Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ramadu posted:

So I stopped watching this right around when coulson and bob got yanked back through the portal and the robot glowed evil cause it read a book. Did it ever get better? It feels like this season was pretty uneven and I just wanted bill paxton to come back because every episode with him was gold

I don't know how others feel, but I think the LMD story right now is the best story the show has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

I don't know how others feel, but I think the LMD story right now is the best story the show has ever done.

It's about even with season 2 for me atm but it could potentially surpass it because there's a lot of cool stuff going on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

With the mini-arcs, it's kind of like a Trilogy of Terror, but with the unifying thread being the Darkhold instead of Karen Black.

I'm not sure how much was driven by wanting to try new things or how much was budgetary, but I'm kind of digging this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its at its best right now but if you didn't like the first part of this season (which I assume is that "robot glowed evil from the book" comment) then you probably won't like any of this.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Ramadu posted:

It feels like this season was pretty uneven and I just wanted bill paxton to come back because every episode with him was gold

Man, do I have some bad news for you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Loser_Rex posted:

Man, do I have some bad news for you.

the darkhold can do it i think

well i'll check out the rest of them then if you guys say it's that good

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The whole drat gang is going to be rescued from the framework by a new character played by Brian Doyle Murray.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/852596394191990784

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope he never leaves again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hey, remember how we all thought he was the most boring part of a particularly boring show whose second episode was so bad that a lot of us were convinced the show couldn't pull out of its nosedive long enough to find its feat?

Because I remember. And I loving love being wrong.

Moreover, I love watching the show get exponentially better the longer it goes on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Brett Dalton should definitely stick around, but for his career. Last I heard of anything outside of AoS is him doing a WWE produced Jesus film.

I figure there are two potential outcomes for Fitz:
1) He's not in control and it'll be revealed that some additional fake layer of his persona has been added on at Aida's behest,
2) He has a way darker potential than anyone thought and it'll cause a rift between him and Gemma in the real world, at which point the show will rename itself Let's Find New Ways to Keep FitzSimmons Apart Every Season.

muscles like this! posted:

It seems like Madame Hydra is framing it like it is an alternate universe, not the "real" world.
Agents of F.R.I.N.G.E.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

sticklefifer posted:

Agents of F.R.I.N.G.E.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this when she started her bullshit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sticklefifer posted:

Brett Dalton should definitely stick around, but for his career. Last I heard of anything outside of AoS is him doing a WWE produced Jesus film.

I figure there are two potential outcomes for Fitz:
1) He's not in control and it'll be revealed that some additional fake layer of his persona has been added on at Aida's behest,
2) He has a way darker potential than anyone thought and it'll cause a rift between him and Gemma in the real world, at which point the show will rename itself Let's Find New Ways to Keep FitzSimmons Apart Every Season.

Agents of F.R.I.N.G.E.

Yeah honestly I'm not liking this AI arc and it makes me worried about future seasons because of the implications.

If we assume everyone leaves the simulation with their memories in tact then the eventual story arc of Fitz and May begging for forgiveness from everyone is going to be terrible. It'll be like Daisy's silly emo arc raised to 11. It'll be like Carol's dumb "I can't/don't wanna hurt anyone" arc in TWD.

If only Daisy and Gemma get to keep their memories since they backdoored in then the "I can't be with you or look at you because your a monster" arc is going to be stupid as well.

If nobody keeps their memories then what the gently caress was anything for?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It seems though that Project Looking Glass is actually a portal between the reality of the Framework and the rest of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a) based on Aida's Darkhold powered portal technology from the first half of the season, and b) the way Simmons and Daisy end up getting out of the Framework, since every other way is now shut off.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Open Source Idiom posted:

It seems though that Project Looking Glass is actually a portal between the reality of the Framework and the rest of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a) based on Aida's Darkhold powered portal technology from the first half of the season, and b) the way Simmons and Daisy end up getting out of the Framework, since every other way is now shut off.

I wondered about what the project really was and if it was just some sort of boondoggle, because why would Aida need a...(fake?) portal back to reality when she controls the framework?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

I wondered about what the project really was and if it was just some sort of boondoggle, because why would Aida need a...(fake?) portal back to reality when she controls the framework?

I was thinking it'd be her way of transferring her consciousness into a meat body in a non-virtual world?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was thinking it'd be her way of transferring her consciousness into a meat body in a non-virtual world?

Perhaps, though I don't know why she couldn't accomplish that in the real world with the help of the Darkhold and without the Framework. Also seems Aida wanting to be a "real boy" is an awfully tired story idea.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Robbie's gonna show up in the framework, channel the Ghost Rider, and save everyone. He'll use a modified version of the Pennance Stare to burn away all memories of Evil Fitz.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah honestly I'm not liking this AI arc and it makes me worried about future seasons because of the implications.

If we assume everyone leaves the simulation with their memories in tact then the eventual story arc of Fitz and May begging for forgiveness from everyone is going to be terrible. It'll be like Daisy's silly emo arc raised to 11. It'll be like Carol's dumb "I can't/don't wanna hurt anyone" arc in TWD.

If only Daisy and Gemma get to keep their memories since they backdoored in then the "I can't be with you or look at you because your a monster" arc is going to be stupid as well.

If nobody keeps their memories then what the gently caress was anything for?

Same. They also brought back Sylar for what is it the 5th time now and everything in the real world is at a standstill until the Hydra World arc is resolved.

Really not digging the arc at all so far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Robbie's gonna show up in the framework, channel the Ghost Rider, and save everyone. He'll use a modified version of the Pennance Stare to burn away all memories of Evil Fitz.

I reckon you're right. Although instead of plugging into the Framework he'll burn a portal and physically enter it, because of Darkhold shenanigans.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I want to see LMD Fitz find out what is happening in the Framework and decide to go after AIDA since he didn't end up with Jemma like she promised.
Like Fitz on Fitz action. "I love Madame Hydra! I love Jemma Simmons!" Fight to the death.
They really could be working toward murdering Framework Fitz and leaving us with LMD Fitz. Which makes me sad.

Edit: also, all of the hints that Framework Fitz isn't real-world Fitz or if it is, AIDA did some serious re-writes.

Edit2: That was her greatest regret. AIDA wanted to be with Fitz. She wanted to feel love. She was jealous of Agnes the whole time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Nah, he's gone forever. Ghost Rider got too expensive.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Woden posted:

Same. They also brought back Sylar for what is it the 5th time now and everything in the real world is at a standstill until the Hydra World arc is resolved.

Really not digging the arc at all so far.

Hey not a fair comparison. Sylar was a fantastic villain in the first and only good season and was immediately ruined by uninspired, rushed, and awful writing in subsequent seasons to a degree my brain registers that Heroes was a single season and then was canceled abruptly and to everyone's approval.

Ward has been awesome in all three and a half seasons so far.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I keep reading worries here about how angsty Fitz is going to be once they get out, but I feel like the show should get the benefit of doubt here because when has it ever dragged any kind of angst out over more than maybe an episode tops?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Slashrat posted:

I keep reading worries here about how angsty Fitz is going to be once they get out, but I feel like the show should get the benefit of doubt here because when has it ever dragged any kind of angst out over more than maybe an episode tops?

Fitz getting all pissy about Jemma's space boyfriend was like two episodes.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I dunno, I'm remembering Brain Damaged Fitz lasting the entirety of season 2, followed by Girlfriend Eaten By Rock Fitz, Guilty For Helping Build Death-Android Fitz, and now Evil Nazi Doctor Fitz.

Don't get me wrong, the show has been good-to-great for a long time now. I'm just ready for a different character to do the emotional heavy lifting for a while.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would have not been happy with Fitz magically getting over his brain damage in 2 episodes. His struggle and his recovery were when people really started to notice Ilain's acting ability.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 14, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Fitz coming out of the framework with a grin and "Wow, that was hosed UP, amirite?" would be pretty good.

Just completely free of guilt for any of it, except maybe killing Agnes, but then again, she was already dead, and the framework was hell, and he probably saved her a decade or two of suffering, so, lol.

May comes out, now even better at breaking faces after having spent years in a hellscape where there is only fighting, but no aging or carrying injuries over. Now free of the guilt from Bahrain.

Coulson and Mack are the only ones to come out sad. Mack for still only getting to spend a little while with Hope, and Coulson because he has to deal with the fact that in another world, he'd be a full-on fascist bootlicker. Then again, he broke free eventually.

They end up keeping NPC Ward and Radcliffe, downloaded into LMDs. Bonus points if somebody says "The world could always use more heroes!". Fitz makes it well known that he can pop either of them remotely at any time.

Daisy and Simmons are both completely bewildered by how little it effected the others.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

PunkBoy posted:

I would have not been happy with Fitz magically getting over his brain damage in 2 episodes. His struggle and his recovery were when people really started to notice Ilain's acting ability.

Sure, if you give your character brain damage you need to run with the consequences. That said, I didn't actually enjoy that particular character arc.

OB_Juan posted:

Fitz coming out of the framework with a grin and "Wow, that was hosed UP, amirite?" would be pretty good.

Daisy and Simmons are both completely bewildered by how little it effected the others.

This. I would be totally okay with this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yakmouth posted:

Sure, if you give your character brain damage you need to run with the consequences. That said, I didn't actually enjoy that particular character arc.

There had to be consequences or it was pointless.

Also, adds to the reasons Jemma cannot trust Framework Ward.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

There had to be consequences or it was pointless.

Likewise, there will have to be consequences for these Framework experiences. Jemma will be jealous of Fitz's previously-poorly-concealed affection for/interest in AIDA made totally overt, not to mention disappointed in his killing Agnes. Daisy, if Fitz tortures her, may have trust issues (ditto if Ward is kept around). Whether May is woke or not, Coulson remembers LMD May and what might have been, while captive May has been in the Framework a very long time -- she missed a lot.

Mace, if he lives, might choose to remain in the Framework, where he has powers and can make a difference. Mack, if he lives, might choose to remain in the Framework, where he has Hope; that is a harder decision than Mace's, since Mack has to choose between a sure thing with Hope and a maybe with Yoyo.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That brings up a good point. Do they have the right to shutdown the Framework? This is Darkholde magic, and, if Project Looking Glass is what it sounds like, it is more a parallel reality than a virtual one. Even Jemma was impressed by how complex the "programming" seems to be. These are people, virtual people, but people none-the-less. They have lives and memories and dreams.
Shutting it down would murder billions of independent consciousnesses.

I still think LMD Fitz is going to help stop AIDA just for what she did to him in the Framework. That's not what he signed up for at all!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the Darkholde is powerful and magic and all but that suggestions that Radcliffe and Aida literally created millions of lives. If the Framework is filled with "people" then that's a hell of a direction for the show to take.

I think its more likely they stick to "the Framework people are programs" and keep the ethical dilemmas to Mack's daughter, Agnes, and Aida. Mack may not care that his daughter isn't real, because he has her, and there could even be an ethical dilemma of downloading her into a LMD even though it wouldn't have been based off the real girl at all. And Aida is certainly a "person" at this stage so just turning her off very much seems like murder (even if its slightly deserved). And Fitz definitely IMO murdered Agnes since he killed her consciousness, which is why it hit Jemma so hard.

We don't know what Project Looking Glass is because Aida's story is clearly bullshit. She has no problem interacting with the real world so she's lying to Fitz. Even if she was somehow trying to get like Hydra out of the Framework and into the real world... well that just makes my brain hurt so I'm going to stop posting.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

We don't know what Project Looking Glass is because Aida's story is clearly bullshit. She has no problem interacting with the real world so she's lying to Fitz. Even if she was somehow trying to get like Hydra out of the Framework and into the real world... well that just makes my brain hurt so I'm going to stop posting.

Does she, though? They haven't shown any interaction with the real world from inside the Framework, not even with Madame Hydra. She knows everything real-world AIDA knew, but I think she is just as cut off as everyone else at this point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, we have no evidence of that at all. We also have no evidence of what I said, I guess. But we saw Aida interact with the Framework before when she was trying to control May. But i guess we have no real concrete information about consciousness or whatever. But like if Aida created life in the Framework and then got stuck in it than is she a God who trapped herself? Or are you suggesting Aida created a different Aida?

And I'm really going to stop thinking about this poo poo because this is why I don't like sci-fi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

That brings up a good point. Do they have the right to shutdown the Framework? This is Darkholde magic, and, if Project Looking Glass is what it sounds like, it is more a parallel reality than a virtual one. Even Jemma was impressed by how complex the "programming" seems to be. These are people, virtual people, but people none-the-less. They have lives and memories and dreams.
Shutting it down would murder billions of independent consciousnesses.

They aren't real people. The only real people are the team, Agnes :rip: and Radcliffe.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

From a pure storytelling aspect, keeping the Framework running opens more possibilities than shutting it down. From a 'realistic' point of view, I'm trying to imagine any organization saying "Yep, we've invented both AI and perfect VR... but it was all kind of poo poo so we scrapped them." Like, either of those technologies would be real-world game changers, and both are being actively pursued.

I say the Framework is here to stay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yakmouth posted:

From a pure storytelling aspect, keeping the Framework running opens more possibilities than shutting it down. From a 'realistic' point of view, I'm trying to imagine any organization saying "Yep, we've invented both AI and perfect VR... but it was all kind of poo poo so we scrapped them." Like, either of those technologies would be real-world game changers, and both are being actively pursued.

I say the Framework is here to stay.

Yeah, but the AI went evil and murdery and tried to take over the world with the VR. Like the entire point of the last story arch was that Radcliffe and Fitz ignored the dangers in the pursuit of science and it went very, very bad so it would be odd if this arch ends with them just making the same decision.

For God's sakes, listen to Mack and his robot movies.

I mean, I think they could keep it around for storytelling purposes down the line but it would basically make the characters not learning from their narrative mistakes. Hell, the whole season has been about the dangers of scientific pursuit going back to the the original Darkholde "ghosts" plot.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think the best option is that they run into Robbie Reyes in the Framework. He immediately recognizes them for who they are.

"But didn't you get dragged to Hell?"
"Yeah"
"How'd you get out?"
"I didn't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but the AI went evil and murdery and tried to take over the world with the VR. Like the entire point of the last story arch was that Radcliffe and Fitz ignored the dangers in the pursuit of science and it went very, very bad so it would be odd if this arch ends with them just making the same decision.

For God's sakes, listen to Mack and his robot movies.

I mean, I think they could keep it around for storytelling purposes down the line but it would basically make the characters not learning from their narrative mistakes. Hell, the whole season has been about the dangers of scientific pursuit going back to the the original Darkholde "ghosts" plot.

Well, you aren't wrong.

Also, for pretty much the past four years AoS has always gone in radically different directions from my expectations. This has sometimes been an uneven show for me but it's never been predictable. There's probably a third option that neither of us is considering that will blow us out of the water.

Still, just playing armchair showrunner for a second, I want to see more AI and VR shennagigans in the future (and get the show's focus a bit off inhumans for a while) so I'm hoping they can come up with a resolution that keeps the tech without being a narrative cop-out.

Yakmouth fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 14, 2017

• Locked thread