Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

corn in the bible posted:

Guy Mann probably hasn't even seen CK, it's just a movie people say was important so he picked it for his idiot statement without realizing why it was important or how ignorant that makes him look

I mean, there's a level of doofus where I just can't get mad at the person, I just assume it came out wrong.

One of the things that surprised me when I watched famous old cinema is how good most of it is. It's perfectly watchable, and the pacing might be a little slower than what people are used to, but I think anyone could enjoy it. It's just old, and that creates stigma. Hey thread, if you're feeling a little burned out by video games, pick up an old movie and give it a try. You might be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Movies, like video games, have been good since the word go

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

Movies, like video games, have been good since the word go

I don't know a forums moderator "" Movies "",

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Everything old is garbage and everyone you knew is dead, old man. Everything new throws at what made the old great and no one respects anything, you young whippersnapper.

Alternatively, old movies are good. New movies are good. Old games are good. New games are good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Golden Age of Hollywood movies don't always age well. There is a lot of talking and the characters talk quickly, some plots are convoluted as gently caress (some of the most famous noir films are especially guilty of this), and, as with all things, what was once novel and cool becomes cheesy and lame. Not everyone has the same tolerance for that kind of stuff. "I can't watch black-and-white movies" used to annoy me but it's fine now, it's okay. I can still enjoy them

It's important for me to be okay with this kind of sentiment because as I said earlier, lots of NES classics do not interest me in the least, something about their aesthetics or design philosophy turns me off. Thankfully there are millions of other video games out there

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
dear nintendo,

for chismas i wanna kirby and mario crossover game

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

precision posted:

dear nintendo,

for chismas i wanna kirby and mario crossover game

Olive! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's the Dark Souls of movies from before Citizen Kane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aubUkD_2k4

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Probably Birth of a Nation, depressingly enough.

e: Dang that's a cool movie above this post.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

Whatever that movie is called where Thomas Edison electrocutes an elephant to death to demonstrate his mastery over the power of electricity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

What's the Dark Souls of movies

Andy Warhol's Sleep

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Topsy Goes Down

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Dziga Vertov's The Man With a Movie Camera. It's short but can be difficult for first timers to get through.

Kai Tave posted:

Whatever that movie is called where Thomas Edison electrocutes an elephant to death to demonstrate his mastery over the power of electricity.
It's straight up called Electrocuting an Elephant.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i thought that was to demonstrate that tesla was dangerous and insane

i mean yeah he could've just pointed to the bird tesla liked to nut on but cmon how often do you get to electrocute an elephant mang

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought he did it to "prove" how dangerous AC is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I thought he did it to "prove" how dangerous AC is

They say the bodies are buried underneath the old Bonnaroo site

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yes to both.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tesla was the Dark Souls of scientists

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

the bird tesla liked to nut on

Sorry?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More Bloodborne than Dark Souls

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like Georges Méliès movies

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I like Georges Méliès movies
My favorite Melies is The Impossible Voyage, about people that ride a train into space and then onto the fuckin' Sun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like when he'd paint the frames individually because it gave it a really unique look

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Some of the best Hollywood movies ever made were in the late 30s which is before Citizen Kane. Also glorified stage plays, what

I mean you could probably describe 12 angry men as a glorified stage play since it has like, 3 locations total and almost all the action takes place in 1 room, but holy poo poo would you have to be dumb to think of it that way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hatoful girlfriend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drat. That's a love that cannot be broken right there

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I mean you could probably describe 12 angry men as a glorified stage play since it has like, 3 locations total and almost all the action takes place in 1 room, but holy poo poo would you have to be dumb to think of it that way.
I dunno, it's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember 12 Angry Men feeling pretty stagey.

I didn't really like the last few other Lumet movies I saw at all though so that may be coloring my perception.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like that Taro said that Nier Automata was not going to be depressing but in the end, once you go through everything it's a game entirely about meaningless cycles being endlessly repeated for making the things of the world feel like they have a purpose, even if they actually don't and all was lost literally thousands of years ago

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, it's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember 12 Angry Men feeling pretty stagey.

I didn't really like the last few other Lumet movies I saw at all though so that may be coloring my perception.

12 Angry Men being somewhat like a stage play isn't a bad thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I like that Taro said that Nier Automata was not going to be depressing but in the end, once you go through everything it's a game entirely about meaningless cycles being endlessly repeated for making the things of the world feel like they have a purpose, even if they actually don't and all was lost literally thousands of years ago

lol you believed anyone, even its own director, that a yoko taro game wasnt going to be a festering sore of depression

i myself steer clear, i dont need that kind of emotional surrogacy in my life

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

The game itself is still very positive in its message, I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This reminds me that there should be a stage play adaption of Ex Machina. It has 4 characters and takes place in 3 rooms in one location. Well, and immediately outside that location. You could do it with 2 sets.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

The game itself is still very positive in its message, I think.

While it is far less oppressively depressing than Nier, even in the good ending the pods create a new cycle in hope that maybe things will turn out differently, even though they probably won't

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nier: Automata has literally the same ending as Battlestar Galactica.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Snak posted:

Nier: Automata has literally the same ending as Battlestar Galactica.

way less canadian actors though, for better or worse :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Every time I play 20XX I start out impressed at all the new things they added and how fun the combat is, then I notice that the level design still is totally obviously put together by an algorithm, then I get really into the boss fights, and then I die and realize I'd have to start over without any of my powerups and stop playing. I really wish it was just a proper platformer instead of a roguelite.

Raxivace posted:

It certainly has stage-like elements, but it also has really amazing camera work that does as much for the film as any of the performances, so to call it a glorified stage play would be ignoring how masterfully it uses the language of cinema.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 14, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Stage play" isn't a derogatory term

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

"Stage play" isn't a derogatory term

I never said it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Every time I play 20XX I start out impressed at all the new things they added and how fun the combat is, then I notice that the level design still is totally obviously put together by an algorithm, then I get really into the boss fights, and then I die and realize I'd have to start over without any of my powerups and stop playing. I really wish it was just a proper platformer instead of a roguelite.

This is why I haven't bought 20XX yet tbh. I'd be all over a Megaman X-esque platformer revival but not in roguelike form.

• Locked thread