Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

That's all well and good but that's just his fan fiction unless it's in a book someday.

Even if it's in a book it's fan fiction.

Depending on what you arbitrarily define as fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Godfather Part II is my favorite fan fiction.

Gaz-L posted:

Kitty is kinda Marvel's Dick Grayson in this regard, where they both started as tweens and gradually aged semi-realistically until they hit legal drinking age and stopped.
I really liked how Kitty was written in Wolverine and the X-men in which she definitely feels like she's pushing thirty.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Even if it's in a book it's fan fiction.

Depending on what you arbitrarily define as fanfiction.

In this case the definition would be "not published or acknowledged by the company that owns the intellectual property," and is far from arbitrary.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

haitfais posted:

In this case the definition would be "not published or acknowledged by the company that owns the intellectual property," and is far from arbitrary.

All fiction featuring characters and concepts not created by the original creator, that is done by someone who has even a cursory interest in them, is fanfiction. Just accept it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

All fiction featuring characters and concepts not created by the original creator, that is done by someone who has even a cursory interest in them, is fanfiction. Just accept it.

No. The concept is meaningless if you dilute it that far.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

He doesn't actually have to accept the inaccurate definition you just made up

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I don't have any strong opinions on fan fiction either way, and I don't really adhere to that belief since it actually makes fan fiction less distinctive but it's a good argument to use against assholes who yell at fan fiction writers because their work is "not legitimate"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't really adhere to that belief since it actually makes fan fiction less distinctive but it's a good argument to use against assholes who yell at fan fiction writers because their work is "not legitimate"

The best argument against those assholes is a block button, not easily debunked nonsense.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

haitfais posted:

The best argument against those assholes is a block button, not easily debunked nonsense.

If you're actually trying to get them to stop bullying 12 year old girls who are just starting to explore creative writing, especially IRL, it isn't. Then again, its not like they're going to listen anyway so you're probably right.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Replace "block button" with "banhammer" and it works either way, though that depends on a well-moderated community, which might be too much to ask. One might also counter the effects of internet bullying by offering said 12-year-olds encouragement and support, but I'll admit that might be too idealistic a perspective for the internet.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 14, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Where are creators yelling at 12 year old girls for writing fanfiction!?!?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

There are probably one or two, but I'm pretty sure Lightning Lord wasn't talking about creators. There are plenty of assholes on the internet willing to say horrible things to kids who dare to have Unapproved Fun with their fandom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some of my friends have kids in the 11-15 year old range and they draw the most embarrassing possible homestuck x markiplier x undertale anime looking fanart imaginable, and I just get a goofy smile on my face when I see it because they're kids and that's what kids do. I can't imagine being an rear end in a top hat about it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

That's to your credit, but given how long you've been on SA, I'm sure you can imagine those assholes existing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

haitfais posted:

It's just kind of an icky definition to be honest. A corporate doctrine shouldn't dictate how you take in or view a piece of fiction, and diminishing what Claremont-- someone who really was an unprecedented creative drive for a group of superheroes-- thinks because it's not the official company line seems silly. Especially for something where the subtext is really important for a lot of readers.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's just kind of an icky definition to be honest. A corporate doctrine shouldn't dictate how you take in or view a piece of fiction, and diminishing what Claremont-- someone who really was an unprecedented creative drive for a group of superheroes-- because it's not the official company line seems silly. Especially for something where the subtext is really important for a lot of readers.

No one is talking about dictating how anyone consumes or views fiction. We're talking about the difference between fanfiction and "officially" canonical material. Everyone decides for themselves how much they actually care about that distinction, and I can't make the case that there's a wrong answer to be found there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only acknowledge X-Men comics where they are all hedgehogs.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I'm going to assume without checking that at least one such comic exists.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

haitfais posted:

There are probably one or two, but I'm pretty sure Lightning Lord wasn't talking about creators. There are plenty of assholes on the internet willing to say horrible things to kids who dare to have Unapproved Fun with their fandom.

Yep. Plus I've worked with kids in the past and they're quite willing to give each other poo poo IRL for this sort of thing, and it can be really discouraging for some.

Endless Mike posted:

The animals or male adult actors?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah when you're talking about the actual events as portrayed in the comics it doesn't really matter whether you like the classification or not, the line of delineation is pretty clear. If it's in the books that are published it's part of the ongoing canon. If it's not then it's not. You can call it whatever you want in the second case be it simply ideas the author never got in, a hidden narrative, or fan fiction. It doesn't really matter what label you put on it it's all the same in this case. In a lot of cases someone will come along eventually and take the idea and make it part of the actual narrative though. For instance 10 years ago Iceman being gay was actual fan fiction and a theory a lot of people had. It's no longer fan fiction anymore because someone came along and brought it into the published storyline.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Issue #?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

haitfais posted:

That is arbitrary because it only applies to right now when that isn't the case for the 70s and 80s since both Kitty and Rachel were Claremonts through and through. Hell even part of the 90s.

Like I said arbitrary as gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/whoisrico/status/851845397094027264

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Yeah when you're talking about the actual events as portrayed in the comics it doesn't really matter whether you like the classification or not, the line of delineation is pretty clear. If it's in the books that are published it's part of the ongoing canon. If it's not then it's not. You can call it whatever you want in the second case be it simply ideas the author never got in, a hidden narrative, or fan fiction. It doesn't really matter what label you put on it it's all the same in this case. In a lot of cases someone will come along eventually and take the idea and make it part of the actual narrative though. For instance 10 years ago Iceman being gay was actual fan fiction and a theory a lot of people had. It's no longer fan fiction anymore because someone came along and brought it into the published storyline.

I am glad you agree the Rachel and Kitty thing is canon then.
Because it was not hidden at all.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is arbitrary because it only applies to right now when that isn't the case for the 70s and 80s since both Kitty and Rachel were Claremonts through and through. Hell even part of the 90s.

Like I said arbitrary as gently caress.

Guess what was never officially acknowledged in the comics Claremont was writing, or by the company he was writing them for? That's why the distinction isn't arbitrary. It was subtext, which could (and maybe should,) have found its way into the actual story, but didn't. Claremont's X-Men headcanon stopped mattering when he stopped writing X-Men.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why is it important to argue that editorial control of a story means that what the writer made subtext out of necessity is not any kind of text at all. Like, the Iliad doesn't have a specific stanza where Patroclus puts his dick inside Achilles, but it's widely understood that the two were complete gaybos.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haitfais posted:

Guess what was never officially acknowledged in the comics Claremont was writing, or by the company he was writing them for? That's why the distinction isn't arbitrary. It was subtext, which could (and maybe should,) have found its way into the actual story, but didn't. Claremont's X-Men headcanon stopped mattering when he stopped writing X-Men.

Subtext is just as valid as overt heavy handedness.

Saying it directly is completely unnecessary.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

haitfais posted:

I think Claremont's headcanon is pretty important

That would be like saying "Jack Kirby's headcanon about Orion stopped mattering when he stopped writing the New Gods" and if that doesn't feel like blasphemy, you're comic book fanning wrong.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Subtext is just as valid as overt heavy handedness.

Saying it directly is completely unnecessary.

Yeah thinking otherwise basically comic nerd stuff about like if continuity or canon counts or matters or if someone really died but applied to relationships, kinda funny.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 15, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: Somehow, I hosed up

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I think Claremont's headcanon is pretty important

That would be like saying "Jack Kirby's headcanon about Orion stopped mattering when he stopped writing the New Gods" and if that doesn't feel like blasphemy, you're comic book fanning wrong.

Sure, but that's Kirby. None of this stuff would even exist if it weren't for him, so his headcanon is arguably the word of God regardless of context. That's not to short-sell Claremont's contribution. The X-Men were dead in the water before he came along. That doesn't change the fact that everything he wrote had to be approved by authorities before publication. I fully believe that, were it permitted, Claremont would have made that subtext overt and official. Unfortunately, the final decision was not his, and Kitty/Rachel will never be officially sanctioned.

But, once again, you are under no obligation to give a poo poo about what's "officially" true. If believing that Kitty/Rachel is a thing makes the stories more enjoyable or authentic for you, then don't let pedants like me stop you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Also if someone digs up a Jack Kirby interview where he says "I always envisioned the ending of my Fourth World Saga to be Orion killing Darkseid, then Superman, then marrying Lois Lane and sending their own son Bruce Wayne back in time with the omega effect" that doesn't mean that canonically Darkseid is dead, nor that Orion married Lois Lane, or is Batman's dad. I am not a Claremont expert, so maybe there's just a poo poo ton of published subtext about their relationship the way there is about (say) Mystique and Destiny, but a writer of anything non-creator-owned who talks about what they thought maybe they'd do isn't exactly fan fiction but it also isn't "canonical" in a way that really lends any meaning to the word at all. Unless it's canon that Luke Skywalker is named Luke Starkiller because I mean technically framer's intent so both names are officially canon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Also if someone digs up a Jack Kirby interview where he says "I always envisioned the ending of my Fourth World Saga to be Orion killing Darkseid, then Superman, then marrying Lois Lane and sending their own son Bruce Wayne back in time with the omega effect" that doesn't mean that canonically Darkseid is dead, nor that Orion married Lois Lane, or is Batman's dad. I am not a Claremont expert, so maybe there's just a poo poo ton of published subtext about their relationship the way there is about (say) Mystique and Destiny, but a writer of anything non-creator-owned who talks about what they thought maybe they'd do isn't exactly fan fiction but it also isn't "canonical" in a way that really lends any meaning to the word at all. Unless it's canon that Luke Skywalker is named Luke Starkiller because I mean technically framer's intent so both names are officially canon.

Yeah but I'm sure you'd agree that despite it being work for hire, Claremont's word and opinion on the X-Men holds more value than Scott Lobdell's. Not that I'm saying you're implying that theyre equal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

All comic writing is at it's core fan fiction. Canon and not canon are by themselves nothing of importance. Though if you really want to go at it nothing in current Marvel canon disproves the Rachel kitty stuff.

Even if kitty is current,y in a relationship.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

All comic writing is at it's core fan fiction.

Once again, at that point fanfiction becomes meaningless as a concept. It's a pointlessly simplistic assertion that fails to recognise that corporate-owned, shared fictional universes have been a thing longer than television. Any argument that begins with this as a premise fails by default.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In presenting your argument as to why fanfiction must of necessity be an unambiguous term of definite meaning, you've both granted Kirby headcanon "word of God" in his position as a freelance artist contributing to a corporate-owned shared fictional universe, and removed it from Claremont due to him only contributing to a corporate-owned shared fictional universe under contract. While you argue about where one must draw a particular line in the sand you've obliterated another. Either the intent of the creator matters or it does not, regardless of how you classify it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haitfais posted:

Once again, at that point fanfiction becomes meaningless as a concept. It's a pointlessly simplistic assertion that fails to recognise that corporate-owned, shared fictional universes have been a thing longer than television. Any argument that begins with this as a premise fails by default.

I agree fan fiction in regards to corporate comics is meaningless as a concept.

That is like my whole point, it's a meaningless and arbitrary distinction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I found the first draft of Batman v Superman's script.

https://twitter.com/KidsWriteJokes/status/695659243270184960

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

This essay makes a good argument for why the Kitty stuff is an interesting edge case though. The argument is that Claremont could not express homosexuality, so instead he offers a subtextual gay romance.The author also makes an interesting argument for heterosexual romance to be textual requires a lower bar.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heyyyy I forgot to bookmark the chat thread again!

Hot take though using corporate ownership as your barometer for what's "real" in a madeup funnybook universe is a laughably pathetic position to hold and an ultimately insignificant side-effect of the horrific state of late-stage capitalism!

As far as I'm concerned Claremont created the X-Men, it wasn't really any good before he started and it's barely ever been good since he left, so I'm way more inclined to believe his takes on the characters, I really don't give a poo poo what a huge faceless corporation later published in some bad comics. "Canon" is a lie. I will always trust the creators of this medium. Without them this is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Hot take though using corporate ownership as your barometer for what's "real" in a madeup funnybook universe is a laughably pathetic position to hold and an ultimately insignificant side-effect of the horrific state of late-stage capitalism!

As far as I'm concerned Claremont created the X-Men, it wasn't really any good before he started and it's barely ever been good since he left, so I'm way more inclined to believe his takes on the characters, I really don't give a poo poo what a huge faceless corporation later published in some bad comics. "Canon" is a lie. I will always trust the creators of this medium. Without them this is nothing.

Agreed. :thermidor: to tyrants.

Also it was good to look at when Kirby and then Adams were drawing it, otherwise agreed. Well, there's Morrison and the likes of Jason Aaron and Si Spurrier.

• Locked thread