Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Ehh the combat in UrW isn't nearly as detailed as the combat in DF. But UrW has a much bigger survival aspect. You can't go days without eating and you can't throw vomit at a lethal speed and take off the head of a bronze colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Ehh the combat in UrW isn't nearly as detailed as the combat in DF. But UrW has a much bigger survival aspect. You can't go days without eating and you can't throw vomit at a lethal speed and take off the head of a bronze colossus.

Like you said, it's mainly focused on survival and self sustainment, whereas DF is balls to the walls bonkers and has a super detailed fighting system. I'll admit I prefer DF's fighting system, cause it's just so enjoyable, but UrW has a much better UI in my opinion (it just feels easier to navigate) and the survival aspect makes it last longer in terms of enjoyment. Adventure Mode in DF usually has me getting bored and trying to wipe out a village (and failing).

Just thought I'd let people know, cause it's definitely got the same vibes as DF Adventure. Plus, it's free. You can't go wrong with that. I remember back in the day it used to be a little expensive.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Loopoo posted:

I remember back in the day it used to be a little expensive.

*cough*
Hall of Fame page on the UrW website
*cough*

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Loopoo posted:

If any of you lot love DF Adventure mode, check out Unreal World. It's paid for on Steam, but is completely free on their website. It's pretty much a hugely beefed up Adventure mode, but with hunger, thirst and survival in mind. You can set up your own little homesteads in the form of a twiddly little temporary shelter, or a permanent log cabin. Fish by the lake, go out tracking to hunt prey, take your goods back to local villages to barter for better tools and weapons. Hunt men, buy a trusty doggo companion to help you in your adventures.

Stock up on goods in before the brutal Winter sets in. Keep on top of your food production in the form of farming, and smoking meat you hunt. You can survive on agricultural means just by itself, you need protein to balance out your diet. It's really good fun, and hunkering down over Winter and just carving utensils and expanding your log cabin because it's too cold and dangerous to do anything else is a really homey feeling. Then Spring sets in and you're back at it.

It's a loving solid game. I walked on the lake by my house whilst it was frozen over, I'd spent all spring doing this. But now it's summer, the ice was thawing. It broke. I fell in. I drowned. RIP.

That sounds like all the worst parts of adventure mode

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good parts of adventure mode: getting drunk and arguing with poets, murdering monsters and becoming famous, stealing books from necromancers, going around feeding people vampire blood

Bad parts of adventure mode: sharpening rocks to butcher animals that you can only carry 10 meat of before you're overencumbered

Qubee
May 31, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

*cough*
Hall of Fame page on the UrW website
*cough*

aww yee

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Unreal World is quite sweet. I liked the starting scenarios, something only RimWorld does as interestingly in a modern game. I seem to remember a super annoying feature where the logs were immovable without a ferry so you could only build on coastlines.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

Unreal World is quite sweet. I liked the starting scenarios, something only RimWorld does as interestingly in a modern game. I seem to remember a super annoying feature where the logs were immovable without a ferry so you could only build on coastlines.

You can roll logs one by one at pretty much normal speed. Rolling two or more gets progressively tougher, and requires a few minutes per tile. You can buy animals now, though, and I'm not sure how feasible it would be using them as pack animals. Stick a few logs on them and build anywhere you want. This game sorta forces you to build near water, though, because there's no way to source water from the ground. I'd find it really annoying if I had to run to a water source every time to drink, I'd rather just have it right beside my cabin. I think it's dumb that you can't harvest snow and melt it in an iron pot.

I found a wounded guy in a village, he'd been attacked by a bear. Wanted me to go grab his stuff from his shelter and he'd teach me bow skills (the lying fucker didn't, I gained nothing in my bow skill!). I hired a local villager and we headed out: him, my trusty doggo and myself. Ended up finding the location, blood everywhere, bear roars and charges us. I get attacked, but managed to dodge. I'll kill the suspense right now by saying I sucked so much in the fight and barely did anything, whilst this peasant I hired with a rough javelin I gave him was knocking off perfect strikes constantly, basically just loving this bear's day up. My wee doggo was also pretty helpful.

Managed to kill the beast, and skinned it and butchered it. Set up a temporary shelter so I could find my way back to grab the guy's handaxe (I wanted to get all the meat to my cabin to smoke it ASAP). I realised my wounds were pretty grisly, and I didn't have any cloth to turn into bandages. My eyes settled on Hannu, my village helper... I stabbed him in the face with my spear, blinding him in one eye, then I counterstruck his following attack and stabbed him in the abdomen. Blood was pouring out of him and he lay on the ground, slowly dying, whilst my dog jerked furiously at his neck. I stole all his clothes, turned most of it into bandages, and then tried to get my dog to eat the body to hide all evidence, to finally put an end to it's annoying barking in hunger. Dog had standards and refused to eat human, whatever. When I next returned to the village I got him from, everyone refused to work with me until they saw Hannu return... Oops.

I'm download DF now to play some Adventure mode, I miss DF's combat system, it's so much more rewarding.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Unreal World is a great concept that I'll never play because of the garbage tankman controls

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
People are complaining in the Dwarf Fortress thread about a different game's inferior controls? That almost makes me want to play it just to see.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Unreal World is a lot of fun. Build a cabin, trap game, make clothing from furs. Explore around, sail canoes. Become a cannibal and maraud local villages for their tools and meat. :black101:

It's satisfying laying out a bunch of spike trap pits and then attacking a village. Everyone who can fight comes out to beat your head in but you just keep retreating and leading them into your field of traps (just don't walk into your own pit).

The combat isn't as detailed but what I find interesting about it is that even at your best, you're still just one dude with some pretty lovely weapons. You can maybe take on 2-4 depending on what they've got and how good they are but you'll come away pretty badly hurt. More than that is certain death. It's way more about outwitting your foes to me. Stalking them until they camp for the night then silently attacking from the shadows, picking off stragglers then retreating and circling back, tricking them into traps, etc.

Controls are a bit wonky but whatever you get used to it quickly.

e: Also if you haven't played Liberal Crime Squad it's pretty fun, too.

ee: I haven't played Unreal World in a while so idk what's new but my wish for that game is to be able to somehow start a little village of your own, or at least just like 2-3 people with you and assign them to basic stuff like fishing or farming or smoking/salting meat. Kinda run things while I'm out hunting or exploring.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
(Sorry in advance for the derail)

I started up a new fortress today, played through the fall, and the outpost liaison shows up as usual. Except the outpost liaison is a goblin.

I looked up my civ and it turns out that the king of the dwarves is a goddamn goblin. :staredog:

Gonna need to root around in legends mode and see just how in the hell that happened.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

I started up a new fortress today, played through the fall, and the outpost liaison shows up as usual. Except the outpost liaison is a goblin.

I looked up my civ and it turns out that the king of the dwarves is a goddamn goblin. :staredog:

Gonna need to root around in legends mode and see just how in the hell that happened.

How is this a derail? Kill the king iMovie, promote a random cheese maker to the throne.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please get back to us on that. It might be awesome like that elf who Conaned his way to king of dwarfs.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unreal World is a great concept that I'll never play because of the garbage tankman controls

They added an option for basic roguelike controls.

I still use tank man bc facing direction matters

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Addamere posted:

How is this a derail? Kill the king iMovie, promote a random cheese maker to the throne.

Why would he want to get rid of the Goblin King?

Edit the files to name him Jareth, and you are good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hihohe posted:

Please get back to us on that. It might be awesome like that elf who Conaned his way to king of dwarfs.

i want to hear this story

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm going to point you to Cacame Awemedinade Monípalóthi, the Immortal Onslaught.

Cacame ascended to the rank of Elf King of the Dwarves. The story of his rise to glory has been chronicled in an epic 60+ page thread on the Bay 12 Games forum that includes original artwork, economic discussions, raw edits, world gen randomness, Chuck Norris jokes, Battletech references, and a Cacame-themed megaproject.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

"The Creation of Ferns" dwarven civilization and Cacame's former "Field of Kindling" elven civilization were at war for many years, with the dwarves systematically defeating the elves for decades.

In 90, the dwarves conquered his home city of "Oily Typhoon" and placed a new dwarven governor in charge.
Cacame was 7 at the time, and 5 years later, at the ripe old age of 12, he became a Guard.
Two years later, an elven attack from the Field of Kindling's city of Fish of Magic injured him in the lower body and killed his wife Nemo Ruyavaiyici (who was then eaten by Amoya Themarifa, the elf who killed her).
Maddened with grief, Cacame set off to the nearest front as soon he healed enough to fight.

During his first combat he took up his fallen commander's legendary warhammer and slew many elves with it, being noted as the battle's fiercest and deadliest warrior; for his deeds, the dwarves' second-in-command acknowledged that Cacame would best put the warhammer to use and should keep it.

Two years after that, in 99, the Battle of Both Kings was fought.
In this battle Cacame struck down King Nithe of Field of Kindling (who was finished off by another dwarf called Sibrek Handpages, though); however the other king slain was the dwarven king himself.

The dwarves decided that Cacame, by now dubbed "The Immortal Onslaught", should take over as their king.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Goblin king update: I got no migrants, no caravan and no liaison in year 2. The civilizations screen still shows various nobles, the liaison is still listed as alive, etc., though they're all goblins. I guess my civilization was conquered by goblins? Or something?

Oh well, I'll just tunnel straight down to HFS and send my dwarves into the long night the dwarfy way :black101:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Goblin king update: I got no migrants, no caravan and no liaison in year 2. The civilizations screen still shows various nobles, the liaison is still listed as alive, etc., though they're all goblins. I guess my civilization was conquered by goblins? Or something?

Oh well, I'll just tunnel straight down to HFS and send my dwarves into the long night the dwarfy way :black101:

IIRC Goblins are immortal, so I wouldn't be surprised if that goblin joined your civilization the same as Cacame did and then wound up becoming king simply through seniority.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tollymain posted:

i want to hear this story

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This wasn't posted:

Toady posted:

04/12/2017 Now, on top of the rescued prisoners, we've finally got our first artifact "retrieval", though it wasn't mine. So I guess it was stealing. Bad dwarves! I sent three of them to sneak into a human town, and they brought back the sanctified skull of the first priest from the moon temple as well as a perfect gemstone from the lord's castle... when my heroic soldiers got back they just pitched the skull on the ground (ongoing issues!). I also cleaned up additional new problems with the noble/military screens, and an issue that came up with assigning museums as sub-rooms of taverns/temples, etc.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I did it, you guys. I did it. I started playing without a tilse set and I can actually understand things. It's not pretty, but it's not the mind-melting soup of typographical symbols like it used to be!

gently caress keas.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

LSD at the gangbang posted:

I did it, you guys. I did it. I started playing without a tilse set and I can actually understand things. It's not pretty, but it's not the mind-melting soup of typographical symbols like it used to be!

gently caress keas.

My id is posting. Get back in my head, id.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

gently caress keas.

if you ever want to reminisce with that red-hot-screwdriver-in-my-frontal-lobe sensation, just switch character sets to something considerably different, size or legibility

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

gently caress keas.

If you're​ using one of the official ASCII sets on a large res I highly recommend a set based on the official ones, like Myne, that enlarges the characters without really changing them.

I pretty much stick to CLA which is based on the ASCII set with minor changes and a graphics set for objects if you use TWBT. I love the traditional ASCII style for fixed objects, but the overrides for dwarves and creatures adds a ton.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The only thing I don't like about ASCII is when you engrave a wall it looks like garbage.

I do use Taffer's 20x20 tilesets anyways.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I don't mind the ASCII, but I need it to be in squares. I think I've got Talyrth installed on my old laptop.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

The only thing I don't like about ASCII is when you engrave a wall it looks like garbage.

I do use Taffer's 20x20 tilesets anyways.

Isn't there a setting for ASCII to make engraved walls look all the same ?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spacefox is cute

try it!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

EVIL Gibson posted:

Isn't there a setting for ASCII to make engraved walls look all the same ?

That's tileset independent. You can hide engravings by default in the settings.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Forgot to make sure the floodgate was actually hooked up to the lever before mining out the last tile to tap the river.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Forgot to make sure the floodgate was actually hooked up to the lever before mining out the last tile to tap the river.

They'll still hook it up from the dry side. The only issue is if you forget to place the floodgate before opening up a hole to the river.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys know the story, but it's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWf6BHqiWM

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The video says the cats were cleaning a full mug of beer off each paw... but wasn't it actually a full keg's worth?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Iunnrais posted:

The video says the cats were cleaning a full mug of beer off each paw... but wasn't it actually a full keg's worth?

No, probably "one drink" worth. Keep in mind, when you inspect a barrel with drink in it, you see it containing e.g. "dwarven beer[6]" with the number being number of drinks remaining. So the spatter on a cat's paw was treated as the same amount as "one drink" worth, for the purpose of calculating effects.

(As a side effect, I'd suppose that if you could pour half of one mug into another mug, you'd suddenly have two full mugs worth of drink.)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zesty posted:

You guys know the story, but it's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWf6BHqiWM
Yeah cats walking in the vampire blood, then drunkenly falling in fortress water reserve when there are wounded dwarves around, the that's gonna be funny.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah cats walking in the vampire blood, then drunkenly falling in fortress water reserve when there are wounded dwarves around, the that's gonna be funny.

I wish you could run the simulation(the world creation part) again after you leave a fortress. You know, start one, leave it, let the sim run for 50 years, then come back and start a new one(or even reclaim the old one)

You could create a vampire cat apocalypse.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I didn't flood my fort! :toot:
My former chief medical dwarf reacted to being replaced by a more skilled candidate by declaring herself queen of Portalsaved though, so I might figure out how to drown her anyway.

And a forgotten beast just showed up. Yesss.
It was made of snow and got punched apart pretty quickly.

LSD at the gangbang fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My former chief medical dwarf reacted to being replaced by a more skilled candidate by declaring herself queen of Portalsaved though, so I might figure out how to drown her anyway.

This is a better plot than most of the later seasons of House or Grey's Anatomy. Would watch.