Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SLOSifl posted:

I'm noticing as I'm replying that you might be talking about PVP.

I am. I've always ran strength builds as my first file and tend to end up with big fat weapons even on my others. They are really fun and the way to use them in pve feels natural to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Ruin Sentinels are a good boss

Ruin sentinels and their music was the fight that really got me sucked into DS2. I died a million times to pursuer, yeah, but the banging cacophony of the ruin sentinels fight got my blood pumping.

You drop in there, and it's quiet for like an instant, then oh god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz1_3az6Hgs

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Belfry Luna in its heyday was some of the most fun I've ever had in any of these games. I remember pretty cleanly triumphing in a 1v2 by luring two knuckleheads to the entrance, doing a miracle roll past both of their swings to land right between them, and then spamming Force until they both fell off.

My favorite memory is rushing to get the bat staff, and keeping my level as low as I could to cast that poison cloud in belfry luna. near instant poison on low level characters who probably didn't have any moss. then you just follow them around until they die of poison, or stab them if they try and chug.

so much hatemail...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

swamp waste posted:

See I feel the same way about Stoker though. He takes a real, undogmatic look at sex and mortality, finds the truth completely horrifying, and decides that it's up to the realtors, cowboys, and creepy German doctors of the world to suppress it. Because letting Dracula exist would be tantamount to admitting that we're just bodies animated by blood and horniness.

don't forget that gypsies are evil

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm thinking more about the Profaned Capital and trying to fill in the missing pieces of info about it. Who is this description talking about?

quote:

Greatshield used long ago by Yhorm the Giant. Increases the user's poise.

As a lord, Yhorm risked everything and fought unflinchingly as a one-man vanguard. Following the loss of the one he wished to protect, he forsook his shield.

My initial thought was that had to be Siegward and this was referring to him attempting to link the Fire (and failing). However the description of storm ruler doesn't really mesh with that;

quote:

Greatsword with a broken blade, also known as the Giantslayer for the residual strength of storm that brings giants to their knees.

Yhorm the Giant once held two of these, but gave one to the humans that doubted him, and left the other to a dear friend before facing his fate as a Lord of Cinder.

This would indicate that Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder before Siegward attempted to link the Fire. So who the hell was this person that was so important to Yorhm?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm thinking more about the Profaned Capital and trying to fill in the missing pieces of info about it. Who is this description talking about?

I don't think it's ever revealed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

My initial thought was that had to be Siegward and this was referring to him attempting to link the Fire (and failing). However the description of storm ruler doesn't really mesh with that;

This would indicate that Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder before Siegward attempted to link the Fire. So who the hell was this person that was so important to Yorhm?

WHy do you think Siegward tried to link the fire?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHISHKABOB posted:

WHy do you think Siegward tried to link the fire?

Siegward says he is unkindled, and unkindled are stated to be undead who attempted to link the Fire and failed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone on PS4 want to help me with demon bros? Psn is Monostat7

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Someone who's not important to anyone else. Basically. Or the storm ruler was a burial gift for seig and Yhorm two handed his machete to get mad and smash poo poo on the final stretch to becoming a lord.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vermain posted:

Would you mind explaining the reasoning behind your position?

My Dark Souls play through order was Bloodborne>DS2>DS3>DS1, and I just beat DS1 like 4 months ago. I know that it was really vogue to hate on DS2 when it came out, but II had never played DS1 before it so my play through of it was totally unbiased my first time.

-Lacked the world design of 1, or the aesthetics of 3. Every zone felt like some "RPG archetype" that the developers felt the need to check off. Majula was cool, Sunken City was cool, everything else was entirely forgettable and felt forced a lot of the time.

-Bosses were horrible. Like, unbelievably bad, especially after Bloodborne. Sinh was a good dragon fight, and the Mirror Knight was cool in theory if not in practice. I can't even remember most of the bosses because they just felt like larger enemies. Rotten, Lost Sinner, Old Ornstein, Shulva Gank Squad, Old Iron King, Smelter Demon 1&2, and Freya come to mind as extremely boring, uninspired fights. I realize that DS3 copied as lot of boss fight mechanics also, but they at least felt thematically and visually cool.

-The whole control scheme felt bad. I get that there's always adjustments between each game, abut DS2 still felt like poo poo after 40 hours of play. Grabs continued to be bad, hitboxes were the worst in the series, enemies (while not as fast as DS3) had a ton of those 20 hit dodge-this-or-die combos, and enemies reactions were really strange for how slow your character is. I'm forever haunted by a hollow laying down in one of the first areas, because when you hit him he just teleported upright and did a hyper-armor swing at you. Always made me so mad. No matter how much I play DS2 I can never get used to the controls and it always feels bad. It always takes me a few hours when I switch between DS1/3 and Bloodborne, but no matter how much I play DS2 it still never feels natural.

-It feels like the developers were so high on their own farts about "Dark Souls is sooo hard and mean!" they just made a lot of areas unfun by cramming it full of enemies. I understand that the healing crystal mechanic changed things, but there are way too many areas where there's just dozens of enemies streaming in at you. Old Iron Keep has Allonne knights, the Bastille has that door you open where knights just charge you, Shrine of Amana, the run to Smelter Demon 2. There are just so many places where it feels like they put enemies thoughtlessly to make it annoying. Enemy placement in 1 and Bloodborne feels so precise and designed to challenge you to be vigilant and aware, but DS2 feels like they just wanted to make it a slog through many areas.

-Didn't find weapon/armor visuals too impressive. They weren't bad, but they weren't better an DS1 or DS3, despite some people really raging on 3 for not having anything new. I don't think any of the games have spectacular armor design though.

-The lore was not particularly interesting. I thought the story presentation was pretty good with the lead up to Vendrick and what happened to him, but it felt too divergent from the kind of storytelling DS1 and DS3 do. I remember people ragging on DS3 HARD for "copying DS1" or whatever, but it makes more sense to me than DS2. The game is a series, and I know that time is convoluted and all that, but you could literally just pretend DS2 doesn't exists (Or that it exists in a pocket universe created by Nashandra, or whatever that theory is) and it wouldn't change anything. It shows us that the Age of Fire is a cycle, kind of, but the whole "third option" never really sold me. There are still two options, link the fire or don't. Walking away (the 3rd option) doesn't seem to remove you from the cycle, it just delays it until someone else has to make the same choice. I thought 3 did a better job of presenting the Age of Dark and displaying the fact that maybe Gwyn was just a shitheel and the "Gods" are selfish pricks delaying the natural course of existence.

-Powerstancing and weapon variety was less than what I expected, given how much some people poo poo on DS3 for "taking steps back" from DS2 in terms of weapons. Powerstancing was...okay? Gave you a for more options I guess, but didn't impress me.

I know this is a lot of words for why I don't like something, but the reason I feel so strongly is because I want to like DS2 *so* bad, but every time I go back to it I'm reminded of how much I dislike basically everything about it. I was about 80% through DS2 my first time playing through, then I got bored, stopped because I thought the series was poo poo, then decided to give DS3 a go when it was released. Much in the same way people love DS1 (or Demon's Souls) despite it's flaws (and it has many, though nostalgia blinds some people to that) because it was their first Dark Souls experience, Dark Souls 3 was mine, even though it wasn't even the first one I played. It just gave me that thrill and challenge that DS2 lacked, and it will always remain the best in the series for me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fly Molo posted:

...you really shouldn't use that last ring against Midir. Not since the last patch, anyway. Bloodring is now -30% damage absorption across the board, and it gives you 1 less i-frame (15 vs 16 pre-patch, instead of 12 normally). So you're risking being one shotted for not much gain, unless you're running Tears of Denial.

It must depend on how you play, and when your brain tells you its a good time to roll. It was a world of difference in my experience.

I'm surprised its only one iframe, it feels like a lot more than that. But yeah you'll get one shotted by the laser breath.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

And here I was thinking you were making a joke post.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You have to think of DS2 like Buddhism.

In Buddhism, you can't really stop the cycle of reincarnation for everybody, but you remove yourself from it by reaching enlightenment. That's what the DS2 alternate ending was.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you have to collect the chaos emeralds and go sit in a chair

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 2 has my favorite collection of levels in the entire series. But that also takes away from what made DS1 and to a lesser effect DS3 great - a big world. Drangleic felt like a series of levels, I didn't feel like I was exploring a world. Lordran and Lothric are mostly contiguous. You can usually see the big wall of Anor Londo in DS1. You can often see the towering rock city of Lothric. In DS2, in one minute you're in Majula, then pass through a sewer and you're in a grand expanse of a crumbled kingdom overtaken by the ocean (which is my favorite area in all Souls games.)

I liked the weapons in 2 more as well. DS3 homogenized a lot of weapon movesets, at least they did for greatswords. The Fume UGS is quite different than it was in 2. Twinblades were fun and flashy, although they were better in PvE since they are pretty easy to parry.

But the biggest offense is you can't infuse the Avelyn. What the gently caress. I want my lightning Avelyn shooting lightning bolts!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds2 is my least favorite but it's still ok.

sure wish I could get summoned as a spear of the church ever again

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think DS3 took parts of DS and DS2 world design. They tell you plainly that the realms of the lords are converging on Lothric in some weird supernatural way. They're not really supposed to be like this. But they are all connected now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also sure wish that killing Patches affected the Lapp questline in any way whatsoever, or vice versa

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I don't like DS2's enemy saturation. Groups of enemies are difficult because the mechanics aren't really built for brawls. It really isn't a compelling difficulty for me to fumble with the limits of the system in place.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Node posted:

But the biggest offense is you can't infuse the Avelyn. What the gently caress. I want my lightning Avelyn shooting lightning bolts!

Huh? I could swear you could infuse Avelyn in DS2...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tallgeese posted:

Huh? I could swear you could infuse Avelyn in DS2...

You definitely could, there was a brief era of dual mundane Avelyn supremacy. Around the same time as mundane Santier's Spear wrecked poo poo. Both got nerfed around the same time.

e: I think he's saying that you couldn't infuse it in 3 though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

also sure wish that killing Patches affected the Lapp questline in any way whatsoever, or vice versa

The entire sequence of the DLC seems to take place in the future, so its long after you've met Patches and dealt with him.

As far as I'm concerned its cannon that the player kills Patches purely for the convenience of having his stock carried by the shrine maiden, and that's part of why he's turned into a hollow.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

You have to think of DS2 like Buddhism.

In Buddhism, you can't really stop the cycle of reincarnation for everybody, but you remove yourself from it by reaching enlightenment. That's what the DS2 alternate ending was.

Except you're not removed from it. You just chose not to do anything, which is what everyone else (except the Gwyn and the Chosen Undead, and kind of Aldia) has always done. You're no more removed from the cycle than any other Undead. You're still cursed, you're still just pissing around the world. If you want to use the Buddhism analogy then you're not Enlightened, you're just a bodhisattva has has decided not to help anyone, which makes you not really a bodhisattva, just a regular dude.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I didn't know the estoc heavy was a double slash.
Which says everything about what i think of dex weapons. So going a dex mage will be really interesting

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Except you're not removed from it. You just chose not to do anything, which is what everyone else (except the Gwyn and the Chosen Undead, and kind of Aldia) has always done. You're no more removed from the cycle than any other Undead. You're still cursed, you're still just pissing around the world. If you want to use the Buddhism analogy then you're not Enlightened, you're just a bodhisattva has has decided not to help anyone, which makes you not really a bodhisattva, just a regular dude.

Except the alternate ending is pretty much you going out and trying to find another path, one that works for more than just you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Except that ending was included once all three crowns were introduced, which when combined have the power to stop the curse for the true king.

The entire point of that ending, when combined with the crowns, is that you are free of the curse of want, as indicated by the fact you no longer covet the throne and are free to walk out.

EDIT: Not to mention you literally become immune to curse so long as you wear them. They made "YOU ARE FREE OF THE CURSE" as blatant as possible if you wore the crown... and you're the true monarch, why wouldn't you?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
h-h-h-hornet's ring

same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hornet ring would be so much more annoying if so many people weren't so garbage at parrying.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

The hornet ring would be so much more annoying if so many people weren't so garbage at parrying.

Yeah but it's still dumb because if they stumble into a parry they'll probably win, and the "cost" of using the ring is pretty insignificant.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
on the other side of the coin, it's annoying how many of the popular weapons and individual moves right now are things that cannot be parried

can't parry ultra greatswords or bigass hammers which are everywhere, can't parry gael's greatsword jumping weapon art, etc
hey you wanna focus on parrying? great just go ahead and memorize this spreadsheet, see you two years later when you've internalized it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Edwad Emberpants is coming back btw.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Most people who are fishing for parries are wielding one of those weapons too. The problems are compounding!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IronicDongz posted:

same as it ever was, same as it ever was

Into the blue again after the souls are gone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So from what I've seen, for two blues to show up in an invasion they have to be from both covenants. You can't have two Sentinels or two Darkmoons at a time, just one of each. Which means the best way to reliably get summoned is to make a low level character and get them to the darkmoon covenant. Cause there's gonna be way less darkmoons available to be summoned at a low SL.

Otherwise its just as miserably slow as its always been at high SL.

EDIT: Also I find it baffling that landing a shield splitter art on an opponent behind a shield doesn't stagger them. The shield can absorb the hit like normal, they just take full damage. The result of this is that using this art for its intended purpose can expose you to painful counter hits because they will tank the hit with their shield and be able to swing before the move's lag ends.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I don't like DS2's enemy saturation. Groups of enemies are difficult because the mechanics aren't really built for brawls. It really isn't a compelling difficulty for me to fumble with the limits of the system in place.

See, I used to think this, too, but Joseph Anderson's review of DS2 made it clear what the development team was going for. Lifegems were specifically included in the game to make aggressive play more appealing and to make fighting multiple enemies not a painful slog, because all that matters from encounter to encounter is that you don't die. Getting dropped to 1/5th HP at the end of an encounter doesn't matter, because you can simply crush a few Lifegems and get back to full in no time flat. The system was designed and balanced around the assumption that the player would take a hit or two while fighting multiple enemies and would have to decide when it was safe to go in, when it was safe to press their luck, and when they needed to play defensively and chug Estus instead.

The issue, I think, is that the development team was developing a sequel to DS1, where bonfire-to-bonfire management was critical. The system they implemented made encounter-to-encounter management the more critical element, with bonfire-to-bonfire taking a back seat. I don't think one method is inherently superior to the other, but it's a dramatic change in how the game is played. Consequently, the sort of strategies that people accumulated playing through DS1 - carefully monitoring every scrap of health, only ever engaging one enemy at a time, etc. - ended up fitting really poorly with DS2's design, which is what ended up frustrating a lot of people (myself included). Once you realize that the game is fine with you taking hits during combat, it's vastly more enjoyable.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Groups of enemies are difficult because the mechanics aren't really built for brawls.

Yes they are. You can stagger lock 3-4 enemies at once without much difficulty.

Mixing enemies to create interesting situations is a fundamental way that to create difficulty. Take two things that are easy on their own, put them together to make a challenge. Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Zelda, Bayonetta, and Super Mario Bros could all be counted as bad games with artificial difficulty if you immediately dismiss the idea of groups of enemies as soon as it gets to be a bit stressful.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, most of those are fundamentally different games that do not feature things like damage stun(or at least make you invuln after getting hit). I do agree with you though

New Concept Hole posted:

Most people who are fishing for parries are wielding one of those weapons too. The problems are compounding!
Luckily big dumb weapons tend to get beat pretty hard by fast weapons with good range if you're patient. I was having a lot of fun making other people unhappy in a fight club using an irithyll straight sword and an avleyn, playing defensively with the range+speed of both those to punish greatswords/great hammers when it was safe to do so and the armor didn't matter. beat like 7 people in a row that way, one of whom jumped off the edge after not being able to do anything

it makes me a bad person but there is nothing I love more than finishing off someone who had a tiny bit of health left by sprinting back and forth to bait them and then shooting them immediately with the avleyn as soon as they do any sort of attack

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 14, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So as to people discussing what's going on with Yhorm being the call back to DS 2 I actually think he works on the assumption that all of DS 2 takes place with in the Abyss, as shaped by the Daughters of Manus, and that in reality The Giant Lord won his war against Drangleic. Dark Souls 2 the game takes place in a reality constructed within the Abyss by Nashandra for the express purpose of gaining the Throne of Want.

This is why The Things Betwixt is what it is, and the opening video, which shows someone entering Drangleic, involves jumping into a whirlpool of black goop. Also sort of explains the Chasms of Old, in that they're the bits of the Abyss that Nashandra hasn't changed.

Unfortunatley Scholar probably shits all over this theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The game absolutely gives you the tools to handle the groups it throws at you without resorting to changed cheese and without even needing the constant availability of healing from life gems. Fighting a large group of enemies means you might need to switch your weapon, or at least reconsider its moveset (e.g. longsword one hand vs. two handed in DS2 offer different, but good tools for handling groups), change tactics and pay more attention to choke points and terrain. It makes fights hectic and tense, without the frenetic turn towards constant rolling that happened in DS3, and was mostly very well done. I do think SotFS added more enemies to some areas just for the sake of more enemies, though, and not always for the better. But there are much more valid complaints about DS2, like awkward enemy animations and hitboxes. Even then, and in spite of its obvious missteps, its combat is the most interesting and robust of the three.