Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Intel, HP and Cisco all have transceiver brand lockin, you have to use their lovely branded ones or it flat out won't work, which made it loving hellish getting my HP switch to talk to my Intel NIC using a copper cable. I think Cisco still has the iOS command that lets you use the non-branded ones, but intel and HP's response was more or less 'eat a dick' when I asked them how to disable it.

HP has only gotten worse too, they've been locking out firmware updates if your device is outside of its warrenty period.

So, my new setup:

Dell PowerEdge R710
2 x Xeon E5630 Quad Cores @ 2.53 Ghz
64 GB ECC Registered DDR3
2 x 100 GB Dell Enterprise SATA SSDs in RAID-1 (OS)
6 x 146GB SAS 10ks in RAID-6 (VM Storages)
8 x 500GB SAS in RAID-50 (Data Storage) in an MD-1000 Direct Attatched array
4TB Buffalo USB 3.0 External Drive for backups three times a week
FreeNAS Corral 10.04
Plex in Docker Container running on a bootDocker VM
Windows Server 2016 in VM

Runs about 220 watts at full load.

Most of this was migrated off a Dell 2950 that was sucking down almost one and a half times the power with half the performance.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CommieGIR posted:

HP has only gotten worse too, they've been locking out firmware updates if your device is outside of its warrenty period.

Yeah, they're off my list of stuff to ever buy again after the poo poo they've pulled. My 2910 cost me like $50, and the two copper cables cost me like $250, the generic ones were like $40 a pop.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Intel, HP and Cisco all have transceiver brand lockin, you have to use their lovely branded ones or it flat out won't work, which made it loving hellish getting my HP switch to talk to my Intel NIC using a copper cable. I think Cisco still has the iOS command that lets you use the non-branded ones, but intel and HP's response was more or less 'eat a dick' when I asked them how to disable it.

Wait, so what transceivers should I be looking at to work with the onboard 10Gb SFP+ NICs on Xeon-D boards?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait, so what transceivers should I be looking at to work with the onboard 10Gb SFP+ NICs on Xeon-D boards?

Intel only, unless they have a firmware or registry tweak to disable the Genuine(tm) Intel(tm) Compatibility check.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Where is the person that shat on me for saying I didn't like the way 10 was going? Glad to see IX listening and rethinking this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Where is the person that shat on me for saying I didn't like the way 10 was going? Glad to see IX listening and rethinking this.

It was more the Lead Developer left and nobody could fill the vacuum. That and the Java package that does the GUI is not being developed anymore.

I can't wait to see what they replace it with, but I'm still happy with it overall.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

And this is why you don't base your product upon other frameworks (MontageJS) that aren't very widely used.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

And this is why you don't base your product upon other frameworks (MontageJS) that aren't very widely used.

Am I misremembering, or wasn't it originally based on React when they first announced 10?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Am I misremembering, or wasn't it originally based on React when they first announced 10?

That's weird. I wonder what the deal with this MontageJS dealio is?

Also, I should restate my original statement as "And this is why you don't base your product upon other frameworks (MontageJS) that aren't dependent upon tiny companies."

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TTerrible posted:

Joke's still on you, then: other than the UI (presumably), the vast majority of 10's feature set will be getting back-ported to 9.x. I think they made mention of intending to put Docker support into 9.10.3 or somesuch, though I didn't catch if that will also be tied with dropping legacy jail support, or will be in addition to jails.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Joke's still on you, then: other than the UI (presumably), the vast majority of 10's feature set will be getting back-ported to 9.x. I think they made mention of intending to put Docker support into 9.10.3 or somesuch, though I didn't catch if that will also be tied with dropping legacy jail support, or will be in addition to jails.

They say currently, bhyve will be included in the May release, as well as Docker Container support via bhyve, and a new UI, so yeah, a lot of stuff from Corral is getting back ported, but I know they are not resuing the MotageJS UI due to lack of development.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DrDork posted:

I was concerned about jails being completely replaced with Docker, and the first bullet point of features on the announcement about Corral being dropped is:

quote:

Expand and improve support for jails and jail-based plugins: For maximum compatibility with lighter system requirements.

I'll be fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope someone leaks the drama that happened behind the scenes.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
This announcement has totally killed any desire I had in trying to build something, I'm now going back to qnap for the foreseeable future. gently caress this immense waste of time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ILikeVoltron posted:

This announcement has totally killed any desire I had in trying to build something, I'm now going back to qnap for the foreseeable future. gently caress this immense waste of time.

You can pay for unraid and get pretty great features, smooth as hell upgrades, and non emulated docker

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

You can pay for unraid and get pretty great features, smooth as hell upgrades, and non emulated docker

FreeNAS is not 'emulating' docker, its running it in a boot2docker VM. Its a full docker install, on a lightweight Linux distro.

http://boot2docker.io/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

:shepicide:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

eames posted:

Is this little disclaimer new? :v:

I'm appreciating this post a lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

I'm appreciating this post a lot.

Man, you are such a buzzkill. Some of us like it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Back to the drawing board. :shepicide:

Oh well, I only have ~2TB of data used, it'll be just an evening for me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Man, you are such a buzzkill. Some of us like it.

I can understand liking it. I love the idea of the UI not locking up on operations and stuff. I quoted that post because I like the idea of someone in iX just slipping the (NOT FOR PRODUCTION) on the link while a heated debate was going on about what to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

I can understand liking it. I love the idea of the UI not locking up on operations and stuff. I quoted that post because I like the idea of someone in iX just slipping the (NOT FOR PRODUCTION) on the link while a heated debate was going on about what to do.

I haven't had my UI lock up on operations yet. The only major bug I've dealt with was the installer just doesn't work. Only way I got it to install was to install FreeNAS 9.0, then change the update path, and let it self-update to Corral.

Otherwise, it just wouldn't install.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I haven't had my UI lock up on operations yet. The only major bug I've dealt with was the installer just doesn't work. Only way I got it to install was to install FreeNAS 9.0, then change the update path, and let it self-update to Corral.

Otherwise, it just wouldn't install.

Sorry I meant the middleware thing where you could set something going on the admin pages and then navigate away and the operation would continue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Sorry I meant the middleware thing where you could set something going on the admin pages and then navigate away and the operation would continue.

That's what I meant. I can start an operation (or an operation can be kicked off via the cron) and it'll show up on the list as in process even if I leave the page.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

That's what I meant. I can start an operation (or an operation can be kicked off via the cron) and it'll show up on the list as in process even if I leave the page.

Under 9? I'm sure I get a model progress thing that runs backwards and forwards. I've not touched my install for a long rear end time though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You're agreeing with each other. TTerrible is saying that the old UI sometimes hung when you did operations, and the Corral one doesn't, and that's nice.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

G-Prime posted:

You're agreeing with each other. TTerrible is saying that the old UI sometimes hung when you did operations, and the Corral one doesn't, and that's nice.

Yes, this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Yes, this.

Oh okay, my mistake!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A lot of the times my posts end up as word salad. I doubt the mistake was yours. :shobon:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TTerrible posted:

I'll be fine.

Well then everyone wins!

I mean, everyone except anyone who already upgraded to Corral and spent any time setting up VMs, anyhow.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I dont want to buy unraid. what else can I use in the mean time?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

caberham posted:

Ubuntu + ZFS, or your linux distro of choice + mdadm with LVM, or Windows + Storage Spaces, honestly anything that's been around for a while will work and people get all picky over minutia here.

Edit: Don't use btrfs in RAID 5 or 6.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 14, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

caberham posted:

They have a free 14 day trial that can be extended to 28 days on request.
I did not want to buy it either because some design decisions are more than questionable (root login over plaintext http to access the 1999 designed web gui :wtc:) but they got a lot of other things right. The maintenance required to keep it running is minimal because you have a company and a pretty large community doing all the work for you.

Ubuntu + ZFS + KVM + Docker would arguably be a better solution but it'll require a lot more effort and manual config editing to keep it running.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm fuzzy on the ZFS/bitrot thing; is the issue with prior RAID systems that they can't correct for bitrot (in which case, what's the point of scrubbing??), or is it that bitrot could occur between scrubs and you won't know until after the file's already been read somewhere and the corrupted file has screwed up your project?

Also, what parity RAID system is currently fastest at rebuilding from a failed disk?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

caberham posted:

Another option for ZFS-with-a-GUI is napp-it (GUI management package) on OmniOS (Illumos distro). It also supports KVM and Zones, so you even have your bhyve and Jails analogs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

Looks like one of my 2TB drives in my ZFS NAS is dying. As part of a gradual upgrade, I'm going to replace it with a 4TB disk.

What 4TB NAS drive should I go for? I've been using WD Reds, and Amazon has the 4TB for 139.99. Which is the same price I paid in Nov 2015, but better than the price it was a few months ago.

Reposting for assistance

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Reposting for assistance

WD Reds or HGST NAS drives are good. Arguable drive life stats:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Reposting for assistance

You can't go wrong with WD Reds. The Seagate Ironwolf drives look promising, and are slightly less expensive compared to Reds. ServeTheHome has some recommendations too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Reposting for assistance

Reds are still the default answer, more or less. No one has any real data on the HGST or Seagate ones (and, frankly, I doubt anyone has any real data on the Reds, either), so you're mostly trading on brand-name expectations and whose warranty support you think would be best (hint: they will all replace failed/failing drives without argument).

I've always gone for whoever happens to be on sale when I needed a new drive and so far have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Reposting for assistance

HGST 4TB NAS. I've sold and used a lot of them and had zero die in 2-3 years I think. Not a huge sample size, maybe 25, but I am a huge fan.