Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

But even then, the pods realize that they are just giving them the potential to do something new, and the same thing might still happen again and again and again. It adds a small bit of hope of something but also might have done nothing but create a new cycle

That's called "being alive," yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't that ending have an amazing line about "life being a pretty much continuous stream of embarrassing moments"?

It's so good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snak posted:

Doesn't that ending have an amazing line about "life being a pretty much continuous stream of embarrassing moments"?

It's so good.

It does, yes.

And yeah, they're loose from the cycle, if they let themselves be. Both on a personal level (since 2E and Nines don't have to go on in the murder loop any more), and societally (Now androids know the con that's been run on them for countless centuries, and aren't getting fooled again).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I guess the ending is a lot like that of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind where how hopeful you think it is depends a lot on you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I guess the ending is a lot like that of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind where how hopeful you think it is depends a lot on you.

"So you're sayin' there's a chance!"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This game is so good and even though I started playing BotW and Persona 5, I feel like my heart is still dwelling with Nier: Automata. The soundtrack and the directing in the game go so well together that listening to a lot of the tracks, I still have this strong impression of the emotions from the scenes they were used in. I know some people aren't crazy about the ending, but I feel like it gives the story enough breathing room to stay alive in my imagination.

:allears: I just think this game is swell.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Ha!

You make this yourself?
That would be me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

That would be me.

:neckbeard:

Well, it's great.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks! Know what's really great? Nier Automata

Playthrough C
When A2 dashes she turns red for a few seconds and hovers if you hold the button, but I've never found a purpose for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pants Donkey posted:

Thanks! Know what's really great? Nier Automata

Playthrough C
When A2 dashes she turns red for a few seconds and hovers if you hold the button, but I've never found a purpose for it.

You do more damage temporarily while she's red.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I do find it interesting that Pascal is the one counter-example to the whole "the machines can't break out of their programming themselves, even if they think they have" issue, what with how he explicitly goes against the pacifism the Terminals built into him in order to protect the children.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sandman posted:

I do find it interesting that Pascal is the one counter-example to the whole "the machines can't break out of their programming themselves, even if they think they have" issue, what with how he explicitly goes against the pacifism the Terminals built into him in order to protect the children.

Eh.... is it really going against his programming if he's just tapping into his deeper programming to be a killing machine? If anything it kind of shows how the pacifist evolution didn't take nearly as strongly as it seemed to.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, side note, probably discussed already, but that just struck me as rather clever?

The way YoRHa was structured, with a "terrible secret" known only to the top brass, the whole council of humanity thing.

It means that everyone who knows assumes they're "in the know" is going to try to stop anyone from poking too deep, and finding out the whole expiration date deal. There's more than enough to keep quiet already, and they're too busy with that to look for more.

It's just this cycle, the timing worked out just right for Nines to survive poking at what he shouldn't know, and things spiraled further from there.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I just got ending B and now I'm getting my rear end kicked repeatedly by common machines. (Bold choice to put a combat difficulty cliff right after you play Galaxy Wars for a few hours.) I've been blasting through the main story which I'm loving and ignoring side quests -- did I skip doing something and screw my character? JRPG side quest poo poo feels tedious to me these days and Zelda spoiled me on open world exploration so if I have to do any of that I'm probably going to set this aside. Should I suck it up and drop down to easy like a filthy casual?

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

acksplode posted:

I just got ending B and now I'm getting my rear end kicked repeatedly by common machines. (Bold choice to put a combat difficulty cliff right after you play Galaxy Wars for a few hours.) I've been blasting through the main story which I'm loving and ignoring side quests -- did I skip doing something and screw my character? JRPG side quest poo poo feels tedious to me these days and Zelda spoiled me on open world exploration so if I have to do any of that I'm probably going to set this aside. Should I suck it up and drop down to easy like a filthy casual?

Consider having a look at your plugin chips. Heal-on-kill/damage is pretty good, and a small amount of evade range goes a long way too. I also like a small auto-heal just to top me up between fights if I get hit a little bit.

Also, weapon damage matters whenever you can't hack, so consider upgrading your favorite pair to level 4 using the forest smith.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The game expects you to be around level 45 when you get Ending B, which is easily done if you did some sidequests along the way, but if you beelined main quest you'll be at around level 35 or so. You can make up for being underleveled by slotting in a good set of chips, but if you're at the part I think you're at, you might not have access to that right now.

The sidequests in this game are pretty good, honestly. Pretty much all of them are relevant either thematically or for character development.

Might just want to suck it up and drop it to easy until you get access to shops again.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What percentage of Unit Data do I need to complete the scanner unit's quest? Because I'm already at 83% and I still can't clear it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've heard 95.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've heard 95.
It's 95 and it loving sucks trying to finish it. You have to go through the list on the wiki site and find all the gaps and search for rare-spawns. It's really the worst part of the whole game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the scanner quest sucks because you not only have to fight every enemy type in the game, but you also have to fight every variant of every enemy, some of which appear once and are easy to miss, some of which rarely spawn. When checking what you have, go to the model viewer of the enemy and cycle the outfits because each of those outfits are like an extra half a percent.

Unrelated to that, I think if I had any complaint about the game from a gameplay perspective, I wish there was a difficulty between normal and hard. I found normal too easy and hard too unforgiving for my liking. Like towards the end of even my B playthough, I was a pretty overpowered but when I upped it to hard, I would constantly be one shotted even when changing my chips to be more defensive and damage absorbing. Ah well, not a huge deal.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When checking what you have, go to the model viewer of the enemy and cycle the outfits because each of those outfits are like an extra half a percent
Just FYI, you can cycle through the models from the list itself and not have to actually go into the model viewer to cycle through them. This shaves off a few seconds of poopy work. :)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Cephas posted:

This game is so good and even though I started playing BotW and Persona 5, I feel like my heart is still dwelling with Nier: Automata. The soundtrack and the directing in the game go so well together that listening to a lot of the tracks, I still have this strong impression of the emotions from the scenes they were used in. I know some people aren't crazy about the ending, but I feel like it gives the story enough breathing room to stay alive in my imagination.

:allears: I just think this game is swell.

Same here. So many good games to play but the soundtrack is on constant loop in my head and I keep thinking about what I just played Ending E

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Question about the post-game shop: which achievements are the Ending E/All Endings/Emil Fight ones? I don't wanna buy them but I DO wanna buy the rest of the ones I'm missing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't follow achievements but are you guys talking about paying actual money to say that you did something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

I don't follow achievements but are you guys talking about paying actual money to say that you did something?

No, there's a postgame shop that lets you spend in-game currency to automatically pop trophies. They're not even that expensive.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Oh, I didn't even realize that. And here I am hunting down joke endings like a sucker!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I would really like to see the stats on how many people buy/earn each trophy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I earned every single trophy with utter joy because this game owns and anything that helps me pull an extra second of gameplay out of it is worth it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My favorite thing about the trophy shop is the trophy for having 100,000 G costs 100,000 G to unlock.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite thing about the trophy shop is the trophy for having 100,000 G costs 100,000 G to unlock.

That's amazing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

I love this game :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bad Seafood posted:

lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I did all the trophies except the upskirt one (which seemed dumb) and the pantsless one (because it was dumb and would take time)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Exploding 9S' pants off is not dumb and is in fact the intended way to play the game.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I just beat ending A and can't seem to find the chips that I was using during that run. Am I supposed to have gotten them back into my inventory? I did die a few times on the final boss but I didn't see a body to collect.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just bought this

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

i just bought this

Good move

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

potatoducks posted:

I just beat ending A and can't seem to find the chips that I was using during that run. Am I supposed to have gotten them back into my inventory? I did die a few times on the final boss but I didn't see a body to collect.

If you died on the boss and didn't collect your body, those chips are gone.

Happened to me as well. If you still had your chips, they'd be slotted in like usual.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Fair enough, thanks. Glad I kept a save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

And Tyler Too! posted:

Got a controller, this game is so much more enjoyable now. I just have a few bad habits to break. Monster Hunter has me conditioned to dodge *into* attacks instead of away from them. I hosed sawblade guy up this time. Do you ever get to return to the starting area? I found a locked chest and it was taunting me. I don't care what's inside it, I won't let that chest win.

So speaking of Monster Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwUXUzII4xw