Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Reene posted:

I'm amazed at how wrong a person can be about Small Gods. It was the first Discworld book I ever read and is still my favorite. The ending still makes me tear up every time I go back for a re-read. The apparent inability to understand what the book was about on a basic level and how beautifully Pratchett put the story together right up to the last paragraph just kills me.

No see it doesn't have real moral conflicts like a kid trying to jerk it while his parents are trying to get into the bathroom

That's something worth running to the bookstore to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's interesting to think of antagonists in Pratchett's books. He managed to cover a variety of very different types, with varying degrees of having a direct or indirect presence.

As has been said, a recurring trait of the human antagonists is a lack of empathy. They're seldom insane; quite the opposite - very chillingly sane. Or for the stories where the stakes aren't world-threatening, incredibly self-absorbed. And then you have the otherworldly ones - the Elves, and the Auditors who are completely amoral, but from the opposite ends of the spectrum (self obsessed, capricious, and malicious vs highly ordered and regulated).

And then there are the abstract concepts; the Gonne, the Music, the Summoning Dark.

It's quite a bunch, really.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
A lot of Pratchett's antagonists are absolutely human and believable; look at Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip and Lord de Word -- the first two are motivated by greed, the latter and his associates by haughtiness and racism. They all happen to have sympathetic sides as well, flashes of humanity and insights into their pasts that make them more than two dimensional setpieces.

I need to read The Truth again soon, that was such a good book. MUSIC VIZ ROCKS IN! :drac:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

precision posted:

I just now made the connection between Angua and "she-wolf of the SS". Wow I feel dumb.

Godddamnit

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pesky Splinter posted:

As has been said, a recurring trait of the human antagonists is a lack of empathy.

I think the best summation of his idea of evil is in... Wintersmith I think? Granny Weatherwax talks about sin being treating people as things.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Carpe Jugulum, when she was talking to the Omnian priest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Carpe Jugulum, when she was talking to the Omnian priest.

I just went looking for a Granny speech and spent 20 minutes reading all her quotes in Witches Abroad. Holy poo poo she was seriously the best character. It's insane to me that anyone prefers Vimes, at least in:re quotability.

“Good and bad is tricky," she said. "I ain't too certain about where people stand. P'raps what matters is which way you face.”

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, Granny has some really really fantastic character moments.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

precision posted:

I just now made the connection between Angua and "she-wolf of the SS". Wow I feel dumb.

What's the connection? Like yeah her brother is a notNazi and she's a hot German lady, but that's about it. Ilsa ran the concentration camp and was herself a Nazi. Other than 'is an attractive German lady' and 'can be called a she-wolf' I don't see much of a connection between Ilsa and Angua.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't get the joke of "music with rocks in". Is it supposed to be a pun or a reference to something? It just sounds like a sentence fragment to me

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I don't get the joke of "music with rocks in". Is it supposed to be a pun or a reference to something? It just sounds like a sentence fragment to me

Rock n' Roll. It's a very bad joke not up to his standards.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Or, even more on-the-nose and simply; rock music.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's that, it might also have a double meaning also being music with balls too.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Actually that line always struck me as really awkward. No one yells "Rock music!" as a kind of generic celebration

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Rock n' Roll. It's a very bad joke not up to his standards.

yeah but why is it phrased horribly

I get rock music but 'music with rocks in' doesn't make any sense

terry you wacky fellow ill have my ouiji board ready for you to answer this question tonight

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a callback to Soul Music, where pop music was invented on Discworld. The progenitors named themselves The Band With Rocks In because that's what the troll drummer used for drums, and Music With Rocks In became the accepted name for the new sound. They don't yell "Rock n' Roll" for the same reason they don't exclaim "Jesus Christ" but there are always local equivalents.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yes, I understand that but "the band with rocks in" sounds really stupid, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything
why isn't it "the band with rocks in it" it's missing a crucial word there

I live in 'a house with people in'

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yes, I understand that but "the band with rocks in" sounds really stupid, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything
why isn't it "the band with rocks in it" it's missing a crucial word there

I live in 'a house with people in'

:goonsay:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/54245/music-with-rocks-in-british-english

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
For example Veterinari is supposed to remind you of Medici, only slightly less so, just as a vet is not quite a doctor.

lol, i had never thought about the medici thing

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Hogge Wild posted:

For example Veterinari is supposed to remind you of Medici, only slightly less so, just as a vet is not quite a doctor.

:vince: Me, either.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Paul.Power posted:

Take that one literary critic who read Small God's after the Internet pestered him to read some Discworld - one of the bits that most stuck out to me from the review was his criticism of Vorbis, "a man without a single redeeming feature or any back story to explain how he became so utterly inhuman".
I realize we've mostly moved past this discussion, but I think it's worth pointing out the reason the internet 'pestered' Jones into reading Terry Pratchett was his previous column 'Get Real: Terry Pratchett is Not a Literary Genius, written a couple of months after Pratchett died, which opened with:

quote:

It does not matter to me if Terry Pratchett’s final novel is a worthy epitaph or not, or if he wanted it to be pulped by a steamroller. I have never read a single one of his books and I never plan to. Life’s too short. No offence, but Pratchett is so low on my list of books to read before I die that I would have to live a million years before getting round to him. I did flick through a book by him in a shop, to see what the fuss is about, but the prose seemed very ordinary. I don’t mean to pick on this particular author, except that the huge fuss attending and following his death this year is part of a very disturbing cultural phenomenon.
then meandered for a bit about the unwashed masses venerating common, plebeian, literature, listed some classics that Jones had just read and found superior, then finished with:

quote:

But Terry Pratchett? Get real. It’s time we stopped this pretence that mediocrity is equal to genius.
So he:
a) is a huge tosspot
b) probably didn't read Small Gods with the desire to find anything good about it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What a massive gobshite.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The guardian is not immune to pushing angry hackery to boost their CPM I see.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

Terry went into great detail about how he constructed his gags in an interview in 1991, between Reaper Man and Witches Abroad. Note also the last sentence, as the man casually demonstrates his insight again.

quote:

"Parody is the wrong kind of word, for say, Guards! Guards!. They're not parodies in there but resonances, I think. If you write something akin to a police procedural novel it resonates. It has to. There's no way you can avoid it happening. So all you have to do at times is simply tell people that that's exactly what does happen. In the same way that I'm doing the Discworld religions one, it has to resonate with lots of things which have been going on in the last few years, lots of things that people know about the Christian religion and Mohammedism and things like that. There is no way you can avoid that so you have to take it on board.

"An example of resonance in Guards! Guards! is Lady Sybil Ramkin (a breeder of miniature dragons, who sports a 'whinny if you love dragons' sticker on the back of her carriage and is a great supported of 'The Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons'): anyone who has ever kept any kind of animals which require showing knows where she's coming from. There's no parody as such; you could slot her in anywhere. She's a certain type and that type exists in vast numbers in the world, everyone can recognize her.

"On the other hand, a gag that no-one's ever said they've got is the Patrician's name, Lord Vetinari. I always think of the Patrician as a vaguely Florentine prince, a sort of Machiavelli and Robespierre rolled into one. And of course there was Medici. So I thought if you had the Medici then you would have the Dentistri and the Vetinari. The Discworld is full of things which don't look like gags but are gags if only you can work out what the intervening step is which I haven't given.

"I think in a few years' time Guards! Guards! will be at least as popular as, if not more popular than Mort, which up to now in terms of fan mail and things, has appeared the most popular."

Emphasis mine; once you start actively looking out for that sort of thing, you can't stop...

quote:

"Incidentally, the Seriph's palace, the Rhoxie, is indeed a 'resonance' with the Alhambra -- a famous Moorish palace which became a synonym for an impressive building, and later became a common cinema name as in Odeon and, yes, Roxy."

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 13, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The Vetinari thing was all but spelled out in Night Watch I thought, given that his nickname at school was "dog-botherer."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Reene posted:

The Vetinari thing was all but spelled out in Night Watch I thought, given that his nickname at school was "dog-botherer."

That his name sounds like "veterinarian" is obvious, what's less obvious is that this is a reference to anything in particular. That "Medici" sounds like "medic" and therefore their names are related is something that never occurred to me either. Especially since I've always more closely associated him with Machiavelli in my mind.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Apraxin posted:

I realize we've mostly moved past this discussion, but I think it's worth pointing out the reason the internet 'pestered' Jones into reading Terry Pratchett was his previous column 'Get Real: Terry Pratchett is Not a Literary Genius, written a couple of months after Pratchett died, which opened with:

Jones is the art world's version of Jeremy Clarkson, employed by the Guardian precisely because he rubs so many people the wrong way, thus ensuring a steady stream of clicks. Don't give him the satisfaction.

He's also infuriating because (like Clarkson) he's pigheaded and obstinate while still sometimes grazing upon the truth. Jones is correct that Pratchett doesn't have an above-average prose style, and he's also correct that this is par for the course in the SFF genre. He misses that the Discworld books are about a) dialogue, and b) the sum of their parts being greater than the whole.

Anyway, I just finished Lords and Ladies in my slow re-read of the series, and I think now (as I did when I was a teenager) that it's probably the best of the Witches series (with the caveat that I never read any of the Aching books). I always thought Pratchett was at his best when he did genuine drama amidst the comedy, and Lords and Ladies has a starter with Granny and Diamanda going through the standing stones and then escaping the elves, with the great third act where the kingdom is invaded entirely and there's a hugely creepy sense of terror from these malevolent elves. The whole thing is just fantastic. I think this part of the series is really where Pratchett starts transitioning from "good" to "great."

Also, the culmination of this book has Granny proud of herself for Borrowing a whole swarm of bees. I don't know if we do spoiler tags in the Pratchett appreciation thread, but is it just my imagination, or at some point does she Borrow, or at least sense, the whole country of Lancre? Has that already happened? Is it in Wyrd Sisters?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wyrd Sisters has two scenes where all the wild animals gather up to confront people, but that wasn't Granny, that was the will of the Lancre itself.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There is definitely a scene that ties it in with her Borrowing ability, I just can't remember which book it is. That's the problem with a re-read, I don't know if I'm remembering something from last year or 15 years ago.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

freebooter posted:

There is definitely a scene that ties it in with her Borrowing ability, I just can't remember which book it is. That's the problem with a re-read, I don't know if I'm remembering something from last year or 15 years ago.

In Wyrd sisters they discuss her communing with the land, and it is Borrowing in a way but not the same as when she controls the bees.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What's the connection? Like yeah her brother is a notNazi and she's a hot German lady, but that's about it. Ilsa ran the concentration camp and was herself a Nazi. Other than 'is an attractive German lady' and 'can be called a she-wolf' I don't see much of a connection between Ilsa and Angua.

It would be quite an embuggerance for me to find them but in The Fifth Elephant or one of the other Uberwald-heavy books there are several more jokes but I mean yeah you've grasped the basics of it, and the fact that it's such a basic reference is why I felt stupid for never seeing it before

Also for what it's worth I thought "music with rocks in" was a funny phrase

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm watching Soul Music on YouTube and there's a scene when they're touring the cities where some animator has snuck in a girl in the crowd who gets her tits out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Flipswitch posted:

I'm watching Soul Music on YouTube and there's a scene when they're touring the cities where some animator has snuck in a girl in the crowd who gets her tits out.

Only appropriate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

freebooter posted:

He's also infuriating because (like Clarkson) he's pigheaded and obstinate while still sometimes grazing upon the truth. Jones is correct that Pratchett doesn't have an above-average prose style, and he's also correct that this is par for the course in the SFF genre. He misses that the Discworld books are about a) dialogue, and b) the sum of their parts being greater than the whole.

I get really tired of hearing this complaint levied at SF, especially older SF, from critics who don't seem to have any grasp of the pulp background that the genre grew out of. In Pratchett's case, as you said, he deliberately writes in a very conversational style because it suits the tone he's trying for. Neither his writing nor the setting take themselves seriously right up until the brief moment that they do, and we get an epic moment of a character being true to themselves.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Cicadalek posted:

Actually that line always struck me as really awkward. No one yells "Rock music!" as a kind of generic celebration

I always interpreted that scene as Otto deliberately going up the scale of "phrases that get a dramatic lightning strike" and ending with "music with rocks in" which generates the thunderclap that forms the scene transition.
But I'll admit it's not the most straightforward gag.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know about you guys but I have heard people yell "ROCK AND ROOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!" at like, more than half the shows I've ever seen. And I'm not even counting Guitar Wolf in that.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
What happened to the rumoured remake of the truckers tv series, just dug my VHS copy out for the kids to watch and it really hasn't aged that badly

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Finally got around to reading Raising Steam. It well. It was a book and I'm glad I read it. It's a shame that a lot of the New Ankh stuff won't ever be fleshed out more, the modernization of Ankh-Morpork was always one of my favorite subjects, almost all of my favorite Discworld books are set there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Happy 25th of May. GNU Terry Pratchett. (and do you know where your towel is?)