Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Often times a new technology in its infant stages will be showcased using methods, mindsets, and content from the previous technology until people get a feel for it and then they start to dig in and take advantage and write their own methods. The earliest cinema was just recorded stage plays set to live music.

This is why VR games are all just riffs of regular video games instead of some truly unique thing.

Citizen Kane wasn't the first film to stray from stage mindsets, but it is the most notable film that began to establish and harmonize those new methods of cinematic storytelling that we recognize today. Wells was still standing on the shoulders of giants though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

New games are good.

hm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPjFhu6JS0E

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxEud-DqJ64

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

It certainly has stage-like elements, but it also has really amazing camera work that does as much for the film as any of the performances, so to call it a glorified stage play would be ignoring how masterfully it uses the language of cinema.
I'm gonna have to give it a rewatch one of these days then because I don't remember seeing that much in its camerawork as much as I thought the story and acting were solid.

Like I said though, it's been a long time since my last watch.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

That game is truly representative of the horrors of new games. Now I made myself sad thinking about collectathons.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

citb irl

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For a split second I was like "where did citb find a blade game"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkO5rT8elg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that that stupid Technomancer game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that that stupid Technomancer game?

whys it gotta be stupid huh, your just prejudiced against technomancers like my friend zachariah

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Let me sneak on him
Zachariah let me sneak on him
Let me sneak on him
And the battle will be easily won
Let me sneak on him
Zachariah let me sneak on him
Let me sneak on him
And the battle will be easily won
Let me sneak on him

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG33gM7Kgc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I would like for it to do well enough to be released on PS4, because it looks real cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I would like for it to do well enough to be released on PS4, because it looks real cool.

Me too, man. I plan on making a thread about it once they finally patch the remaining issues. The game is already way better than it was at launch, but there's still some weird stuff they're working hard to fix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Me too, man. I plan on making a thread about it once they finally patch the remaining issues. The game is already way better than it was at launch, but there's still some weird stuff they're working hard to fix.

Yeah, I basically only know about the game at all because of your enthusiasm for it. It didn't meet the stretch goal for a ps4 port, so it's kind of a long shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly that's probably for the best. Kickstarters have historically tended to underestimate how much money and work goes into multi-platform releases, and it's led to resources being stretched thin and final products being kinda disappointing. It's probably better if a port comes after success of the initial launch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly that's probably for the best. Kickstarters have historically tended to underestimate how much money and work goes into multi-platform releases, and it's led to resources being stretched thin and final products being kinda disappointing. It's probably better if a port comes after success of the initial launch.

I mean, I wouldn't expect it any other way, even if they had reached the stretch goal. Porting while you're still finishing stuff is... just don't.

I'm still waiting for whatever that Tron-esque racing game was to come to PS4. I keep forgetting what it's called because it's got some really generic name...

edit: DISTANCE. First hit for "tron-esque racing game"

Distance is still under a lot of active developement, and they have updated their site to say "Coming to PS4 when it's ready" from saying 2016. Which is much more promising that leaving it at 2016 without, you know, saying anything about it not coming out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 14, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

by the way his full name is Zachariah Mancer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've given up on Distance ever coming out. :rip: Great Joe

At least there's that Wipeout compilation out soon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

by the way his full name is Zachariah Mancer

I only care about the part of his name that lets me sub him in for "baby, baby" in paradise by the dashboard light.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I could have died of carbon monoxide poisoning today through no fault of my own lol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I'm glad you're okay.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I live above a pool store and the person operating the pool store was running a generator down there and when they closed up the store, they left the generator on and the generator says not to operate indoors or else because it emits carbon monoxide and can kill in minutes if left running in an enclosed space. Had to open up the windows and ventilate the apartment and go downstairs and pull open their garage door in order to shut off the generator.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIIzIEIo1jg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

nobody is entirely sure if that game was licensed or not

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

I live above a pool store and the person operating the pool store was running a generator down there and when they closed up the store, they left the generator on and the generator says not to operate indoors or else because it emits carbon monoxide and can kill in minutes if left running in an enclosed space. Had to open up the windows and ventilate the apartment and go downstairs and pull open their garage door in order to shut off the generator.

Holy cow. Glad you figured out what was going on and survived!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I could have died of carbon monoxide poisoning today through no fault of my own lol

I'm glad you did not die.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo. Glad you pulled through. It's like a puzzle in an adventure game

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You saved some lives today, FAK. Don't forget that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I am very glad you are not dead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope my neighbors are not dead. I knocked loudly on their door but they did not answer but it was also very late at night and the detector went off early enough that I'm hoping I was able to put a halt to it and keep people from any harm.

Fuckin hell, life, is this your way of telling me to just give up and let it end or something lol, cause I know times are tough for Kinky Cookie Bunny & myself right now, really tough, but that doesn't mean we need to die

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Fuckin hell, life, is this your way of telling me to just give up and let it end or something lol, cause I know times are tough for Kinky Cookie Bunny & myself right now, really tough, but that doesn't mean we need to die

If you have to find meaning in this incident, you should view it as your "It's a Wonderful Life" moment where life shows you that your existence has more positive impact than you think, since you likely saved some lives.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope my neighbors are not dead. I knocked loudly on their door but they did not answer but it was also very late at night and the detector went off early enough that I'm hoping I was able to put a halt to it and keep people from any harm.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Eh, they'd have figured out what to do without me, I'm just the guy bullheaded enough to go downstairs, see the store door is locked, and force open a garage door by setting a flashlight under the garage door window's rim and using the added leverage to push the door up until I could slide my feet under and use my body to hold the rest of it up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

:golfclap:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Good job surviving, Kite. :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Eh, they'd have figured out what to do without me, I'm just the guy bullheaded enough to go downstairs, see the store door is locked, and force open a garage door by setting a flashlight under the garage door window's rim and using the added leverage to push the door up until I could slide my feet under and use my body to hold the rest of it up.

Well I'm still glad you're ok friend.

:sympathy:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hopefully that dude gets chewed up and spit out for that, I mean maybe it was a honest mistake but that's the kind of mistake you can't ever make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

oh gg good thing u survived

how much exp did you get for busting open a garage door, and for what job class

• Locked thread