Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This episode was slow, but I wrote it down as growing pains, as the four of them working out a way to incorporate the reveal so that they could return to the main campaign. Griffin explicitly said that this wasn't the end of the D&D. I'll give them some slack before I define the experiment as failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

poor life choice posted:

I think this is an argument that nobody wins. "Hacking" a tabletop system probably sounds like theft to people unfamiliar with it

This is a good point that I hadn't considered.

poor life choice posted:

he gave the source material its due.

Let's agree to disagree on this though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I mean he said what it was based off of. What more do you want. They are table top game systems

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The honor of this tabletop gaming system must be upheld, I challenge the charlatan Griffin McElroy to a gentleman's duel

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

purple death ray posted:

The honor of this tabletop gaming system must be upheld, I challenge the charlatan Griffin McElroy to a gentleman's duel

This, unironically.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Every time I listen I think tabletop games sound kinda fun.

Then I remember the insufferable tabletop nerds in this thread and I come to my senses. JFC

Serf
May 5, 2011

griffin: i made a pbta game, of which there are dozens

nerds: how dare u

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I haven't listened to the episode but I can already tell I'm going to love it because of the reaction in this thread

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only negative I got for the ep are the last few minutes, just felt like they were having issues with the game and getting a handle of how rounds would end. The explanation of The Stolen Century brought it back home, tho.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The only negative I got for the ep are the last few minutes, just felt like they were having issues with the game and getting a handle of how rounds would end. The explanation of The Stolen Century brought it back home, tho.

For sure. I think PbtA games work best when you aren't being rushed to the next set piece, but I am confident Griffin will get more creative with the storytelling and partial successes ("seven to nines") as time goes on and am glad he's trying it out! It's not always "you get some of what you want," maybe it's a hard choice that can result in really interesting gameplay. "You can defeat this charging bear, but you'd have to kill it" is a great example that Griffin gave, that in a different situation could lead to a whole dramatic arc about regaining the trust of that group in the aftermath. But this is a flashback so that would have been a diversion.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I think the arc is going to pick up more in the next episode, since they'll have a better idea of how it'll work. It's very, very different than the usual style, and they're also jumping straight into a challenging roleplaying situation: all of the history they've built up in their characters' relationships is suddenly gone because all that's in the future. They're basically starting from scratch in that respect--even if their personalities are the same, the way they usually play off each other can't really be the same.

I liked the episode, just didn't love it quite as much as the usual.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Then I remember the insufferable tabletop nerds in this thread and I come to my senses. JFC
Tbf you get the same issue with Games and video games

I promise not all of us are fun-hating spergs! You just need to find a group that is mainly chill (there is always at least one rules lawyer, no exceptions), it completely depends on the people you play with, more so than the actual game you're playing.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wake_N_Bake posted:

the secret is usually to try to get people who are already your friends to play tabletop poo poo with you. It's worked out for me, at least.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Nah, I play Monsterhearts and two different D&D games regularly and in general everyone is super chill. If we have issues about the flow of the game or mechanics we talk about them like regular people.

I thought the episode was good and fine, and Griffin said all he needed to. I don't have any problems with Justin being like "wow he came up with a system" or Griffin saying that he based it off PbtA systems. That's all most people need because who cares? For people who have played with the system before, they immediately know how it's going to go. If they haven't then he gave enough information for them to follow along. Literally the only important things you need to know for those systems are the difference between <6, 7-9, and 10+ rolls. Once you have that down you can successfully play however you want.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think the arc is going to pick up more in the next episode, since they'll have a better idea of how it'll work. It's very, very different than the usual style, and they're also jumping straight into a challenging roleplaying situation: all of the history they've built up in their characters' relationships is suddenly gone because all that's in the future. They're basically starting from scratch in that respect--even if their personalities are the same, the way they usually play off each other can't really be the same.

I liked the episode, just didn't love it quite as much as the usual.

Tbf you get the same issue with Games and video games

I promise not all of us are fun-hating spergs! You just need to find a group that is mainly chill (there is always at least one rules lawyer, no exceptions), it completely depends on the people you play with, more so than the actual game you're playing.

If you scope the post history they're already familiar with rules lawyering how to post about the McElroy podcasts, I think tabletop gaming will suit them fine if they ever take the time to give it a shot!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

poor life choice posted:

I think this is an argument that nobody wins. "Hacking" a tabletop system probably sounds like theft to people unfamiliar with it and he gave the source material its due. Fans gonna fan. He said he made a game that's a stripped down PbtA and that should be sufficient.

this is stupid as gently caress, a first time GM shouldn't be making his own PbtA hack, especially if the system he HAS been running has been so far removed from Apocalypse World, the original and basically still only actual good PbtA game, and calling it a "stripped down PbtA game with CYOA elements" is loving NONSENSE.

Also, PbtA lives and dies on 2 things: character interaction and player agency in the creation of the world. I'm sure the first thing will come more in later episodes, but the boat is so far past for the second bit I'm wondering why even bother.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 14, 2017

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Alaois posted:

this is stupid as gently caress, a first time GM shouldn't be making his own PbtA hack, especially if the system he HAS been running has been so far removed from Apocalypse World, the original and basically still only actual good PbtA game, and calling it a "stripped down PbtA game with CYOA elements" is loving NONSENSE.

Also, PbtA lives and dies on 2 things: character interaction and player agency in the creation of the world. I'm sure the first thing will come more in later episodes, but the boat is so far past for the second bit I'm wondering why even bother.

I forgot that Griffin was still working with a provisional game master license. Do you think he's logged enough supervised GMing hours to pass the driving portion? :ohdear: If you're going to be this way about it just hack your understanding of his description of the game to where you can be okay with the guy liking the concept of success, partial success and failure for conflict resolution for working through a backstory before getting back to the present day. Jesus.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 14, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

griffin should step aside and let me do it correctly

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's getting more and more frustrated by the Adventure Zone's shift into a more expository narrative. Taako, Magnus, and Merle are great character, but it really feels like they haven't been given much to do recently, they just make a couple decisions in between lore monologues. I used to really love how Tres Horny Boys hosed around with Griffin and the world and characters he creates, but now they just feel railroaded into a subpar, poorly-structured fantasy epic. I'm ready for this campaign to end.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

people on twitter are telling Griffin to read homestuck and that's just hosed up. Does he look like someone that has time to read fuckin' Homestuck

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Might as well not even finish the story, something awful has spoken. It's basically over already, too bad the entire thing is a worthless failure now

Beekeeping and You posted:

The secret to not getting harassed for breaking D&D rules is to make up your OWN ruleset

Lmao in retrospect at this post

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's getting more and more frustrated by the Adventure Zone's shift into a more expository narrative. Taako, Magnus, and Merle are great character, but it really feels like they haven't been given much to do recently, they just make a couple decisions in between lore monologues. I used to really love how Tres Horny Boys hosed around with Griffin and the world and characters he creates, but now they just feel railroaded into a subpar, poorly-structured fantasy epic. I'm ready for this campaign to end.

I'm enjoying the podcast but yeah I'm ready to get into a new world. This campaign has reached the video game equivalent of "okay all the goofy open world exploring is over, here are some unskippable cutscenes to get through before you go fight the end boss."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Might as well not even finish the story, something awful has spoken. It's basically over already, too bad the entire thing is a worthless failure now

Lmao in retrospect at this post

thanks for the input, guy who really, really vigorously defended Oh Joy Sex Toy

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
imho its also worth noting that "the system" governing this game also means the stuff to deal with the passage of time, the game being broken up into yearly units, the possible actions players can take in A Year, etc. Tabeltop gaming systems aren't just their dice system and conflict resolution mechanic.

As Griffin's mentioned on Twitter, there's actually a fair bit of The Yawgh mixed into that, I guess-- players have units of time they need to figure out how to use to prepare for A Bad Thing That Is Going To Happen.

edit: also lup rules and is already the arc mvp after one episode

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alaois posted:

thanks for the input, guy who really, really vigorously defended Oh Joy Sex Toy

I was really only defending the author, as of the comics I was even talking about were done literally years before Oh joy sex toy happened. sorry for reading comics and retaining information from them I guess

Serf
May 5, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

imho its also worth noting that "the system" governing this game also means the stuff to deal with the passage of time, the game being broken up into yearly units, the possible actions players can take in A Year, etc. Tabeltop gaming systems aren't just their dice system and conflict resolution mechanic.

As Griffin's mentioned on Twitter, there's actually a fair bit of The Yawgh mixed into that, I guess-- players have units of time they need to figure out how to use to prepare for A Bad Thing That Is Going To Happen.

edit: also lup rules and is already the arc mvp after one episode

Griffin has clearly been listening to a lot of Friends at the Table, and I like where he's going with this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i hadn't seen this before.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really don't give a poo poo about what system they use or what the story is (I'm vaguely interested in the overarching narrative but rather more interested in character resolutions), all I care about is that we get character roleplaying and interaction over Clint, Travis, and Justin just vaguely describing what they do and sitting back.

The bear fight is like a prime example of what I'm talking about; that should've been a great scene with awesome character interactions (Lup and Taako and Barry hanging out should've been great too, especially considering we know that Lup and Barry end up together), but instead it's just rolling a dice, then Griffin telling them what happened. It's such a dull way to resolve what should've been a great character moment for Magnus, and it happens all the time in this episode and, from what I gather, is entirely what this arc will be.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Serf posted:

Griffin has clearly been listening to a lot of Friends at the Table, and I like where he's going with this.

I've gotten into and bounced off of friends at the table so many times but boy do they pick good games.

Adventure Zone [K.N.I.G.H.T.S] doesn't do anything for me, so I'm hoping they hop off dnd for a while.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Alaois posted:

Aren't you one of the people who wouldn't stop talking about how Griffin absolutely needed to switch to Apocalypse World or Dungeon World immediately every time game systems came up? Now all those people are annoyed it wasn't done 'correctly'? Jesus.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The bear fight is like a prime example of what I'm talking about; that should've been a great scene with awesome character interactions (Lup and Taako and Barry hanging out should've been great too, especially considering we know that Lup and Barry end up together), but instead it's just rolling a dice, then Griffin telling them what happened. It's such a dull way to resolve what should've been a great character moment for Magnus, and it happens all the time in this episode and, from what I gather, is entirely what this arc will be.

The problem with that is, for the amount of ground Griffin wants to cover, that kind of interaction would take like 15 episodes to get through. You can argue that maybe Griffin got caught up in the story he wanted to tell and should have gone a different way to make it short enough without taking 20 hours to get through, but these are first time role players and story tellers. It doesn't make them above reproach, but I'll forgive them experimenting and occasionally failing in a medium that doesn't really give them second takes to get it right.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 14, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
holy gently caress no one cares at all.

Nick was on the Comedy Button podcast, he was funny and they discussed The Cheeto Incident, go listen to that or some poo poo.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Alaois posted:

This is extremely important guys, you can tell by how much I say the bad cuss words

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Griffin really rolled a 7-9 on this one.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
For all Griffin's talk about wanting to "stick the landing" on the end of this arc, fundamentally changing the format of his successful podcast is a funny way of trying to accomplish that.

An easy fix would have been, "Hey let me ask my creative and funny family to write up some vignettes about what kind of mischief they'd get up to on multiple, infinite worlds" release the results in some format and then put the drat thing to bed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Aren't you one of the people who wouldn't stop talking about how Griffin absolutely needed to switch to Apocalypse World or Dungeon World immediately every time game systems came up? Now all those people are annoyed it wasn't done 'correctly'? Jesus.

Yes actually it turns out that doing something poorly is sometimes worse than not doing it at all!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MTV Crib Death posted:

For all Griffin's talk about wanting to "stick the landing" on the end of this arc, fundamentally changing the format of his successful podcast is a funny way of trying to accomplish that.

An easy fix would have been, "Hey let me ask my creative and funny family to write up some vignettes about what kind of mischief they'd get up to on multiple, infinite worlds" release the results in some format and then put the drat thing to bed.

Doing that and then having at some kind of in-character Moth Radio Hour would have been pretty good.

Oh well, growing pains and all that. I agree with the poster who said that TAZ is transitioning into video game cut scene ending mode, but I knew that was inevitable months ago. I'm not terribly invested in this ending, but I'm willing to stay on for the ride and mainly anticipate whatever the next saga might be.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Alaois posted:

Yes actually it turns out that doing something poorly is sometimes worse than not doing it at all!

For example: posting.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

MTV Crib Death posted:

temporarily

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It could also be a soft open for the rule set of a superhero campaign (which is what I hope they do next). The good-okay-bad results have more flexibility to mix things up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

holy gently caress no one cares at all.

Nick was on the Comedy Button podcast, he was funny and they discussed The Cheeto Incident, go listen to that or some poo poo.

God help me, the Cheeto Incident is the funniest thing I've ever heard, especially Griffin's reaction to it on last week's Cool Games Inc.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm actually surprised by how much Nick is parting the kimono about the Cheeto Incident on this Comedy Button podcast

EDIT: Also, surprisingly, the new Cool Games Inc has dropped early this afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

poor life choice posted:

Griffin really rolled a 7-9 on this one.
I thought this post was funny and agree with it!