Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Still kind of bizarre from a capitalist perspective because the profit margin on those things must have been insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

sinepost posted:

It looks terrible.

It's an Apple ][.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

yeah uh the point of real hardware isn't that it's official it's that it doesn't suck in the particular ways emulation does. the NES mini isn't even designed by nintendo it's some european company's emubox with nintendo's seal of approval on it. like this is some really dumb poo poo to get mad about mang

"some european company" is Nintendo European Research & Development.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hi, I prefer to play digital copies of games on my PS3, 3DS, or PC or some such system because I don't need to overpay for old hardware because of a stupid retro games bubble and all I can say about the discontinuation of the NES Class is: I'd rather just have all that on a Wii U.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Somehow in the year 2017 I continue to be shocked by Nintendo decisions and I really need to get over it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I mean I would buy an NES mini exclusively for the "don't talk to me or my son" joke but I'd probably never actually use it. Although that may just be because I dumped a bunch of money on an RGB famicom...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Kid Fenris posted:

The NES Classic is a neat little toy, and I am sad that people who want one won't be able to get one without paying stupid eBay money for it.

I managed to snag one from Best Buy but I wanted another one just to keep it for 30 years and never open it.

Eventually I got that other one from Amazon but my friend really wanted it so I gave it to her. Now they are discontinuing it?? Lame!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hopefully everyone who wanted it can get in on the last shipment although probably not because the announcement alone means stores will be scouted by scalpers.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

In Training posted:

If you want to play emulated NES games check out https://www.google.com

Oh my god.

All my favorites are on here!

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Welp, good news for people selling on Ebay then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XYZ posted:

Welp, good news for people selling on Ebay then.

Yeah, Australia just got a new shipment this week and it seemed like the scalpers had lost interest as they were easy to find for a couple days but they've just gone and cleaned them all out again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They're probably going to release a new one with eShop access for expandability.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
SNES Mini 2018, GBC Macro 2019, N64 Mini 2020.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

univbee posted:

Let's not forget this very thread's Secret Santa classics.

Yeah, that one I posted was mine from a few years back. I'm not a good artist. I was already in that folder for other reasons while I was reading the thread and I figured "why bother google image searching, I've got this thing right here"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.engadget.com/2012/08/06/modder-conjoins-two-n64-controllers-for-dual-analog-play-in-star/

This was too good not to share.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kramdar posted:

N64 Mini 2020.

The N64 Mini would be even more popular than the NES version. Not for the games, of course, but because everyone will finally have a source for usable N64 sticks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Random Stranger posted:

The N64 Mini would be even more popular than the NES version. Not for the games, of course, but because everyone will finally have a source for usable N64 sticks.

And decent N64 emulation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So that's how you get more of them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"some european company" is Nintendo European Research & Development.

That's the basic emulation engine, the rest of the machine, including the UI comes from a third party.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Actually to be fair I'm looking for where I originally got that info and can't find it. What I had heard was they contracted some company that's made other small embedded systems to design the motherboard and some other guys to do the UI but google is failing me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

Actually to be fair I'm looking for where I originally got that info and can't find it. What I had heard was they contracted some company that's made other small embedded systems to design the motherboard and some other guys to do the UI but google is failing me.

I can't remember their name either, but hasn't Nintendo basically farmed out the job of VC titles to them for the Switch?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't remember their name either, but hasn't Nintendo basically farmed out the job of VC titles to them for the Switch?

Are you thinking of M2? As far as I know that was only ever GBA (and maybe DS?) games on the Wii U.

They're also handling the Switch Seiken Densetsu collection.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nobody knows, people just assume, perhaps naively, that NERD is Nintendo's silver bullet based on NES Classic.

NERD handled DS emulation on Wii U but everything else was handled by other people.

d0s posted:

I don't know about the UI but I was told the hardware was initially conceived at NERD but the final spec was determined by the German (I think?) manufacturer in liaison with NOE - either way, I guess "Nintendo didn't make it" is true enough.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

of the people I know, I'm the only "hardcore" gamer I know that really wanted one. I have a stack of NES's and every game I like, plus an Everdrive N8. I still wanted one. Most of the people in my office wanted one, and a few were like "I just want it for Mario" but that's worth $60 to them if they could get one. as of today, I was the only one of us to procure one and its because I had a friend that's coming to visit grab one for me half a country away. (being as we work in an office it's not possible to be at target or walmart first thing in the morning to beat the scalpers even though we did keep track on brickseek)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is uncomfortable to look at.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

This is uncomfortable to look at.

All my instincts are telling me to shoot the space invader but I cannot.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This looks like the most inefficient Bat'leth ever.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

I AM THE TOILET posted:

It's an Apple ][.

Oh yeah, I don't mean "text adventures look terrible" or anything like that, I just mean the whole specific conception of translating something like First Blood Part II into a text adventure where you apparently type things like FIRE GUN is weird to me. It's like something some kid would do in BASIC because they didn't know how to do machine code and so it had to all be like a text adventure instead of an arcade game, except officially licensed and released by a relatively major publisher.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Vintersorg posted:

For a thread dedicated to playing things on original hardware there sure is a lot of bullshit being thrown out right now.

E: I understand the irony of saying that since the NES classic is just an emulation box but it was official.

i mean for as much as they were going for i figured it would just make more sense to grab an nes everdrive.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Also, new my life in gaming video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=998tBzpJhVo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Any recommendations for something cheaper than a Framemeister to go from s-video to HDMI?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zaphod42 posted:

Any recommendations for something cheaper than a Framemeister to go from s-video to HDMI?

ossc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anybody sell these things or I gotta build my own?

And from what little I've seen, it only takes composite and scart? I'm looking for S-video. And it puts out DVI? I need the audio to be integrated into the HDMI. Maybe that was an older version?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Does anyone know any known good RGB scart cables for the Wii? I'm tired of buying "REAL RGB Wii Cables!!!" from eBay and disputing them every time they turn out to just be composite.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nintendo's official ones are good, but I don't know about their availability (or cost) these days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm at the end of my wits with my Retropie. I had a very basic setup for NES and SNES games where I just had a scanline overlay, no shaders, and I was quite happy with how it looked. Then I updated the Retropie to the latest version and my overlays are gone, as in, the .cfg and .png files aren't even in the directory anymore. A fresh install (to a different MicroSD) confirmed that the overlays folder is empty by default. A bit of googling pointed me to this GitHub with overlay files, which look like the ones the Pie had before - I placed them in the right directory, made sure to enable and select overlays in the config files, but still nothing. Anyone know what might be going on there?

I officially spend far more time loving around with this thing than ever playing games on it. I suspect that's the true main mode of interaction.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm at the end of my wits with my Retropie. I had a very basic setup for NES and SNES games where I just had a scanline overlay, no shaders, and I was quite happy with how it looked. Then I updated the Retropie to the latest version and my overlays are gone, as in, the .cfg and .png files aren't even in the directory anymore. A fresh install (to a different MicroSD) confirmed that the overlays folder is empty by default. A bit of googling pointed me to this GitHub with overlay files, which look like the ones the Pie had before - I placed them in the right directory, made sure to enable and select overlays in the config files, but still nothing. Anyone know what might be going on there?

I officially spend far more time loving around with this thing than ever playing games on it. I suspect that's the true main mode of interaction.

This right here pretty much sums up why I like the NES mini and the idea of devices like it.

Sometimes is can be cool to dick around with stuff but I like being able to just sit down hit a button and it works.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well I don't have to rebuild the kernel if I want more games on it :v:

e: now that I think about it I might have done something to get these overlays on my original install other than just upload the cfg and png files. Can't remember if the image came with overlays.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 15, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ossc doesn't take s-video, be warned. It's usually much easier to go RGB SCART, though.

Edit: and again I can't be bothered to read the whole thread:

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody sell these things or I gotta build my own?

And from what little I've seen, it only takes composite and scart? I'm looking for S-video. And it puts out DVI? I need the audio to be integrated into the HDMI. Maybe that was an older version?

They sell them in batches from Video Game Perfection.

Yeah, it doesn't take S-video. It outputs DVI, which can be easily converted to HDMI (I use a cable). Out of the box, audio is separate and stays analog. You can buy a kit to merge the audio, but I don't think you can get it pre-installed. My TV accepts separate audio sources, so I don't really need it.

azurite fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My Lovely Horse posted:

For what it's worth, Retropie is way simpler to configure than retro arch and emustation from scratch. Its amazing by how much work has been done on both of those without any thought on ease of use.

• Locked thread