Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

KKKLIP ART posted:

Nah I liked it. Studies show that acceptance goes way up when you get to know someone on a personal level, so showing someone from bumfuck nowhere can love a trans individual because they are a good person is a good thing.

I like how Probst just called it out and was like "Varner, right?" and said GTFO

Ahem Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is not bumfuck nowhere. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not voting is basically Jeff's way of saying "gently caress you" on Survivor. Its why he never gives the quitters the dignity of a Survivor exit. And like compare it to last week where he made a big deal of Sandra's exit. The torch snuffing and vote and "the tribe has spoken" is considered a right of passage and ritual to those guys so not letting Varner go through it unphased was a message.

There's not a lot that I can say that hasn't already been said. I'm not sure how Varner could read things so well leading up to that and then get things so wrong. I definitely want to be able to excuse it as the wear and tear of Survivor on your mind but the fact that he thought it showed Zeke was deceptive is just gross.

I mean, Zeke can forgive him so I forgive him. I hope he's sincere in his apology and I hope he can grow from it and not let the guilt tear him down. If he's faking... well, he wouldn't be the first really lovely person to play the game. And I guess I'm in the unique position that I never really liked Varner and always thought he was kind of a snake. But like, I wasn't expecting that at all.

The odd thing for me is I only got around to watching this tonight and I saw a quick image of Zeke in a news headline online today, so I thought I had spoiled myself on Zeke going home. I spent like that entire buildup trying to figure out how Varner was going to mastermind Zeke's demise only for that to happen. And I actually had no idea Zeke was trans so I really didn't see that coming at all.

But I do enjoy that Corinne found a way to somehow come off worse.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Someone brought up Russel Hantz's twitter. I don't recommend you read it.

I wouldn't recommend reading it, because you'd end up seeing Russel Hantz's opinions, which are dumb, and bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This one's really sitting with me. I'm just laying here thinking about it and unable to start something else up.

Man, that was gross, Varner. Not cool.

And man, I dont believe in edit reading but how about Culpeper basically getting the "greatest dude in the world" edit in the same episode Varner comes off like the biggest scumbag? That's a hell of a narrative turnaround from "gently caress Brad Culpepper!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

This one's really sitting with me. I'm just laying here thinking about it and unable to start something else up.

Man, that was gross, Varner. Not cool.

And man, I dont believe in edit reading but how about Culpeper basically getting the "greatest dude in the world" edit in the same episode Varner comes off like the biggest scumbag? That's a hell of a narrative turnaround from "gently caress Brad Culpepper!"

Brad is probably getting the best overall edit out of everyone, he even managed to stay cool when Debbie was going nuts on him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wonder how much of that is just genuinely Culpepper playing a great social game and how much of it is the producers feeling they let the edit get away from them a little last time with him and Candice's vendetta against him and trying to make up for it.

I mean, I don't think it was entirely undeserved last time but he seemed generally well liked last time too (and was just kind of an overtly backstabby player) and a lot of that hate was definitely​ kicked up by Candice. Culpepper seemed like a weird addition to this cast but everything makes a lot more sense if they liked the guy and just thought they owed him a makeup edit/play. It feels a bit like when the refs/umps make a call to fix a bad call.

Which isn't to say I don't think he's playing a good social game. He definitely seems to be. And he seems to be trying to be less overt in his gameplay this time around and come off less like the guy calling shots and backstabbing people.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 14, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Who are people rooting for going into the merge, anyway? All my favourite people (Malcolm, Sandra, Varner) got picked off. I guess it's Cirie for me at the moment, maybe Michaela. Not sure how good their actual chances are, however.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

I wonder how much of that is just genuinely Culpepper playing a great social game and how much of it is the producers feeling they let the edit get away from them a little last time with him and Candice's vendetta against him and trying to make up for it.

I mean, I don't think it was entirely undeserved last time but he seemed generally well liked last time too (and was just kind of an overtly backstabby player) and a lot of that hate was definitely​ kicked up by Candice. Culpepper seemed like a weird addition to this cast but everything makes a lot more sense if they liked the guy and just thought they owed him a makeup edit/play. It feels a bit like when the refs/umps make a call to fix a bad call.

Which isn't to say I don't think he's playing a good social game. He definitely seems to be. And he seems to be trying to be less overt in his gameplay this time around and come off less like the guy calling shots and backstabbing people.

I'm sure production loved him. He got on the show despite losing the fan vote in Second Chances. They want us to see what they see in him.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Who are people rooting for going into the merge, anyway? All my favourite people (Malcolm, Sandra, Varner) got picked off. I guess it's Cirie for me at the moment, maybe Michaela. Not sure how good their actual chances are, however.

Aubrey, because she's the last on my draft. But we haven't been getting much of her.

I'd like to see Brad do well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really have anyone I'm actively rooting for after Sandra. But I don't have anyone I'm really actively rooting against either so that's kind of more powerful to me.

Well except Debra. Don't like Debra.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do you get everyone's names wrong intentionally? Debra. Audrey.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugh. Yeah, I'm just super bad with them and make "sounds similar" screwups like that all the time. Always have. Can't explain it. My brain just sucks with names.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shneak posted:

I think it's safe to say Varner will never be back to make a merge.

That was draining.

Heroes v villains 2

somehow more hated than Russell Hantz

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jesus Christ. That episode.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm really, really proud of how every single other person on the tribe reacted to Varner. :kimchi: They all had such explosive and visceral reactions IMMEDIATELY and you could tell it didn't have anything to do with the game.

nerox
May 20, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

http://funny115.com/v3/84.htm This is a pretty good article about the whole "gently caress You Brad Culpepper" thing. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of past seasons like a lot of people in this thread, so someone else would need to say if it is a fair analysis of the whole thing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It is, he wasn't actually that bad of a guy.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The bizarrely casual way Varner went from Survivor talk to transgender talk reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UD2t3LImII

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 14, 2017

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
On the topic of Brad, I just watched an unaired Cirie confessional about him. She's a great social player so her take is worth hearing; she says Brad tells a lot of crude jokes but he really loves his wife, so overall she's mildly positive about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DntriRlFJyA

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

aidoru posted:

Debbie lied about her time on exile ("no flint! :qq:") and marveled that she was the first person to observe tribal and not be on the jury (she's not). Varner talked to Zeke about how he lied to him and Zeke lied again by saying "you and me to the end" and Varner bought it again.

Wait. Technically, Debbie didn't lie. There was no flint on the yacht.

And I'm wondering if they are grooming Cochran to take over for Probst. That would make me sad. Probst is yummy to watch.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

gingersmurf posted:

Wait. Technically, Debbie didn't lie. There was no flint on the yacht.

And I'm wondering if they are grooming Cochran to take over for Probst. That would make me sad. Probst is yummy to watch.

Counterpoint: Cochran. :3: I haven't watcher Survivor in years, but I am unemployed and watching old seasons to keep my mind sedated, and I have the most insane crush on Cochran. Also, the way Corrine speaks about gay people is disgusting. She needs a good yelling at.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Please don't make me think of Cochran all the time on Survivor. Hopefully he's just writing more bad CBS sitcoms.

nerox posted:

http://funny115.com/v3/84.htm This is a pretty good article about the whole "gently caress You Brad Culpepper" thing. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of past seasons like a lot of people in this thread, so someone else would need to say if it is a fair analysis of the whole thing.

I mean, its fair as long as you consider that Lanza is a comedy writer and his style is exaggeration. So he really oversells the "Brad is a great person who was the victim of evil Candice" because thats the joke. But there's truth to it.

My take? Which probably has flaws and things I'm misremembering?

Culpepper formed an all guys alliance right away and took control of his tribe. He then pulled his "dad/husband" thing with the women about how the men basically controlled their fates but it came off condescending and misogynistic. "Mansplaining" stuff. The Funny 115 article makes it sound like Candice turned Marissa against Brad but I'm pretty sure Marissa was already pretty pissed off at him for the way he was talking down to her, and that the other women felt the same. Candice definitely did hold a grudge and sparked up the hate in Exile in an intentional desire to play her own game and try and target Brad. And then Brad backstabbed his closest ally, Candice's husband, and the couple had nothing to do except make out on the beach and hate Brad Culpepper.

So like, I think it was 1 part Candice, 1 part the game circumstances, and 1 part Brad. He's not innocent but it never would have gotten so bad if (a) there wasn't an Exile Island and (b) it wasn't Blood vs Water. He's benefited from not being in a lot of Tribals and having a lot of low pressure time to bind. And like if people feel the same misogyny and bossiness they did in S1 he'll have gotten a little immunization from it thanks to Debbie's insane accusations. I'm curious to see if he can keep this up once the merge happens and he has to play more, but he's definitely benefited by having 3 weeks of low pressure play to bond whereas he was thrown right into the poo poo last time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Has Cirie gone to tribal yet?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

Has Cirie gone to tribal yet?

Nope

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gingersmurf posted:

There's no way. Cochran doesn't have 10% of the Charisma that Probst has. There's really no way I could see Cochran taking over the hosting position of Survivor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it would be really bad.

They just like the guy and he's connected to CBS. So he was an easy get. Its why he shows up at reunion shows in prominent spots and all that stuff too. He's just part of the CBS/Survivor production "family."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they wanted a former survivor to host, the first person they'd ask would almost certainly be Colby.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
So I have never watched an episode of Survivor until a couple of weeks ago and I'm making my way through some old seasons.
I'm on Season 7 now and Johnny loving Fairplay just faked his Grandmothers death :psyduck:

I can't even decide if that's the worst or the best play ever. I have no idea how that guy ever made it this far, but I hope there are people just as weird in the later seasons.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

If they wanted a former survivor to host, the first person they'd ask would almost certainly be Colby.

Boston Rob?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
So Varner got now fired as well.
poo poo sucks. http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/got...e6ac9ecaa3.html

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eezee posted:

So I have never watched an episode of Survivor until a couple of weeks ago and I'm making my way through some old seasons.
I'm on Season 7 now and Johnny loving Fairplay just faked his Grandmothers death :psyduck:

I can't even decide if that's the worst or the best play ever. I have no idea how that guy ever made it this far, but I hope there are people just as weird in the later seasons.

It was the best since no one had thought of it before, and aside from Sandra it worked really well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Should be Richard Hatch though.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Nexal posted:

So Varner got now fired as well.
poo poo sucks. http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/got...e6ac9ecaa3.html

“It’s unfortunate that you can’t see the entire tribal. I wish they put that as a secret scene or something,” Varner told EW. “When I was talking about the deception of the secret alliance and trying to sway everybody else, there was a moment where Zeke looked at me — this was edited out of the show — and he said ‘There is no deception, I’m not deceiving anybody.’ And when he said that, my question just came out of my mouth to him.”

Does it seem like after all this time, after all the thinking about this that he has to have done, he still doesn't... get it?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Eezee posted:

you're gonna love season 19

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Is there some kind of guide of what seasons are worth watching? 34 seasons is a lot and I'm sure that not all of them have a cast that's as great as Pearl Islands.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

obliriovrons posted:

“It’s unfortunate that you can’t see the entire tribal. I wish they put that as a secret scene or something,” Varner told EW. “When I was talking about the deception of the secret alliance and trying to sway everybody else, there was a moment where Zeke looked at me — this was edited out of the show — and he said ‘There is no deception, I’m not deceiving anybody.’ And when he said that, my question just came out of my mouth to him.”

Does it seem like after all this time, after all the thinking about this that he has to have done, he still doesn't... get it?

I bet he's also misremembering the context. It's amazing how bad or brain is at memory during traumatic events, and even though the trauma had to do with him acting like human garbage, it's still trauma.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Eezee posted:

Is there some kind of guide of what seasons are worth watching? 34 seasons is a lot and I'm sure that not all of them have a cast that's as great as Pearl Islands.

We used to have one in the OP, but it's really subjective so it tended to devolve into a slap fight. Ask anybody and you'll get a different answer.

If you're looking for insane casting, season 12 is really good. Bonus Cirie and goon favorite Shane Powers.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Ok, thanks. I'll just watch the first few episodes of every season and if I don't care about the people I'll skip to the next one.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Just skip survivor one world and watch the rest.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eezee posted:

Sure. I'll make one real quick for you.

-Season 1: Borneo (only if you care about the origins of Survivor. Otherwise not that great)
-Season 2: Australian Outback (same as above)
-Season 7: Pearl Islands
-Season 15: China
-Season 18: Tocantins
-Season 28: Cagayan

I edited out seasons with returning players. If you liked Pearl Islands, I assume you liked the ensemble cast. These fit pretty well.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

I very much enjoyed the ensemble, but in season 6 I pretty much only liked Rob and it was great. Thanks though.

The better question would have probably been what seasons people didn't enjoy at all.

• Locked thread