Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Also if you die then you have to replay the entire game over from the beginning.

Speaking of Platinum, Bayonetta finally got released and PC and as somebody who loves Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of how easy defense is thanks to the accessible parry and the abundance of opportunities to heal at any given time I can't believe how much of a regression it is. Not only does dodging and parrying require frame-perfect timing but your health persists across chapters and the game gives a huge penalty to your ratings for using any healing items at all :tif:

Parrying is sort of an advanced technique since it requires you to buy a massively expensive item, but the dodge timing is nowhere near frame perfect unless you're playing as Jean. Some of the enemies (Grace and Glory) are ultra bitches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Croccers posted:

Hard but the difficulty can swing too.
Glinthawks can't gently caress off and die fast enough (Yes I am using Fire, yes I am using Corruption arrows) but I generally don't have too many issues with Stormbirds.
The Cargo Crabs are simple but if I'm fighting them on a slope the camera fuckery gets me murdered.
Sometimes it feels like the enemy machine attacks track you waaaay too much.

I found the wubwub arrows to be the best for glinthawks. It usually drops them at the least but if you aim halfway decent also pops their chest thing and makes them freeze

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just did the first Cauldron, and my god that Blowback with like 3 Seekers was a nightmare. Took me way too many tries to kill it. I'm at level 12 out of the recommended level of 8.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

thecluckmeme posted:

Yooka-Laylee's camera works really well as a 3D platformer

Until it locks perspective.

Then it's the worst ever.

Banjo Kazooie never contextually locked the camera that bad, why the gently caress am I blind jumping on this poo poo?

How is the game in general? I've kind of been waiting for it for awhile, but I read some bad reviews on it so I'm not sure I should get it (or at least not for full price).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just did the first Cauldron, and my god that Blowback with like 3 Seekers was a nightmare. Took me way too many tries to kill it. I'm at level 12 out of the recommended level of 8.

Cauldron fights require you to always be moving. Never stop never stopping. Hit weak points with elemental weaknesses as well. Popping the butts on those big fuckers is a massive damage blast to everything around it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kruller posted:

Cauldron fights require you to always be moving. Never stop never stopping. Hit weak points with elemental weaknesses as well. Popping the butts on those big fuckers is a massive damage blast to everything around it.

I was shooting it's butt with fire arrows but it wasn't doing much. Do I need piercing arrows first to break the armour before hand?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Somfin posted:

You can also hit them with stolen Angel weapons, Torture attacks, ranged attacks, and the hair strikes from the last hit in a combo (even if the previous attacks missed). It's a standard Platinum thing to drop in an (otherwise-weak) enemy who gets to freely negate a swath of your less interesting moves.

Flaming enemies can also, appropriately, be hit by the weapons that are always on fire.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BioEnchanted posted:

I was shooting it's butt with fire arrows but it wasn't doing much. Do I need piercing arrows first to break the armour before hand?

Isn't the first cauldron a flame bellowback? Those are weak to frost

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The creators of Fallout 4 seem convinced that fighting ghouls in cramped spaces is super fun, and I want to do a lot of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How are you guys playing the old King's Field games? I wish they were on the PSN or something so I could play 'em on my Vita. The Ancient City was cool as gently caress.

On topic - how on earth is the Switch's eShop so loving atrocious in 2017?! Did you guys know that I Am Setsuna is available for the Switch? Neither did I, until I saw someone actually playing it somewhere, because there's literally no way to see it in the eShop unless you search for it! It's really too bad that Nintendo is so innovative that they're stuck trying to invent things like "a digital storefront" - it's a really cool idea, y'know, being able to buy games whenever you want, but I feel like if anyone had ever implemented something like this before, there might be some kind of examples on what works and what doesn't. Alas, Nintendo, the innovators, stand alone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

On topic - how on earth is the Switch's eShop so loving atrocious in 2017?!
The PS4's is also incredible garbage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The PS4's is also incredible garbage.

The PS4's isn't great but do you by any chance remember the PS3's eShop when it first launched over a decade ago and was literally an unsecured webpage? The Switch's eShop is worse than that, by far, in 2017. You literally can't see a game unless it's a new release, a best seller, or you search for it specifically - at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FactsAreUseless posted:

The creators of Fallout 4 seem convinced that fighting ghouls in cramped spaces is super fun, and I want to do a lot of it.

It's a lot of fun if you have a sledgehammer

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Yeah, I enjoy fallout 4 (and 3 + NV) a lot more when I use melee weapons. I'm pretty god awful at shooting guns and moving at the same time.
I do feel like whoever made fallout 4 kind of hates melee builds though with the introduction of mutant suiciders.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

The PS4's isn't great but do you by any chance remember the PS3's eShop when it first launched over a decade ago and was literally an unsecured webpage? The Switch's eShop is worse than that, by far, in 2017. You literally can't see a game unless it's a new release, a best seller, or you search for it specifically - at all.
lmao that sucks

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's not true, you can use the search to bring up a list of everything. Which is still, like, 50 games or so if that.

It also loads immediately so lmao at comparing it in any way to the PS3.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Phantasium posted:

That's not true, you can use the search to bring up a list of everything. Which is still, like, 50 games or so if that.

Ah, yes, search, that's definitely where I go when I'm looking to browse a list, how on earth could I have missed that. Good design.

quote:

It also loads immediately so lmao at comparing it in any way to the PS3.

The PSN store didn't get stupidly slow until the redesign in 2012. There was a sweet four-year period between the web-based monstrosity and the quagmire of unending loading periods we have now where everything worked great and had good response times, then they fixed it until it broke.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's when it's time to break out the ol' shotgun.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

Way too many enemies in bayonetta just kind of zoom off screen then suddenly you're being hit by something you couldn't even see.

I'm surprised, because Platinum's pretty good about this in my experience. The only attacks I've ever had come from off screen in Bayo1 are from the Angel Buglers (who have an audio cue to let you know it's coming), or if I've kept one of the big dogs off-screen too long. The big dogs aren't usually grouped with a lot of other enemies, so there's no reason they should be off-screen for a great period of time unless you're trying to cheese the fight. Not even the Archers fire at me from off-screen. It's not like Ninja Gaiden Black's Spider Clan Ninjas, who will stunlock you with exploding kunai from off-screen if you give them any sort of opportunity to do so.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

Damage arrows I believe are what you want for the butt and the gullet. You want flaming arrows for blaze canisters. Anything that isn't a canister is typically better damaged with damage arrows. Getting armor out of the way first doesn't hurt, but the butt on the bellowbacks is hard to miss and isn't armored.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Companions also seem to think that ghouls in tight spaces are the best thing ever, and seem to like to corral me closer to the action. loving Codsworth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inco posted:

I'm surprised, because Platinum's pretty good about this in my experience. The only attacks I've ever had come from off screen in Bayo1 are from the Angel Buglers (who have an audio cue to let you know it's coming), or if I've kept one of the big dogs off-screen too long. The big dogs aren't usually grouped with a lot of other enemies, so there's no reason they should be off-screen for a great period of time unless you're trying to cheese the fight. Not even the Archers fire at me from off-screen. It's not like Ninja Gaiden Black's Spider Clan Ninjas, who will stunlock you with exploding kunai from off-screen if you give them any sort of opportunity to do so.

All of the enemies have distinct audio and visual cues to let you know when they're attacking no matter where they are but yes, Fairness and Fearless are bullshit enemies because their windups are nil and their attacks cover a huge amount of ground.

The worst are the Kinships, though. Missile-spamming boat-rear end motherfuckers.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I just got to the second Paradiso level in Bayonetta, and it brought back a whole lot of poo poo I forgot from the first time I played. Shortly after a couple of boss refights, there's an area where you have to fight a pair of highly mobile enemies on a double-wide staircase. The battle arena isn't wide enough to allow the camera to do anything but point up or down the staircase, so the camera is losing is goddamn poo poo the entire time. It can't figure out where it wants to be, so it just keeps rotating around Bayonetta at a dizzying speed. Also these enemies are some sort of special assholes who don't allow Witch Time to activate off their attacks, since I've fought them 5 times and haven't pulled it off once.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i remember one area in bayo that drove me up the wall with all the dodging i had to do from the homing missiles firing off the angelic boats.

i just finished the Ringed City DLC. the frame rate dropped to static images during an npc phantom invasion and got progressively better after each retry. it was really weird since nowhere else took a performance hit.

also i really wasn't feeling the dragon fight in this game. most of the fight is spent closing ground on the drat thing and then when you do it just does flame strikes or rush attacks before you can even react. like i've dealt with kalameet after gough winged him and even king of storms doesn't spend most of the fight kiting you.

the only good thing i'll say about it is that my successful run had a summon that mvp'd the fight by chucking lightning bolts at it. i had to pause for a moment because it was the first time i'd noticed the gameplay perfectly meshing with the lore.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's weird, most of my fights against ghouls in that game took place in open outdoor areas. Indoors mostly had raiders and robots.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

That's weird, most of my fights against ghouls in that game took place in open outdoor areas. Indoors mostly had raiders and robots.
Oh, they want me to fight ghouls there too.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I remember there being one or two ghoul encounters in FO4 that really clicked for me in terms of feeling like a wasteland scavenger that hubristically poked their nose somewhere better left forgotten but overall they were definitely the worst, most unfun enemy type to fight in a game stuffed to the gills with lovely unfun enemies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

Probably depends on which areas you happened to go to in the world. Facts is right, there's a huge number of places with a bunch of ghouls. They're not terrible IMO, they just get kind of old after awhile.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
http://i.imgur.com/byretUX.gifv

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Persona 5, the amount of mandatory plot events stuffed between the fourth and fifth dungeons is galling.
It took me something like 3-4 hours of gameplay to begin the next dungeon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know how Fallout 4 plays on pc but trying to shoot ghouls with analogue sticks was really terrible.

A melee enemy that constantly runs around with an attack that moves it behind you, great. Almost as much fun as the enemies with unlimited molotovs that one hit kill on harder difficulties.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I don't know how Fallout 4 plays on pc but trying to shoot ghouls with analogue sticks was really terrible.

A melee enemy that constantly runs around with an attack that moves it behind you, great. Almost as much fun as the enemies with unlimited molotovs that one hit kill on harder difficulties.

This was also why the shooting in Bioshock made me bounce off it with a vengeance. Shooting fast melee enemies with a bob and weave fetish is kinda garbage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like that radiation just reduces your max HP until you can get that cured. And everything is radioactive.

Hope you like having 1/10th of your HP because the game just decided it was nuclear storm day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Futuresight posted:

This was also why the shooting in Bioshock made me bounce off it with a vengeance. Shooting fast melee enemies with a bob and weave fetish is kinda garbage.
Bioshock games just have terrible shooting in general.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Dogmeat is such a good dog. It's a shame you can't bring him and another follower around because the new follower system is so complicated or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait there are other followers besides Dogmeat? Why?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Danaru posted:

Wait there are other followers besides Dogmeat? Why?

Mostly to just spam your quest log with endless quests that deactivate themselves after awhile and stay cluttered but unfinishable in your quest log.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

scarycave posted:

Dogmeat is such a good dog. It's a shame you can't bring him and another follower around because the new follower system is so complicated or something.

Dogmeat is cool but I had fun dressing up Piper as a cyborg.

You're the Chosen One and your 'companions' will wear whatever you tell them to wear

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Ghouls are the reason I constantly hammer the VATS button. Also gently caress Glowing Ones with a vengeance, how dare you sprout up from behind cover and resurrect all the loving ghouls I just killed!

E: gently caress Radscorpions too, motherfuckers like to pop up near safes that are strategically placed in the wilderness and scare my little baby self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

vats the ghouls in the leg and they collapse and stop walking. this too works for things like radscorpions and deathclaws