Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liverastic
Jul 25, 2004
I really hope we don't get to a trend where movies are made to accommodate the effectiveness of the teaser trailers for their sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Jesus Christ, MORE AT-AT battles? This isn't shaping up to be a clone of ESB at all, no sir!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Liverastic posted:

I really hope we don't get to a trend where movies are made to accommodate the effectiveness of the teaser trailers for their sequels.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if ANH ended with Luke saying "ok, now my next step is to go to Hoth," and he flies to Hoth, and you see an AT-AT in the distance and then the credits rolled, people would be less impressed when they first saw Hoth in ESB. But ANH doesn't do that because it's a fuckin awesome movie... it ends when its story ends without going further to explicitly set up a sequel.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I love how everybody's already proclaiming that Jedi is gonna be a trash fire based on the teaser.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Neo Rasa posted:

Clone Wars especially has tons of episodes where it's very very clear that the Jedi are dumbasses and bad. Not like "maybe the Jedi aren't so great either or the truth is in the middle" just straight "gently caress both of these sides so hard forever."

Ahsoka knew what was up. Love her "quit your bullshit" stance against the Jedi Order and just up and left. Best character.

VolticSurge posted:

I love how everybody's already proclaiming that Jedi is gonna be a trash fire based on the teaser.

Where, in this thread? I haven't read the star wars subreddit reaction yet.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Polo-Rican posted:

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if ANH ended with Luke saying "ok, now my next step is to go to Hoth," and he flies to Hoth, and you see an AT-AT in the distance and then the credits rolled, people would be less impressed when they first saw Hoth in ESB. But ANH doesn't do that because it's a fuckin awesome movie... it ends when its story ends without going further to explicitly set up a sequel.

I agree ANH ends where the story ends. But I also think TFA ends in the right place too. The point of the movie was finding Luke and they did. I think it'd have been a bad choice to have finding Luke be at the start of Episode 8 and would have hurt the flow of the narrative.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

VolticSurge posted:

No one is saying trash fire, don't make up narratives. People are saying another weak entry, following a weak rekindling with TFA.

It's not a particularly strong teaser but it's star war. It sells itself.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why do these land speeder things look familiar? Have they shown up someplace before or were they a concept from Ralph McQuarrie or something? I swear I've seen them.

Liverastic
Jul 25, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Well, this is what we get with serialization and marketing. Pretty much what Star Wars is built on anymore.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

AndyElusive posted:

Why do these land speeder things look familiar? Have they shown up someplace before or were they a concept from Ralph McQuarrie or something? I swear I've seen them or something similar someplace.

I think they look a lot like the shiny ship from episode 1, except not shiny.

edit: google says what i'm talking about is an "N-1 starfighter"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AndyElusive posted:

Why do these land speeder things look familiar? Have they shown up someplace before or were they a concept from Ralph McQuarrie or something? I swear I've seen them.

They look sorta like B-Wings too. But you're right in that they're probably from some old concept art.

Liverastic
Jul 25, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

They look somewhat like skeletonized naboo starfighters.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Finn needs to wake up doesn't he know the new teaser is really important and he should be up and at em for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alienwarehouse posted:

Jesus Christ, MORE AT-AT battles? This isn't shaping up to be a clone of ESB at all, no sir!

This is awesome because there'll be another wave of "well TECHNICALLY this is sort of a remake of a A New Hope so it's actually a very bad movie" because yeah the last thing I'd want for a movie is for it to be anything like one of the best movies ever made that's also in the same series.

VolticSurge posted:

For real it's not like we see the Jedi temple reduced to a trash fire or something in the teaser. Wait. :D

AndyElusive posted:

IIRC the pod race in Phantom Menace, while Anakin's vehicle had the loosely attached engines a lot of them still had that basic concept of the engines being on some "wings" whatever away from the main body.

teagone posted:

Ahsoka knew what was up. Love her "quit your bullshit" stance against the Jedi Order and just up and left. Best character.

Where, in this thread? I haven't read the star wars subreddit reaction yet.

For real Ahsoka is awesome. Even what people would say are the weaker earlier seasons she has a lot of lines that are just literally "Why do you keep saying it's our role to be peacekeepers we're like 14 and our role is already to murder whoever the Senate doesn't like until we die."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thoughts on the trailer

- I was really hoping they would get the fanservice out of their systems with the first one, prove that yes this is really Star Wars, you're allowed to like it, then do something more original with the second, not sure if the trailer bolsters that hope
- The color grading in some of the shots is obnoxious
- PAPER? IN MY STAR WARS?
- Great score, really elevates the whole thing
- "It's time for the jedi to end" couldn't agree more dude, if we're speaking metaphorically
- Lol:
- gently caress

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

VolticSurge posted:

You could say the same thing about how everyone thinks it's going to be awesome because of the teaser. Everyone has there own reaction to it, neither is right or wrong. To some, they're hyped as hell because of it, others found the trailer ineffective at creating any excitement for them. To each their own.

I did laugh at Luke's "Maybe it's time for the Jedi to die." line. Yeah, your dad already did that, remember?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

I did laugh at Luke's "Maybe it's time for the Jedi to die." line. Yeah, your dad already did that, remember?

It's like the reverse of those people that are only alive because of the Affordable Care Act but are fervent about how terrible it is. "Of course my father was a horrible person I just also think the Jedi should be wiped out."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
OK, so I'm gonna be the guy who thinks Luke's "its time to end the jedi" line is being intentionally being taken out of context, and that he won't actually be trying to end the jedi. Like he might be answering what Snoke is trying to do or some poo poo like that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am excited for what the direction and theme of this one is going to be, but the trailer itself let me cold because I JUST WANT TO SEE FINN BE AWAKE WHY IS HE A SLEEPYHEAD :'(

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

VolticSurge posted:

Who is doing this? I've seen mostly positive reactions, and despite some lack of excitement with the teaser, I haven't even seen a single person say the movie looks bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, so I'm gonna be the guy who thinks Luke's "its time to end the jedi" line is being intentionally being taken out of context, and that he won't actually be trying to end the jedi. Like he might be answering what Snoke is trying to do or some poo poo like that

It's probably something more along the lines that the Jedi need to take on a different role in the galaxy. Their poo poo didn't work for 1000 generations or whatever so something has to change. You're nuts if you think Disney is going to make sequels without lightsaber wielding space wizards.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
These new Star Wars look boring. I feel like the reasonable expectation for this is, like, Iron Man 3 level. There will be a big twist or something that will make people eat their own eyeballs.

Also, I hadn't really dwelled much on this, but man, one probable weakness of this movie is that Mark Hamill is not the world's greatest actor. He's not terrible or anything and I think he did a pretty good job in the OT, but this part will probably call for a level of complexity that might be beyond him. I mean Carrie Fisher RIP was terrible in TFA.

They should have just recast it. Jeff Bridges, says I.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Gimmie that space battle though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

These are two of the shots I was talking about with the color grading.

In the first one the coldness undermines the heat of the explosion in addition to the fakeness where can you subconsciously see the purple spreading on the edges where the software doesn't know how to grade. Something like this would be fine in an artsy movie or thriller, like where it was muted for this part or just playing music with no sound effects, but the dulling effect is really weird in Star Wars.

In the second one, does anything really need to be said? Same uncanniness, plus it's messing with the perfection of ocean sunsets, which are naturally graded already. And I'm pretty sure this isn't just to make the planet seem more alien because it's presented as totally Earthlike at the end of the first movie. What mood is it even supposed to convey?

Especially egregious cause Star Wars movies have had good sunsets and sunrises. Even the Force Awakens had that kickass Apocalypse Now shot.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

IronSaber posted:

Rest in peace, Black One. You were too awesome for this world.
His name's Finn and I'm pretty sure he's alive.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Lord Hydronium posted:

You got me. That's pretty good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gary Fisher is in attendance at celebration. This makes me very happy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure he'll get a new one with a slightly different paint job. That way Disney can sell TWO X-Wing toys this Christmas.

He'll get the ultimate fusion of east and west: the Gundam X-Wing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's okay, Finn will replace his lost ship in his heart

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsieurChoc posted:

He'll get the ultimate fusion of east and west: the Gundam X-Wing.

*insert joke about it being three times faster here*

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Alright people, George Lucas directly stated that the Jedi protect balance and bringing balance to the Force meant the Jedi getting rid of the Sith because the Dark Side represents imbalance. None of this "Equal amounts of both" or "The Truth is in the middle" stuff. The point of the Jedi in the Prequels was that they were "good" but had become distant and lost their way, not that the very concept of the Jedi was bad. The whole point of Luke taking up the Jedi mantle in Episode VII, "I am a Jedi, Like my father before me." is that he's going to make the Jedi what they were supposed to be and not repeat the same mistakes that led to the downfall of the old order.

It was only in the EU that writers misinterpreted the two sides of the Force as being two opposing extremes instead of Balance and Unity versus Imbalance and Chaos. Of course now Lucas no longer owns the rights to the new movies so Star Wars may end up with the problem that plagues many "shared" universes like comic books where different authors can have contradicting opinions on what's "true" or "in-character". I for one am apprehensive of the direction Luke's line in the trailer implies because I'm sick of the modern cynical idea that taking a side is always bad nothing is worth preserving. Hell the whole cornerstone of Star Wars is the Jedi being this mix of mythological and pulp style heroes. If you get rid of that then why even have Star Wars? Just find one of the any other thousand cynical military Sci-Fi media.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think one of my favorite trends of the Disney SW trailers is scoring original music for them. Every trailer from ESB to ROTS used existing score from the saga, but TFA and Rogue One have some great new stuff in them (I'm particularly fond of the Imperial March/Force theme from Rogue One's first full trailer). I'm pretty sure TLJ continues this - I recognize a lot of TFA themes in it, but not the arrangements.

galagazombie posted:

I for one am apprehensive of the direction Luke's line in the trailer implies because I'm sick of the modern cynical idea that taking a side is always bad nothing is worth preserving.
I'm guessing this is the equivalent of a "before" picture for Luke, and similar to R1's teaser ending with Jyn Erso in the TIE uniform - it's there to get people talking.

I agree that the whole "balance means you can't be too good" concept is silly. The Jedi failed because they forgot what it meant to do good, not because the entire concept of fighting the dark is bad.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 14, 2017

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

porfiria posted:

These new Star Wars look boring. I feel like the reasonable expectation for this is, like, Iron Man 3 level. There will be a big twist or something that will make people eat their own eyeballs.

Also, I hadn't really dwelled much on this, but man, one probable weakness of this movie is that Mark Hamill is not the world's greatest actor. He's not terrible or anything and I think he did a pretty good job in the OT, but this part will probably call for a level of complexity that might be beyond him. I mean Carrie Fisher RIP was terrible in TFA.

They should have just recast it. Jeff Bridges, says I.

What the gently caress is this

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Alright people, George Lucas directly stated that the Jedi protect balance and bringing balance to the Force meant the Jedi getting rid of the Sith because the Dark Side represents imbalance. None of this "Equal amounts of both" or "The Truth is in the middle" stuff. The point of the Jedi in the Prequels was that they were "good" but had become distant and lost their way, not that the very concept of the Jedi was bad. The whole point of Luke taking up the Jedi mantle in Episode VII, "I am a Jedi, Like my father before me." is that he's going to make the Jedi what they were supposed to be and not repeat the same mistakes that led to the downfall of the old order.

It was only in the EU that writers misinterpreted the two sides of the Force as being two opposing extremes instead of Balance and Unity versus Imbalance and Chaos. Of course now Lucas no longer owns the rights to the new movies so Star Wars may end up with the problem that plagues many "shared" universes like comic books where different authors can have contradicting opinions on what's "true" or "in-character". I for one am apprehensive of the direction Luke's line in the trailer implies because I'm sick of the modern cynical idea that taking a side is always bad nothing is worth preserving. Hell the whole cornerstone of Star Wars is the Jedi being this mix of mythological and pulp style heroes. If you get rid of that then why even have Star Wars? Just find one of the any other thousand cynical military Sci-Fi media.

They're not spelling out Luke's whole arc in the teaser. Obviously having him lose his academy and seeing another Sith-y establishment take root is going to take the starch out of your ideology. Surely training Rey is going to involve re-igniting whatever Jedi love he has so he can be a good guy again.

At least, that's what I'm gathering. But it's an intriguing hook.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Just came in for the first time in a while to start skimming around, and this page is all I need to justify staying far, far away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ammanas posted:

It's okay, Finn will replace his lost ship in his heart

Poe's clearly alive too? :confused:

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

The Glumslinger posted:

The movie will be 90% Luke just whining about old man things. His back hurts, theres nothing good to eat, he doesn't have any power converters, Rey didnt't bring him any presents, etc.

"No more Jedi!", Luke stomps and makes grumpy old man face.

literally a hog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 14, 2017

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

literally a hog posted:

"No more Jedi!", Luke stomps and makes grumpy old man face.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Anyone noticed TFA teaser and TLJ teaser both start with a character sweating and breathing heavily?

Poetry

• Locked thread