Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://www.facebook.com/indycar/videos/10154386806960848/

Press conference from Texas testing. The video starts just as Will Power is asked about Alonso, heh. Also comments from drivers about turn 1 and 2 being different.

ed-Alonso Alonso Alonso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Odd note on racecontrol:

quote:

Commentary: Please give feedback about continuing this run for the last half or not and/or alternative aero? Please get feedback to Bill/Tino/Rocket or via IM

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ha, thats a note that goes to the teams. They were doing some series aero testing for the race in that last stint (the full fuel, heavy traffic run)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I feel very amazed at how good of a guy Stef was to give up that seat.

That...is not an easy thing to do. I'm actually a legit fan of the guy before all of this? Now. Wow. Goddamn.

How loving special is Indy btw? You have guys like Alonso...a two time world champion...grew up in europe, and that place even rings out as "bucket list" iterm.

Also Miles, Frye and others need to make things as easy possible for McLaren to -re-enter the sport. To get them to have a team would be incredibly huge.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
gently caress having a team get them on board as a second chassis manufacturer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I feel very amazed at how good of a guy Stef was to give up that seat.

Agreed. Reading between the lines on it, I suspect this came with a significant chunk of cash to make funding a 2018 ride much easier.

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress having a team get them on board as a second chassis manufacturer

After the Honda versus Chevy aero kits and the mess that made... eh. Seems like two chassis would just open the doors for costs to skyrocket again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Won't be any chassis or aero competition in IndyCar again until 2021 at the earliest. They are already a spec part supplier on the current car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

McLaren is going to create their own Indy chassis now?

That...doesn't seem...right? I would think Panoz or Swift would be more likely.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren should build an engine instead.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

McLaren makes their own shocks, yeah? I saw a while ago that Andretti uses Ohlins.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I mean honestly in a perfect world? McLaren would be in the series along with the Penske PC-3X, Panoz, etc.

I do hope we do see McLaren on the grid soon. That and Haas running a team (with Tony Stewart) would be really cool to see and I think would help foster more cross overs.

This still goes with my stupid "how to make F1 drivers bigger in the states" theory. Running the biggest open wheel race in the country certainly helps.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

McLaren makes their own shocks, yeah? I saw a while ago that Andretti uses Ohlins.

At least as of 2014 (might have changed by now), all the teams either used Penske or Ohlins shocks. The setups are pretty different. Although both offer full inerters, the Penske uses a ball screw/mechanical design and Ohlin's uses a hydraulic design. But every full time team in the paddock (including Coyne!) now makes their own internals for those dampers, and thats where the real secret sauce is. There is a totally open box for the damper development, so what goes inside those housings is fiercely guarded stuff. Since its the same deal in F1 with teams designing their own internals, It wouldn't surprise me at all if IndyCar teams are already buying information and sharing designs with teams like McLaren.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished Long Beach (I missed it Sunday). Great Result, makes up for last year's snoozefest. I did not expect a Coyne or SPM win this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pretty interesting tidbit from the Pruett/Miller podcast is that in addition to Juncos, Carlin, MSR, McLaren, and Hargrove (who purchased 2 brand new Dallaras) looking at full time programs next year, Wayne Taylor Racing had a hush-hush meeting with IndyCar at Long Beach, probably for running Ricky next year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/139574-podcast-the-week-in-indycar-news-april-13

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having visions of 26-28 car grids again...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Pretty interesting tidbit from the Pruett/Miller podcast is that in addition to Juncos, Carlin, MSR, McLaren, and Hargrove (who purchased 2 brand new Dallaras) looking at full time programs next year, Wayne Taylor Racing had a hush-hush meeting with IndyCar at Long Beach, probably for running Ricky next year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/139574-podcast-the-week-in-indycar-news-april-13

Stefan Wilson really is a hero for all of this. I can't imagine being in the position he was in. He's fighting for a seat in the Indy 500 and a full Indycar ride, but still understands that the short-term pain of not racing in the 500 this year to let Alonso take his place may pay off more in the long run for being in the good graces of the series and future opportunities. They said that at the minimum, Wilson wants to be a Townsend Bell kind of guy, someone who would contend at Indy every year but not do much else. He deserves more after this gesture.

Indycar is coming up on a critical point. All of these owners are showing interest, but if there are still only Honda and Chevy and they can't stretch anymore to accommodate them, there will be problems. Good problems to have, but problems that really need to be solved if Indycar really wants to take advantage of the Alonso bump past Indy and this season.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Are we all excited as gently caress about what's happening here? When was the last time there was this much excitement and buzz around Indycar? Mansell, for sure. But anything like this between then and now? Reunification I guess?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Does Stefan have the chops for Indycar full time though?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Are we all excited as gently caress about what's happening here? When was the last time there was this much excitement and buzz around Indycar? Mansell, for sure. But anything like this between then and now? Reunification I guess?

Hyping my loving balls off over here. :woop:

WindyMan posted:

Indycar is coming up on a critical point. All of these owners are showing interest, but if there are still only Honda and Chevy and they can't stretch anymore to accommodate them, there will be problems. Good problems to have, but problems that really need to be solved if Indycar really wants to take advantage of the Alonso bump past Indy and this season.

As long as the third manufacturer isn't another Lotus situation. I still think the series utterly butchered that one. They could've just let them crank the boost to at least make a safe speed, and/or let HVM actually switch off of it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Does Stefan have the chops for Indycar full time though?

I look at this the other way around. If Indycar grow to a point where not-great-but-competent drivers, like a Stefan Wilson, have legitimate opportunities with a mid-pack or lower-budget team--because there are more mid-pack and lower-budget teams filling an expanded field--then we're golden. After KV folded and Coyne landed Bourdais, there aren't really any field-filler teams anymore. If we want this...

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm having visions of 26-28 car grids again...

...then we need one or two teams, 2-4 cars, that give a chance for decent drivers with money an opportunity to race a full or partial season schedule outside of Indy. (If NASCAR didn't have this class of team/driver, they'd be lucky have have 30 cars each week.)

Stefan clearly understands that potentially missing out on Indy this year could lead to a scenario where the health of a series more quickly improves to the point where more rides become available during the regular season in the future. He doesn't give up his seat to Alonso unless he feels like he would be in the running for one of these seats, like he was with Coyne before this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm just hopeful we add a car or two next year, and maybe an engine manufacturer and another car or two in 2019. That would be as high as I would dare get my hopes up.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

That sounds realistic. A 24-car grid would be fantastic. Anything past that is gravy.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

WindyMan posted:

I want to say Fontana 2013 had a little excitement because of how tough that race was, and there was that small buzz bump after Fontana 2015, but nothing really major since reunification. Maybe Lotus initially raised eyebrows?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tying the aerokits to engine manufacturers I probably the biggest thing stopping another engine supplier from jumping in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hyping my loving balls off over here. :woop:

As long as the third manufacturer isn't another Lotus situation. I still think the series utterly butchered that one. They could've just let them crank the boost to at least make a safe speed, and/or let HVM actually switch off of it.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/760116208985370624

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/760116323670224896

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/760118085177241600

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/852245818639880193

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/852560220211617793

Yo. Toyota, Ford, FCA, Mercedes even. .

McLaren is looking to join the series. Alonso is running the "500" this year. The attention globally hasn't been this big since the early to mid 90's. I'm having convos in worst thread with people actually wanting to WATCH this race. The only assholes who aren't interested in this are idiots that post at crapwagon, trackforum, and smackedforum. That's it.

The "people aren't interested in the Indianapolis 500" excuse is no longer viable. Badge the Cosworth and get in on this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Isn't running an Indycar programme like the same cost as GP2 but with more seat time? It'd kinda make sense for McLaren to just run Indycar for their junior drivers instead of putting them through the balls expensive European open wheel ladder.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I briefly glanced at trackforum yesterday, and the majority of posters seemed pretty thrilled with Nando running the 500 this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Tying the aerokits to engine manufacturers I probably the biggest thing stopping another engine supplier from jumping in.

Yeah, but they're ditching them after this year, so now is the time.

1500quidporsche posted:

Isn't running an Indycar programme like the same cost as GP2 but with more seat time? It'd kinda make sense for McLaren to just run Indycar for their junior drivers instead of putting them through the balls expensive European open wheel ladder.

I think so? It also gives points towards Super Licenses, and winning the championship does qualify you for one.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Well yeah and this why I always felt Haas running an IndyCar team would also be a good call.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

I briefly glanced at trackforum yesterday, and the majority of posters seemed pretty thrilled with Nando running the 500 this year.

Yeah pre-nando there was a few wankers talking about how "bad" the IndyCar "product" was, etc. They furiously masturbate to the fact that IndyCar has low ratings (ignoring the fact that historically that's always been the case).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think I remember hearing once that a full season of Indycar is about 1/10th the cost of a full F1 season so I think it might actually be cheaper than GP2.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

It's actually cheaper.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
And considering the 2017 F1 cars, probably better for developing drivers. They are very physical to drive. This is a slippery slope though; Indycar is a Tier 1 racing series so I'm not sure Miles et. al want to position it as an F1 feeder series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pruett mentions in the podcast that an IndyCar ride starts at about $6m, with the series kicking in a million off the top. Interestingly, a DPi program is apparently about $5.5m/car, which is a lot more than I expected. I imagine the 24/12 hour races add a mountain of costs.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The golden time to get a 3rd OEM was like a year and a half ago, too bad they were too busy with aero kits then. Right now the market has a pretty negative outlook.

I don't think Lambo is going to go, why would they care about racing against Chevy & Honda? Toyota is mashing money into facilities and restructuring now, plus this seems like it'd have to be a rebadge for time sake which isn't their style. I think it would work for Alfa but who knows the political dynamic between them and FCA-US. Also the negative market is really bad for them.

I don't really understand the necessity of a 3rd OEM is honestly, series is pretty good as is and IndyCar seems sensitive to parity arguments anyway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't really understand the necessity of a 3rd OEM is honestly, series is pretty good as is and IndyCar seems sensitive to parity arguments anyway.

Prestige and Month of May motors. It sounds like the two companies bring anybody with engineering experience in to support their teams during '500' season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A third builder would likely help car counts, and bring more bucks into the series in advertising, track spending, all that. Also might make things a bit more fun and diverse, although the team parity has been really fun so far this year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

A third builder would likely help car counts, and bring more bucks into the series in advertising, track spending, all that. Also might make things a bit more fun and diverse, although the team parity has been really fun so far this year.

I mean hypothetically...let's say, Toyota goes "gently caress it" and wants to compete with Chevy across all of :911: auto racing. (I'm including a hypothetical IMSA team in this scenario)

Toyota always seems willing to advertise it's auto racing activities, sponsor races and just overall promote whatever form of the sport they're in. This even predates their IndyCar involvement in the 90's as they were even looking to sponsor races at the Glen and such.

(This is strictly hypothetical as I imagine angling a Toyota return would prove difficult).

harperdc posted:

Prestige and Month of May motors. It sounds like the two companies bring anybody with engineering experience in to support their teams during '500' season.

Yeah, this.

I don't know...I want bump day to come back pretty bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bring in mazda and let them run rotary engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

bring in mazda and let them run rotary engines

I'm all for IndyCars sounding like screaming chainsaws

• Locked thread