Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I dunno, maybe the automatic month-to-month rollover is meant to keep landlords from kicking people out of their homes the day their lease ends or something. :shrug:

P. much, that and to protect landlords from people bailing at the last minute, which improves the rental market and lowers the costs of rentals for prospective tenants.. Unfortunately, we all have to share the same laws with every other dickbag and fuckup, so things that work for certain people are working against you in this situation.

But really, PM Shakeman - he's the only one who can tell you the right information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Any one of you can terminate the lease and that termination is likely effective for everyone. Your fellow tenants cannot compel you to stay locked into a contract that you have the right to withdraw from (nor can you leave them in a position where they're suddenly on the hook for the other 1/3 of the rent - the lease just ends after your notice becomes effective).

Thanks. So, even if the lease had converted to month to month (it hasn't), three tenants on a lease should generally not be treated as a single tenant and don't all need to agree to terminate the lease? I've read some conflicting information on this.

I'm sure it'll work out either way, but I'm curious if I should be prepared to hear that argument from the landlord.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So I got a roommate evicted from my place a couple months back because he lied about having a job and didn't pay rent. He never changed his mailing address, and while I've been marking his mail as "return to sender not at this address", he's been constantly calling the police telling them that he's been refused entry to his place of residence and showing up at my door trying to presumably collect his mail (aka trying to get back inside). I've already scheduled a legal consultation about this whole deal. However, until this is handled, I don't see him stopping making visits with officers.

My question is, what is the absolute minimum I should tell the police to make these visits as fast as possible? I've got a copy of the eviction notice right on hand at the front door that I show them, but is a speech like "So-and-so was evicted on X date, all mail has been marked return to sender, and he is not allowed inside the house" good enough?

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 14, 2017

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Fwiw, I can see Ludwig's side.

Where I live it's assumed that the lease ends on a specific date and month to month only kicks in if the tenant hasn't vacated the premises by that date.

It seems logical to me, what's the point of establishing an end date on the lease if I have to notify you again before leaving on that date.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I agree with what you're saying, but if the lease has a notification or holdover provision, then it's pretty clear.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Fwiw, I can see Ludwig's side.

Where I live it's assumed that the lease ends on a specific date and month to month only kicks in if the tenant hasn't vacated the premises by that date.

It seems logical to me, what's the point of establishing an end date on the lease if I have to notify you again before leaving on that date.

The end date is so that the landlord can't just kick you out whenever they want to.

Unless you're in Oregon, then you're hosed (at least in the regard.)

Like, my mind is blown that you people (who are tenants) are so mad at these laws which exist entirely to protect you!

It's like "Oh old Scrooge McDuck the slumlord isn't allowed to totally gently caress me over but in exchange I have to send one tiny little email or text or whatever before I move out, what a loving inconvenience I guess I'll just move to North Korea or something."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

The end date is so that the landlord can't just kick you out whenever they want to.

Unless you're in Oregon, then you're hosed (at least in the regard.)

Like, my mind is blown that you people (who are tenants) are so mad at these laws which exist entirely to protect you!

It's like "Oh old Scrooge McDuck the slumlord isn't allowed to totally gently caress me over but in exchange I have to send one tiny little email or text or whatever before I move out, what a loving inconvenience I guess I'll just move to North Korea or something."

Well it is poor drafting not to have a line explicitly stating whether or not the lease terminates at end period or continues unless notice is given.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Control Volume posted:

So I got a roommate evicted from my place a couple months back because he lied about having a job and didn't pay rent. He never changed his mailing address, and while I've been marking his mail as "return to sender not at this address", he's been constantly calling the police telling them that he's been refused entry to his place of residence and showing up at my door trying to presumably collect his mail (aka trying to get back inside). I've already scheduled a legal consultation about this whole deal. However, until this is handled, I don't see him stopping making visits with officers.

My question is, what is the absolute minimum I should tell the police to make these visits as fast as possible? I've got a copy of the eviction notice right on hand at the front door that I show them, but is a speech like "So-and-so was evicted on X date, all mail has been marked return to sender, and he is not allowed inside the house" good enough?

Was he evicted by a court or did you just kick him out?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Was he evicted by a court or did you just kick him out?

This is pretty loving vital, lol.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Control Volume posted:

I've got a copy of the eviction notice right on hand at the front door that I show them

That's no guarantee it's from the courts, obviously, but it would also be pretty weird to show them some handwritten note paper saying "You're evicted" and call it an "eviction notice"

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure you all have seen someone claim exactly that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

That's no guarantee it's from the courts, obviously, but it would also be pretty weird to show them some handwritten note paper saying "You're evicted" and call it an "eviction notice"

Then again, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure you all have seen someone claim exactly that.

I've absolutely seen one before.

Edit: 2 actually!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Gotta love DIY lawyering. Had a guy walk in with a homemade pre-nup. Had to stop myself from laughing in his face.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

This is why I asked. It sounded like he just kicked the dude out, which is probably illegal depending on jurisdiction.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, I was all set to hit post after just typing the first line, then I remembered the horrors I've seen in these 600 pages, and added the second line.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lol its a legal cluster gently caress on my end (informal agreement for him to stay there a bit to get on his feet, he didn't have a key, formal 3 day notice given, no court order because I didn't know that was a thing which is why I'm lawyering up now) so I've basically accepted the fact that I might have to dole out some money if he challenges it and a lawyer wants to touch this at all

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I can't wait for the E/N thread

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ah poo poo I gotta prep for e/n ? *ahem* I did nothing wrong and I think I can now handle this without a lawyer

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh god

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I just changed the locks and put all his belongings into a bonfire, what's the big deal

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Did you gently caress his mother/brother/cat?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So you orally agreed to take on a tenant then kicked him out without due process. If he came to me, I could have an order getting him reentry within one hour.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

drat. I'm assuming the order for reentry would mean that he could squat here until I went through due process. Assuming he goes this route, would I be drafting up a new 3-day notice and then getting the court order for the actual eviction or is the current 3-day notice good enough (probably not but worth asking)?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
JFC. If you live in a state that would consider him a tenant and not a boarder this could get super ugly for you. Even as a boarder you're probably screwing up. Changing the locks on a tenant is a crime that will dump a landlord in hot water quick.

FWIW the cops aren't going away because you're "right" or "have a notice" or whatever you think, they're going away because they consider this a civil matter (which it is) not a criminal one. When it becomes criminal is when he goes to the tenant union and they give him Hot Dog Day's phone number and get a court order.

And then it is you who is (probably) the criminal.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Maybe you should team up with that other guy who's forging signatures on stuff and get an "agreement" made that the guy moved out voluntarily

Or change the locks back and gaslight the dude

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive actually got a complicated system of lock changing where four different locks are rotated to be used on the door at any given time. The agreement that I forged with his signature has him agreeing to this condition so I think I've got a solid case here.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

A pro tip is to write all your motions in size 8 font single space. Also, just title them whatever you want, no cares.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

EwokEntourage posted:

A pro tip is to write all your motions in size 8 font single space. Also, just title them whatever you want, no cares.

Wingdings?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Wingdings?

I prefer Webdings, but as long as you file it as a non-ocr'd PDF, or perhaps a picture of a PDF saved in TIF format, you should be fine

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jokes aside I would really prefer if he took this to court and we get a legal settlement over the whole matter over calling the cops constantly. I'm going to have a lawyer yell at me in real life about exactly how I hosed up and how to fix it, I'm just looking for what I need to tell the police so they don't sit at the door for 5 minutes asking questions that I've answered multiple times.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

blarzgh posted:

I retract my statement, and salute the well honed BS detectors of blarzgh and Hot Dog Day.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It was an official county form, my fuckup was being ignorant of the follow-up required afterwards

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Control Volume posted:

It was an official county form, my fuckup was being ignorant of the follow-up required afterwards

Go talk to a lawyer or Google "how to evict my tenant" in your state. The cops hate dealing with this poo poo but Im not going to tell you how to lie to them. Tenants rights exist for a reason, even if your former roommate is a jerk.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Just move and don't leave a forwarding address. Done.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The first line reads "Move out by Sat at"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is that seriously signed "The Constable"?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

KillHour posted:

Is that seriously signed "The Constable"?

Yes. It was up on a neighbors door a few months ago.

Not sure if the constable or the landlords put it up.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Plausible that it's either tbh. What state?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Plausible that it's either tbh. What state?

IN, hence the confusion.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
That note appears to be written over a notice to vacate dated February 27th and it's stamped as filed, so I'm guessing that despite the laughable grammar they're probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Unload My Head posted:

That note appears to be written over a notice to vacate dated February 27th and it's stamped as filed, so I'm guessing that despite the laughable grammar they're probably fine.

There wasn't a Judge's signature on it.