Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Let's turn the middle east into a radioactive wasteland and call it peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The no state solution.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think all other countries should leave the Middle East alone, that any dictators or theocratic governments should set up fair democracies and quit/dissolve themselves, that ISIS should lay down their weapons and that terrorists from and inspired by the Middle East should stop perpetrating attacks.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pissflaps posted:

It didn't go wrong in 1991 either.

Ignoring the gassing of civilians doesn't seem very moral tbf.

Neither is ignoring the starving children everywhere else in the world, the children who work in factories in all over Asia for no pay and everything single loving thing to do with Saudi Arabia, but your government is perfectly happy to support those things. Pick a better hill to die on, you concern trolling sack of poo poo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think the govt does quite a bit of international development actually

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

Doesn't the UK have the second largest aid budget in the world?

Edit:

quote:

IN 2015 Britain gave away £12.1bn ($18.5bn) in foreign aid, more than any country bar America. It was one of just six countries to meet the UN’s target of spending 0.7% of GDP on international assistance.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I honestly think this country is the absolute greatest

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Breath Ray posted:

Even the little we do do is too much for a lot of people.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Personally I'd rather they finished the job in the 90s rather than impose sanctions.

Hahahaha "finished", brilliant. Thanks for that, needed a laugh.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

blowfish posted:

Let's turn the middle east into a radioactive wasteland and call it peace.

Ah, the Tacitus solution.

The Blairite just straight up said that the Iraq war was good, something I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone straight up admit again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Hahahaha "finished", brilliant. Thanks for that, needed a laugh.

I don't understand the joke.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand the joke.

This does not surprise me.
These things never finish - unless you are proposing Total Terrestrial Genocide (to paraphrase Thanos) that is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

This does not surprise me.
These things never finish - unless you are proposing Total Terrestrial Genocide (to paraphrase Thanos) that is.

I'm with you. I meant specifically finish the job of bring down Sadam Hussain's regime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I enjoyed and value your contribution to the debate. Please dont be put off sharing your opinions and experiences by an antagonistic minority.

I'm not surprised you're against evidence based arguing.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think we all know pissflaps doesnt like antagonistic minorities

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I don't understand this post.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand this post.

Too "urban" for you?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
im sure there is much u do not understand, fret not ol' flaps

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm with you. I meant specifically finish the job of bring down Sadam Hussain's regime.

What makes you sure that that timeline would be better? Might be worse.
Either way, this reality is the one we have to deal with here and now and hypothetical pasts wont help. e:Especially any that frame conflict as good.

JFairfax posted:

I thought he was one (in a UKMT context).

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 14, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Too "urban" for you?

I guess my main source of confusion is why it would be made by a known homophobe, transphobe and racist but he notionally thinks that Jeremy Corbyn is a good idea so I suppose you can put all that to one side, right?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't read rap sheets but yeah those are bad posts

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

What makes you sure that that timeline would be better? Might be worse.

Well, the 500,000 children apparently killed by sanctions brought against that regime following the first gulf war would presumably have survived?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Well, the 500,000 children apparently killed by sanctions brought against that regime following the first gulf war would presumably have survived?

Without massive advances in Multiverse observation technology we'll never know.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Without massive advances in Multiverse observation technology we'll never know.

We know they wouldn't die as a result of sanctions surely?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Say what you will about the Mail Online, they know how to target ads.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I guess my main source of confusion is why it would be made by a known homophobe, transphobe and racist but he notionally thinks that Jeremy Corbyn is a good idea so I suppose you can put all that to one side, right?

dont be a creep pissflaps

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

We know they wouldn't die as a result of sanctions surely?

In any world without those specific sanctions, yes. Plenty of other possibilities.
E: How about if we hadn't finished the job, and also didn't impose sanctions?

Namtab posted:

There's no such thing as the multiverse
But you believe in anime.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 15, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There's no such thing as the multiverse

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

In any world without those specific sanctions, yes. Plenty of other possibilities.

What do you mean?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

But you believe in anime.

Crunchyroll teaches us all that anime is real.

E: just think we could have created a power vacuum in iraq 2 decades ago instead, what a wasted opportunity

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What do you mean?

:confused:
Okay, maybe finishing the job meant a longer, harder, bloodier fight and some, all or more died then.
Or, we finished the job smartish and quickly but mishandled whatever replacement was put in place leading to local unrest and violence that also might kill them.
Or,

EmptyVessel posted:

Or,

E2:

Namtab posted:

Crunchyroll teaches us all that anime is real.
I may play with my food, I rarely look to it for life lessons.

Namtab posted:

E: just think we could have created a power vacuum in iraq 2 decades ago instead, what a wasted opportunity
Zigackly!

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 15, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Say what you will about the Mail Online, they know how to target ads.

Actually, it's probably the programmatic vendor that Tesco use for their online advertising picking out a page that's been highlighted as having drink relevant content (they keyword may be triggering that) and the Mail, bastards that they are, most likely have nothing to do with it short of offering up the ad space.

edit: it may also be retargeting. Have you been to tesco online lately?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Getting away from parallel universes for a minute, it's pretty annoying that Labour's 'policy blitz' has been totally eclipsed today by a flurry of articles about a Labour MP blaming Corbyn for the loss of a council seat.

I mean regardless of whether you are pro or anti Corbyn, this constant deliberate self-sabotage is going to cause huge amounts of resentment with a lot of people. If they do succeed in getting rid of Corbyn I question whether they can go on to win having so totally alienated his current supporters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is Tom mouthing off again?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is Tom mouthing off again?

No, this time just a nobody backbencher. It's still enough to spark a news article on every major outlet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

No, this time just a nobody backbencher. It's still enough to spark a news article on every major outlet.

Sorry, I mean, Tom Blenkinsop, Middlesbrough South MP, I think his area covers Coulby and he tends to spend a lot of time whingeing about Corbyn.

E: Yyyyeep, it's him.

Really making it hard for me to vote for you, Tom.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 15, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jabby posted:

Getting away from parallel universes for a minute, it's pretty annoying that Labour's 'policy blitz' has been totally eclipsed today by a flurry of articles about a Labour MP blaming Corbyn for the loss of a council seat.

If it's any consolation, Good Friday is a notoriously poo poo day for people actually paying attention to the news, so if you're going to have someone get a flurry of articles undermining Corbyn having it happen on a day when the majority of people aren't paying attention is better than the alternative. The story won't have legs through to Tuesday, and in turn got overwhelmed by US foreign policy news and the Sun being poo poo.

Still annoying that you get these stories during policy blitzes though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry, I mean, Tom Blenkinsop, Middlesbrough South MP, I think his area covers Coulby and he tends to spend a lot of time whingeing about Corbyn.

E: Yyyyeep, it's him.

Really making it hard for me to vote for you, Tom.

Write to him asking him not to undermine policy announcements

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I could, I don't really want to read his response but I suppose I could write, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Doesn't the UK have the second largest aid budget in the world?

Edit:

The problem is there's aid and there's "aid". Quite apart from the fact that almost 10% of the budget goes straight to consultancies, including the usual suspects in the accountancy world, only about 15% of it goes on what most people think of as aid - food, water, clothing, etc. Of the remainder, the majority goes on subsidising projects overseas on the proviso they use British goods and services, so most of it ends up straight back in the UK (well probably in various EU tax dodges) as a lot of it goes to companies like Carillion, JCB, and of course BAE because export guarantee credits for British-made killing machines still qualify as "foreign aid". This is why we keep getting stories about the huge amount of "aid" given to countries like India despite them doing quite nicely economically right now.

I mean of course a lot of that marginal "aid" is still doing good things - a big chunk of the money given to Pakistan that made people harrumph so much was used on building or repairing internal communications and improving farmland in the Swat valley, something that did far more to loosen the grip of the Taliban in the area than all of the shootbangs that we could have bought with the money could ever have hoped to. If lining the pockets of Tory donors is the overhead we have to pay to get that sort of work done, then that's about the best we can hope for nowadays, innit?

• Locked thread