Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The trailer isn't bad but it feels like they introduce sooo little content that's actually new since TFA. There's more of Luke's island, a desert planet, and some shots that are waaaaay too similar to shots used in the TFA trailer: especially the millenium falcon swooping into combat over a planet and people running around as a ship explodes in a hangar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

The trailer isn't bad but it feels like they introduce sooo little content that's actually new since TFA. There's more of Luke's island, a desert planet, and some shots that are waaaaay too similar to shots used in the TFA trailer: especially the millenium falcon swooping into combat over a planet and people running around as a ship explodes in a hangar.

that's kind of the point of a teaser trailer though

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
It rhymes it's like poetry. Boyeda is in a med pod coma like han was in carbonite. Oh did you want Disney to do something new and expansive with the star wars IP? LMAO this is the company straight up remaking it's animated properties from 20 years ago

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ZeeBoi posted:

Hell yes, finally an end to the corrupt jedi order way of thinking

This guy had it right the whole time, but no one would listen:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jolee_Bindo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

that's kind of the point of a teaser trailer though

It's not common at all for a teaser for a sequel to introduce zero new characters, villains, or locations! I mean I'm sure this movie will have new characters villains and locations but so far we've seen none of them (I guess some of the locations we see could be new ones but there's no way of knowing - unlike locations like hoth and bespin which are immediately visually unique)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not common at all for a teaser for a sequel to introduce zero new characters, villains, or locations!

Yes it is. That's why it's the teaser trailer. The *actual* trailer is supposed to do that poo poo. The teaser trailer is "Yes we have made this movie, it's good, get hype". Then like 5 months from now you can get an *actual* trailer.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MrBigglesworth posted:

Heard Yoda when focused on those texts.

and the Emperor when focused on Vader's helmet.

Real excited for Episode VIII.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

At work, so I can't comb through the trailer (and there aren't a lot of shot-by-shot breakdowns up yet), but one thing I noticed. This place/scene:

Is almost certainly a continuation of this flashback from TFA:

Which in turn is likely Luke in the aftermath of an attack on his Jedi Temple. So it looks like we'll be getting more of that backstory (and hopefully a little more than the drip feed of TFA).

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not common at all for a teaser for a sequel to introduce zero new characters, villains, or locations! I mean I'm sure this movie will have new characters villains and locations but so far we've seen none of them (I guess some of the locations we see could be new ones but there's no way of knowing - unlike locations like hoth and bespin which are immediately visually unique)
The salt flats with the speeders are definitely new, and already look more interesting than any place in TFA.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teaser was good. Poster got me way more hype though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Teaser was pretty mediocre, especially compared to how great the TFA one was. Poster is indeed sweet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I mentioned in the trailer thread that the The Force Awakens teaser got me way more excited. This trailer wasn't bad or anything, it just nothing exceptional. It's adequately fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tfa was teasing an entirely new cast of characters tho. How can this even compete.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's still pretty middling.

The ships in the desert was the most inspired shot and even then it had things we've seen before like the AT-ATs in the distance.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

Tfa was teasing an entirely new cast of characters tho. How can this even compete.

I don't know, show more things that'd make my hype levels tingle? Like, give me a glimpse of Luke doing something awesome maybe. I was more excited by the Thor 3 teaser by comparison because it was a well made trailer, and I didn't really like the first two Thor films or their trailers either.

[edit]

iSheep posted:

The ships in the desert was the most inspired shot and even then it had things we've seen before like the AT-ATs in the distance.

The ships in the desert with red exhaust is reminiscent of the x-wings over the water in the TFA teaser.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 14, 2017

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I didn't get really hyped until the second TFA trailer.
The original teaser didn't give me the same reaction it gave some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgLa3eKMYs&t=1s

This one was still cool though. More hyped about that poster though. Sooo much better than the TFA poster.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe luke doesn't do any light sabre flips in the movie ?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Luke line is by far the most interesting thing in the teaser, the rest of it is basically just a "when we last left character X" montage.

But yea its important to remember the difference between a teaser and a full trailer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems appropriate for a serialized franchise ?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

The ships in the desert with red exhaust is reminiscent of the x-wings over the water in the TFA teaser.

They are pulling red dirt from underneath the dried clay/mud/whatever with some kind of ship hoe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

Jokes on you, I'm not a fan of the prequel style of lightsaber fighting.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

euphronius posted:

Gonna be really mad if nobody has quadrupled their flip power.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

That seems appropriate for a serialized franchise ?

Fair point

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

iSheep posted:

They are pulling red dirt from underneath the dried clay/mud/whatever with some kind of ship hoe.

Oh yeah huh, just re-watched it and saw that. I guess that's interesting.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I made some gifs cuz

http://i.imgur.com/LELRf47.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/tRfuE6s.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/1Z3mr81.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/S5WBVqj.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/StUg21U.gifv

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If nothing else, this movie is going to look hella pretty.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

But yea its important to remember the difference between a teaser and a full trailer.

I'm aware of the distinction. There was just really nothing exceptional about The Last Jedi teaser for me. The visuals look great, but as a teaser it didn't really accomplish its job of making me super excited. Best I can explain why is the choice of footage, the editing, and the cue weren't all that riveting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pops Mgee posted:

Gonna be really mad if nobody has quadrupled their flip power.

Rey must learn the power of the Spin.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

This is probably my favorite shot out of the whole thing, with that ultra far shot of Luke overseeing Rey's lightsaber training a close second.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP Poe's bad-rear end X-Wing.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Are any of the new stills they showed at the TLJ panel available anywhere yet? They had some cool new stuff in there, some cool new shots of Rey, a few of Luke and a shot of Rose (among others).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Rainmaker is actually Darth Plagueis, Looper is revealed to be a Star Wars prequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

First thing that shot reminded me of:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SatisfiedMilkyCoyote.webm

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Jose Oquendo posted:

RIP Poe's bad-rear end X-Wing.

Rest in peace, Black One. You were too awesome for this world.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke: "poo poo's crazy, Rey. No more Jedi. Except you. You're the last one."

*secret Jedi handshake and coupon for free 6" Subway Sub of the Day*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ZeeBoi posted:

Seriously you can't watch the Clone Wars TV show without sometimes thinking "gently caress the Jedi, man".

Or even the prequels, how the Jedi basically made sure Anakin was seduced by Palpatine.

Either extreme is bad for you.

Clone Wars especially has tons of episodes where it's very very clear that the Jedi are dumbasses and bad. Not like "maybe the Jedi aren't so great either or the truth is in the middle" just straight "gently caress both of these sides so hard forever."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

IronSaber posted:

Rest in peace, Black One. You were too awesome for this world.

I'm sure he'll get a new one with a slightly different paint job. That way Disney can sell TWO X-Wing toys this Christmas.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure he'll get a new one with a slightly different paint job. That way Disney can sell TWO X-Wing toys this Christmas.

A red and green Christmas X-Wing, most likely. With the lights and everything.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Thinking about it a little more I think my problems with this trailer are mostly due to the way TFA ended.

We didn't really need to actually see Rey landing in Ireland and meeting Luke at the end of TFA... it would have been just as effective (actually, probably more effective) to end with her flying off into the sky alone. And of course, the Ireland shots in this teaser would be 10 times as effective if we didn't already see Ireland.

We also didn't need to see John Boyega laying unconscious at the end of TFA: they could have left his fate totally uncertain and, in addition to making the first movie's ending more potent, it would make the moment in this teaser where you see him comatose a lot more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Polo-Rican posted:

Thinking about it a little more I think my problems with this trailer are mostly due to the way TFA ended.

We didn't really need to actually see Rey landing in Ireland and meeting Luke at the end of TFA... it would have been just as effective (actually, probably more effective) to end with her flying off into the sky alone. And of course, the Ireland shots in this teaser would be 10 times as effective if we didn't already see Ireland.

We also didn't need to see John Boyega laying unconscious at the end of TFA: they could have left his fate totally uncertain and, in addition to making the first movie's ending more potent, it would make the moment in this teaser where you see him comatose a lot more effective.

I disagree, but to each his own.

• Locked thread