Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's the 19 year old who I thought sucked.

Even as a kid. My dad would tell me to stop being "an Anakin" if I whined to him about anything. It was a running joke in our house.

did you cut off his head with a light sword then slaughter some kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he was pretty good. He is a white boy trying to exhude teen angst, withholding of emotion, and do it in the same speech pattern of James Earl Jones, with pretty flat dialogue. I think he does a decent job.

For me the weak parts in the acting realm were mostly the digital performances.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, it's hard to remember but RDJ had a rocky past, Favreau was good but was still the "Swingers guy", and Iron Man was not the kind of superhero you made a huge movie around. It was by no means a "sure thing"

Wasn't Iron Man one of the third string Avengers until the movie blew the doors off?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

"I HATE YOU DAD!"

"Okay Anakin."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Strobe posted:

Wasn't Iron Man one of the third string Avengers until the movie blew the doors off?

Iron Man was always one of the "Big Three" of the Avengers with Cap and Thor but like he wasn't a big Marvel solo character the way they were or characters like Spider-Man or Hulk.

In general I think Marvel's a little more team orientated (Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four) and I always saw Iron Man as an Avenger first and foremost. Which explains why they started this whole Avengers journey with him but also explains why people (myself included) were really shaky about the idea of him carrying his own film to start this whole thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Toady posted:

I didn't grow up with Star Wars, so I didn't have much interest in seeing them until the Special Editions came out. I still consider myself a casual fan. If something wasn't a part of your childhood, it can be difficult to relate to people who consider it a shared life experience that you're so strange for not enjoying.

Along the same lines, I had a good time watching the Star Wars prequels in theaters and didn't know they were so terrible until the Internet said so.

The only people croaking about "my childhood" at this point are the people who are making this up whole-cloth as the reason people don't like the prequels. I suppose if you are a deranged wiki editor you don't recognize the flaws in the original Star Wars, but that's not anyone here and not even most people who enjoy Star Wars.

The only people I see here advocating and jealously protecting perfection as a concept in movies are people who happen to like the prequels, actually. Hence supremely tortured sentiments like "People only concluded these movies were bad when they discussed them! Checkmate star-tards!" You've become the very people you profess to hate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Marvel was close to Bankrupcy in the late 2000's before DIsney bought them? I knew they had issues in the 90s but I figured they were doing well with Marvel studios and it's other multimedia ventures before the buyout.

It was bankrupt in the late 90s (or close to it) after the great Comics craze in the mid 90s. Marvel got under it by licensing and letting entertainment companies use their IP.

They weren't in the shitter in the mid 2000s, but the MCU was still somewhat a big gamble in exploiting the IP they had left after the success of the X-Men and Spider-man flicks.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Josh Brolin is...fine, I guess. Any situation where there was the possibility of Michael Shannon that resulted in no Michael Shannon is a failure though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

parallelodad posted:

A ten year old didn't put in an Oscar worthy performance, what a crock.

The kid anikin doesn't even cross mymind - that would be like saying McCauley Caulkin was bad in Home Alone. They're just kids. I was speaking towards every adult actor like Portman and Christianson and McGregor and them all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Even as a kid. My dad would tell me to stop being "an Anakin" if I whined to him about anything. It was a running joke in our house.

Anakin is a whiny dick and I think its legitimate to ask why the character was written that way, but I don't think there's any reason to just chalk it up to bad acting. Portman's character is annoying in similar ways and most people would agree she's a talented actress.

^^^^And Mcgregor? His performance is widely regarded as one of the best of anyone in the prequels, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Just younglings.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Anakin is a whiny dick and I think its legitimate to ask why the character was written that way, but I don't think there's any reason to just chalk it up to bad acting. Portman's character is annoying in similar ways and most people would agree she's a talented actress.

"acting" is a catch all to describe the dismal output on screen. You can be a great actor with a lovely part and be extremely unenjoyable and unbelievable and whatnot. Or you can also just be so uninspired with what you've been given that you can't help but deliver poo poo on screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

"acting" is a catch all to describe the dismal output on screen. You can be a great actor with a lovely part and be extremely unenjoyable and unbelievable and whatnot. Or you can also just be so uninspired with what you've been given that you can't help but deliver poo poo on screen.

I've never heard anyone define the term "acting" in that way before. If that's what you mean why not just say that the characters are all terribly written?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I've never heard anyone define the term "acting" in that way before. If that's what you mean why not just say that the characters are all terribly written?

Because they are woodenly portrayed, too. DO you blame the writer or the actor for not making an interesting portrayal?

What's up on the screen is just not good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly Watchmen is getting an R-Rated animation

quote:

A recent survey by Warner Bros. “A-List Community” program, which regularly asks subscribers for their opinions on upcoming or recent film and television projects, has revealed the studio is bringing the graphic novel to animated form.

Reading the survey’s description of the project as “an upcoming made-for-video movie,” it’s apparent the film is already either in development, or in the final stages of production.

The survey further describes the film as “A faithful adaptation of the Watchmen graphic novel executed in an animation style that mirrors the source material.” Going by that description, it’s safe to assume Warner Bros. Animation has opted to take a similar approach to the comic as it did when bringing Frank Miller’s “Dark Knight Returns” and Moore and Brian Bolland’s “The Killing Joke” to life; both of those films homaged the respective artist’s style, making changes as needed to properly animate the story.

http://www.cbr.com/watchmen-r-rated-animated-movie/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

Personally I think the Director Cut is as good as is gonna get.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah....no. I enjoy DC's animated stuff on Netflix but it's because they tell stories too small to really work a feature film around. The downside is the animation: it's a special kind of garbage. The most offensive mix of half assed CGI and 8fps animation possible. Some movies are better animated than others but nothing really stands out as good. It's always soemthing you need to forgive, or look past, because you're interested in seeing the story play out.

Except...you have the feature film. And if you don't like that you have the actual graphic novel, the real source. Where does this animated thing even fit in? Because it absolutely won't look good enough to make people choose it over Snyder's film, and it absolutely won't be as fleshed out a the graphic novel, despite the PR blurb. Why even bother?

Burkion posted:

How they handled the Killing Joke belies what a god awful mess this is going to turn out to be.
This right here. Killing Joke should have been some sort of magnum opus, like a new standard for their Made for Streaming animated content. But it looked like less than dog poo poo, it was a visual abomination. Absolutely none of it was enjoyable to watch.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How they handled the Killing Joke belies what a god awful mess this is going to turn out to be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Burkion posted:

Killing Joke was so bad it made the original material seem really stupid, which maybe it was.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

They should do the pirate stuff as live-action then

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Nose posted:

Nah, stop motion claymation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sir Nose posted:

They should do the pirate stuff as a live-action deconstruction of pirate movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dont even fink about it posted:

Killing Joke was so bad it made the original material seem really stupid, which maybe it was.

The worst things about the Killing Joke aren't even things that HAPPENED in the Killing Joke.

Barbra being paralyzed? Not in the Killing Joke. That was a complication thrown in after- they never clearly said she would definitely be paralyzed in the story. You could easily have just had her recover because it's goddamn comic books.

Never mind that it wasn't meant to be canon to the main line. DC threw it in anyways.

The book is excellently paced, with beautiful art, I think either version of it in fact. Modern one with new coloring, or the original with its trippy style. It's the best Joker Batman story, and has the only ending the two could ever hope to get. Sharing a laugh at a bad joke, reflecting on their own status as comic characters who have no control over their own fates.

The animation takes that, rubs out all of the personality, makes Batman schizophrenic, and completely fucks the pacing sideways. And then takes all of the Barbra stuff and makes it a million times worse.

So expect to see every thing that could be possibly problematic with Watchmen made EVEN WORSE by talentless hacks who don't know what the gently caress they're doing or what symbolism in a story means!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

And Mcgregor? His performance is widely regarded as one of the best of anyone in the prequels, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

This is both true and not saying much at all. Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid stand out, not really because their performances are good, but because they both seem to realize what kind of films they're in and give it the full ham and cheese treatment. Especially McDiarmid after his Sidious reveal. That's basically a panto show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Barbara being paralyzed? Not in the Killing Joke. That was a complication thrown in after- they never clearly said she would definitely be paralyzed in the story. You could easily have just had her recover because it's goddamn comic books.

Is in the story actually

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She COULD be in a wheel chair.

In the DC universe. Where literally half of the people Bruce knows are super geniuses that could fix a problem like that super easy, even if she couldn't overcome it herself. The only reason they kept her in a wheel chair was because the higher ups wanted her there.

And irregardless- it still wasn't meant to be in canon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Some day, somewhere, somehow, someone other than Alan Moore will be able to admit that parts of The Killing Joke suck rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no, what happened with Barbra is terrible.

In the story? The same thing or worse happens to her father, besides being shot. So I never had an issue with that in particular. The actual story doesn't have too much going on in it, plot wise, because it's more about the meta narrative. The Joker seeing beyond the veil to what he and Batman really are, which Batman realizes by the end, but they're unable to do anything about it. There's a lot of backlash against it exactly because of what happened to Barbra after, and how that has shaped her entire existence ever since, as well there should be.

There's also a lot of baseless backlash against it because it was made by Alan Moore, who people like to drum up stupid poo poo to try and discredit him with and also apply that to anything he ever wrote. I am particularly resistant to that, because it happens all the drat time. See, Zack Snyder, who gets derided as an awful director when that's one of the things he's really drat good at doing.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's the 19 year old who I thought sucked.

At least you can admit that you don't like a character because he is too relatable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Josh Brolin is...fine, I guess. Any situation where there was the possibility of Michael Shannon that resulted in no Michael Shannon is a failure though

Yeah, you should never let anyone know Michael Shannon is even a possibility until he's locked down. Anyone else ends up being a disappointment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

The acting didn't clue you in at all?

Let's be honest with ourselves: if anyone here was half as sensitive to bad acting as we all like to claim, there would be like 2 people in this thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, you should never let anyone know Michael Shannon is even a possibility until he's locked down. Anyone else ends up being a disappointment.

Shannon would make a great Green Goblin but I don't think anyone's real interested in more another Osbourne story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Shannon would make a great Green Goblin but I don't think anyone's real interested in more another Osbourne story.

I don't know, it'd be nice to have Green Goblin again as the villain.

He was only in the first Spider-Man movie after all, he's due to come back.

Be pretty hard to top the one from Maximum Overdrive though

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposedly Watchmen is getting an R-Rated animation

http://www.cbr.com/watchmen-r-rated-animated-movie/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

Personally I think the Director Cut is as good as is gonna get.

Personaly I bet it's going to be directed by Jay Oliva and it's going to suck like everything else he's ever done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How come Zod died of a broken neck but Superman didn't die from a hole in the chest from a kryptonite infused bone?

Length of exposure to solar radiation?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well Superman did die.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

I don't know, it'd be nice to have Green Goblin again as the villain.

He was only in the first Spider-Man movie after all, he's due to come back.

Be pretty hard to top the one from Maximum Overdrive though

Wasn't the Green Goblin in the last Spider-Man movie?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Drifter posted:

How come Zod died of a broken neck but Superman didn't die from a hole in the chest from a kryptonite infused bone?

Length of exposure to solar radiation?

Dude. He died so hard they had to have two funerals. Did you not even watch the movie?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

parallelodad posted:

Well Superman did die.
Well we also don't know how he comes back/gets resurrected, right...nobody wanted anything for Zod other than dissection
How'd Superman come back from the dead in the comic books? Solar power? Does it just...happen?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Well we also don't know how he comes back/gets resurrected, right...nobody wanted anything for Zod other than dissection
How'd Superman come back from the dead in the comic books? Solar power? Does it just...happen?

I'm sure Zod has been killed and resurrected multiple times in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Punkin Spunkin posted:

A regeneration matrix, and then a death beam passed through a cloud of kryptonite reversing it's polarity and giving him his powers back.

• Locked thread