Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Wow, please tell me this was the same day we dropped the largest non-nuclear bomb ever.

Firstly, I can't believe I just learned it was a MOAB. That's like, from 2003, and yes it's the first time it's been used, but it's not a new thing. All day I kept hearing about this "largest non-nuclear bomb ever". Yes, that thing I learned about 14 years ago.

Secondly, lol at article which made the front page of reddit having this misleading bullshit in it before they edited it out

Tom Batchelor, a dumbass at INDEPENDENT posted:

Little Boy, which was dropped on Hiroshima at the end of the Second World War, had 15 kilo-tonnes of TNT. The GBU-43 has 11.

Yes. It does have 11.

11 tonnes.

compared to 15,000 tonnes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Ex Machina could be done with like, 2 main sets, and a minimalist set for the very final scene. A little bit of creative costuming and some minimal expository dialogue additions to fill in things that were clearly conveyed in visuals in the film. It barely has 4 characters.

edit: Obviously there would be dialogue that needed to be rewritten for other reason to, I just meant premise-wise.

If you watched the episode of Abstract (on Netflix), the woman who creates plays from light fixtures would be the only person I could name for the job. If you haven't seen it, it's not my favorite episode, but it's great nonetheless.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Warning: If you hate the "Martha" scene from BvS, Fast 8 is not the movie for you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Warning: If you hate the "Martha" scene from BvS, Fast 8 is not the movie for you.

you act like the kind of people who still poo poo their pants over BvS a year later would ever "lower" themselves to watching a fast and the furious movie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

you act like the kind of people who still poo poo their pants over BvS a year later would ever "lower" themselves to watching a fast and the furious movie.

fast five is way better than bvs though

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best F&F is still 2 Fast 2 Furious, and I reckon it and Beavis are 'bout even.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

K. Waste posted:

The best F&F is still 2 Fast 2 Furious, and I reckon it and Beavis are 'bout even.

you're an idiot if you think anything with ugly fake cgi action can be better than fast five

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

*while watching a bunch of polygons in the shape of superman rendered next to a cgi spikey lightning man* hm yes this is better than when they actually, for real, were driving that safe around and doing cool car stunts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, this forum sure has some funky ideas.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

no cgi action scene can ever be good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

corn in the bible posted:

you're an idiot if you think anything with ugly fake cgi action can be better than fast five

You're a sucker if you can't appreciate Singleton's contribution to American action and pop cinema. The bubblegum, homoerotic vibe of the movie is way more visually and emotionally interesting than anything Justin Lin or James Wan has ever done, as good as it is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The F&F movies are some of the best ones I've ever seen and BvS is one of the worst

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The trailer for F8 of the Furious is way better movie than BvS. It's also better than the trailer for BvS. Fast 5 is the last F&F I got around to seeing, and it was better than Man of Steel and also better than BvS.

I've only seen 1, 4, and 5 F&F movies, I really need to fix that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The idea that disliking the worst blockbuster of 2016 is somehow snobbish and "pants-making GBS threads" is so amazingly out of touch and delusional. It's like something from the CBR forums.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, I only watched BvS like, a month ago, so it's not like I've been carrying a torch for how lovely it is for a fuckin year or whatever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

K. Waste posted:

The bubblegum

grey vs grey: grey of justice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i bet you liked gods of egypt lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

grey vs grey: grey of justice

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked The Grey. That was a pretty good movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

i bet you liked gods of egypt lol

Yeah, I do.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Snak posted:

I liked The Grey. That was a pretty good movie.

hell yeah it was

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The idea that disliking the worst blockbuster of 2016 is somehow snobbish and "pants-making GBS threads" is so amazingly out of touch and delusional. It's like something from the CBR forums.

you really don't watch a lot of movies if you think beavis was the worst blockbuster released in 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have never seen BvS and I never will. I feel nothing about this. It is not a point of pride or a point of shame. It is just reality. I feel nothing about it.

Honestly if y'all weren't constantly arguing about it it wouldn't exist to me so stop it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

Firstly, I can't believe I just learned it was a MOAB. That's like, from 2003, and yes it's the first time it's been used, but it's not a new thing. All day I kept hearing about this "largest non-nuclear bomb ever". Yes, that thing I learned about 14 years ago.

Secondly, lol at article which made the front page of reddit having this misleading bullshit in it before they edited it out

Yes. It does have 11.

11 tonnes.

compared to 15,000 tonnes.

The non-nuclear qualifier makes it seem less big, it's big enough to kill people for miles. It's the third biggest bomb used in a military operation ever and the biggest bomb used in a military operation in more than 60 years. I'm pretty sure we just committed a war crime because our President was bored or angry.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Bangry

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The non-nuclear qualifier makes it seem less big, it's big enough to kill people for miles. It's the third biggest bomb used in a military operation ever and the biggest bomb used in a military operation in more than 60 years. I'm pretty sure we just committed a war crime because our President was bored or angry.

I mean, it doesn't make it less hosed up, I'm just annoyed that after people talking about the MOAB for ten loving years, when they finally use one, they don't call it that, and I think it's some totally different thing.

you really don't watch a lot of movies if you think beavis was the worst blockbuster released in 2016

What was the worst blockbuster released in 2016?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you say Civil War I'm going to laugh and laugh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

xmen apocalypse was pretty bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of movies from 2016 and gross military actions, 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi was pretty great.

edit: ^ And yet still better than BvS.

I didn't see Suicide Squad. I could imagine it being worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

xmen apocalypse was pretty bad

I was really sad that everyone beat me to the Ivan Ooze jokes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

comic book movies are pablum for manchildren

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Snak posted:

What was the worst blockbuster released in 2016?

easy answer is Independence Day: Resurgence, which I'm going to bet that you literally forgot existed until a couple seconds ago.

Lurdiak posted:

If you say Civil War I'm going to laugh and laugh.

Civil War genuinely is a worse film than beavis on every meaningful level, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

comic book movies are pablum for manchildren

Pretty much, yeah. What was the worst blockbuster of 2016?

edit: I actually got on Box Office Mojo to see what movies came out last year, and yeah, I didn't remember that came out until I saw it on there.

But was it really worse than BvS?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Beavis isn't a bad movie, it's just s cog in the merchandise machine. It has nothing to say and contributes nothing of value outside advertising. It's a Big Mac movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's true, the only effect it had on me was making me want a Desert Warfare Batman action figure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

It's true, the only effect it had on me was making me want a Desert Warfare Batman action figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H94FHVGeEE

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Snak posted:

But was it really worse than BvS?

quite.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

No way, it's like an hour short, which means it would have to have >50% more badness per hour to be worse.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Egbert Souse posted:

Beavis isn't a bad movie, it's just s cog in the merchandise machine. It has nothing to say and contributes nothing of value outside advertising. It's a Big Mac movie.

It's not even the Big Mac, because that implies a level of childlike indulgence and reckless abandon. That's Civil War. Beavis is joyless and tedious. It's McDonald's lovely black coffee with a packet of sweet n low that didn't mix quite right so it hits you in the wave of coffee grounds as you finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The new Kendrick Lamar album is something else.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not even the Big Mac, because that implies a level of childlike indulgence and reckless abandon. That's Civil War. Beavis is joyless and tedious.

They're actually both joyless and tedious, lmao if you actually like that godawful airport fight

• Locked thread