Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Make sure you warn him his daughters a real lightweight, and that it's normal for her to pass out after 1 beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If we go to war I hope there is a bunch of sick new anti war songs written

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Ehud posted:

If we go to war I hope there is a bunch of sick new anti war songs written

gonna see metallica's long-awaited followup...."Two"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

JPrime posted:

gonna see metallica's long-awaited followup...."Two"

zero

it all goes back to zero man

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ZenVulgarity posted:

zero

it all goes back to zero man

One

- Human

Adds up

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What the gently caress. Do you have a ballpark estimate % of this occurrence?

P.S. I love you, and the world is a better place because you are in it.

Woo, wall of text time!

No idea honestly, the foster home question is tough to predict because we have such high turnover to begin with, plus in my state it's become a kind of a feedback loop; over the last five years we have fewer treatment programs and fewer foster homes, which means we're both putting higher needs kids into lower levels of care, less able to match kids to providers meaning less stable relationships/rapport, and overfilling foster homes more often. The antecedents are debatable, but definite factors have been decreasing foster parent payments in 2010 or so with no subsequent increases or adjustments for inflation, fewer supports available, and provider frustration at the aforementioned dealing with greater numbers of high needs kids. All that being said, this tends to be less concerning to me, foster parents are inherently intended to be short term, and while that's often not the case and I'd rather they be more invested, it's a different animal than what's intended to be a permanent placement.

I'm sure somebody in the agency could compare the number of yearly adoptions to adoptive parents having new cases open or kids coming back into care, but I don't have access to that data. I've had 3 such cases in 3 1/2 years, compared to an estimated 30 or so overall, but my caseload is hard to compare to the agency's overall numbers; I'm assigned to a teen unit, so on the one hand I deal with a number of delinquency cases independent of parental safety risks (in this state there's a memo of understanding between DHS Child Welfare and DoJ Juvenile Services Division, that is, protective services and juvenile probation officers, allowing the court to grant temporary custody to DHS on a delinquency petition for the purpose of services and placement), but on the other hand I've a greater likelihood of handling failed adoption since older kids are more likely to be returned (it takes time for adoptive parents to bail, so the kid is more likely older, plus teens are more likely to be utter turds). It's also important to note I've had just plain bad luck with these cases, I've handled as many failed adoptions as caseworkers who've been with the agency for 20 years, so my experience is obviously subjective.

And, while I appreciate the kind words, I just view it as a question of fit. I love the role I play, equal parts coordinator, attorney, therapist, teacher, and guidance counselor, but without the added weight of having to be particularly good at any of those. Ultimately I don't have to worry about a major commitment on any of those fronts, my job is to be in the background and connect the kid to the necessary figures to do all those things, so I can exit gracefully. Naturally that often winds up not being the case, but I decided after about 5 years I hated being a therapist, I enjoy clocking out at 5 so I'd be a really bad provider (as much as I like my own kid, just the 1 is enough for me), and I get to play lawyer without learning Latin or $150,000 in law school debt. There are way too many people who commit way more than me, I'm just the bureaucrat with a bleeding heart. Therapists, mentors, CASAs, and most of all, foster parents are the really impressive people in the system.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

luke 8:14

I couldn't find 8:14, but I found 8:10

http://www.bricktestament.com/the_parables_of_jesus/use_of_parables_explained/lk08_10.html

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
New star wars looks dope

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Blitz7x posted:

New star wars looks dope

Hell yeah star war

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Same director as Brick so I'm actually excited.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

New star wars looks dope

That teaser was awesome fuuucckkkkk

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

A Man and his dog posted:

I kinda wonder what my life would be like if I had a family.

What kind of things do you like to do? Now imaging getting to do them four times a year and being made to feel guilty the whole time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Make sure you warn him his daughters a real lightweight, and that it's normal for her to pass out after 1 beer

Lmfao

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I'm 30 and have no kids and life is great.

I kinda wonder what my life would be like if I had a family.

Instead of constantly disappointing a different woman and her family all the time, you would be disappointing the same woman and her family all the time.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Talk to me when you can perform a successful open heart surgery

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Talk to me when you can perform a successful omelette or fish taco

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If we go to war in Korea can you guys squat in my house so my poo poo don't get looted like what happened to Japanese Americans when they drag me my sister and my elderly mother to the Korea Kamps

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah this is about to get terrible for Koreans (and east Asians in general, let's be real). Sorry dude.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Yeah this is about to get terrible for Koreans (and east Asians in general, let's be real). Sorry dude.

Are there people in the world who think all vaguely Asian looking people are sympathetic to North Korea of all places?

Well aside from Bill Parcells.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What kind of things do you like to do? Now imaging getting to do them four times a year and being made to feel guilty the whole time.

You missed the part where he brags about his dad's money that he won't inherit because he's going to die from cirrhosis of the liver

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hot take: Ryan Getzlaf and John Gibson are good

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I prefer to practice on things that are actually difficult :smug:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ehud posted:

lol I was wondering what it was gonna say

I just picked a random gospel verse because it would be something Jesus said or something about Jesus

The trick to fake gospel verses is just have a chapter of Mark in the twenties.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Grittybeard posted:

Are there people in the world who think all vaguely Asian looking people are sympathetic to North Korea of all places?

Probably not and I'm mostly joking but also I'm not expecting a lot of rational actors too.

Star Wars looks dope though!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

The trick to fake gospel verses is just have a chapter of Mark in the twenties.

nah, 2 Kings 2:23-24 is where it's at.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

No Irish Need Imply posted:

:(

Maybe I'll be dead before Trump defunds my program.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I just had ribs for lunch because I'm a dumb idiot and now I need a nap

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

best bible verse is Isiah 36:12

"But Rabshakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?" -KJV

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The filthy rags in the classic Jesus verse about man's righteousness is actually a sanitized translation of menstrual cloth

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

There are people that are actually sympathetic to North Korea and it is very strange

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Deuteronomy 23:13 has always been a favorite.

"And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee"

It's just good advice.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

the mean lunch lady posted:

There are people that are actually sympathetic to North Korea and it is very strange

I mean I'm really sympathetic to everyone stuck there outside of the top leadership.

Can't remove those guys without making things way worse for a whole lot more people then them though.

That people go there as a tourist has always been weird as hell to me though, but thanks to it, we've gotten a lot of pictures of what NK wants and doesn't want the world to see, and it's fascinating in a very late 80's soviet block kind of way or like the brightly painted slums where every cruise ship sails past.

Like giant supermarkets where you see the small section that's fully stocked with food, and the sneaked out pictures of where people actually get groceries.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

I mean I'm really sympathetic to everyone stuck there outside of the top leadership.

Can't remove those guys without making things way worse for a whole lot more people then them though.

That people go there as a tourist has always been weird as hell to me though, but thanks to it, we've gotten a lot of pictures of what NK wants and doesn't want the world to see, and it's fascinating in a very late 80's soviet block kind of way or like the brightly painted slums where every cruise ship sails past.

Like giant supermarkets where you see the small section that's fully stocked with food, and the sneaked out pictures of where people actually get groceries.

My mom saw some of those pictures and she said it was really weird to see their fashion as it was all 50s like to her so it's being a time traveler to when she was a little girl in rural post war Korea

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I'm reasonably sure that huge rear end bomb we dropped yesterday could've paid for several years of Meals on Wheels.

That's kind of depressing to think about.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Chromatic posted:

I'm reasonably sure that huge rear end bomb we dropped yesterday could've paid for several years of Meals on Wheels.

That's kind of depressing to think about.

gently caress the poor though, it's a war economy now Snake

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I have a lot of nieces and nephews because I have a lot of sibs. Would definitely like to have kids someday.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Can't remember where I read this but I remember a story of some visitors to NK walking into a big mall to check out the local fast food joint, but when they got there there was just one guy in an empty restaurant. When he saw the visitors approach, he quickly ran to the backroom and a minute later the "restaurant employees" appeared in their uniforms and started serving burgers.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just ate

Soft shell crab
6 oysters
Fried scallops
Fried clams
Calamari
2 beers

I'm ready to gently caress!!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just ate

Soft shell crab
6 oysters
Fried scallops
Fried clams
Calamari
2 beers

I'm ready to gently caress!!

Hope you don't have to poo poo in mid coitus and let some slip out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I am stuck in the middle of nowhere for the weekend because my wife's parents decided that Irvine was too busy of a city so they moved north of SLO.

I am so bored.

• Locked thread