Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I'd say 50/50 might have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Why do people think that "flipped out laughing and SOBBING" is a normal reaction to that.

Lets pretend the situation did happen. Any normal (we're well past that point) person would have just laughed and said "ok see you soon" but laughing and sobbing? Why the hell does everything have to be so over the top

"are you ok" is the perfect response though

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why the hell does everything have to be so over the top

Because it's a pathetic game of one-upmanship to show that your life is more wacky than the other's.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Because it's a pathetic game of one-upmanship to show that your life is more wacky than the other's.

Exactly, it's just humor signalling. They're letting everyone know how funny and crazy their lives are. Their responding by laughing so hard that they were literally sobbing during the story suggests that the joke actually is that funny, even though it wasn't. It's just a lame as hell attempt to make their story seem funnier.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
because when your life is a grey and purposeless hell, you actually truly look at the people and situations in sitcoms with jealously and longing

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I could buy crying but sobbing is associated with grief and terror

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe they can't write and thinks sobbing just means making loud noises

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I loving hate that Tumblr trend of writing everything in capitals. At least that “I'm so furious/sad/literally shaking that I have forgotten how to spell“ bullshit seems to have disappeared, thank God

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

System Metternich posted:

I loving hate that Tumblr trend of writing everything in capitals. At least that “I'm so furious/sad/literally shaking that I have forgotten how to spell“ bullshit seems to have disappeared, thank God

WHAT IS THIS I CAN'T EVEN

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

WHAT IS THIS I CAN'T EVEN

No you have to escALATE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE TO SHOW THAT YOU'RE Raising your voice

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
What is the origin of the caps lock and why did it ever seem like a good idea? Is it a programming thing?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Caps lock ("shift lock") goes way back to at least manual typewriters.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Catberry posted:

What is the origin of the caps lock and why did it ever seem like a good idea? Is it a programming thing?

I think it's a typewriter holdover from when it took actual force to depress the key with your pinky long enough to write U WAN SUM FAC. Cramping up is no fun.

e;fb, etc.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Catberry posted:

Sure as hell makes using acronyms on my tablet easier, FWIW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Catberry posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The Caps Lock key is a modified version of the Shift lock key that occupies the same position on the keyboards of mechanical typewriters. An early innovation in mechanical typewriters was the introduction of a second character on each typebar, thereby doubling the number of characters that could be typed, using the same number of keys. The second character was positioned above the first on the face of each typebar, and the shift key caused the entire type apparatus to move, physically shifting the positioning of the typebars relative to the ink ribbon. Just as in modern computer keyboards, the shifted position was used to produce capitals and secondary characters.

Because the shift key mechanism on a mechanical typewriter requires more force to operate and is usually operated by the little finger on the left hand, it was difficult to hold the shift down for more than two or three consecutive strokes, therefore the introduction of the Shift lock key also helped out people with disabilities who could not hold down more than one key at a time. The Shift lock key was introduced so the shift operation could be maintained indefinitely without continuous effort. It mechanically locked the typebars in the shifted position, causing the upper character to be typed upon pressing any key.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

System Metternich posted:

Are you talking about the keyboard mashing thing like "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID THAT HNGNWZSUJGHEUO"? I've been seeing that a lot lately and I sigh internally every time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can just make something look like it came from Tumblr right? Like how there templates for other such memes?

It always really annoys me when you see the comments just descending down the page in that nesting style and you can almost tell people are just trying to outwit each other with some kind of funny comment or some sick burn so that a screenshot of their crowning achievement will last forever on facebook.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Crossposting from the IOSM thread:

This is a friend of mine from way back whose online presence has become restricted to his commercialized cosplay activities and defending himself from strawman attackers that almost certainly don't exist. If ever you tell him that maybe he should calm down and that nobody is sitting here judging him for his opinion on the Spiderman reboot or whatever, his wife jumps in and reminds you that WHAT HE NEEDS IS SUPPORT RIGHT NOW OMG EVERYONE LEAVE HIM ALONE. Behold the following exchange that is definitely a thing that happened in real life:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can just make something look like it came from Tumblr right? Like how there templates for other such memes?

It always really annoys me when you see the comments just descending down the page in that nesting style and you can almost tell people are just trying to outwit each other with some kind of funny comment or some sick burn so that a screenshot of their crowning achievement will last forever on facebook.

quote:

You won't believe what happened next!

quote:

Wow look at this awesome burn :o

Like and share!

quote:

| Hey did you see that thing?
| |
| |Oh that thing? You might say it's...pretty funny.
| |
| |
| | | OH MY GOD.
| | |
| | | | No way.
| | | |
| | | | | That's it, I AM DONE
| | | | |
|
|

And that's everything I see shared from tumblr onto facebook in a nutshell.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

InequalityGodzilla posted:

True story, in college one of the guys on the same level of my dorm had decided that he hated fruits and vegetables and decided that, since he was no longer under his parent's watchful eyes, he was no longer going to eat them. About 3 months after the year started he went to the campus health center complaining about constant tiredness and bruising easily. They told him to go to a real doctor because they didn't know what the gently caress.

The idiot turned out to have scurvy.

Any doctors out there?

I know there are some lovely diets out there but usually it takes years of just eating cheese and bread to catch scurvy in a developed country. Even then it's rare because people will accidentally ingest small amounts of vitamins.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Catberry posted:

Any doctors out there?

I know there are some lovely diets out there but usually it takes years of just eating cheese and bread to catch scurvy in a developed country. Even then it's rare because people will accidentally ingest small amounts of vitamins.

It's not easy but scurvy is vitamin C deficiency, and if you ingest none at all, you'll have scurvy within a month.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Catberry posted:

Any doctors out there?

There was a hospital here in Sydney that noticed a bunch of patients managing to get scurvy just from boiling all their veggies to death. It's definitely doable but you gotta work on it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Catberry posted:

Any doctors out there?

I knew a dude in college who claimed to have been coming down with scurvy after several months of garbage undergrad-apartment living, and if his story is representative, I'd imagine most of these cases are more "some dumb kid who eats nothing but canned chili hears about the symptoms of scurvy somewhere, notices his teeth are feeling kind of loose lately, works on eating an orange sometimes" than anything really life-threatening, and I completely buy that dumb college kids with terrible diets are giving themselves minor vitamin deficiencies. The guy I knew was definitely clueless enough to do it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
One of the Penny arcade guys got scurvy from eating like a goon iirc (at least he wrote that he got scurvy).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If someone in the modern era in a first world country is claiming to have scurvy, chances are great that they were just browsing webmd and saw a couple symptoms that matched what was wrong with them and they went with it. Some people go with colon cancer to freak out about, some people go with the funny sounding ones like scurvy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The amount of Vitamin C necessary to prevent scurvy is so tiny that the majority of people accidentally prevent themselves from getting it. You have to have the gooniest, spergiest diet (like a 19th century sailor eating nothing but salt pork and hardtack for months on end) to be deficient.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The amount of Vitamin C necessary to prevent scurvy is so tiny that the majority of people accidentally prevent themselves from getting it. You have to have the gooniest, spergiest diet (like a 19th century sailor eating nothing but salt pork and hardtack for months on end) to be deficient.

A little ketchup on your well done steak and you're as healthy as can be!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It looks like scurvy is actually pretty common among people who have really bad diets.

slate.com posted:

Over the next five years, the Springfield doctors measured vitamin C levels in about 120 patients who came in with a range of mysterious symptoms, such as fatigue, mood changes, rashes, headaches, or joint pain.

Twenty-nine had vitamin C deficiencies severe enough to qualify for scurvy—more than had been found in any other recent study. (The closest was a study from the Mayo Clinic that found 11 cases between 1976 and 2002.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/11/scurvy_is_common_and_should_be_diagnosed_and_treated.html

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I had to be out of the country for three months to get surgery in the US (weird insurance thing) and was the only one who really cooked in my two-goon house. My partner got doctor-diagnosed scurvy towards the end of my stay just from eating like crap so I absolutely believe the common goon is capable of clinical scurvy.
eta: I made fun of him relentlessly for this and he eats healthfully more frequently now (and takes a vitamin c supplement)

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Apr 14, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The easiest vitamin C supplement is drink some orange juice like twice a week.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

The easiest vitamin C supplement is drink some orange juice like twice a week.

It is Gin and Tonic with a lime.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

It is Gin and Tonic with a lime.

Also cures/prevents malaria :eng101:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Captain Monkey posted:

Also cures/prevents malaria :eng101:

Ain't no malaria in my liver, that's for sure. :beerpal:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

This could easily be legit.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bogan King posted:

This could easily be legit.

I think it got exposed as obviously stdh back when it originally happened. For the record they had a display of bottles filled with rainbow coloured liquids or something

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
it'd make a good username tho

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:discourse:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I love to annoy my classmates and ruin any chance they had of getting value out of the degree they're going into debt for also I make a point of never producing any insightful or novel points of view also I am probably a giant ball of grease and blubber because 6 pizzas what the gently caress also gently caress you frat boy only I am allowed to disrupt the class this is MY GIMMICK get your own!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Someone a lot smarter than me could probably reverse engineer this thing to figure out OPs age and social status based on who would consider the above story cool behavior.