Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

In my current tiny game everyone is green or teal happy face with me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

In my current tiny game everyone is green or teal happy face with me. :shrug:

I've been having quite a few mostly-peaceful games post-patch, yeah.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The space race victory was better back in Civ 1. I think then (if i remember correctly) you had to build X number of components and could launch early with a specific number of turns to win but could still lose if someone else launched later with more thrusters. I think.

Now it's just 'who can be bothered to build 3 space ports and ideally grind a great engineer".

You could launch with fewer people, fewer thrusters, and/or less fuel. Max all had 100% chance to succeed with the highest score, but was slowest. You could launch with fewer of things to be faster and usually have a lower chance of success.

Nobody did that. You always launched at max. The "space race" has always been the ground game leading to launch, including desperate attempts to take their capital, so they wisely ditched the Civ I space race.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

so they wisely ditched the Civ I space race.

That said, I'd still like them to bring back the Space Race score bonus. If only because launch Civ 6 didn't have any score multipliers at all for anything, leading to things like winning on Deity and getting ranked just above Dan Quayle

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I think Future Tech research cycle should add one amenity to every city, or something. Kinda like it used to giv happiness in old civs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

I think Future Tech research cycle should add one amenity to every city, or something. Kinda like it used to giv happiness in old civs.

I think it should give random small changes in addition to score -- an amenity, gold, food, and occasionally increase war weariness if you are at war, since new tech means more people are aware of the horrors of war.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

I think it should give random small changes in addition to score -- an amenity, gold, food, and occasionally increase war weariness if you are at war, since new tech means more people are aware of the horrors of war.

The increased war weariness would be fine because you're getting amenities to balance it out.

Though knowing modern Firaxis, FutureTechAmenity would be a singular and tradeable resource rather than, say, FutureTechAmenity_1[...]FutureTechAmenity_65536

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I'm in a game where everybody is friends with me and/or an ally. I would agree that peace is definitely an option post-patch. It's the first game without war I've ever had.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

The increased war weariness would be fine because you're getting amenities to balance it out.

Though knowing modern Firaxis, FutureTechAmenity would be a singular and tradeable resource rather than, say, FutureTechAmenity_1[...]FutureTechAmenity_65536

I think it would be good if they were random but non-unique within Future Tech, meaning you might randomly get a second one of something you have (because it would be tradeable), but would still be getting something nobody else on the map could get without Future Tech. Basically, like goody huts at the other end of the game -- picks semi-randomly from a list. You won't get the same one within two or three iterations, but might get something you're not that excited about, and occasionally might get something negative. But always a boost to score.

Edit: but yes, more than one unique Future Tech resource.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am starting to hate this game. The "quit to main menu, then quit to desktop to avoid the computer crash" trick worked... once. Game says my hardware checks out fine, guess I'll try reinstalling.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Can't you just end it via task manager while it's still running, without using 'quit game'?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

John F Bennett posted:

Can't you just end it via task manager while it's still running, without using 'quit game'?

Can't get to the task manager. I get the taskbar at the bottom of the screen but everything above that is stuck on the frozen Civ screen. Can't see or interact with the task manager.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

Can't get to the task manager. I get the taskbar at the bottom of the screen but everything above that is stuck on the frozen Civ screen. Can't see or interact with the task manager.

I have the same problem, but holding Ctrl-Alt-Delete for a few seconds longer than usual (I might not have made this clear before) allows the task manager to actually show up where I can use it to kill the offending process. I suspect it's related to the thing where if I alt-tab quickly, the thing I want in front can't get in front of Civilization, but if I hold down alt-tab for a few seconds, then it can work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

I have the same problem, but holding Ctrl-Alt-Delete for a few seconds longer than usual (I might not have made this clear before) allows the task manager to actually show up where I can use it to kill the offending process. I suspect it's related to the thing where if I alt-tab quickly, the thing I want in front can't get in front of Civilization, but if I hold down alt-tab for a few seconds, then it can work.

Hmmm. Might have to try that next time, but I think I'm going to wait some before booting the game up again. Seems like a bunch of people are having this issue, and that's hard to excuse for Firaxis.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah sorry for not signing up, vacation was at an awkward time. Good luck!

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
One thing that surprises me is that they still havent got a setting that saves you last game setup yet. I mean I alwyas want epic speed for example and half the time forget making me restart a few turns in one I realise.

Is there a mod or anything for that?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Touchdown Boy posted:

One thing that surprises me is that they still havent got a setting that saves you last game setup yet. I mean I alwyas want Quick speed for example and half the time forget making me restart a few turns in one I realise.

Is there a mod or anything for that?

You made a mistake, but I fixed it for you.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For the PYDT group:

Is there a way to start a new thread? It's locked me after 3 replies for being a "new user."

Sorry about the hold up, last night PYDT bugged out and wouldn't let me upload my save. It wouldn't let me run the turn again, either, so I had to revert. It worked properly this morning.

And also sorry for spamming up this thread, but...yeah, can't post on PYDT. :geno:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Are there any good "colonization" map generation scripts out there? (All civs start in one continent, all city states in another, all strategic and luxury resources exist in the CS continent)

The way the game is structured right now doesn't give me much incentive to branch out of my home continent, other than the general need for more space.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TipTow posted:

For the PYDT group:

Is there a way to start a new thread? It's locked me after 3 replies for being a "new user."

Sorry about the hold up, last night PYDT bugged out and wouldn't let me upload my save. It wouldn't let me run the turn again, either, so I had to revert. It worked properly this morning.

And also sorry for spamming up this thread, but...yeah, can't post on PYDT. :geno:

No idea to the former (it's locked me as well but for some reason I got more posts in before it happened), but on the latter thing, yeah. Byzant submitted a turn too, earlier in the day (I saw the turn thing on you), then after being down for a while, went back to Byzant's turn and forced that to be redone before it finally got back to you. PYDT had a bad day yesterday, apparently.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Regarding the spring goon Game: I'm currently away, I had to make a 2 day trip north of the country. I should be able to play my drat turn on friday. Sorry for the delay.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I assume the first two goon games are just dead, since no one has taken a turn in either one in weeks?

PBEM blows y'all, don't do it

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Efexeye posted:

I assume the first two goon games are just dead, since no one has taken a turn in either one in weeks?

I don't know about GG1-2, but GG3 is stuck due to Firaxis not coordinating releases with their Mac/Linux buddies. :argh:

It's almost enough to make me install Steam (and Civ6) inside Wine.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Efexeye posted:

PBEM blows y'all, don't do it

I was wondering how long before you popped in again to say this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TipTow posted:

I was wondering how long before you popped in again to say this.

well dude, so far, the only thing worse than PBEM is actually sitting in a real time session and playing together :) I mean, I gave it two weeks in between bitchings

when 4 of the people take their turns within a half hour and the other 2 wait 3 days it kinda slows things down. my experience with pbem has been poo poo.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I can't speak for game 1 but I can speak for games 2 and 3 and those are on hold because the Mac people still haven't received the patch. As far as I can tell, though, everyone is still on board. I'll be happy if you stick with us but I understand if you're frustrated and want to drop out. Just let me know in advance, please.

The newest game, Spring Goon Game, is actually progressing quite fine, averaging at about 1.5 whole turns per day. We've done 12 turns in a single week, quite nice. The slowdown in the other games isn't an inherent flaw of the PBEM system, it's an effect of the extreme waiting for patches.

In other words, PBEM isn't poo poo but cross-platform PBEM sure is.

Ulvino posted:

Regarding the spring goon Game: I'm currently away, I had to make a 2 day trip north of the country. I should be able to play my drat turn on friday. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the heads up. Next time maybe post into the game thread over at PYDT? I don't want to spam this thread with a discussion specific for a single PBEM game.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 12, 2017

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I haven't played this since the first month of release.

I know there have been a good variety of patches, tweaks, and whatnot since then. Was there any adjustment made to barbarian spawn rate, location, and tech? They were annoyingly ahead of the curve of almost every civ.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I haven't played this since the first month of release.

I know there have been a good variety of patches, tweaks, and whatnot since then. Was there any adjustment made to barbarian spawn rate, location, and tech? They were annoyingly ahead of the curve of almost every civ.

I had a game where I used great general Boudica to convert 4 barbarian swordsman, and those 4 swordsman still weren't enough to quell the barbarians.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Aaaaand I tried to install Steam in Wine (with the help of WineBottler), and it doesn't work. :argh:

I really should just assemble a Windows computer again...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

Aaaaand I tried to install Steam in Wine (with the help of WineBottler), and it doesn't work. :argh:

But you get so many advantages from whatever weird poo poo you do now. Can you really lose them?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The Human Crouton posted:

But you get so many advantages from whatever weird poo poo you do now. Can you really lose them?

I dunno, can you walk on Lake Michigan with concrete shoes? :v:

Not being angry at my computer all the time is actually pretty valuable to me.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I keep restarting games when I feel overwhelmed. Is that normal and how do I power through it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aerdan posted:

a) Steam works fine in Wine, I wonder what on earth you're doing wrong
b) Whyyyyy? Civ6 has a native client. Edit: is it to catch up with that PBEM game? That's dedication

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Serephina posted:

I think it's Civ6 itself that doesn't work in Wine because it uses DirectX11 and full support for that isn't there yet. At least when I tried a few months ago, the game would launch but only displayed a black screen. Unless things have changed, I stopped paying attention when the Linux port came out.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Serephina posted:

b) Whyyyyy? Civ6 has a native client. Edit: is it to catch up with that PBEM game? That's dedication

That's an excellent question, and what's happening is that steamwebhelper, the thing what apparently renders text, crashes when Steam starts up. Kinda makes it hard to work with it. Going to poke at it some more, but I may end up just installing VMWare Fusion.

EDIT: WineBottler is a piece of poo poo. Doing wine directly works just fine.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 14, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What about PlayOnLinux?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I tried being a Linux gamer for a while but eventually the Linux-specific bugs, having to wait for stuff that was already out on Windows, and the hoop-jumping you have to do to get some games to work wore me down.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aerdan posted:

Not being angry at my computer all the time is actually pretty valuable to me.

I think the only way to achieve that state is to never use computers. :)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

beergod posted:

I keep restarting games when I feel overwhelmed. Is that normal and how do I power through it?

Try a lower difficulty setting? Though when I do that I usually find that I stomp the computer, so I don't know if it's actually a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

beergod posted:

I had the same issue, and I finally realized that the only way I can enjoy Civ is on island plates maps with high sea level and about half the recommended number of civs. This insulates you from opponents in the early game, and allows you to jack up the difficulty to much higher levels to make the mid-end game more interesting.