Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you're sensible about your capacity with regards to mortgage repayments (and this means factoring in our current historically low interest rates, and the fact that they will rise), and are buying something that you can live in for 10 years if necessary, then there isn't really such a problem with buying now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you're sensible about your capacity with regards to mortgage repayments (and this means factoring in our current historically low interest rates, and the fact that they will rise), and are buying something that you can live in for 10 years if necessary, then there isn't really such a problem with buying now.

Pretty much my thought process.

We'd be paying the same in Mortgage for what we do in rent now, albeit moving 15-20mins further out of the city (Melbourne).

No plans to flip the property, just owner occupy for the foreseeable future.

And when the bust comes, which it will, still being able to afford repayments with an interest rate of say, 8% before we need to look at options.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Any major drop would be preceded by economic conditions that would dwarf the drop in housing anyway.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
You saying it won't go until a bunch of people default?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm easily willing to believe the idea that the Coalition want the housing bubble to burst on Labor's watch and then they can blame them for it. Whenever the Liberals wreck things by stupid tax cuts that slash revenue and cause future budget problems, the effects are delayed enough to only be noticed once they are out of office. With practice they could very well get good at the timing of this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nibbles! posted:

If you keep negative gearing it's not really a bubble in the traditional sense, invester money will always be pouring in.

The only way it realistically bursts anytime soon is if negative gearing is removed across the board, which is not going to happen. At best they'll grandfather it meaning prices hold as investors stop buying however hold onto their remaining stock.

There was a column on the ABC that pointed out that because such a significant proportion of property owners are investors now the traditional ideas about what might cause a crash may not apply. For example, investors don't consider an investment property a home that you try and hold onto until you can't afford to pay the mortgage, for them it's about the same as a bunch of shares and if they think it isn't going to increase in value any more they sell and put their money elsewhere. If they see a scheme that grandfathers NG, and think it will cause house prices to stagnate and then slowly fall, they'll try to get in ahead and sell before they have to sit through 3 years of their asset not growing.

Which is why I wonder if the bigger, institutional investors might be quietly moving their property on. We came within a whisker of having a Labor government who promised to grandfather NG in power, the polls are even worse now and blind freddy can see that negative gearing/CGTD is blowing up into a huge political issue which may not survive past the next election. Private investors may have drank too deeply from the koolaid for all this to register but maybe some of the bigger investors are taking a more objective view of it (or will soon). It's one thing to ignore APRA's and the RBA's warnings but once the ratings agencies and international banks start weighing in it might start to sink in that there is a bit of a problem brewing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

There was a column on the ABC that pointed out that because such a significant proportion of property owners are investors now the traditional ideas about what might cause a crash may not apply. For example, investors don't consider an investment property a home that you try and hold onto until you can't afford to pay the mortgage, for them it's about the same as a bunch of shares and if they think it isn't going to increase in value any more they sell and put their money elsewhere. If they see a scheme that grandfathers NG, and think it will cause house prices to stagnate and then slowly fall, they'll try to get in ahead and sell before they have to sit through 3 years of their asset not growing.

Which is why I wonder if the bigger, institutional investors might be quietly moving their property on. We came within a whisker of having a Labor government who promised to grandfather NG in power, the polls are even worse now and blind freddy can see that negative gearing/CGTD is blowing up into a huge political issue which may not survive past the next election. Private investors may have drank too deeply from the koolaid for all this to register but maybe some of the bigger investors are taking a more objective view of it (or will soon). It's one thing to ignore APRA's and the RBA's warnings but once the ratings agencies and international banks start weighing in it might start to sink in that there is a bit of a problem brewing.

Yeah, it's dangerous to underestimate how dramatically investor sentiment can swing. Negative gearing only works if prices are going up and sentiment is that they will continue to go up for the time being. If something triggers a switch in how people view the market then it could all come crashing down very quickly. Once it starts it'll be a self perpetuating cycle as it hits the wider economy which in turn forces more people to sell and further drives prices and the economy down.

Of course, I have no idea what the trigger will be or when it will happen but the most recent monthly growth figures (19% in Sydney and 15% for Melbourne) are so ridiculous that I feel we are closer to the end than ever before.

I don't have the time to compare that to current property price graphs but I'd hazard a guess and say we are well into the delusion stage (with the brief period after the GFC where prices declined being the first sell off).

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The difference with standard bubbles and our property market is that it isn't the inflated market itself people are trying to cash in on, it's the tax implications that are driving them to do it.

Ours started out with the public cashing in, it was anyone with equity and tax to minimise that benefited from negative gearing.

For the market to crash you need, for whatever reason, more people desperate to sell than there are buyers. At best negative gearing will be grandfathered meaning there's no reason to sell, investers will leave the market and all the desperate homebuyers will keep buying at whatever prices are.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AgentF posted:

I'm easily willing to believe the idea that the Coalition want the housing bubble to burst on Labor's watch and then they can blame them for it. Whenever the Liberals wreck things by stupid tax cuts that slash revenue and cause future budget problems, the effects are delayed enough to only be noticed once they are out of office. With practice they could very well get good at the timing of this.

If there's any thing the major parties will reach a bipartisan agreement on (other than sending refugees to torture island) it's doing whatever they can to keep the bubble from popping. Both parties are filled with property hoarding aristocrats and a market crash will wipe out their livelihoods, regardless of who takes the blame.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

For the market to crash you need, for whatever reason, more people desperate to sell than there are buyers. At best negative gearing will be grandfathered meaning there's no reason to sell, investers will leave the market and all the desperate homebuyers will keep buying at whatever prices are.

On the one hand you're right, bubbles start for different reasons. On the other hand you're ignoring what a bubble is, the loss of rationality about investments and the loans made to acquire them.

Buying a string of investment properties and banking up the loans for them is not an unusual situation in the current market. Negative gearing is only part of the story; the underlying problem is being able to make good on the loans. Grandfathering will only help some, but it won't solve the problems a burst bubble presents to the economy. The flow-on effects can be difficult to predict, but its bad news for everyone.

I assume Dutton and friends will look after themselves and pretend to be sad. But geez, the anger over this will no less irrational than the bubble itself.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
All property is theft so stop talking about loans for houses and just steal some.

https://twitter.com/mickyb273/status/852744309665222656

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nibbles! posted:

The difference with standard bubbles and our property market is that it isn't the inflated market itself people are trying to cash in on, it's the tax implications that are driving them to do it.

Ours started out with the public cashing in, it was anyone with equity and tax to minimise that benefited from negative gearing.

Anything that causes prices and/or sentiment to fall will put real pressure on investors regardless of the tax benefits they get.

This is largely due to the fact that without increases in value negative gearing and capital gains tax deductions quickly lose their appeal. There's no point in being able to reduce your tax by 10k a year if you are losing 20k a year in capital value. More so with rental yields being so low. Additionally, around 40% of investors (who make up something like 40-50% of all lending for property) are using interest only loans. That only increases the markets reliance on capital gains. When the capital gains stop and sentiment shifts then the investors will get out and the bubble will burst.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

Negative gearing only makes sense if you can sell your property and make a gain though, otherwise people would be racking up any old tax deductible expense. As soon as investors think that house prices have peaked they'll be offloading them as quick as they can to make sure they maximise their gain.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Backburner posted:

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott has gathered all the backbenchers around the Liberal party room to regale them with an Easter tale of how the resurrection of a former leader saved all of humanity.

Abbott, who claimed he was only telling the story to celebrate Good Friday, rejoiced in telling the story to an impressionable group of backbenchers who sat patiently, cross-legged at his feet as he spun a beautiful story of a man who was beloved by about thirteen people but despised by everyone else and was dispatched only to come back and save everyone.

“It’s a beautiful story,” Abbott told The Backburner. “It tells a very important and still relevant tale that I have brought up today for no reason. There’s a moral here, if you choose to find it. I mean, sure, there’s all the religious meaning but there’s also a story about second chances.

“Maybe we should all look for the person in our lives who has been cast away but somehow had their tomb left open and is now back and wandering around creating drama everywhere they go. I’m not referring to anyone in particular, of course. Just whoever comes to mind first when I say that. Except Kevin. He also fits that criteria but that’s not who I mean at all.

“Let’s all just come together and celebrate a traditional Easter in a traditional way: by having a lovely meal and then immediately betraying our leader.”

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Dee Madigan would be so much cooler if she wasn't a Labor shill.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

would

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

which one?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
He'll let you know in his article in The Spectator next week

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dane Cook :rolleyes:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Reports of gunfire at Manus Island

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/852826453540458498
https://twitter.com/themarkjacka/status/852827142295502848

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

adamantium|wang posted:

Reports of gunfire at Manus Island

ABC are saying that it looks like it is the Navy firing

The ABC posted:

Iranian asylum seeker Benham Satah said Australian security staff were sheltering inside the complex with the detainees.

Mr Satah said the attackers were using high-powered weapons and their fire left bullet holes in the accommodation buildings.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ewe2 posted:

Buying a string of investment properties and banking up the loans for them is not an unusual situation in the current market. Negative gearing is only part of the story; the underlying problem is being able to make good on the loans.
Let's not forget the other member of the band, old mate CGT discount.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The helicopter hovering just out of shot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm keen on the Aussie dollar finally dropping down, but not a massive housing bubble crash.

I'm keen on picking up a house at 10 cents on the dollar, and walking to the train station past the begging boomers now living in cardboard boxes, using what little is left of the meagre social services they've spent the last 4 decades voting to slash and shred.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This from the detained journalist:

https://twitter.com/BehrouzBoochani/status/852835133677748225

Sounds like a loving invasion.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ewe2 posted:

:toot:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/shanebazzi/status/852841022144995328

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ewe2 posted:

This is the missing tweet

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Finally, it's time for us to annex PNG.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It's not quite Trump tweets from last week but this doesn't seem to have aged so well either

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/849396043603218435

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why would the Papuan Navy do this?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Soccer is srs bzns. Maybe the fact that almost everyone on PNG who isn't on the money train that has them there loving hates them being there had something to do with it too. Mostly it was probably just the soccer though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Don't worry Wilson security will show us their humanitarian efforts and protect the refugees

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Don't worry Wilson security will show us their humanitarian efforts and protect the refugees

They just turned up for the easy cash. I imagine any Wilson staff on site will be making GBS threads themselves at the idea of having to actually secure the place.

Pay for security theatre, get security theatre.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Kurtofan posted:

Have you never seen a soccer riot?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
There is something deeply, darkly humorous about this

https://twitter.com/AuskarSurbakti/status/852843213152858113

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

adamantium|wang posted:

YOU CANNOT BE SETTLED IN AUSTRALIA

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

adamantium|wang posted:

Make them throw one of their number overboard before any rescue ship allows a pick up.

Then burn the boat.

• Locked thread