Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teddie's VA does the exact same voice in a other games (.hack//G.U. being a notable one) and it's just as obnoxious and I loving love it.

I just had a hilarious party wipe against the Chihaya mementos request boss that I outlevel by like 20. He goes first, brainwashes my entire party. Ryuji buffs his attack, then he uses Mapsi which technical hits the brainwash and oneshots everybody. No chance to act even once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Yeah, I have a friend who talks like Haru, which may be why I was fine with her voice for the most part. There were still a few lines here and there I wasn't keen on though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Morgana because seeing his model "talk" is hilarious and he has some good expressions like whenever he has nightmares.

Seriously go make some curry when you can and look at him lean on the table like "wooow food :DDD" it's amazing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Potentially related :v:

Really 90% of my criticisms of this game come down to "incidental VA work for extras sounds godawful in important scenes" and "localization is stilted and awkward to a degree previous games weren't". It's still a really good game but

End game
All the plot revelations post-Lavenza have all the elegance of a 2x4. The phrase "the evil god" in particular is a clunker. All of the social link framing device scenes with Sae were terrible.

The random Japanese citizenry VA-work during the fight with Yaldabaoth was really bad.

It's mostly small stuff but it's noticeable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

"incidental VA work for extras sounds godawful in important scenes"
the phantom thieves are SUPER lame

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Futaba is awesome too

gently caress

there are too many badass girls

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

I love this line so much.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like Morgana because seeing his model "talk" is hilarious and he has some good expressions like whenever he has nightmares.

The funniest one was his This is where I belong!! speech because he stands on the table and looks up with his mouth wide open and the idea of a cat trying to meow at the top of its lungs is hilarious

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

agreed, where's my Goro spinoff where I catch these law breaking losers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The VA for the two extras in Tora's Rank 2 S-Link scene were some PS1-quality stuff, it was a riot

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The VA for the two extras in Tora's Rank 2 S-Link scene were some PS1-quality stuff, it was a riot

The young guy in that scene is the same guy who calls Ann Kamoshida's bitch early in the game, that dude's great whenever I notice him

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Seriously go make some curry when you can and look at him lean on the table like "wooow food :DDD" it's amazing.

I can get behind this. I also enjoy watching Morgana run around in dungeons since she has that cartoon running animation that looks like a wheel which is so out of place but also hilarious.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 14, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

I can get behind this. I also enjoy watching Morgana run around in dungeons since she has that cartoon running animation that looks like a wheel which is so out of place but also hilarious.

He.

But yeah Morgana's little cartoon spindash run animation is probably my favorite thing about using him? Morgana is so much better than Teddie overall it's unreal.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Morgana is car

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

He.

But yeah Morgana's little cartoon spindash run animation is probably my favorite thing about using him? Morgana is so much better than Teddie overall it's unreal.

Oh yeah :v:. I've played so many JRPG's that my brain filtered out all of the times he was perving on "Lady Ann" so his high-pitched voice sounds more feminine to me. I wish Morgana was a girl, so that we could get a cool, smug and funny female mascot character, but yeah he's leagues ahead of Teddie in terms of likability. The only thing Teddie really has going for him is the bear puns.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Pollyanna posted:

Palace 5 spoilers: Haru makes me glad I have the Japanese voices DLC. Goddamn her English voice is grating. When will they understand that Western audiences loving hate squeaky-rear end voice acting?

They were doing so well with the voice cast before then too. :mad:

Seriously, Ann, Makoto, and Futaba all sound like young human women, and just about everyone in the main cast hits the mark in terms of acting, but then Haru shows up to channel the spirit of Fuuka Yamagishi.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haru's voice needs to be brought lower a few decibels to the point where she sounds like she's not inhaling helium and she's fine. As it is, the voice is perfectly fine sans that and is one of the more solid performances, tbh.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
--- DELETED BY ADMIN ---

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Why is this website still up

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Haru's voice needs to be brought lower a few decibels to the point where she sounds like she's not inhaling helium and she's fine. As it is, the voice is perfectly fine sans that and is one of the more solid performances, tbh.

She mostly does, after her introduction but jesus that first impression...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I was having a good time in Palace 6 until I ended up redeeming coins so I had like 200 coins under the 10k you need for the top floor so that was a fun run trying to get back to the quota. The boss wasn't bad either until it randomly one-shot Joker from full health on my first go with only a sliver of health left, so that's cool too I guess. :negative:

The leadup to Palace 7 ruled though and totally made up for that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Why is this website still up

tbh I just want to troll, lol

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I like haru's eng va but largely just because her battle dialogue kinda makes her sound like she's on something and that makes me giggle, particularly her super drawn out perrrrrrrrrrrsonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lotta people have issues with how she shows up/joins but I thought it was a neat change of pace that it just kind of happens without you. Def shoulda been in the game more beforehand though

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haru wins a lot of points on grounds of her follow up attack.

She unlocks the power of flight by way of spinning her axe real fast then does an aerial AoE axe bomb on the entire pack of enemies.

Really the fact that she uses a battleaxe despite her oh so debonair musketeer thief lady outfit, period.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

I was having a good time in Palace 6 until I ended up redeeming coins so I had like 200 coins under the 10k you need for the top floor so that was a fun run trying to get back to the quota. The boss wasn't bad either until it randomly one-shot Joker from full health on my first go with only a sliver of health left, so that's cool too I guess. :negative:

The leadup to Palace 7 ruled though and totally made up for that.

That almost happened to me as well. I saw how little health the boss had so I just decided to go for broke and I got her to less then 70 hp when she unleashed her special attack. Thankfully I had leveled up Futuba enough to do a full party block though so it didn't matter in the end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Haru wins a lot of points on grounds of her follow up attack.

She unlocks the power of flight by way of spinning her axe real fast then does an aerial AoE axe bomb on the entire pack of enemies.

Really the fact that she uses a battleaxe despite her oh so debonair musketeer thief lady outfit, period.

I want to be friends with Haru

Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long past 8/26

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I want to be friends with Haru

Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long past 8/26

Hope you have Proficiency 5!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I made it to the end of the third palace in one go. Feels good man.

Now I've got three weeks to watch movies with my cat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i do like in the beach scene that ann just goes 'hahaha ryuji you stupid horndog' instead of being grossed out by him staring or smth. it makes ryuji seem less like a creep and makes her wearing a kind of skimpy swimsuit feel less weird. that's my bikini opinion.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Also they did the whole Futaba in a swimsuit thing pretty tastefully I think. Like yeah there's an animated cutscene all about it but it doesn't actually feel like fanservice and is just more about "Look! Look how far our squid child has come! We're so proud!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also also, the anime cutscenes are probably unnecessary at this point, but they're super well-animated in this game so i dont mind. the one after the 4th palace packs so much personality into every little motion of the characters in a way that i dont think would be possible with in-game animation, even if you could accomplish the same things with it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

"Look! Look how far our squid child has come! We're so proud!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks futaba looks like the default girl squidling from Splatoon 1

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
General thoughts on the dungeons.

Palace 1: Really solid and it has been a while since I remember a game pushing my resources to the limit.
Palace 2: Kind of a pain due to having to go in and out of it so often. Other then that it was nothing special.
Palace 3: A painful slog with weirdly placed safe rooms.
Palace 4: Only time I left a palace voluntarily. Glad I did so as it made everything a lot less stressful.
Palace 5: Another serious push on my resources, but thanks to a lucky negotiation with a Grimehkala midway through the dungeon I was able to cruise through the rest of it.
Palace 6: Some frustrations due to ghastly wail killing Joker but overall it was a lot of fun. My highlight had to be fighting Thor and just laughing when the game gave me an extra turn to prepare for his charged attack as reflect physical really is a wonderful thing.
Palace 7: Only just started it so no real thoughts on it so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's also probably cheaper than making custom animations for one-time scenes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They really did a good job in making Futaba an endearing character.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Mishima threatening shitposters on his website is so Mishima. He'd have been a perfect mod here

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
To have made it this far, and not have a single cavity. YOU MUST HAVE HAD A DOCTOR OF DENTAL SURGERY AIDING YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

TheFireMagi posted:

Hope you have Proficiency 5!

...I thought having all my stats at 4 would be good enough for this part of the game... :eng99:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Saint Freak posted:

To have made it this far, and not have a single cavity. YOU MUST HAVE HAD A DOCTOR OF DENTAL SURGERY AIDING YOU

Lakbay posted:

Very dissappointed when you start Haru's confidant and it goes back to Sae her lines weren't something along the lines of:

"Your group has to have been in peak physical form to commit these crimes. Someone you know taught you how to grow organic vegetables. Who was it!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Despite living a second life as a thief of the night, you showed no signs of exhaustion during school. Someone must have made you go to bed early every night! Who was it?!