Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Fun fact: Rian Johnson mentioned watching Gunga Din as part of his research for working on Episode 8.

So look forward to Sith Lord Jar Jar Binks making his triumphant return :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

Anybody worried that the new movie will be like the prequels considering the director is a prequel fan?

As Cnut has mentioned, this would be nearly impossible given how ironic self-consciousness is now the sole sense of humor in the new movies, and part of what makes the prequels so anathema to modern audiences is that there is absolutely no winking at the camera whatsoever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

UmOk posted:

Anybody worried that the new movie will be like the prequels considering the director is a prequel fan?

You posting this here is like that guy from IMDB forums posting about his worries that Emma Watson might be transforming into a feminist... at jezebel.com

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I thought the humor in Rogue One was pretty solid and in line with the original six; the only self-referential joke in that is the "I have a bad feeling" one, and even that's treated more as a friendly homage than a self-conscious crack.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They could try their hardest to make something along the lines of the prequels and they still wouldn't reach that level.

It's a very special level of poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

UmOk posted:

It'll be an improvement over TFA

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

I thought the humor in Rogue One was pretty solid and in line with the original six; the only self-referential joke in that is the "I have a bad feeling" one, and even that's treated more as a friendly homage than a self-conscious crack.

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!" was the single worst line in any Star Wars movie.

I hope they can at least put some prequel stuff in this new movie. There's plenty of cool things that could be brought back.

edit: Coruscant, most obviously.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jewmanji posted:

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind!" was the single worst line in any Star Wars movie.
Why do you think that?

Also that's not really an example of "ironic self-consciousness", unless I really don't understand how you're using that phrase.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the line was funny enough on paper, but I wasn't crazy about the delivery.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Why do you think that?

Also that's not really an example of "ironic self-consciousness", unless I really don't understand how you're using that phrase.

I was referring to TFA more than Rogue One. It doesn't really apply to that line. But generally the humor in the new movies has had embedded in it the notion that everyone is playing dress-up and isn't this a little silly and we're all in Star Wars together teehee. It's also very modern in a way that I suspect will feel dated just a few decades from now (whereas the prequels felt deliberately and instantly "dated"). Think of the joke where Finn is flicking his chin at Han and saying "what is this? hm? why are you doing that?" It's undeniably funny, but not in the way that Star Wars has traditionally been.

That line in Rogue One was just lame and sounded like it was just added in punch up after filming had wrapped. Every single joke of K2SO's fell totally flat for me, and seemed just a shade away from some Star Wars Family Guy special.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Self-referential humor seems to be all over nerd poo poo now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes, nerd culture has essentially reduced the distance between the MST3K silhouettes and the screen to basically an asymptote. Everything has to be arch and self-aware or it risks being seen as earnest and "taking itself too seriously". It's a similar and related reason why a lot of people hate Terrence Malick: the dude doesn't have a cynical bone in his body and it really shows.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jewmanji posted:

I was referring to TFA more than Rogue One. It doesn't really apply to that line. But generally the humor in the new movies has had embedded in it the notion that everyone is playing dress-up and isn't this a little silly and we're all in Star Wars together teehee. It's also very modern in a way that I suspect will feel dated just a few decades from now (whereas the prequels felt deliberately and instantly "dated"). Think of the joke where Finn is flicking his chin at Han and saying "what is this? hm? why are you doing that?" It's undeniably funny, but not in the way that Star Wars has traditionally been.

That line in Rogue One was just lame and sounded like it was just added in punch up after filming had wrapped. Every single joke of K2SO's fell totally flat for me, and seemed just a shade away from some Star Wars Family Guy special.
Eh, that's fine, I won't argue something as subjective as humor. I guess I'm confused about saying that this is a feature of the new movies in general, rather than, as it sounds, a specifically TFA thing. I'd also be surprised if Rian Johnson relied on it too, given how in the past he's played something like Brick entirely straight.

Also the real comedic star of Rogue One is Krennic. :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

That got the most laughs in the theaters I went to when I watched Rogue One.

Also I don't know what's wrong with the delivery. It was fine to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://youtu.be/sE99le5FBrY

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shut up jivjov, i'm not crying. YOU'RE crying!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gonz posted:

Shut up jivjov, i'm not crying. YOU'RE crying!

Yeah; I really did cry.

Man; I hope her dog went to a loving home. What a lovely little pup. And I'm not a dog guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hear she's still alive in the rebooted Earth continuity.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
May she be happy trolling people in the afterlife.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

jivjov posted:

Yeah; I really did cry.

Man; I hope her dog went to a loving home. What a lovely little pup. And I'm not a dog guy.

Gary lives with her brother now, iirc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Trailer prediction: Luke Skywalker will cut a dude's face off with a huge gold lightsaber while Papa Roach's "Last Resort" plays over the clip.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Jewmanji posted:

This is a pretty boring post until you realize it's on the SomethingAwful.com forums, then it becomes hilarious self-referential comedy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Do we expect the new trailer today?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BigglesSWE posted:

Do we expect the new trailer today?

Almost certainly.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

jivjov posted:

Almost certainly.

Good answer. I like it. Now I'll impatiently refresh youtube for the upcoming hours I guess.

Fun fact: Good Friday is called "Långfredagen" in Swedish, meaning "Long Friday". Yeeeh.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

General Dog posted:

I hear she's still alive in the rebooted Earth continuity.

I want to move to the alternative universe where she's still alive because this one sucks. She was a national treasure who was underappreciated.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
'New' footage of the extended death star meeting scene from ANH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4WudpzBYw

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

drunkill posted:

'New' footage of the extended death star meeting scene from ANH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4WudpzBYw

Very cool! To hear "sith" in use as early as 1977!

Also, the voice of Prowse always cracks me up. So odd to hear.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Gold Leader drops an F-bomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkVUTEBMzUk

"You call yourselves human" Leia on deathstar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I7jAwuocMw
Tarkin blooper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xIBdWBou7w

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 14, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sith was in the anh script .

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/852868074134962176

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is the panel on now?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

jivjov posted:

Is the panel on now?

11AM Eastern

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sith Happens posted:

11AM Eastern

Thanks! It's gonna be a loooooong morning...

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

"Red Leader, this is Gold Leader. We're starting our attack run. ...aw gently caress, I'm sorry."

This is hilarious to me. Also I wasn't aware that Gold Leader was Canadian. :canada:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4X4N-8fEM
(international stream) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9_fwgjIpbY

E: JJ Abrahms got fat.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 14, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I respect Gad's enthusiasm but I don't know how much of him I can take.

Oh yes Kathleen, Rogue One was a huge risk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh yes Kathleen, Rogue One was a huge risk.

I mean...it kinda sorta was. A live action film not part of the main saga and lacking any of the existing main characters? It wasn't at risk of failure, but it was at risk of not being a huge freaking monumental success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

jivjov posted:

I mean...it kinda sorta was. A live action film not part of the main saga and lacking any of the existing main characters? It wasn't at risk of failure, but it was at risk of not being a huge freaking monumental success.

I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time it feels like you could tattoo the words STAR WARS on James Earl Jones' left buttcheek and people would pay out the nose to go see it.

• Locked thread