Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do I turn mouse smoothing back off?
you cant

causticBeet posted:

I think the 3rd person stuff is a bit lame but at a certain point there's so many other factors at play in gunfights that being able to peek someone over a wall or window is really the least of your problems. It would certainly make it more interesting though if you couldn't scout without exposing yourself.
lmao really? it's the biggest hindrance to the game besides lag atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
third person makes the game more fun, but the first person only people will supposedly get their own sperg mode at some point. It isn't really a 'hindrance' because everyone has the same (terrible) third person now that they nerfed the fov ini change

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ya its really cool being able to see above walls that should be tall enough to cover people

being prone in a second story window and seeing everyone outside without them having any chance of seeing you is really cool

are we even playing the same game

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lmao really? it's the biggest hindrance to the game besides lag atm

I think it's the DayZ\ARMA-casual-mods players who just got used to the third-person-peek metagame over the years, pretty much all of the 'big' streamers also used to abuse it to heck.

Really what PUBG needed was to implement the ARMA 3 stance system or come up with some more dynamic 'peek over\around obstacles' method. The current first person implementation where you have to stand fully erect to peek over a fence is also a bit poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 14, 2017

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I admit that I 'naded a guy in a shack because I could 3rd person peek him inside. But at the same time he could have peeked me and run out. Still, I would have probably died going in without 3rd person peeking.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

ya its really cool being able to see above walls that should be tall enough to cover people

being prone in a second story window and seeing everyone outside without them having any chance of seeing you is really cool

I get where you're coming from. I use the hell out of the 3rd person camera but when it gets to small circles it's pretty much all about about who can sit behind a tree/hill/rock and use the camera the best.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

you seem very salty about this game for some reason

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like one of the big draws of this game is that it isn't trying too hard to be a realistic milsperg jerk off session. Granted I haven't read too much into the dev's opinion on this kind of thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This game is basically an Arma clone in all but name mechanics wise. About the three major differences are you can jump, your ammo is now pooled instead of mag specific and your legs don't crumple like tissue paper if you fall more than 2 inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXT4umF2SI

Also the hitboxes are really, really good when they work. Cause he got loving domed.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I feel like one of the big draws of this game is that it isn't trying too hard to be a realistic milsperg jerk off session. Granted I haven't read too much into the dev's opinion on this kind of thing.

There's a difference between being a bit casual and having a camera schema that is completely asymmetrically advantageous and highly encourages and favors camping.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

There's a difference between being a bit casual and having a camera schema that is completely asymmetrically advantageous and highly encourages and favors camping.

I honestly doubt people will camp less in the first person only mode servers, but that would be an interesting thing to keep track of somehow. Games like this will always favor campers. Despite all this you can still run into a room with dudes who know you're coming and kill them in two hits with a shotgun.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

you seem very salty about this game for some reason

lmao yep i'm super salty about a game mechanic that I admittedly abuse to win games. It's bullshit that it comes down to that and makes winning feel less just slightly less legit

I haven't played in days because of the desync, I just really don't want the devs to mess this game up.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I honestly doubt people will camp less in the first person only mode servers, but that would be an interesting thing to keep track of somehow. Games like this will always favor campers.

Yeah but they'll have to actually peek out and show themselves, which makes a big difference.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I honestly doubt people will camp less in the first person only mode servers, but that would be an interesting thing to keep track of somehow. Games like this will always favor campers.

if you don't understand how much third person absolutely 100% helps and encourages camping I don't know what to tell you

I'd irl laugh if they did a classic bluehole patch and introduce 1st person only servers.....that also required mandatory head bob
e: with no way to turn it off

https://twitter.com/battleroyalemod/status/852777994850451456

:getin:

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/852768347716435968

confirmed to be kriss vector

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 14, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but they'll have to actually peek out and show themselves, which makes a big difference.

On the flip side of that, the game is such a way that you have to peek a ridiculous amount of your body just to peer over the top of a window ledge in first person or whatever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Knifegrab posted:

I've played Arma 3 BR in both regular and locked first person and I prefer regular. As long as the third person effects everyone the same, it doesn't matter to me. Sure, you could camp a building, but I still generally avoid that strategy. Even with third person, there are massive blind spots and it's really hard to hear people outside the building who are sneaking up to throw grenades in. On top of that, in most of the houses, the clutter and window layout usually mean if you're lining up a shot on someone, you're exposing yourself to other windows. If the Arma stance system was adopted, though house camping would get substantially stronger.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

On the flip side of that, the game is such a way that you have to peek a ridiculous amount of your body just to peer over the top of a window ledge in first person or whatever.

correct, it would hinder camping

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I honestly doubt people will camp less in the first person only mode servers, but that would be an interesting thing to keep track of somehow. Games like this will always favor campers. Despite all this you can still run into a room with dudes who know you're coming and kill them in two hits with a shotgun.

It will seriously make firefights out in the open way more interesting when both players don't just hide behind a rock and use the camera to look over it and see when the other moves. There was a good video posted to the subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zoVIsIT2A

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

correct, it would hinder camping

If the problem is "camping bad" there are lots of ways to combat camping specifically. Fixing grenades so you can throw them through windows in less than 40 seconds, make more of the environment destructible, make it so artillery is a rare one use item you can call in(that destroys trees/buildings people might be camping around). Getting rid of third person won't mean that people will camp less, they'll just camp differently.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've played Arma 3 BR in both regular and locked first person and I prefer regular. As long as the third person effects everyone the same, it doesn't matter to me. Sure, you could camp a building, but I still generally avoid that strategy. Even with third person, there are massive blind spots and it's really hard to hear people outside the building who are sneaking up to throw grenades in. On top of that, in most of the houses, the clutter and window layout usually mean if you're lining up a shot on someone, you're exposing yourself to other windows. If the Arma stance system was adopted, though house camping would get substantially stronger.

I could prefer a ton of systems that are worse for competitive multiplayer, doesn't make them right.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If the problem is "camping bad" there are lots of ways to combat camping specifically. Fixing grenades so you can throw them through windows in less than 40 seconds, make more of the environment destructible, make it so artillery is a rare one use item you can call in(that destroys trees/buildings people might be camping around). Getting rid of third person won't mean that people will camp less, they'll just camp differently.

Man you really are struggling to get this.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
literally >90% of my kills are me peeking my camera over/around an object/wall and murking someone when they get closer/start moving
I use the hell out of it but I will definitely play more of the 1st person mode when it comes out

People who don't understand how much of an advantage the 3rd person camera is probably don't utilize it effectively in the first place

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The way it is right now everyone has the exact same "super third person extra special" or whatever you guys are claiming it is. Just like without it everyone would just be in first person. I'm willing to bet that people will actually camp more with first person only.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The way it is right now everyone has the exact same "super third person extra special" or whatever you guys are claiming it is. Just like without it everyone would just be in first person. I'm willing to bet that people will actually camp more with first person only.

Haha lordy you really really don't get this. I will draw something in MS paint for you hang on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Free look allowing you to stick the top of your head over an obstacle would be a neat solution.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The problem now isn't "camping bad" it's that firefights are not about gunplay/aim/anything else that defines a shooting game, it's about who was set up behind the right object at the right time to catch someone en route to somewhere else. This is what the gameplay under 20 people boils down to.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ItheWelp87 posted:

it's about who was set up behind the right object at the right time to catch someone en route to somewhere else.

Yeah but the game will still be like that on the first person only mode servers that they said they would make. It will just be in first person instead of third person. Getting to cover before the other team means you will usually win.

Whats more important in my mind is probably flanking and using cover to flank. Part of this would be to kill the whole "ultra low foliage" thing and putting in a lot more vegetation so its not like uncle bob took his lawn mower and mowed the entire island flat. Those farms should be surrounded by corn/wheat whatever.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 14, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The circle system as a whole discourages long term camping. I tend to avoid compounds/cities when the circle doesn't force me into them, outside of the looting phase, of course. I'd still continue to do that in first person only servers.

In any case, this argument is getting a little tiresome. Clearly 3rd person will never get taken away, but first person only will be added in the future. Your crusade to convince everyone that first person only is the way to play all video games because a Youtube poster made a video about it is falling on deft ears. I don't think anyone is failing to understand what makes the 3rd person perspective so strong, but as long as it is a level playing field who cares?

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah but the game will still be like that on the first person only mode servers that they said they would make. It will just be in first person instead of third person. Getting to cover before the other team means you will usually win.

Yes but the gunfight will be an actual fight and not just a stupid surprise almost-guaranteed kill. I'm speaking with endgame play in mind, where it's not a matter of hiding in a building, but vast open fields with sparse cover. The one place 3rd person camera gives you negligible advantage is probably actually inside a building.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

hahaha ok yeah you aren't understanding this. Watch that youtube video posted about the differences. If you can't see the difference between "people will camp behind rocks and you will never be able to see them" and "people will camp behind rocks and you can see their head/body" I don't know what to tell you

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't think anyone is failing to understand what makes the 3rd person perspective so strong, but as long as it is a level playing field who cares?
because allowing 3rd person makes really unfun strategies viable hence

ItheWelp87 posted:

it's about who was set up behind the right object at the right time to catch someone en route to somewhere else.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

First person forces you to expose yourself to see stuff. Third person does not. This means going from functionally invulnerable while scouting from cover to at-risk.

The person running into the circle is at a disadvantage because they have no cover. However, if you have to poke your head out to see that guy moving, he has a chance to ID you and take action.

There's no compelling reason, IMO, as to why the advantaged party should have the third-person advantage as well. However, you'd be stupid to not leverage it, so most people will continue to play third-person.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Whats more important in my mind is probably flanking and using cover to flank. Part of this would be to kill the whole "ultra low foliage" thing and putting in a lot more vegetation so its not like uncle bob took his lawn mower and mowed the entire island flat. Those farms should be surrounded by corn/wheat whatever.

Here I made a helpful drawing for you:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

has anyone NOT hid behind a tree to reload/first aid in endgame?

that becomes 100% "don't move and watch for anyone else running around, you can functionally see around the tree in 3rd person

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

has anyone NOT hid behind a tree to reload/first aid in endgame?

that becomes 100% "don't move and watch for anyone else running around, you can functionally see around the tree in 3rd person

Nope the end game is a shitfest of who can chill behind something and wait for someone else to move so they can see them first with no real danger to themselves. Ultimately the winner is almost always going to be the guy who got lucky and the zone closed around him/didn't have to move.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is the unfun strategy camping? because people will still camp. I mean they're already giving the spergs what they want (or at least my understanding is they said they're working of fp only mode) so I don't get what more you guys want from this?

A somewhat limited third person camera, especially in a game where you can't just peek the top of your head over things or around corners and have to reveal massive amounts of your body instead seems like a fairly reasonable compromise. The third person in this game seems somewhat more limited in FOV compared to that video you posted at least.

Have you guys never played counterstrike? People still camp, and the people camping usually have the advantage. Heck, you can't even lean in counterstrike like you can in this game, so people just pick a corner and don't move/peek anything unless absolutely necessary.

If epic firefights are your thing then I think the lightning quick TTK would bug you more than third person.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 14, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Y'all dumb. Game is fun. Enjoy game. Campers always have an advantage and yeah, it's an unfun strat and yeah, it's RNG where the circle goes. Game still fun. Enjoy game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man this is the 1st game in years that is causing my computer to crash with error messages saying I'm running out of memory. I have 16 gigs of ram.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Is the unfun strategy camping? because people will still camp.
the unfun strategy is camping with no repercussions to the person camping, I can't believe I'm typing this out a third time I seriously think you took too many irl frying pans to the head

tehinternet posted:

Y'all dumb. Game is fun. Enjoy game. Campers always have an advantage and yeah, it's an unfun strat and yeah, it's RNG where the circle goes. Game still fun. Enjoy game.
game is fun, game could be more fun

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I didn't vote in the recent election, but I had no idea you were elected as fun captain. In any case, in Arma 3 BR they had both regular and "hardcore" servers. The regular servers had over 10 times more players, in fact you could only get enough players to start a hardcore match during peak times. So, according to the player base, most consider regular to be more fun. I suspect you'll see a similar situation here, but since there is an overall larger population, you won't have as much issues getting a hardcore server to actually start.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the unfun strategy is camping with no repercussions to the person camping, I can't believe I'm typing this out a third time I seriously think you took too many irl frying pans to the head

You will still be able to camp with no repercussions in just first person mode. No one is forcing you to peek out when you camp playing in first person only and in fact its probably the most safe way to play camp and never move or peek unless necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

I didn't vote in the recent election, but I had no idea you were elected as fun captain. In any case, in Arma 3 BR they had both regular and "hardcore" servers. The regular servers had over 10 times more players, in fact you could only get enough players to start a hardcore match during peak times. So, according to the player base, most consider regular to be more fun. I suspect you'll see a similar situation here, but since there is an overall larger population, you won't have as much issues getting a hardcore server to actually start.

Yes and if you look at modded servers more people play counter strike in low grav infinite ammo servers/surf servers than comp matchmaking. Doesn't mean comp should turn down the gravity and introduce surf maps though.

• Locked thread