good. Maaaaaybe Futaba?

Makoto's is the worst though. Her persona just goes into robot mode like its a motorcycle transformer and she doesn't ride it any more.

Prometheus is okay, but I feel like calling yourselves phantom thieves is a bit sarcastic when your support cruises around in a small sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just think melee damage is better for most bosses and enemies so Ann falls behind for me. I had her in for a chunk of the palace 7 boss though and she was basically putting out about as much damage as Ryuji, just with less survivability. So she's not bad by any means.
The game did a good job of making all characters viable right to the end, I think. I took Makoto, Haru and Ann into the final dungeon because I have no shame, and that worked out fine.

Really the only constant is that any best team has Makoto on it.