Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hey, Yakuza tried to go down both those paths!

*Yakuza series doesn't have Shogi in NA copies because no one will know how to play it*

gently caress them for cutting content!

*Yakuza series brings over Shogi mini-game*

Lol what the gently caress is this crazy foreign poo poo in my game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ohya coming over like she doesn't really know me during a day trip with Haru is offensively stupid writing. We've got a maxed S.Link. (I didn't date her because she's this game's Yukiko)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm on May 2nd. What activities/stat boosts should I be prioritizing in time slots when I can't hang out with Ryuji/Doc lady?

Do I need to boost Kindness to be able to hang out with Ann?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 14, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If it's raining, the diner, always.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Terper posted:

If it's raining, the diner, always.

For the Knowledge boost? I've already got Guts at 2. So is Knowledge so important that I should be studying in the evenings even when it's not raining?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PirateBob posted:

For the Knowledge boost? I've already got Guts at 2. So is Knowledge so important that I should be studying in the evenings even when it's not raining?

You need high Knowledge to interact with two of the best S. Links in the game, so hiking it up during rainy days at least is definitely to your benefit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

I'm on May 2nd. What activities/stat boosts should I be prioritizing in time slots when I can't hang out with Ryuji/Doc lady?

Do I need to boost Kindness to be able to hang out with Ann?

You need rank 2 Kindness to hang out with Ann but that's it, and you'll get that easily just by feeding nutrients to your plant and reading a book or two. You'll also need rank 2 Guts to hang out with Takemi (the doctor) past the first rank or two, and rank 3 Guts to unlock one of the most useful and funny confidants (Temperance), but that's not until June. After that, it's up to you. Make sure you always have a book on-hand in case you get some free time to read (you can get books from the school library), and if you can, try to have a Persona of the matching Arcana when you hang out with a confidant because it makes you get more affinity with them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ohya coming over like she doesn't really know me during a day trip with Haru is offensively stupid writing. We've got a maxed S.Link. (I didn't date her because she's this game's Yukiko)
my personal fave is mishima randomly forgetting that he knows you guys are the phantom thieves during the hawaii trip.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

You need rank 2 Kindness to hang out with Ann but that's it, and you'll get that easily just by feeding nutrients to your plant and reading a book or two. You'll also need rank 2 Guts to hang out with Takemi (the doctor) past the first rank or two, and rank 3 Guts to unlock one of the most useful and funny confidants (Temperance), but that's not until June. After that, it's up to you. Make sure you always have a book on-hand in case you get some free time to read (you can get books from the school library), and if you can, try to have a Persona of the matching Arcana when you hang out with a confidant because it makes you get more affinity with them.

So is Charm and Proficiency less important? Was gonna take a bath since it's Monday evening. I'm probably over-thinking this :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PirateBob posted:

So is Charm and Proficiency less important? Was gonna take a bath since it's Monday evening. I'm probably over-thinking this :v:

You're gonna need high ranks for pretty much all the stats at some point. For example, you need Charm 3 to begin the Star link, Charm 5 to continue Priestess past rank 5 and Proficiency 5 to continue Empress past rank 1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

my personal fave is mishima randomly forgetting that he knows you guys are the phantom thieves during the hawaii trip.
mishima is that JoJo Stand where he can only remember three things and any time he learns a fourth thing, he forgets the first thing

or he's just super super stupid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

every stat has at least 2 s. links locked behind it either at the start of halfway through. there's basically no stat you can ignore. proficiency is probably the least important, but then haru locks her s. link behind capping it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, you have more time than you think to level them up. All the stats are important, but a rank or two of Kindness and Guts are what you need for good early confidants.

To max out all your party member's confidants, specifically, you'll eventually need:
  • 2 Kindness for Ann (Lovers) and 4 Kindness for Hermit
  • 3 Knowledge to start Priestess
  • 5 Charm (max) at the halfway point for Priestess
  • 4 Proficiency around the halfway point for Emperor (don't know if you've met him yet) and 5 Proficiency (max) very early on for Empress
Outside of just party members, I think there's at least one confidant that requires you to max or nearly max each stat.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 14, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Okay, thanks guys. Gonna take the game a little less seriously and rather do a 100% completion 2nd playthrough later. :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Moltrey posted:

I'm so in love with the escalation of the heists. From castle to art museum to bank to Futaba's pyramid Even if the dungeon design leaves a lot be desired, I like them hitting a Who's Who of big places for thieves to break into

(Up Thru Palacce 5) Im really bummed they dont do more heist stuff like they did at the end of Madarames palace with winching Moragana down to steal the treasure. I was really hoping every palace would have a climax like that. I think its my biggest bummer about this game

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Not to mention max kindness for Hierophant :v:

If there's one change from previous titles I'm not fond of it's this, you've never had to depend on social stats this much in the other games.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

tradechop posted:

Not to mention max kindness for Hierophant :v:

If there's one change from previous titles I'm not fond of it's this, you've never had to depend on social stats this much in the other games.

Combined with 'Let's go to sleep' when you want to build up your stats, this is probably the most frustrating aspect of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remember Persona 3 having a few steep social stat requirements (didn't you need max Charm to start Yukari's social link?), but Persona 4 definitely backed off on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

lol the animation for a persona fusion failing owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Combined with 'Let's go to sleep' when you want to build up your stats, this is probably the most frustrating aspect of the game.

Whenever they release the inevitable updated version, they don't even need to add an extra month. Just make fewer non-Metaverse events eat up whole days when they don't need to. Any time Morgana would say, "Aren't you tired? Let's go to sleep," and it isn't because the player went to the Metaverse, cut that. That'd be enough room for a whole new loving confidant and a half easily.

I'd bet Persona 5 doesn't actually take more time away from you than Persona 4 did, but I think it's more blatant about it and doesn't justify it as well.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
You needed max courage to even start Fuuka's S. Link.

Also I went the entire game without seeing a single fusion accident, even when I was messing around with the Strength fusions.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think I've seen three so far and two were during Strength fusion chains. Which is awful because fusion accidents are unskippable for whatever reason

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where can I buy a TV??

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PirateBob posted:

Where can I buy a TV??

At the second hand shop near LeBlanc

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guess I should have known that (post palace 7 spoilers) beating Shido wouldn't be the end. About how long do I have left? I know I've still got to go back to Mementos at least once to wrap up Morganas stuff, but are there any other lengthy sequences apart from that?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I guess I should have known that (post palace 7 spoilers) beating Shido wouldn't be the end. About how long do I have left? I know I've still got to go back to Mementos at least once to wrap up Morganas stuff, but are there any other lengthy sequences apart from that?

Nope. Once you're forced into Mementos, you're locked into the plot until the game ends.

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

https://twitter.com/GetGEWD/status/852871279120089088

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there a good way to deal with Brutal Calvaryman/Berith in the 1st palace? He's weak to Ice magic I know but I don't have any, and although I can take him down he does alot of damage that I have to heal up. I am trying to reach the treasure in one go and I hope I'm not stretching myself to thin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The biggest issue this game has for me is that it's pretty heavily front and back loaded so while it's not a short game, the start feels pretty long and the end feels pretty short (because there's a handful of stuff that you can only do late and your time is precious). Haru joins way too late and doesn't even exist in the story until she's relevant barring one moment, Goro should probably be on the team before he is too even considering he's a very obviously telegraphed traitor.

The summer holidays are kind of devoid of truly interesting content though, so if they brought Haru forward to those, it'd probably have a better flowing feeling to it while also making it feel like you've got her around to play with for a significant amount of time.
I feel like this game is concurrently too long and not long enough to truly deliver the content it offers perfectly.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 14, 2017

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Is there a good way to deal with Brutal Calvaryman/Berith in the 1st palace? He's weak to Ice magic I know but I don't have any, and although I can take him down he does alot of damage that I have to heal up. I am trying to reach the treasure in one go and I hope I'm not stretching myself to thin.

Recruit a Silky, she knows Bufu.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Axetrain posted:

Run or get a persona with ice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Fusing a persona to give you that Ice magic is probably your best bet. Unless you're locked into the fight, there's no shame in running away from one, particularly if you're one shotting the dungeon. It's not easy to do that because of your limited SP.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Goro joining you for one dungeon and then bailing is a biiiit weak? Like if you wanted more emotional resonance, I feel having him join around August where I am, would be good. Have a new party for Futaba's dungeon rather than just a navigator by the end

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Moltrey posted:

Yeah Goro joining you for one dungeon and then bailing is a biiiit weak? Like if you wanted more emotional resonance, I feel having him join around August where I am, would be good. Have a new party for Futaba's dungeon rather than just a navigator by the end

Basically if you moved Haru and a Akechi back one dungeon I think the pacing would've felt much more natural. Haru would have significantly more time to grow and develop with the team and Akechi being around for 2 dungeons would make the traitor aspect feel a bit more substantial. The only issue is how they would've written an "In" for Haru during the summer given all her motivation is centered around her father but given she was already smitten with the Phantom Thieves anyways it wouldn't have been too much a stretch to come up with something I think.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
IMO people are way too much of babies about the you must sleep parts. They enable you a chance to save and also allows them to show events going around in the country through the television. The alternative would've been them forcing the evening to end like during the exams and even worst, during the cultural festival. If you want to reload to check out the different cultural festival dates you gotta reload all the way before it begins because there weren't any you must sleep during it. The games already balanced around in terms of time in that you can 100% the social links in your first playthrough even without a spreadsheet or following some gamefaq guide

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Basically if you moved Haru and a Akechi back one dungeon I think the pacing would've felt much more natural. Haru would have significantly more time to grow and develop with the team and Akechi being around for 2 dungeons would make the traitor aspect feel a bit more substantial. The only issue is how they would've written an "In" for Haru during the summer given all her motivation is centered around her father but given she was already smitten with the Phantom Thieves anyways it wouldn't have been too much a stretch to come up with something I think.

You could probably do it basically how it happens already have Ryugi and Morgana have the falling out when you're trying to get into Futaba's palace because of the stress and have Morgana run into Haru and recruit her that way.

You'd have to change Haru's link a bit, maybe move the more generic ranks up and lock her at 5 until you clear her dad's palace?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Whenever they release the inevitable updated version, they don't even need to add an extra month. Just make fewer non-Metaverse events eat up whole days when they don't need to. Any time Morgana would say, "Aren't you tired? Let's go to sleep," and it isn't because the player went to the Metaverse, cut that. That'd be enough room for a whole new loving confidant and a half easily.

I'd bet Persona 5 doesn't actually take more time away from you than Persona 4 did, but I think it's more blatant about it and doesn't justify it as well.

When the rank 1 Emperor confidant took me to the Metaverse I became very worried that I was gonna waste an evening. Thank poo poo that didn't happen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

IMO people are way too much of babies about the you must sleep parts. They enable you a chance to save and also allows them to show events going around in the country through the television. The alternative would've been them forcing the evening to end like during the exams and even worst, during the cultural festival. If you want to reload to check out the different cultural festival dates you gotta reload all the way before it begins because there weren't any you must sleep during it. The games already balanced around in terms of time in that you can 100% the social links in your first playthrough even without a spreadsheet or following some gamefaq guide

It'd be fine if it were one day every now and then, but the way it comes out is a solid week at a time.

It's even more egregious once you have Temp level 10 when you can phone to get your night slot back but you're not even allowed downstairs to phone for a massage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

it's not like it's ruining our perfect 100% playthrough, it just feels bad. it's a bad gamefeel. the social stuff is fun and it is not fun to have it taken away for weeks at a time. and iunno why either of those two things require them to cut off your time because you can save anywhere in the city at any time and they could just cut to the tv when your day ends no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Palace 7 do you get someone to replace goro or can I sell the gear I bought and customized for him