Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Attn fellow junkies, the d-league playoffs are on facebook and later ESPNU. Tonight is OKC @ Vipers (WCF) 7 o clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

predicto posted:

the key words there are "career-best" He's a great player, but he's also a shameless chucker

Harden scored almost as many points as Westbrook while taking 400(!) less shots. Harden also led the league in assists.

I really don't see how a 29/11/8 stat line (with extreme efficiency) is less impressive than a 31/10/11 stat line with lousy efficiency.

A TS% of .554 on the highest usage in history only seems lousy if you just found out what TS% was a few months ago.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

http://acsh.org/news/2017/04/12/move-over-dutch-men-herzegovinians-may-be-tallest-world-11122

Hey Dejan, a few months ago you mentioned some Slavic region with a high population of ubertalls. Was it in Herzegovinia?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shoot me in the head with a big gun

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE chant is possibly my favorite playoff moment of the last five years so I hope he gets to suit up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

http://acsh.org/news/2017/04/12/move-over-dutch-men-herzegovinians-may-be-tallest-world-11122

Hey Dejan, a few months ago you mentioned some Slavic region with a high population of ubertalls. Was it in Herzegovinia?

Basically you go to the south Balkans in the Dalmatian mts and donaric alps and you'll find a lot of tall motherfuckers http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/...e-dinaric-alps/

People in my hometown are getting taller. Like 1 15 men is 6'5 or so. And they're mostly Dutch or German ethnically. Milk hormones giving girls periods at age 9 and making boys too tall.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Can we talk about our personal Musecages?

My Muse Cage is the whole foods in Glendale where everyone is the same height and build as me because it's disconcerting when I go shopping in little aremenia and there are dozens of 5'0 grown adult men toddling around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don't vote for a role player for Roy because a superstar rookie only played 31 games

That's the dumbest poo poo ever. Embiids 31 game production stretched over 82 games is still better than brogdan . He was the best rookie this year ! By far ! He almost made the all star team ffs

In summary : I hate you all and especially Uber need Zachary Lowe

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

the key words there are "career-best" He's a great player, but he's also a shameless chucker

Harden scored almost as many points as Westbrook while taking 400(!) less shots. Harden also led the league in assists.

I really don't see how a 29/11/8 stat line (with extreme efficiency) is less impressive than a 31/10/11 stat line with lousy efficiency.

Because you are looking at it like it is a single game stat line instead of a season average. Going game in game out and getting those two extra points and 3 rebounds is a lot harder than you are making it out to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't actually hate you all I'm just in love with Embiid and outside of reason

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Haha, you uber need Zach Lowe and you want to kiss him!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hey look, LeBron did something nobody has before. He should come up in the MVP convo more.
https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/852657730577981444

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Mike Conley has never received a technical, ever

quote:

He once shouted “c’mon man!” after a questionable call and saw the referee start to form a “T” with his hands. Then he saw him stop when he realized it was Conley. “Oh,” he said. “My bad.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-conley-the-nba-player-who-is-technically-perfect-1492090233

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

You don't vote for a role player for Roy because a superstar rookie only played 31 games

That's the dumbest poo poo ever. Embiids 31 game production stretched over 82 games is still better than brogdan . He was the best rookie this year ! By far ! He almost made the all star team ffs

But the point of basketball in theory is to win the games. When you play in less than half of the games you aren't helping your team win the games. We know there are many flaws in this first principle but we hold to it so that the arbitrary shambles of what we call a sport holds together. Plus embiid has been in the league for 3 god drat years. although brogdon is 25. loving old men winning rookie of the year its as if they've had time to mature and work on their games

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Nobody's telling me about their Musecage and it's starting to piss me off

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mandrel posted:

A TS% of .554 on the highest usage in history only seems lousy if you just found out what TS% was a few months ago.

That only gets you so far. Harden's usage was also extremely high, but his TS was far, far better.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Metapod posted:

Because you are looking at it like it is a single game stat line instead of a season average. Going game in game out and getting those two extra points and 3 rebounds is a lot harder than you are making it out to be.

Of course. It's hard as hell.

But I'm comparing it to what Harden did for the entire season, which was even better.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

i don't know what the word means

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

i don't know what the word means

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19008491

I still don't either

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
People are saying Pop and D'Antoni are both CotY candidates but no one is saying that Donovan is one. Ergo, Russ is the MVP

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Donavan is criminally underrated for not playing Westbrook 40 minutes a game. Just about any other coach would've done that, but he scrapped and scratched for minutes off that awful guard bench just so Westbrook will not die 40 games into the season.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Dejan Bimble posted:

But the point of basketball in theory is to win the games. When you play in less than half of the games you aren't helping your team win the games. We know there are many flaws in this first principle but we hold to it so that the arbitrary shambles of what we call a sport holds together. Plus embiid has been in the league for 3 god drat years. although brogdon is 25. loving old men winning rookie of the year its as if they've had time to mature and work on their games

Honestly Embiid arguably did as much or more in 31 games as Brogdon did in his full season.

I'd have Saric over him too but whatever if neither of them win it isn't a big deal. Especially since I'd rather have either of them moving forward.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Dejan Bimble posted:

The concept of a "winning team" being relevant to the ROY race has only existed since March 2017 when Bucks fans invented it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
List of all the NBA records broken during the regular season:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/4/13/15257526/nba-records-broken-new-2016-17-westbrook

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

Of course. It's hard as hell.

But I'm comparing it to what Harden did for the entire season, which was even better.

the only thing that harden did better than russ this season was shoot at a 2% higher percentage from the field

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No respect for Buddy here

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Metapod posted:

the only thing that harden did better than russ this season was shoot at a 2% higher percentage from the field

Really reaching here, as someone that voted for Westbrook

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Sixers plus minus with Embiid on the court in January was like +18 . Which is better than the warriors

My point is even of you divide his production by 3 he's still better than . .. Michael ? Brogdan

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

my musecage is full of jr smith contested 3s, rubio passes, and russ highlights to bring me for positivity and a looping gif of the brow hitting a gamewinner against okc in 2015, a boxscore of game 6 wcf 2016, and a portrait of kyle singler for negativity

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cool Buff Man posted:

Haha, you uber need Zach Lowe and you want to kiss him!

lmao. got em

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My musecage is my memory of the grindhouse when we chanted first team defense. It was an insular moment caught in time

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
code:
ROTY
	     winshares		WS/48
Brogdon 	4.1		.100
Embiid 		1.9		.117
Hield		1.3		.032
Saric		1.0		.023

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

Hey look, LeBron did something nobody has before. He should come up in the MVP convo more.
https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/852657730577981444

Nah, I can understand leaving him out of the MVP talk. He's really not the same guy in the regular season.

But oh man I can't wait for Saturday (right?). LeBron is going to do all that stuff only he can do.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Let's break it down to known knowns and known unknowns and unknown unknowns

Kobe states plainly that a Musecage is a room decorated with anything and everything that inspires you. A reel to reel tape and possibly a Quran pop up as he says this.

Kobe goes on to state, while surrounded by the words "ambitions, Frien^s, Ambitions, Challenges, Recognitions, Awards, "When you are in your musecage your surrounding by musings that keep you focused and motivated."

Then his purple worm friend asks (I think) "Can a musecage cause me to be a beast for my basketball game?" Kobe answers in the affirmative. The worm asks "Can a musecage muse me to be a beast like James Harden? Kobe again answers yes.

Kobe states a musecage can be whatever you want to be, if you build it the right way. He states you don't need construction tools, but you need your curiosity, to search all of the world for musings to use to decorate your musecage. the more musings you find, the more powerful your musecage will become.

This is when it gets heavier and into a distorted version of ego psychology
Kobe says a Musecage is defined by light musings, like 'youre nice" and dark musings, like "you're worthless"

Kobe states that dark musings may be our greatest source of energy and power. and that your inner beast may be inside a dark muse.

This is followed by an animated vignette in black and red about a train trekking through dangerous mountains in search of a dark muse for his musecage.

In the next video, the worm is speaking about destruction and domination. Kobe tells him he needs to learn the game at a higher level, and reveals an all knowing crystal polyhedron. The worm wishes for the secrets of Harden and Westbrook.

A female narrator (voice of crystal polyhedron) says that their numbers are inspirational, but a musecage is not complete until we understand how they get these numbers.We're instructed to gameplan against both and the female narrator explains how to cover actions by both Harden and Westbrook in multiple ways. Then she poses the question, are Harden and Westbrook reading the game, or doing something more (ambiguous) then she instructs us to muse on.

Known unknowns: Is the musecage a physical room where you watch game film or a state of mind where games are remembered in full and dissected and replayed in various ways

Unknown Unknowns: Does the word cage represent the prison that focusing on one task above all others that self-erects when humanity is shunted aside for angry basketball excellence

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ragle posted:

code:
ROTY
	     winshares		WS/48
Brogdon 	4.1		.100
Embiid 		1.9		.117
Hield		1.3		.032
Saric		1.0		.023

Ok maybe brogdan is pretty good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Ok maybe brogdan is pretty good

Not to mention the fact that he's about to be eligible for medicare and social security so let him ball before he's legally forced to retire

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Ball was juiced!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ragle posted:

code:
ROTY
	     winshares		WS/48
Brogdon 	4.1		.100
Embiid 		1.9		.117
Hield		1.3		.032
Saric		1.0		.023

Go ahead/tying Fgs in 4th/OT...
Dario Saric: (20) 19th in NBA
Malcolm Brogdon: (6) 141st in NBA

Points scored when neither team is ahead by 5 or more in the last five minutes of the 4th...
Dario Saric: (61) 43rd in NBA
Malcom Brogdon: (27) 133rd in NBA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I dunno for me it's probably something lame like a local mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Go ahead/tying Fgs in 4th/OT...
Dario Saric: (20) 19th in NBA
Malcolm Brogdon: (6) 141st in NBA

Points scored when neither team is ahead by 5 or more in the last five minutes of the 4th...
Dario Saric: (61) 43rd in NBA
Malcom Brogdon: (27) 133rd in NBA

Well, wrap it up then. Brog Dog is done.

• Locked thread