Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh wow, this is out now? Holy poo poo, it's already the middle of April :psyduck: :wtf:

I'm trying to restrict myself to one episode a week but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just caught Patton reusing a joke from his standup in the riffs

<:mad:>

(For reference, it's the jokes about Fudgey the Whale, and turning the cake pan)

yeah that seemed weird and out of place

also, the movie for episode 2 :psyduck: I'm only like 18 minutes in, and they're either editing out transition scenes, or this movie has the worst continuity lapses I've ever seen

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I dunno, making fun of Fudgey the Whale felt like classic MST to me. Just poking fun at one of those weird things everyone knows about but never remembers until it's brought up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

(For reference, it's the jokes about Fudgey the Whale, and turning the cake pan)

To be fair

How many times did Joel reuse his stand up jokes?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm not actually upset. I actually laughed harder because I recognized it.

Now, if they make jokes about KFC's famous bowls, I'm out.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
New Crow is solid, he sounds like the old one and manages to match the personality. New Tom isn't working for me so far and doesn't have the range of Kevin. Don't have much of an opinion on Jonah or Felicia yet but Patton feels like he fits right in.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

omg the indian head statue

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ramadu posted:

Oh my god the ending of Cry Wilderness :psyduck: That might be the most insane movie from rifftrax/mst3k outside of I dunno, santa and the easter bunny. What on earth did I just watch.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Cry Wilderness has the same flavor as I Believe in Santa Claus from Rifftrax. A movie where the people behind it decide that being batshit is the same as whimsy and go overboard. At least I Believe in Santa Claus (which is about Santa rescuing a child's parents from an African warlord) has the excuse of being European.

Gaz-L posted:

It's jarring, but I like Gypsy's voice now being done by an actual lady, not a guy doing a terrible falsetto. She comes off less like a caricature, more like a nice lady superintendent fixing up the SoL.

I wonder if it's any way about cutting ties with Jim Mallon, essentially doing away with his version of the character.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really enjoyed the premiere. It felt like the old show. I like the new door sequence.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

I dunno, making fun of Fudgey the Whale felt like classic MST to me. Just poking fun at one of those weird things everyone knows about but never remembers until it's brought up.

Maybe it's a cultural thing; I don't think Carvel was ever a big deal in my part of the country.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HannibalBarca posted:

Maybe it's a cultural thing; I don't think Carvel was ever a big deal in my part of the country.

I'd never heard of it so the whole bit sorta fell flat. I'm in Arizona though so idk maybe its some weird southern thing like wawa or whateva

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Ramadu posted:

I'd never heard of it so the whole bit sorta fell flat. I'm in Arizona though so idk maybe its some weird southern thing like wawa or whateva

I'm from the Southeast, so I don't think that's it. I get the feeling it's New England/Mid Atlantic/Midwest; I dunno.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gavok posted:

I wonder if it's any way about cutting ties with Jim Mallon, essentially doing away with his version of the character.

Given that Joel blames him for a lot, I can see him changing Gypsy to distance Mallon's leftover influence.

Ramadu posted:

Wawa is New Jersey, not southern. And yes, Carvel is from the north east so for west coast people, it would probably not be as familiar.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramadu posted:

Wawa is not a Southern thing. They have shops in Florida, but the rest are Mid Atlantic, especially PA.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I'm in New England and Carvel was a big-ish thing in this region. I actually thought it was a national thing until literally just now, so...oops?

Unrelated, I'm glad someone made this already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

This explains Carvel

Also, look at how loving skinny he was.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Burkion posted:

To be fair

How many times did Joel reuse his stand up jokes?

A lot of the invention exchanges were props from his act.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Joel's talked a lot about it and a huge part of the reason seems to be something along the lines of "One of the only regularly featured women in a cast of mostly dudes is a big, dumb mom played by a man, that's maybe not something we need to preserve."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Properly speaking, it should be Dairy Queen for the Minneapolis version of those jokes--early on there are quite a few, but there's an episode that partially explains the most gratuitous one.

I like the weird pseudo-continuity between episodes, where a lot of the movies are linked by actors or crew being in one and then the next even though they're pretty different movies. It's just a weird treat to see someone from the last episode instantly aged 20 years and mowing the lawn in the 70s when he was just an astronaut in the future last episode (not a real example).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

duz posted:

Wawa is New Jersey, not southern. And yes, Carvel is from the north east so for west coast people, it would probably not be as familiar.
It's not really Jersey. It's more PA and Delaware. All the Jersey Wawas are in the soutern part of the state.

Either way, regional references are part of what MST3K's legacy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Joel's talked a lot about it and a huge part of the reason seems to be something along the lines of "One of the only regularly featured women in a cast of mostly dudes is a big, dumb mom played by a man, that's maybe not something we need to preserve."

Jim Mallon also seems like he's been through hell since the end of the show and whatever rights battle went on between him and Shout factory. He seems utterly changed through a horrible tragedy (his daughter died suddenly and he gave up tv work to become a therapist specializing in grief) and I'm content to leave him be and hope that his next 40 years bring more peace and contentment than his first 40.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My biggest issue so far is that the voices aren't singularly identifiable if you aren't paying attention to the silhouettes. Other than that, welcome back old friend. :unsmith:

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not really Jersey. It's more PA and Delaware. All the Jersey Wawas are in the soutern part of the state.

Either way, regional references are part of what MST3K's legacy.

Not to nitpick but yeah it's South Jersey, east Philly regional and the farther you get into PA/DE you start getting Sheetz. Woof.

Go Packers!

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 14, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Aw, Matt Oswalt got to work with brother on writing this. Yay

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Speaking of writers, Justin Roiland's name showing up was weird because no one mentioned boners or farts.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

weekly font posted:

My biggest issue so far is that the voices aren't singularly identifiable if you aren't paying attention to the silhouettes. Other than that, welcome back old friend. :unsmith:
Agreed on this front. Crow has a different enough twang in his voice but Jonah and Servo are sometimes indistinguishable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am literally just past the opening theme song and I'm loving delighted. Sometimes you can just tell something's going to work.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Jim Mallon also seems like he's been through hell since the end of the show and whatever rights battle went on between him and Shout factory. He seems utterly changed through a horrible tragedy (his daughter died suddenly and he gave up tv work to become a therapist specializing in grief) and I'm content to leave him be and hope that his next 40 years bring more peace and contentment than his first 40.

Yeah, definitely agreed. Either way, not that I know Joel super well, but he doesn't seem like the guy to change a character out of spite for a bad business partner. I'm sure it's just part of making the show a little updated.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Of course there's the magical Native American stereotype in this movie, of loving course. Cry Wilderness is really classic MST fare for me, but somehow even more batshit even in comparison to older eps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there's a very good reason for the change

Gypsy originally was portrayed as a very dumb dragon, bordering on mentally disabled. Which wasn't something Joel was super keen on, so even back then he introduced stuff like her being in charge of actually keeping poo poo running and that's why she acted the way she does- most of her mental faculties are spent doing that. I think there was even a moment where she stopped doing that and had normal, proper voice for a short while.

So yeah there is precedent for her not sounding like Mallon's take on her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So the minions are supposed to look like the minions from Inframan?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm only halfway through the first episode. I'm giving it a fair chance and I'm laughing a bit, but I feel like it's just too much. Jonah and the boys are talking and making jokes almost non stop. I feel like there is just way too much and it takes away from the effectiveness of the jokes.

Maybe it'll change in later episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know an Aquarium is just a pet store that doesn't sell anything.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm on episode 3 now, time to see what madness is in Time Travelers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I love the Skeleton Crew.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just started episode 2 and got to the invention exchange. Dammit Patton, now I am legit upset

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I made it about 15 minutes into the first episode before I had to turn it off. It's just not funny to me.

I guess that makes sense, given that Joel is behind the revival, and I always strongly preferred the Mike era over the Joel one.

Also really not liking the new voices for the bots. Maybe if I gave the show more of a chance, they'd grow on me, but right now, I genuinely cannot tell which character is talking in the theatre. Everyone sounds so similar without having much character to them. When the jokes feel really bland to me, having them delivered so dryly just compounds on it.

I'm sorry guys I really wanted to like this. :(

Edit: I'll finish the first episode to see if I end up feeling differently by the end.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 14, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Pistachio's anyone?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

15 minutes? Dude you like have actual real depression. Go outside get some sun, get on the phone and talk to some friends and family.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bruteman posted:

I'm working from home tomorrow, both of the people I report to are out tomorrow, and my workload will be light.

Going to watch MST3K all day :getin:

This is me right now as I opened the liquor store. I'm loving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Don't spoil the payoff, but do they ever explain the Gypsy/bucket thing that keeps happening? Two episodes in and it's...ok it's not distracting, but because it keeps happening, my curiosity is starting to boil over.

Although her one off riffs are great. "Now you're Mister Filing Cabinet!"