Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

house of leaves is alright, but its a good horror story buried in wanky academia, and also the Faulknerian stream of consciousness pretensions of the lamest tattoo artist dropout character ever written

I suppose I always thought the reader was supposed to find Johnny lame as gently caress. If that's not the case, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

every time someone asks me how i think my life would be different if the internet didn't exist, i say that i would probably be significantly happier in almost every way possible

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I suppose I always thought the reader was supposed to find Johnny lame as gently caress. If that's not the case, well.

lol nope, danielewski thinks JT is the poo poo

pretend i went and found the video where he's doing a dramatic reading of one of johnnies creepy sex scenes while his sister plays music she wrote about his book in the background and posted it here

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

There's a certain kind of person who takes any advice as "angry condemnation" and boy oh boy is it exhausting.

You mean, "toddlers"?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[NV]Got in an accident & pulled over to exchange info. The other guy came at me really aggressive/intimidating (I'm female) and I panicked and took off before exchanging info. I received a $900 ticket

quote:

The accident was just clipping the back of his car while trying to switch lanes because he came to an abrupt stop. I talked to a detective afterwards and he believes me that I did not have any intention for a hit and run.

I also have to go to traffic school ($130) to get a point taken off. I'm assuming that is not really negotiable.

Is it worth going to court to reduce the ticket or should I just accept it and pay? Even if I do have something to contest, will the overall fees come out to more than the current $1k that I'm going to have to pay? Thank you!

"I mean I could go explain what happened and show that I reported this to the police, but then I'd have to actually go to the court and ughhh maybe I should just pay the thousand dollars"

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
(I'm female)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I have some insight into the traffic ticket process, and generally, "I'm guilty but I really really didn't mean to do it." is not a good defense.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can understand being afraid of aggressive men, but when you cause the accident, you kind of have to deal with it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

WampaLord posted:

I can understand being afraid of aggressive men, but when you cause the accident, you kind of have to deal with it.

More specifically it's the charge for leaving the accident scene she's trying to get out of, which since she felt threatened she has a good chance if she bothers to show up

OP posted:

One citation was 484B.127 (driving too close). Other one was 484E.020 (duty to stop at scene of crash)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Liqour store turning a blind eye

OP posted:

So here's the situation, I lost my debit and ID card at the same place and so I look at my bank account statement and see I've been charged $90.00 USD and cancel the card, the banks reimbursing me but I see the money was all spent at one liquor store so I go to the liquor store and ask them about it and they say a homeless lady the see all the time came in and bought a bunch of stuff, so in my eyes the liquor store knew this lady was homeless and knew there's no way in hell she could get a bank to give her a card and decided to run the debit card as a credit card multiple times without checking ID. My question is, can I sue the liquor store for this?

quote:

If the bank is giving you back all the money you lost, then No. You have no damages. . .

You could report them to whomever runs liquor licenses, they may or may not care. You could also try to find the owner, and inform them

OP posted:

So basically blackmail the liquor store? A license costs 10 grand in California, if this homeless lady bought cigs or alcohol then I may have a case

quote:

No. Do not blackmail them. That's illegal.

OP posted:

I filed a police report, the lady goes to my moms church on the weekends when we feed the homeless, hoping to catch her there

:stare: Dude you got your money back and filed a police report, let it go

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

In fairness, traffic accidents/tickets are this weird intersection between mildly stressful event, commonplace occurrence, and things a person only deals with a handful of times in their lives so you get alot of funny or interesting human reactions.

Something about the stress of the situation causes people to get really dug in on specific details or beliefs. I can't tell you the number of times a person has said to me, as adamantly as they can, "there is no way I [___________], I couldn't have, its not possible." And not in a lovely way, just their brain has really loving ingrained that reconstruction of events. Pull up the video, and they're like, "Oh, drat, really?"

Either that, or they've sort of rationalized the reason that, "Even though I broke the law, I shouldn't get a ticket because [___________]." and it just makes so much sense to them, they can't really understand why the specific issue they had doesn't matter. Those are the ones who get really mad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

No, I have to ruin this homeless person even more, to the point where I may actually be improving their quality of life.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Danaru posted:

"A homeless lady got $90 in booze on my bank's dime, how do I avenge them?"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Your life has got to really be poo poo if you're absolutely compelled to stick it to a bum over $90.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Your life has got to really be poo poo if you're absolutely compelled to stick it to a bum over $90.

These people are why we have President Trump.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

These people are why we have President Trump.

thats a 3rd of them. The other 3rd didn't show up to the polls, and the last third thinks Mexican Muslims are Coming Across the Border to Hack your Emails for Terrorism Global Warming Science to Take Away Guns .

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The perfect time to Stone-Cold Stunner this homeless person and get my cancelled bank card back is at a church charity soup kitchen to feed the homeless :colbert: Just like Big JC would do

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

every time someone asks me how i think my life would be different if the internet didn't exist, i say that i would probably be significantly happier in almost every way possible

my life has only been made better by the internet. I can keep in touch with friends who have moved across the country, and interact with them on a daily basis if i wish. I have met friends on the internet that have become real life friends, and i get to play dope video games. All this is in addition to my regular, normal circle of friends and family and its just an added bonus on top of it.

if the internet is nothing but lovely for you, thats your fault.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What subreddit is that from and is it recent enough thati can still go make fun of the OP?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my life has only been made better by the internet. I can keep in touch with friends who have moved across the country, and interact with them on a daily basis if i wish. I have met friends on the internet that have become real life friends, and i get to play dope video games. All this is in addition to my regular, normal circle of friends and family and its just an added bonus on top of it.

if the internet is nothing but lovely for you, thats your fault.

Phones also did this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lol nope, danielewski thinks JT is the poo poo

pretend i went and found the video where he's doing a dramatic reading of one of johnnies creepy sex scenes while his sister plays music she wrote about his book in the background and posted it here

That's hilarious, because he always came out like an absolute loser to me. I guess I'll go death of the author on that account.

Still, I really liked House of Leaves for doing something different to most books I've read, but I am also into literature passing for academic text, so....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

blarzgh posted:

thats a 3rd of them. The other 3rd didn't show up to the polls, and the last third thinks Mexican Muslims are Coming Across the Border to Hack your Emails for Terrorism Global Warming Science to Take Away Guns .

Seriously why would you unironically post about this here argbhasd???

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ZearothK posted:

That's hilarious, because he always came out like an absolute loser to me. I guess I'll go death of the author on that account.

Still, I really liked House of Leaves for doing something different to most books I've read, but I am also into literature passing for academic text, so....

i mean, i enjoy DFW's books so me too, but i recognize that it makes me insufferable and i dont blame anyone who doesnt wanna engage with that

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ZearothK posted:

Seconded on all counts.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

p... politics bait?

e: gently caress, wait

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
here's that dumb, dumb dramatic reading/song written by his sister, which again, he uses as a soundtrack to narrate his weird sex fantasies

his sister seems really invested in his whole mythology too, its very odd

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
My [22M] gf [21F] drained our joint account to pay her tuition

quote:

I have been dating my gf since we were in high school, about 7 years. We both just graduated and are moving to another far away city for her to start graduate school. She found a great deal on student housing so we are moving in to an apartment in a student housing complex near her campus. She is the only person on the lease, I'm technically not supposed to live there since I'm not a student.
Before we moved she started talking about thinking about our wedding. I got all excited--I had been wanting for us to talk about getting married for years. Earlier in college I had tried to talk about it and she said it was too soon, and that once there is a ring on her finger we can discuss it. She also wouldn't tell people that we planned on getting married--just that we were dating and didn't have any plans of breaking up anytime soon. This really upset me because I though that we had been dating long enough to justify telling people we were getting married.
A couple years ago I was going through a bit of a financial rough patch. Her family has always been supportive of me when my family has not. They gave me a job and have provided me with many of the things I need. I was recently on my own and scared about money, so I asked her if she wanted to merge together our bank accounts so that we both had financial security (I still had a job at the time). She said no, her parent's probably wouldn't approve of it, which I understood so I let it go.
We just moved in to our new apartment. She's working 80 hours a week until school starts to save money, and I just got a new job here. She asked if we could merge accounts to make paying bills and such easier, and I agreed. We merged accounts and I immediately transferred all my money to the account. She said she had set up her direct deposit from her jobs so that they would deposit into our shared account.
I checked the account earlier today and all my money is gone, with the exception of a few odd dollars. I immediately called my gf and asked where the money had gone and she said that she had used it to make a payment for her grad tuition.
I am in shock. I have no other money of my own, regardless of whether i stay or leave.
tl;dr: Girlfriend used all of my money to pay her tuition

I think my chief complaint is that he thinks you can tell people you're getting married whilst not being engaged. The quotes are good on this one:

quote:

did she say when she intended to pay you back?
No. She said that she's supported me for a long time, and that now she needs support too.

quote:

Then I would ask how she plans on replinishing what she spent on her tuition.
She said she's not going to. That her tuition counts as "our bills" since we want to get married.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey, HEY. Poe is a LOVELY human being and you WILL NOT insult her via proxy. She played a set at my hometown and we got boneless bbq wings after and she helped me chase down varmints in a jeep. ALSO her label hosed her over in the HUGEST way and a predatory lawyer jackass in her life loaned her a bunch of money and stole her music so only after A LITERAL DECADE has she started making music again.

Don't be mean or you'll scare her off.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hey, HEY. Poe is a LOVELY human being and you WILL NOT insult her via proxy. She played a set at my hometown and we got boneless bbq wings after and she helped me chase down varmints in a jeep. ALSO her label hosed her over in the HUGEST way and a predatory lawyer jackass in her life loaned her a bunch of money and stole her music so only after A LITERAL DECADE has she started making music again.

Don't be mean or you'll scare her off.

does poe post here :ohdear: sorry poe, you have a nice voice, but your brother's books could use a good editor

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Milotic posted:

I think my chief complaint is that he thinks you can tell people you're getting married whilst not being engaged. The quotes are good on this one:

Sounds like he's getting what he wanted re:marriage

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: Oh gently caress there was another page sorry.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 13, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Impotent Nerd Rage, sorry!!!

edit: I also don't know if argbhasd is some DND all-star, a portmanteau of my sn, or just a bunch of letters

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 13, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Ah, yes. I guess I'd forgotten about that, probably for my own benefit re: my interpretation of the text. Then again, maybe it shouldn't factor in anyway. I don't remember thinking JT was completely talentless [as a writer] - just a tiresome douche.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Ah, yes. I guess I'd forgotten about that, probably for my own benefit re: my interpretation of the text. Then again, maybe it shouldn't factor in anyway. I don't remember thinking JT was completely talentless [as a writer] - just a tiresome douche.

its more that if you are already writing a nested recursive horror story in the form of ergodic literature, maybe you've already got enough in there that you don't need to flex your "edgy modern faulkner" ideas in that same book

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Johnny Truant = Johnny Fiveaces? :tinfoil:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

You aren't going to get an argument from me on that one, DQoA.

burial fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 13, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

They shoulda obviously talked about it first but I mean if he wants to be married to her at the end of the day that's kind of the conclusion they shoulda come to anyways.

Tho honestly my policy on grad school is if they aren't paying your tuition + ta/ra stipend to live it's prolly not worth doin. Any grad degree worth having from a school worth going to should be funded by the school.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
My [21M] girlfriend [22F] of 3 years made some really mean-spirited comments towards my advisory role at my Uncle's strip club and now I'm rethinking everything.

quote:

Currently, I study economics and math, and the industrial organization/managerial aspect of microeconomics was always something that intrigued me, as it would have the most practical impacts for business related decision making.

I come from a rather wealthy background, my father manages a private equity fund, and my mom works as lawyer. The same goes for my uncle (father’s brother), who is an entrepreneur who has started a lot of different successful business ventures. Neither of them really have to work, as our family has a lot of multigenerational wealth, but it has been a tradition in our family to make more money than your predecessor and leave the family’s wealth greater than when you started off.

One of my uncle’s recent projects has been a strip club. Performance has been decent, but upon review I felt that things could be run more efficiently. I needed some practical experience outside of the internships at BB investment banks that I’ve done over the summer so I asked my uncle if I could serve in an advisory role at his strip club in between my classes. My uncle was glad that I was taking an interest in one of his business ventures and gladly agreed.

I immediately got to work on making the club as efficient as possible. I created a rudimentary model that adequately conformed with the empirical research regarding human sexuality and strip club behavior. We recorded data and performed randomized control trials to ascertain optimal stripper characteristics (bust size, waist to hip ratio, bmi, etc). We were able to come up with a formula for worthwhile strippers based upon the revealed preferences of male consumers. We also looked into the venues of marketing for us to pursue.

Through these and other measures, profits in addition to metrics of overall customer satisfaction underwent significant improvements. I must say this whole thing was a load of fun, it felt just like trading stock options or commodities, except the commodity in this case was women.

I’ve been telling my girlfriend just how successful our project has been, and I thought that she would be a supportive SO, but some recent comments she has made make me feel like she isn’t really filling that role. She said that she was uncomfortable with this whole thing because, “She knows the kind of crap that goes on at strip clubs”, “I’m contributing to the culture of objectification and toxic male sexuality”, and how I’m “having naked women parading around me”.

I really thought that she would be supportive of me given how much I enjoyed working, and how I was so excited about this opportunity. Now I feel disheartened and somewhat hurt. Is she wrong for not supporting me here? Is this indicative of a larger pattern, one that I should perhaps consider breaking things off for? The two of us had talked about getting engaged once we were out of college and settled into our careers, but now I’m rethinking everything based upon how cold she acted towards my interests/pursuits.

tl;dr: Girlfriend wasn't supportive of me pursuing an advisory role at my Uncle's strip club and now I'm rethinking our relationship.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Esoteric Scientist posted:

My [21M] girlfriend [22F] of 3 years made some really mean-spirited comments towards my advisory role at my Uncle's strip club and now I'm rethinking everything.

I can't even read this self fellating poo poo, she should def break up with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It feels like a troll post, but at the same time Id like to see his data.

He needs a different lady friend for both their sakes.