Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
^ the only part about the dlc units that bother me is that the CPU can use them but you can't. Seems like a massive tease and FU to the player.

They're not as big of a deal as you think if you started the game from base, as they really just add flavor & the game is a ton of fun with or without DLC. RoR are pepper in the gumbo, but the gumbo tastes great without it.

The comparison of Empire & Napoleon doesn't really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jestery posted:

Darksiders

Its just fetchquest after fetchquest. Interrupted by fights that last far ,far, too long.

God of war but Catholic mythology sounds real fun

Yeah, Dante's Inferno was actually really good and fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Made further progress on Horizon, found a way past those loving clusters of Seekers, so that's 2/3 camps done. I do like how the collectibles show on the compass with a small cube so that you know to search there for a datalog, that's a nice QoL feature. At the third camp I'll try to remember to set traps before heading to disarm the alarm, I never use those...

Although a new problem, after destroying the alarm at the second camp the backup dudes the war chief placed just sat on their little ridge the entire time. What theb hell do I do to activate them? The first camp they jumped in as soon as the fight properly started but at camp 2 they just sat there even as I moved to fight inches away from them.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Apr 12, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

Made further progress on Horizon, found a way past those loving clusters of Seekers, so that's 2/3 camps done. I do like how the collectibles show on the compass with a small cube so that you know to search there for a datalog, that's a nice QoL feature. At the third camp I'll try to remember to set traps before heading to disarm the alarm, I never use those...

Although a new problem, after destroying the alarm at the second camp the backup dudes the war chief placed just sat on their little ridge the entire time. What theb hell do I do to activate them? The first camp they jumped in as soon as the fight properly started but at camp 2 they just sat there even as I moved to fight inches away from them.

Why are you playing new games. Go play aerobiz or Joe & Mac 2 :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

You can snipe alarms with a bow from a distance if you aren't doing that already

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Len posted:

You can snipe alarms with a bow from a distance if you aren't doing that already

...I somehow never thought to try that, I've been going full stealth infiltration this whole time :(

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

Total War: Warhammer is a really good and fun game.

Finding out that a lot of units (like elite variants of units, and some key units that shore up weak points in certain faction's armies) require you to purchase DLC is not good or fun.

In fact, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth reminiscent of when they released a buggy and barely playable game called Empire: Total War, didn't really fix anything, and a year later released a very similar game but separate game called Napoleon: Total War.

They are just replicating the real world Warhammer, where the more money you spend the better units you get! I'm honestly surprised they didn't make all the units gray, then charge you extra for GamesWorkshop approved color files.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah, I just Sharpshooter arrow it, snipe the Heavy carrying the fire-cracker weapon and scoop that weapon up to wreck who's left.
Or Blast/Fire wires then start a fight.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Smite's launcher / launch process is really bad

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I hate how easily even the smallest enemies can juggle you in the original Nier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blaster Master Zero is a very fun game.
However, there is an upgrade in an early level that is easy to miss and is essential to clearing some rooms.

As fast as I know, there's no easy way to teleport between stages. You have to drive AAAAALLL the way back.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i maxed out all the weapons in nier: automata and still didn't get the achievement :/

it's not that big a deal, all things considering but the scripting in the game can fall apart when you're trying to clean everything up in the endgame.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

i maxed out all the weapons in nier: automata and still didn't get the achievement :/

it's not that big a deal, all things considering but the scripting in the game can fall apart when you're trying to clean everything up in the endgame.

I had basic "finish area" story achievements not activate, despite doing all side quests and maxing all weapons, etc. Even after going back and replaying those areas, they didn't activate.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I just crap or is Horizon a fairly hard game? I'm only at the point helping the War Chief clear out the camps surrounding the Ring of Metal and I'm having great trouble surviving a cluster of like, 6 Corrupted Seekers. that are all watching each other's backs.

I'm stuck on this exact part. The Seekers aren't the problem, it's that as soon as the fighting starts around the camp there's some corrupted pterodactyl rear end in a top hat that spits fire everywhere or some poo poo (I don't really remember, I've been playing H:ZD in short bursts in between Zelda marathons). I'd go and do some subquests or something but I'm not sure the game would let me - all the Braves are just sitting around staring at the camp, it would feel bad to leave them hanging.

KingSlime posted:

Woo! Looking cool, Joker!

JFC Persona 5 needs like two or three times as many lines for battles. "Oh Skull...you're pathetic." In a game with so much charm oozing out of every other piece of its presentation it's crazy jarring to have battles be a robotic recitation of the same three or four voice clips. I swear it feels like even P4 had more voice line variety than this, but maybe it didn't and I just have rose tinted nostalgia glasses for it. Still, P4 came out almost a decade ago, I don't think it would be too much to ask for them to improve their chatter AI a bit in that time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Characters in Xenoblade Chronicles have skills that improve based on reading books. There's three levels for every skill but to get the third level you have to beat enemies and hope they drop a book. And there's nothing that signals if any enemy has a skill book.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Am I just crap or is Horizon a fairly hard game? I'm only at the point helping the War Chief clear out the camps surrounding the Ring of Metal and I'm having great trouble surviving a cluster of like, 6 Corrupted Seekers. that are all watching each other's backs.

I feel like mainstream AAA games have been getting harder in general recently. I thought my girlfriend might be in to Horizon, but then I played it and there's no way she'd enjoy a game that difficult. Overall I think it's a good thing, though.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I'm sure people mentioned Nier: A's prologue already. It's pretty long for a tutorial and there are no saves. I didn't really get to play around with combat until it was over because I was playing on hard and I didn't want to die.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RobotDogPolice posted:

I'm sure people mentioned Nier: A's prologue already. It's pretty long for a tutorial and there are no saves. I didn't really get to play around with combat until it was over because I was playing on hard and I didn't want to die.

Also if you die then you have to replay the entire game over from the beginning.

Speaking of Platinum, Bayonetta finally got released and PC and as somebody who loves Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of how easy defense is thanks to the accessible parry and the abundance of opportunities to heal at any given time I can't believe how much of a regression it is. Not only does dodging and parrying require frame-perfect timing but your health persists across chapters and the game gives a huge penalty to your ratings for using any healing items at all :tif:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Zinkraptor posted:

I had basic "finish area" story achievements not activate, despite doing all side quests and maxing all weapons, etc. Even after going back and replaying those areas, they didn't activate.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature! This is just Yoko Taro commenting on how achievements don't really matter in games":v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you gotta have Plat, there's an in-game store where you can literally just buy achievements for in-game currency

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of Platinum, Bayonetta finally got released and PC and as somebody who loves Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of how easy defense is thanks to the accessible parry and the abundance of opportunities to heal at any given time I can't believe how much of a regression it is. Not only does dodging and parrying require frame-perfect timing but your health persists across chapters and the game gives a huge penalty to your ratings for using any healing items at all :tif:

Way too many enemies in bayonetta just kind of zoom off screen then suddenly you're being hit by something you couldn't even see. Then your score is bad. It's weird that my favorite things to fight are the big giant guys because at least they don't just vanish on me the second I stop punching them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bayonetta 2 was massively better than 1 and I hope it gets ported eventually.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Nintendo owns it, so you'll be hoping for a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I would say pretty much the opposite sans the whole "Literally two whole stages of Space Harrier before the best boss fight" of Bayonetta one.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Guy Mann posted:

Also if you die then you have to replay the entire game over from the beginning.

Well, it's not exactly a regression because Bayonetta was pre-MGR :goonsay:

Persona games from 3 onward - time management is hard, and I always get the sinking feeling that I'm screwing up in some major way without realizing.

In Persona 5 there are so many gameplay features or "makes this part less of a pain" buffs that are behind social links which are behind social stats which I have to balance between doing the dungeons then there's the exams and part time jobs and :byodood:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I got to like the second like chapter of bayonetta I guess? Now every enemy is on fire and I literally can't attack them unless I do a perfect dodge and stop time. Suddenly combat just turns into a game of standing there and waiting for the enemies to stop dancing around and attack. This isn't fun anymore.

EDIT: Also these trials. There's no way to just quickly restart one, so if you gently caress up and know you won't win you have to wait for an enemy to kill you, go through a lovely failure screen, reload the whole thing, then go through the intro scene again. This is really, really not fun.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Apr 14, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jetamo posted:

Well, it's not exactly a regression because Bayonetta was pre-MGR :goonsay:

Persona games from 3 onward - time management is hard, and I always get the sinking feeling that I'm screwing up in some major way without realizing.

In Persona 5 there are so many gameplay features or "makes this part less of a pain" buffs that are behind social links which are behind social stats which I have to balance between doing the dungeons then there's the exams and part time jobs and :byodood:

I'm banking on not burning out by the time I finish and starting a Ng+ with maxed out social stats,assuming those carry over like they used to

Beyond the Grave
Jan 25, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I got to like the second like chapter of bayonetta I guess? Now every enemy is on fire and I literally can't attack them unless I do a perfect dodge and stop time. Suddenly combat just turns into a game of standing there and waiting for the enemies to stop dancing around and attack. This isn't fun anymore.

EDIT: Also these trials. There's no way to just quickly restart one, so if you gently caress up and know you won't win you have to wait for an enemy to kill you, go through a lovely failure screen, reload the whole thing, then go through the intro scene again. This is really, really not fun.

If you do a charge attack with the pistol weapons on the fire enemies, you can hit them with the projectile attack without taking damage, but yeah, they're really not great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just tried to play Kings Field (The Original). THAT was a mistake. Even figuring out that strafing was the way to go it's a clunky mess to actually circle-strafe, I only found one piece of armour (which helped a little), although I'm at the first save point, and I'm down to one healing item, and those bulbous enemies with the tentacles at the start have a ridiculous reach.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Beyond the Grave posted:

If you do a charge attack with the pistol weapons on the fire enemies, you can hit them with the projectile attack without taking damage, but yeah, they're really not great.

You can charge your pistols? Mine just auto-fire. The only other guns I have are shotguns which only fire after I do an attack and don't seem that great. I just had a timed trial thing where I had to kill a bunch of angels without witch time and at the end it drops one of the big flaming dogs on you, and just gently caress that, really?

I like the core gameplay a lot. I haven't died in combat a single time so far. Every one of my deaths has been to either a QTE or to something really weird, like the game holding me in place while the camera panned out to show me a hole in the wall while fireballs rained down and still killed me because they didn't think to give you invincibility during this. But it seems like the game really doesn't want me to like it with how much frustrating bullshit it suddenly just dumps on you after the really fun first stages.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

As someone who's played Devil May Cry for forever witch time absolutely ruined Bayonetta for me back in 2009. It just isn't very fun to have literally the entire combat system centered around using last-moment dodging to go into temporary god-mode in literally every encounter.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also I love the over-the-top nonsense of God Hand and Revengeance but Bayonetta's cutscenes just draaaag for how hard they're trying to be crazy and hyper.

Beyond the Grave
Jan 25, 2011

Nuebot posted:

You can charge your pistols? Mine just auto-fire. The only other guns I have are shotguns which only fire after I do an attack and don't seem that great. I just had a timed trial thing where I had to kill a bunch of angels without witch time and at the end it drops one of the big flaming dogs on you, and just gently caress that, really?

I like the core gameplay a lot. I haven't died in combat a single time so far. Every one of my deaths has been to either a QTE or to something really weird, like the game holding me in place while the camera panned out to show me a hole in the wall while fireballs rained down and still killed me because they didn't think to give you invincibility during this. But it seems like the game really doesn't want me to like it with how much frustrating bullshit it suddenly just dumps on you after the really fun first stages.

Most weapons in the game have some form of charged attack you can do with them. I'm pretty sure the katana charge up would work for them, too, but the game never really emphasizes the importance of charging an attack and getting a useful projectile out of it. I'd honestly call it one of the weaker parts of the game for sure. I spent the first playthrough bored out of my mind waiting for witch time until a friend clued me in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

As someone who's played Devil May Cry for forever witch time absolutely ruined Bayonetta for me back in 2009. It just isn't very fun to have literally the entire combat system centered around using last-moment dodging to go into temporary god-mode in literally every encounter.

It's nice to have, but once you start getting into larger fights it's frustrating when you don't have it. Like the one trial where you don't get witch time, you still have to deal with the fact that your fourth dodge in a row gives you a huge cooldown animation and it's super easy for enemies to just smack you out of your dodge if there's no time slow because they'll just cluster right up and most of your attacks don't have any kind of stun attributed to them.

Beyond the Grave posted:

Most weapons in the game have some form of charged attack you can do with them. I'm pretty sure the katana charge up would work for them, too, but the game never really emphasizes the importance of charging an attack and getting a useful projectile out of it. I'd honestly call it one of the weaker parts of the game for sure. I spent the first playthrough bored out of my mind waiting for witch time until a friend clued me in.

Oh, yeah that kind of charge attack. Yeah I could do that but then I'd have to spend the fight just running in circles hoping the actual charge attack doesn't hit or I take damage. I just don't get why the fire thing is even a thing since it just makes the combat kind of suck.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Apr 14, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's nice to have, but once you start getting into larger fights it's frustrating when you don't have it. Like the one trial where you don't get witch time, you still have to deal with the fact that your fourth dodge in a row gives you a huge cooldown animation and it's super easy for enemies to just smack you out of your dodge if there's no time slow because they'll just cluster right up and most of your attacks don't have any kind of stun attributed to them.

Yeah, but coming out from Devil May Cry, which is centered around attack-stunning and weaving in and out to separate enemies (unless if you're a Royal Guard person), Bayonetta is just infuriating. Metal Gear Rising is just comically better designed so at least they learned. I know a lot of people liked Bayonetta but I just couldn't get into it back in the days.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yooka-Laylee's camera works really well as a 3D platformer

Until it locks perspective.

Then it's the worst ever.

Banjo Kazooie never contextually locked the camera that bad, why the gently caress am I blind jumping on this poo poo?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I just don't get why the fire thing is even a thing since it just makes the combat kind of suck.

You can also hit them with stolen Angel weapons, Torture attacks, ranged attacks, and the hair strikes from the last hit in a combo (even if the previous attacks missed). It's a standard Platinum thing to drop in an (otherwise-weak) enemy who gets to freely negate a swath of your less interesting moves.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Apr 14, 2017

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Hard but the difficulty can swing too.
Glinthawks can't gently caress off and die fast enough (Yes I am using Fire, yes I am using Corruption arrows) but I generally don't have too many issues with Stormbirds.
The Cargo Crabs are simple but if I'm fighting them on a slope the camera fuckery gets me murdered.
Sometimes it feels like the enemy machine attacks track you waaaay too much.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Just tried to play Kings Field (The Original). THAT was a mistake. Even figuring out that strafing was the way to go it's a clunky mess to actually circle-strafe, I only found one piece of armour (which helped a little), although I'm at the first save point, and I'm down to one healing item, and those bulbous enemies with the tentacles at the start have a ridiculous reach.

The hardest part of the game is getting started. Once you have a few items to work with and get used to the attack timing it get's a lot easier. There's quite a few things near the start as long as you run like hell and get lucky avoiding the fish. At the very least you should grab the fire crystal on top of the tower in the water and use it. It will give you your first spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

If you give up, just do what I did and play with a map the entire time. By the second floor or so, you've gotten so much hidden treasure you get ahead of the difficulty curve. Same for King's Field 2 & 3.