Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

thexerox123 posted:

You do know that the arcs that you personally prefer aren't therefore the "best" ones, right?

he literally does not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The press questions segment was a thing of beauty

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I really enjoy the storybuilding parts of the adventure zone, because it's fun listening to griffin write basically the first fiction story he's ever made (not counting grant andrews kid cop)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

kidcoelacanth posted:

The press questions segment was a thing of beauty

Like every name/publication/voice there was pure gold.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
think i might skip TAZ until they start the next campaign or whatever. i listened to about 20 minutes of the new episode and realised i just didn't care at all about any of Griffin's story and was actively having to fight off boredom to pay attention.

oh well, I've enjoyed the majority of it but this campaign story has overstayed it's welcome for me, even if i like all the characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoctorWhat posted:

gently caress ALL THIS

CARBOYS IS TERRIFYING TODAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKB2TXLegQ

Talk about The Hunger of All Living Things

I love how Carboys just flip flops between goofy fun things like busto and this blob. And just sort of semi-unsettling things like whatever was going on in the water. Also the beauty that was the crucified plane.

Martian Manfucker posted:

think i might skip TAZ until they start the next campaign or whatever. i listened to about 20 minutes of the new episode and realised i just didn't care at all about any of Griffin's story and was actively having to fight off boredom to pay attention.

oh well, I've enjoyed the majority of it but this campaign story has overstayed it's welcome for me, even if i like all the characters.

I love TAZ but yeah I get that feeling. What I love most about it is everyone's like goofy interactions. It's why the boston live episode there cracked me up so much because it was just a straight episode of them clowning around non-stop. The story can be fun and stuff, but when it starts taking over all the focus it's hard to be as into it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Given that we're reaching the end of the campaign (rapidly) I'm absolutely fine with more of a narrative bent than usual. Maybe it'd be more of an issue if everyone else on the podcast hadn't said they were 100% into the narrative and want to see where Griffin goes with it, but they did.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I like Griffin's story.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

dungeon world, but worse

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

I'm currently listening to the latest episode and I'm disinterested enough that I started browsing this thread while griffin monologues in the background. For as much as I've looked forward to TAZ in the past, I'm thinking about bouncing out as well. The podcast was great as a new format for the MBMBAM crew to goof around in, but now I feel like I'm listening to a dramatic reading of someone's terrible fanfiction.net page.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yall could at least wait until the podcast ends to drop these incisive post-mortems

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I don't envy the McElroys being in the position of their most popular (? Right?) podcast drawing different people for sometimes very different reasons. Like most people are on the same page with MBMBaM, definitely not the case with TAZ.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Yall could at least wait until the podcast ends to drop these incisive post-mortems

people are allowed to criticize things. A lot of people started listening to TAZ because they wanted to hear the funnymen goof around, and I don't think it's unreasonable that these same people are losing interest when the podcast drifts away from that. Some people really don't care that much about the narrative of someone's D&D campaign.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I do hope they go through with their dad's super hero idea mentioned way back next, though. Because that sounds like fun.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crocoswine posted:

people are allowed to criticize things.

????????????????????????????

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Still working my way backwards through mbmbam and it's weird the way you see time passing. Them announcing the TV show, relationship related stuff, but also small things - like this episode I'm listening to is when Rachel Rosen's last name changed to Rosen apparently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so what's TAZ supposed to be "lovely fanfiction" of if people are going to fling that around

Serf
May 5, 2011

It was the lowest-hanging fruit of all time but when Clint asked a question to Merle, I laughed so hard. Also Travis asking a question, then forgetting that he did it when Magnus had to answer.

I really felt Griffin on that part because there's been plenty of times when I had set up a scene with an little gimmick like that thinking the players would use it one way but then I ended up getting zagged on.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Definitely not a fan of this turn. Also it's really disingenuous of Griff to say he "made this game" when it's just the core mechanic of Dungeon World with parts stripped away.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean he does say that it is based in PBTA games. Dungeon World is itself a hack of Apocalypse World. There are tons of hacks done in the PBTA engine, so it's not like this is any different from other distinct games, except for the fact that it seems to just be made for TAZ.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

MTV Crib Death posted:

Definitely not a fan of this turn. Also it's really disingenuous of Griff to say he "made this game" when it's just the core mechanic of Dungeon World with parts stripped away.

I dunno, he has this planar setpiece/fixed number of years/accruing resources toward an endgame thing in mind. He dictates all the story and gives PbtA credit where it's due. He made this game that's powered by the apocalypse. :downs:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I imagine it's somewhat grating to the people really into tabletop stuff to hear Griffin say he made up a game system. It's almost certainly 100 times worse to hear every single TAZ listener falling over themselves praising him for it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

I imagine it's somewhat grating to the people really into tabletop stuff to hear Griffin say he made up a game system. It's almost certainly 100 times worse to hear every single TAZ listener falling over themselves praising him for it.

It's not really grating to hear someone say they made a PBTA game because lots of people use the engine to make games. It's no different from Dungeon World or Monsterhearts or Fellowship etc. really. I dunno what the fans think, but I'm sure it varies.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's basically made for hacks, like what he's doing. This makes a poo poo ton more sense than sticking to 5e.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Crocoswine posted:

Nah, speaking as someone who's written a few Apocalypse World-powered games it's always great to see someone trying their hand at game design. So long as they're not claiming it's some great revolutionary thing it's fine, and in Griffin's case he's taking great care to list his inspirations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Trying out new systems is actually a pretty standard thing for tabletop players. And thinking all fiction is fanfiction is pretty standard for goons, so there's no big shocks here basically

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nerds on the internet will always compare bad writing to fanfiction because they don't read enough to realize that their genre fiction is crap too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
all fiction is crap give up and read encyclopedias losers

Serf
May 5, 2011

If you enjoy a thing, that's really all that matters. My favorite movie of all time is Bad Boys 2, but that is in no way an endorsement of its quality (insofar that "quality" is an objective thing u can measure).

Listening to the Tres Horny Boys goof all over Griffin's world while sometimes getting caught up in it is enjoyable to me, so I'm enjoying The Stolen Century so far.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

all fiction is crap give up and read encyclopedias losers

I'm more of an almanac man.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Crocoswine posted:

I've been seeing way more complaints than praise, what are you talking about? Have you not been reading the thread?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The McElroy fanbase extends beyond this thread.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Touch The Skyrim V. 3.0

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Crocoswine posted:

The McElroy fanbase extends beyond this thread.

Thank goodness.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

poor life choice posted:

I dunno, he has this planar setpiece/fixed number of years/accruing resources toward an endgame thing in mind. He dictates all the story and gives PbtA credit where it's due. He made this game that's powered by the apocalypse. :downs:

All games are made of scenes. A setting is not a system.

I'm not trying to come down too hard on the guy, but his "system" doesn't pass the smell test of something different enough to call it a new game. It would be more accurate and honest to say that they are playing a hack. Justin's tweet of "holy crow guys my brother made a new game" doesn't help. Especially because the AZ fanbase is made up of many people who don't play tabletop games and won't immediately recognize the roots of PbtA. It feels off in a way that is in stark contrast to the way the McElroys usually operate--which is usually 100% genuine and forthright.

I also feel like it's a misstep to switch to a zoomed out type of game when the main draw of the show is four funny men acting with character voices. The whole fight with the bear scene was telling not showing. Like they were laying groundwork for a scene that would be fleshed out later but never will be. As someone else posted, Taako didn't say a goddamn thing in character. I'd love to see him bullshitting with a mongoose--that would be fun. Instead I got what boils down to a history lesson.

I get that Griffin wants to fill in this missing time. I do. But an experienced game master knows that backstory doesn't get filled in at the table. That's the kind of stuff you work together on between sessions and it just kind of floats in the background and informs the current game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

I'm not trying to come down too hard on the guy, but his "system" doesn't pass the smell test of something different enough to call it a new game. It would be more accurate and honest to say that they are playing a hack. Justin's tweet of "holy crow guys my brother made a new game" doesn't help. Especially because the AZ fanbase is made up of many people who don't play tabletop games and won't immediately recognize the roots of PbtA. It feels off in a way that is in stark contrast to the way the McElroys usually operate--which is usually 100% genuine and forthright.

It is possible that Justin, a guy who by his own admission doesn't know much about tabletop games, just honestly doesn't know the correct terminology in this case. And he doesn't really need to know it either to express his enthusiasm for his brother's game. I've been playing PBTA games with people for years who still refer to them as D&D, so it's not exactly uncommon.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

MTV Crib Death posted:

I also feel like it's a misstep to switch to a zoomed out type of game when the main draw of the show is four funny men acting with character voices. The whole fight with the bear scene was telling not showing. Like they were laying groundwork for a scene that would be fleshed out later but never will be. As someone else posted, Taako didn't say a goddamn thing in character. I'd love to see him bullshitting with a mongoose--that would be fun. Instead I got what boils down to a history lesson.

I get that Griffin wants to fill in this missing time. I do. But an experienced game master knows that backstory doesn't get filled in at the table. That's the kind of stuff you work together on between sessions and it just kind of floats in the background and informs the current game.

I think this is an argument that nobody wins. "Hacking" a tabletop system probably sounds like theft to people unfamiliar with it and he gave the source material its due. Fans gonna fan. He said he made a game that's a stripped down PbtA and that should be sufficient.

I agree that the tone shift was kind of awkward and unfortunate this late in a campaign but think it bodes well for the future of TAZ. If Griffin's GMing is only ever what we hear after he records for two hours every other week with his family then he's going to be slow to grow and improve. But he's doing it, you know? This is his first foray.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

monster factory is over now

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

holy loving poo poo. holy poo poo. oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Luneshot posted:

monster factory is over now

Counterpoint: Nick, Griffin, AND justin making monster factory