Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HAmbONE posted:

Well I finally finished the story and my question is this...

Why is there no QTE to tickle the Archon and "Who's a dirty little Maple Bar?"

huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

escalator dropdown posted:

What would have made this work is if those cryo pod perks actually gave narrative rewards instead of/in addition to the stat/material rewards. New pods could open up new sections of the Nexus or add new buildings to colonies, complete with new quests to go with them.
I'd prefer the Nexus not be any bigger than it is.

I always said I'd be fine with a ME game that is just about doing missions to make the galaxy a better place, and ME:A has enough tasks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Broshevik posted:

I actually quite enjoy this game but god drat if that wasn't the dumbest reason behind exile ultraviolence.

This was indeed stupid. It would have been much easier to explain the number of unstable personalities in the Initiative as massive fudging during the vetting process. There can't be that many people willing to go down for 600 years with no guarantee they'll ever wake up again. Sure, a handful will do it for zee science or adventure, but mostly you're going to get people running away from problems or who've got nothing left to lose. I totally would have bought that they needed open the floodgates to meet numbers required to fill out the Arks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

This was indeed stupid. It would have been much easier to explain the number of unstable personalities in the Initiative as massive fudging during the vetting process. There can't be that many people willing to go down for 600 years with no guarantee they'll ever wake up again. Sure, a handful will do it for zee science or adventure, but mostly you're going to get people running away from problems or who've got nothing left to lose. I totally would have bought that they needed open the floodgates to meet numbers required to fill out the Arks.

:agreed:

Poorly planned rush + signing up any random sucker who throws up their hand to round out the numbers is definitely a better explanation.

Heck you look at the scans of the arks you find and it's pretty clear shitloads of cryopods never even made it to the defrosting stage.

"Sell all your possessions, sign here, get in this cryopod and wake up in half a millennium maybe if the cheap wiring still works and the hull hasn't cracked"
(totally a science/colony expedition and not a cult, honest)

You'd expect all kinds of crazies would be ok with this and sign up anyway. Oh look they're still crazies in Andromeda, who would have guessed. Doesn't need the pseudoscience hand waving explanation that makes the bullshit-o-meter spike.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Space-magic question:

I probably missed it but how does the Tempest travel between clusters without mass effect relays?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not in any satisfying way.

She finds out you shouldn't meet your heroes. Wow. Is she like 12 years old?

I really couldn't understand why Cora was so upset. Sarissa made the the right call.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Space-magic question:

I probably missed it but how does the Tempest travel between clusters without mass effect relays?

It isn't. It's travelling between systems. The whole game is taking part in just the one cluster. (Heleus)

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I really couldn't understand why Cora was so upset. Sarissa made the the right call.

Exactly. It wasn't even remotely a grey issue apart from the human weeaboo girl upset that her hero wasn't perfect and had to make a hard call.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 14, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Same. I told Sarissa to tell the truth and then stood up for her. As if you wouldn't protect 20,000 civilians over 1 person.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Lying about it after the fact to keep her reputation though was not excusable. This is where the actual depth in Cora's storyline is found IMO, even if it's not that deep, as it's less "don't meet your heroes" and more the final nail that shows Cora she could not be more than XO material. She wouldn't have made the same call Sarissa would make. She knows that it was the right call, but her personal sense of loyalty means she doesn't see that, and she comes to terms with it at the end by trusting in Ryder's decision, either way, instead of doubting them because they got passed over for the job.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Even more space magic is that they can get rid of the static charge they've built up by 'using it to power their systems' which is the kind of non-understanding of how electricity works that I've come to expect from game developers.

Next they'll try to use a planet with a core near absolute zero for geothermal engineering I guess.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

DancingShade posted:

It isn't. It's travelling between systems. The whole game is taking part in just the one cluster. (Heleus)
Ahh alright, didn't realize that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Same. I told Sarissa to tell the truth and then stood up for her. As if you wouldn't protect 20,000 civilians over 1 person.

By the game's own logic that is the bad choice because without a Pathfinder they're just DOOMED! :qq:

To be mildly fair, possibly losing an Asari Matriarch is actually something to give pause over considering they've accumulated 700-900-odd years of wisdom and insight. Especially one with the reputation their Pathfinder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

It just occured to me -- I really can't remember any piece of music from ME:A other than the main menu music

occasionally there's this little motif that sounds weirdly like "The Dawn Will Come" from DAI on trombone

this is kinda perplexing because all other Mass Effects had amazing music!

There is some decent music in the game, it just comes and goes and never makes a huge impression.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hey ya missed, pyjak

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Even more space magic is that they can get rid of the static charge they've built up by 'using it to power their systems' which is the kind of non-understanding of how electricity works that I've come to expect from game developers.

Oh that's dumb I thought it must be some sort of extremely slow process using the interstellar medium that makes sense over a 600 year journey.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

what are the tubes for?

Cellular entertainment. If your cells have water slides to entertain them your organs will never become bored, and thus you will never die.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DancingShade posted:

Poorly planned rush + signing up any random sucker who throws up their hand to round out the numbers is definitely a better explanation.

Heck you look at the scans of the arks you find and it's pretty clear shitloads of cryopods never even made it to the defrosting stage.

"Sell all your possessions, sign here, get in this cryopod and wake up in half a millennium maybe if the cheap wiring still works and the hull hasn't cracked"

You'd expect all kinds of crazies would be ok with this and sign up anyway. Oh look they're still crazies in Andromeda, who would have guessed. Doesn't need the pseudoscience hand waving explanation that makes the bullshit-o-meter spike.

IIRC the one Turian in multi you can play as has a description that's more or less "probably a war criminal".

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Bravest Warriors, a cartoon show about a space team trying to tame the great unknown. I liked it and the stories are better than ME:A

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By the game's own logic that is the bad choice because without a Pathfinder they're just DOOMED! :qq:

This is especially funny because every single Pathfinder from the Milky Way (except possibly Raeka) is killed within hours of reaching Andromeda. They entire Initiative is depending on four people who weren't expecting or trained for the job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DancingShade posted:

The problem is that Mass Effect is a setting that has all the technology necessary for the Andromeda Initiative down to a science. And I mean like off-the-shelf bulk-buy science. The only remotely experimental thing in this expedition is SAM. The bullshit meter spikes pretty high on just basic "typical" technology failing because story drama when there's likely literally millions of people kicking off to lovely unexplored worlds on a yearly basis to go establish colonies without loving it up royally. An initiative like this just should not fail this stupidly even if they're just grabbing volunteers off the street.

Besides, the crazies who ditched the Nexus are the ones that established colonies on multiple planets, and established trading ties with Angara people. The Nexus chose to cross their fingers and settle an irradiated hellhole instead. Twice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC the one Turian in multi you can play as has a description that's more or less "probably a war criminal".

I mean, aren't we all kinda war criminals, in a way? If you really think about it?

By trying to force ourselves to enjoy this dreadful game, I mean.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The quest on Voeld (discovering the past?) where you find the ancient AI under the ice. I thought I'll save it and send it to Nexus for study, but it seems like that just made everyone mad. Does this actually come into play later or was the point just get angry e-mails from Evfra and Kesh?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Drifter posted:

I mean, aren't we all kinda war criminals, in a way? If you really think about it?

I enjoyed the game. I mean, it met my kind of medium to low expectations. It scratched a Mass Effect itch involving having a ship and running around and saving the galaxy with your crew and the combat is fun.

But literally everything else is either "meh" at best or just flat out bad at worst.

TeaJay posted:

The quest on Voeld (discovering the past?) where you find the ancient AI under the ice. I thought I'll save it and send it to Nexus for study, but it seems like that just made everyone mad. Does this actually come into play later or was the point just get angry e-mails from Evfra and Kesh?

Edit: Nope. Letting the Angaran's keep the AI apparently has a minor effect on final mission. But ultimately keeping the AI has no meaningful effect on the outcome of anything. You get to have a creepy as gently caress conversation with it once it's in SAM Node tho where it's barely trying to keep a secret it's desire to kill all the lifeforms on the space station.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 14, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

TeaJay posted:

It hangs out in SAM's room and hits on him for the rest of the game, which is pretty great

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It hangs out in SAM's room and hits on him for the rest of the game, which is pretty great

and then it disappears when the Hyperion lands on Meridian

so does your twin, come to think of it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also this

My Ryder just has this dopey, confused look on his face the whole time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao the coma-talking scene.

"Hey bro you're in a coma but we're talking somehow, dad's dead the nexus is broke and all the worlds are hosed"

"Noooo I want to go back to the coma"

Oops. :v:

The funniest part was despite being in a coma he made a sad face

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 14, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Ryder The Genocider.

Is what they'll call BMX Ryder in the history books after the kett are extinct.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Ryder The Genocider.

Is what they'll call BMX Ryder in the history books after the kett are extinct.

Xenocider. :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

And a pathfinder combat suit covered in energy drink logos :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd prefer the Nexus not be any bigger than it is.

I always said I'd be fine with a ME game that is just about doing missions to make the galaxy a better place, and ME:A has enough tasks.

The thing is after banging on about how big it is it would be nice to see that in any sort of way. It feel like the nexus is actually two quite large rooms and that's it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Edit: Nope. Letting the Angaran's keep the AI apparently has a minor effect on final mission. But ultimately keeping the AI has no meaningful effect on the outcome of anything. You get to have a creepy as gently caress conversation with it once it's in SAM Node tho where it's barely trying to keep a secret it's desire to kill all the lifeforms on the space station.
Wait, it still wants to kill all life even if you give it what it wants?

I feel better about handing it over to the Angarans now. If you do that you can find it sulking (literally) in the resistance headquarters on Aya.

Probably should've just shot the ungrateful bastard.

e: how did that happen?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Taear posted:

The thing is after banging on about how big it is it would be nice to see that in any sort of way. It feel like the nexus is actually two quite large rooms and that's it.

It was better than ME3's Citadel and the million laps you had to take around it, but that's not really a high bar.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DancingShade posted:

And a pathfinder combat suit covered in energy drink logos :v:
So, tasteful and understated compared to the Heleus defender armour?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Finally beat the game last night.

Game feels disjointed as hell. I don't remember who like half of these cameos are. So many plot threads left open.

I do hope your Ryder twin becomes a squad mate.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

hey ya missed, pyjak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTMqcQ73FAw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

So, tasteful and understated compared to the Heleus defender armour?

That's the armor that needs all the logos and stuff added onto it.

Maybe some physics animated gold chains, a cape and perhaps a plumed helmet too.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Taear posted:

I kept waiting for new floors to open

like they crammed an awful lot of stuff into those two floors, which is why the strategically essential Hyrdroponics section is also the one with a bar in it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

That's the armor that needs all the logos and stuff added onto it.

Maybe some physics animated gold chains, a cape and perhaps a plumed helmet too.

Heleus Defender is such amazing looking gear, but I never knew how much I wanted a cape added to it. They could hang it on that giant ring around the back of the neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AngryBooch posted:

Finally beat the game last night.

Game feels disjointed as hell. I don't remember who like half of these cameos are. So many plot threads left open.

I do hope your Ryder twin becomes a squad mate.

I hope the twin is the main character in MEA2, while the Pathfinder is off doing something else. Opens it up for new squadmates, new ship, & new relationships without needing to explain where everyone else went.

Then at the end of the game you have to pick one of them to die and the other is your character in MEA3. :getin: