Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The closest anything like that's ever happened is tech villains selling equipment to other villains. I think almost every single genius villain has someone point out how much good they could do with their intellect if they weren't crazy assholes at one point, and it's always met with a variation of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roth posted:

That kind of happened in 52. I think as part of the Black Adam plot?

I remember that, but they were still working for a supervillain or doing something evil, weren't they? I don't quite remember the resolution of that plot. I'm thinking more like full-on good guys, just with their goal as doing good and doing well at the same time.

Lurdiak posted:

The closest anything like that's ever happened is tech villains selling equipment to other villains. I think almost every single genius villain has someone point out how much good they could do with their intellect if they weren't crazy assholes at one point, and it's always met with a variation of:

I always see that panel pop up on Twitter. It's from that Kalan guy's book, right? Is the whole thing comedic, and is it good?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, if I remember right they created some new suoervillains named after the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and had them ruin Bkack Adam's life for some reason.

I always felt that was the weakest plot of 52, but at least it had Dr. Sivana carve up a turkey with a chainsaw while laughing maniacally.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I always see that panel pop up on Twitter. It's from that Kalan guy's book, right? Is the whole thing comedic, and is it good?

It's from Spider-Man and the X-Men and yes it's a great book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like they're Nazis but just don't hate the jews because that would be problematic for Cap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Sounds like they're Nazis but just don't hate the jews because that would be problematic for Cap.

No they're Nazis but they SHOULDNT be Nazis because mumble

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Can we make sure Ardian Syaf wasn't solicited as one of the artists on this?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Aphrodite posted:

Like the modern white supremacists who are all "Wait a minute. We can team up with Israel to kill Muslims!" I say this as a Jew myself btw.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X-O posted:

The MCU is largely where Hydra and Nazis are indistinguishable. In the comics Hydra goes all the way back to ancient Egypt and has been a foe of SHIELD since then
I can tell you didn't manage to make it to the later series of Agents of SHIELD. You lucky bastard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I can tell you didn't manage to make it to the later series of Agents of SHIELD. You lucky bastard.

You mean the recent series with Deathlok and all? I didn't finish it. Did the retcon something in that?

Or do you mean the show? Because that really doesn't have anything to do with the movies and hasn't for a long time. Hydra there was revealed to be centuries old but it ultimately doesn't matter outside the narrative of that show. Also that was a pretty great storyline last season.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Marvel needs to take a mulligan on a lot of the stuff they've done recently. The next event should establish that Nightmare has been giving everyone nightmares for the past few years, so a lot of the Marvel characters have been kinda sleep deprived. Of course Beast wouldn't normally risk destroying time to make Cyclops feel bad or strand Noh Varr on a planet to die, he had been awake for days before he did that stuff. Iceman is bi, not gay, Iceman being full gay would be dumb, he was just super out of it when he said that stuff. Thor's Hammer isn't sentient, everybody had been up for 36 hours and heard a car radio and thought it was coming from the hammer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Yeah, if I remember right they created some new suoervillains named after the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and had them ruin Bkack Adam's life for some reason.

I always felt that was the weakest plot of 52, but at least it had Dr. Sivana carve up a turkey with a chainsaw while laughing maniacally.

I thought it was an awesome plot that went in a direction that I didn't really care for. Initially when introduced it was an island filled with mad scientists given the money and resources to do whatever their crazy brains could think of, which is an awesome concept on it's own. Sadly it ended up being fairly generic, though the result of one of the experiments did provide for a truly shocking scene in the comic. Still the idea of an island just filled with mad scientists is really cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X-O posted:

You mean the recent series with Deathlok and all? I didn't finish it. Did the retcon something in that?

Or do you mean the show? Because that really doesn't have anything to do with the movies and hasn't for a long time. Hydra there was revealed to be centuries old but it ultimately doesn't matter outside the narrative of that show. Also that was a pretty great storyline last season.
Yeah I meant the show, which is still MCU even though it's not so closely tied to the movies anymore.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Marvel needs to take a mulligan on a lot of the stuff they've done recently. The next event should establish that Nightmare has been giving everyone nightmares for the past few years, so a lot of the Marvel characters have been kinda sleep deprived. Of course Beast wouldn't normally risk destroying time to make Cyclops feel bad or strand Noh Varr on a planet to die, he had been awake for days before he did that stuff. Iceman is bi, not gay, Iceman being full gay would be dumb, he was just super out of it when he said that stuff. Thor's Hammer isn't sentient, everybody had been up for 36 hours and heard a car radio and thought it was coming from the hammer.
The comic opens on a panel of Captain America holding aloft Mjolnir above the prone bodies of his former fellow heroes, and it pulls back to America, pulls back to the Earth, pulls back to the Solar System, pulls back to the Milky Way, pulls back to the Universe, pulls back to a swirling maelstrom of universes, pulls back to an odd structure surrounding the universe, pulls back and we now see it is the Cosmic Cube, and who is that? It's the Red Skull, staring at the awesome power of the cube in Tales of Suspense #80. The entire history of Marvel since 1959 has been the power-fevered dreams of a deranged Nazi in a rubber mask.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

What

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iceman is gay.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I know, I don't understand how being gay and not bi is somehow dumb?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

He dated a woman in some comic somewhere, therefore

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Young time displaced Iceman was outed, older Iceman has never identified as gay and has dated women. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I sorta understand why others are all "uh, what?"

Doesn't help that just before the outing older Bobby was dating Kitty Pryde.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Iceman will be bi when they merge.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like, I get it, but one of my best friends is a gay man who has dated and had sex with women before so it always weirds me out when people equate dating girls in the past to meaning that person is always going to be into women.

The outing scene was really lovely though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Like, I get it, but one of my best friends is a gay man who has dated and had sex with women before so it always weirds me out when people equate dating girls in the past to meaning that person is always going to be into women.

The outing scene was really lovely though

I just think it's hilarious Bobby and Kitty dated and it's Bobby that was in the closet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roth posted:

For real humans, being gay and not bi is not dumb. It's dumb for Iceman. The dude had a whole story about dealing with prejudice against interracial dating when he was involved with a Japanese woman. Making him full gay kinda fucks with that, because hey, turns out his parents were right, if he had married that woman it would've been unfulfilling and wouldn't have worked out.
Iceman in the movies had that great coming out scene. To turn that into "oh yeah and also literally" is just bad writing
If Iceman was bi, you can still do a really good story about Iceman dealing with the fact that he was repressing a part of himself that his younger self doesn't have to because of the times they grew up in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But that is dumb as gently caress and loses a lot of the impact if you just make him bi.

Also lol that making him gay somehow justifies anti interracial dating. You are reaching hard

Just say you want him bi, don't try and rationalize it or make it the objectively correct choice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

But that is dumb as gently caress and loses a lot of the impact if you just make him bi.

Also lol that making him gay somehow justifies anti interracial dating. You are reaching hard

Just say you want him bi, don't try and rationalize it or make it the objectively correct choice.

Clearly you've never seen the hostility bi people encounter from some parts of they gay community

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Clearly you've never seen the hostility bi people encounter from some parts of they gay community

For example, our very own Three Olives

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I meant for the story being told.

There are problems that bi men face but they are a completely different thing and you just can't switch them without it being lovely writing on its own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who gives a poo poo about impact? Hydra Cap had a lot of impact, that doesn't mean it was good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

Young time displaced Iceman was outed, older Iceman has never identified as gay and has dated women.
Very, very badly. Like, look at this poo poo.

Wolverine and the X-Men 34, after they'd been dating for ten issues and several in-universe weeks, if not over a couple of months. And that was written before they decided he was gay.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How old are Iceman and Kitty now? mid-30s for Iceman and mid-20s for Kitty?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

How dare you, everyone in Marvel is exactly 21 years old forever.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Very, very badly. Like, look at this poo poo.

Wolverine and the X-Men 34, after they'd been dating for ten issues and several in-universe weeks, if not over a couple of months. And that was written before they decided he was gay.

Seems like that's one of those you know, jokes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who gives a poo poo about impact? Hydra Cap had a lot of impact, that doesn't mean it was good.

Stories having points and themes are good.

Hydra Cap so far does not have either of those things.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Lord posted:

Pretty sure Nick Spencer is gonna do some stupid poo poo that's a hamfisted metaphor for all the political nonsense going on in the world today that he thinks is a super, super clever reversal of all the Nazi Cap stuff and he'll be all "Now wasn't that payoff worth it guys?" and everyone will be "gently caress no" and in response Marvel will launch an X-Men Gold/Blue style back to basics meat and potatoes Captain America where he's punching Nazis.

Funny thing is, Captain America did just that for the last two years. Only he was black and that's not good enough apparently.

Skwirl posted:

I just think it's hilarious Bobby and Kitty dated and it's Bobby that was in the closet.

Let's not kid ourselves, both were in the closet then, Bobby just was forced to step out of it.
I wish they just get over it with Kitty too, she has had terrible chemistry with every male romance (aka Peter something-or-other) they put her with.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 14, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm really glad Nick Spencer continues to prove I was right when I kept insisting he's a lovely writer when everyone was loving Superior Foes of Spider-man.

Decius posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, both were in the closet then, Bobby just was forced to step out of it.
I wish they just get over it with Kitty too, she has had terrible chemistry with every male romance (aka Peter something-or-other) they put her with.

That's because the people writing her are all in love with her and can't bring themselves to write her having true chemistry with another man.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

Claremont's gone on record Kitty/Rachel is canon, even if Marvel never did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Claremont's gone on record Kitty/Rachel is canon, even if Marvel never did.

That's all well and good but that's just his fan fiction unless it's in a book someday.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised to learn that Kitty/Rachel was Claremont's (for want of a better word) vision; it's hardly implausible, but based on the comics I've read, I would have said that Kitty and Magik was what he was aiming at. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Iceman is eternally not-quite-30 and Kitty is eternally early-to-mid-20s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know that there's no point in thinking about it, but I do wonder sometimes, like, from Cyclops' point of view, how long ago was it that he was retired and living happily with his wife and child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Iceman is eternally not-quite-30 and Kitty is eternally early-to-mid-20s.

Kitty is kinda Marvel's Dick Grayson in this regard, where they both started as tweens and gradually aged semi-realistically until they hit legal drinking age and stopped.

• Locked thread