Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The manticore shall be known as Fling-Tongue Kavu from here in our.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Mantikavu imho (I'm a ho).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mikujin posted:

So I'm going to assume there will be some day zero errata for Glorious End since, as it stands, the 'lose the game' clause never happens.

The Pact cycle from Lorwyn block work the same way. No errata needed.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheMaestroso posted:

The Pact cycle from Lorwyn block work the same way. No errata needed.
My issue wasn't with the clause; setting up delayed triggers works just fine.

Problem occurred when thinking about resolving the card. Cards don't resolve as a whole, but in order of what's printed on the card: "End the turn" happens before the delayed trigger happens. This means it exiles itself, other spells, etc., and moves directly to cleanup.

Had to do some digging around the actually comp rules to find relevant text for this spell:

Comp. Rules posted:

608.2j If an instant spell, sorcery spell, or ability that can legally resolve leaves the stack once it starts to resolve, it will continue to resolve fully.

It's just written poorly/clunky, when compared to the one other card that has more text than just end the turn (Day's Undoing), which says "Do stuff, then end turn," which reads much more clearly than "End the turn. Do stuff." which - within the rules - would work just as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The card was probably originally worded "During your next end step you lose the game. End the turn. (Reminder text)"

But people kept wondering why they'd play it because people are apparently physically incapable of reading the card.

Fake Edit: I just lost The Game.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PJOmega posted:

Fake Edit: I just lost The Game.

I loving hate you, two years down the tubes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PJOmega posted:

The card was probably originally worded "During your next end step you lose the game. End the turn. (Reminder text)"

But people kept wondering why they'd play it because people are apparently physically incapable of reading the card.

Well it does read dumb. "You lose at the end of turn (which you then do)".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

I loving hate you, two years down the tubes.

I wasn't even aware people still played this.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This is a pretty potent zombie buildaround at common.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I wasn't even aware people still played this.

It will persist as a silly example of memetic promulgation. It's not something anyone "plays."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ShaneB posted:

Wasn't the issue this: The head judge said that cesar was attempting to, during the beginning of combat step, crew his Heart of Kiran and pump it using the welder's ability. This is not a legal play.

So basically it was a targeting issue, NOT the crewing issue? He didn't declare a target at all with the trigger when it went on the stack when he went into combat.

Essentially yeah, he tried to get pointlessly clever and basically ended up playing himself. If a triggered ability has a target, you have to pick a target when it goes on the stack. If you don't, you missed the trigger. (And if there's no triggered ability happening, there's no reason you'd get priority back again in your beginning of combat step.)

With Toolcraft Exemplar, the triggered ability always happens (if you have an artifact). So you'll get priority back after it resolves.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Holy poo poo uncommon mind control and the biggest one mana blowout I've seen.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

They really love this Shimmering Grotto thing, don't they?

It's interesting that they're going for "target of a spell" rather than "target of a spell or ability". I guess Limited formats these days tends to have so many abilities that target other creatures, so it'd be a bit too much of a liability otherwise.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I love Time to Reflect. It's the perfect white Bone Splinters.

I don't know if I'll play it, but I like it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I'll happily play all three of these cards in draft at some point and also really regret not hate-drafting them at some point.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
How do you mummify an illusion?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mossyfisk posted:

I love Time to Reflect. It's the perfect white Bone Splinters.

I don't know if I'll play it, but I like it.

You can cast it before damage and you don't lose a creature.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You need at least 13 Zombies to play that in your deck I would think. Even then it's probably bad.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jabor posted:

It's interesting that they're going for "target of a spell" rather than "target of a spell or ability". I guess Limited formats these days tends to have so many abilities that target other creatures, so it'd be a bit too much of a liability otherwise.

If you look at just that common "give creature haste" dude in the same post it's clear they saw the feel-bads coming from those interactions.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like Bloodlust Inciter. That's a neat card.

Feels like it should probably also have haste though, but that would probably justify putting it at rare.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

You need at least 13 Zombies to play that in your deck I would think. Even then it's probably bad.

If you're playing that many zombies you're probably playing budget zombie tribal at FNM or something. Also every embalmed creature token is a zombie so it's probably fine in the right limited deck. Perfectly fine little card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you're playing that many zombies you're probably playing budget zombie tribal at FNM or something. Also every embalmed creature token is a zombie so it's probably fine in the right limited deck. Perfectly fine little card.

I meant limited. This is unplayable in constructed. You also can't play it just to use with embalm creatures.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Balon posted:

You can cast it before damage and you don't lose a creature.

Exactly. It does creature based removal in a white way, instead of in a black way.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 14, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there a way to cast that red spell that makes you lose the game on turn 2 in standard? Very important question.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there a way to cast that red spell that makes you lose the game on turn 2 in standard? Very important question.

No

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sadly, no. There's no way to get 3 mana on turn 2 in this standard, because WOTC are cowards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Makes you wish that 20/20 wurm was real now, doesn't it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Count Bleck posted:

Makes you wish that 20/20 wurm was real now, doesn't it.

Yeah, but Fling kinda already did that.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Don't know if it'll make these relevant for Standard, but that mind control can grab planeswalkers, which is interesting, and Time to Reflect exiles, so it can remove Gideon if you have a zombie. Seems like a lot of answers to Gideon in this set. Are any of them good enough?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: NVM that does nothing

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I meant limited. This is unplayable in constructed. You also can't play it just to use with embalm creatures.

A 2 mana 2/2 isn't below rate enough to never ever put the card in your deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

Yeah, but Fling kinda already did that.

8 Fling would be The Most Fun Standard Deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

St0rmD posted:

Don't know if it'll make these relevant for Standard, but that mind control can grab planeswalkers, which is interesting, and Time to Reflect exiles, so it can remove Gideon if you have a zombie. Seems like a lot of answers to Gideon in this set. Are any of them good enough?

Lay Claim costs 7, so, uh...

That's either a win more card or sitting in your losing hand, probably

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

A 2 mana 2/2 isn't below rate enough to never ever put the card in your deck.

We aren't talking about the same card heh.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Soul Glo posted:

Lay Claim costs 7, so, uh...

That's either a win more card or sitting in your losing hand, probably

Well, I mean, it'll never be sitting in your hand unless you want it to be.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JerryLee posted:

Well, I mean, it'll never be sitting in your hand unless you want it to be.

Fair point :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jabor posted:

As a 2 mana creature with embalm, so it's not likely to eat a spell as removal anyway, so I don't think it's terribly relevant text for your opponent but it's still a minor downside since it means you can't threaten combat tricks with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's no scrapheap scrounger, but I feel like Embalm is going to allow games of limited to feel less stale like Clues did in SOI.

• Locked thread